Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Former Human posted:

Next they can do a Jolt, except Ford already beat them to it with their transmission problems!!

Subscribe to Floatplane for more car jokes.

AutoLinked or DestinationAddress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I got chevy puns for that episode too:

Videos on Hold
Should have Sold
Now gonna Fold

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

he just makes good content with little bloat. no sponsor spots, no clickbait thumbnails, no ridiculous over-produced intros, no lame scripted jokes. just nuggets and exploding earbuds. i'm glad he can make a good living off of that

and frank. don't forget frank.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Really dumb question but is DankPods the same one who does batshit insane drum videos? I have absolutely no rhythm but now I know what a Zildjian is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fragrag posted:

Really dumb question but is DankPods the same one who does batshit insane drum videos? I have absolutely no rhythm but now I know what a Zildjian is.

Yep, that's him!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

hot hatches > super cars so unfortunately i have to give it to linus on this one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Former Human posted:

Next they can do a Jolt, except Ford already beat them to it with their transmission problems!!

Subscribe to Floatplane for more car jokes.

you know what else is going to give you a jolt?

this surprise segue

to our sponsor!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

Yep, that's him!

wait, is he the same guy who does iPod customization and history videos?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That too. I originally only knew him from his Simpsons music way back when, and he talked about how his main hustle at the time was fixing and restoring old iPods to sell on eBay. I found out about his success last year when I was upgrading my headphones, I'm glad things are working out for him.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

wait, is he the same guy who does iPod customization and history videos?

that was how the dankpods channel started, but that well dried pretty quickly and he pivoted to looking at tons of strange or bootleg mp3 players and doing more casual audio gear reviews. he also has a pretty funny car channel about him and his buddy james repairing old junkers: https://www.youtube.com/@GarbageTime420

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
A few years ago Wade got super lucky and iirc found an old hard drive with a fat dogecoin wallet on it, so he stopped worrying about being a gigging jazz drummer and combined that with the patreon to go full hog and start a few other channels and just make audiovisual shitposts full time.

He also got a warehouse and turned it into a combination filming studio/drum museum/streaming area/maintenance garage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

A few years ago Wade got super lucky and iirc found an old hard drive with a fat dogecoin wallet on it, so he stopped worrying about being a gigging jazz drummer and combined that with the patreon to go full hog and start a few other channels and just make audiovisual shitposts full time.

He also got a warehouse and turned it into a combination filming studio/drum museum/streaming area/maintenance garage.

pretty sure he said he actively invested in dogecoin before the bubble and sold at the peak. we can pretend he just found an old wallet he mined on for a day though.

this is the only car channel i watch. i choose to believe this is what all car maintenance is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OKgREcHFM

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
That video simultaneously is basically a work of art, and is closer to actual tech than anything LTT does.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

He’s not an anything expert, other than YT algorithm manipulation.

I think this is the appeal. It's a bunch of dumb guys messing around doing dumb computer stuff and figuring stuff out as they go along. I love this stuff! It's a guilty pleasure for sure but I really like all the videos about them breaking their servers and hacking together stuff out of spare parts etc. It's in no way good IT practice but it's computer top gear, I don't expect that. I hope they never hire a full time qualified IT guy for that reason. Them pawing at stuff and loving up and sometimes getting stuff working as time goes on is the whole appeal of the channel for me.

The problem is this attitude doesn't really work when you're trying to be a serious review channel. I never really understood why he wanted to be this considering his ethos is kind of at odds with that. Reviews generate a ton of views I guess, they're relatively easy to film, and there will always be some 13 year olds taking them as gospel so it's good that he WANTS to make the accurate, but again, it's kind of at odds with the way they run their whole operation.

That ethos also doesn't fit with all the stuff you have to do to make a larger company a decent place to work. At a certain point you have to have processes in place and a degree of professionalism behind the camera. I suspect this is a growing pain a lot of small businesses have to go through. Really the main path forward here is for him to completely divorce himself from the business/operations side and just focus on the creative stuff. It looks like this is what he's trying to do but he needs to fully commit to it and stop loving airing all this poo poo out on social media lmao

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

TheOneVader posted:

As someone who used to watch all of LTT's videos, as well as Doug DeMuro, I always skipped LTT's car reviews. Why would I care about Linus's opinion on the Corolla? He's not a car expert, this isn't a car channel. It felt like a weird stretch for their content.
Wait, LTT actually does car reviews? I thought that was a joke. Why would anyone care what he thinks about cars.

That said, I would however watch Jeremy Clarkson review computer hardware.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

slidebite posted:

Wait, LTT actually does car reviews? I thought that was a joke. Why would anyone care what he thinks about cars.

i think it's fun to hear more normal people who aren't car-brained to talk about cars. sometimes it's nice to hear someone normal like alex (clark) complain about how insane the infotainment system is rather than going on about engine specs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

slidebite posted:

He started his career reviewing Amstrad games so he might have something useful to say hahahaha no he'd just bolt a supercharger to a DH-15 somehow and drive the PC tower around the nurburgring

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
doesn't der8bauer also review cars

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

I suspect this is a growing pain a lot of small businesses have to go through.

I worked for a couple of companies that started out as small businesses; one underwent the growing pains you mentioned as they tried to transition from a small company with mostly college-aged dudes working there part-time, to a slightly bigger company with people who actually had degrees and certifications and work experience (and the attendant office politics).

The other company struggled with the changes from being a smaller, privately-owned manufacturing company (and also generally a boys' club, as all the VIPs and managers were drinking and golfing buddies, who often chose their secretaries based on appearance over competence) to being sold to a much larger company. And to a company that was a European one to boot, meaning the big bosses all chafed at having to take orders from someone in Germany or the UK or wherever.

In both cases a lot of the original guys ended up just leaving, but it was definitely interesting seeing people trying to navigate the change from working for a company where management didn't give a poo poo so long as work got done (or you were friends with the right people), to actually having standards and policies that were being enforced.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

slidebite posted:

I always got the impression it was Alex driving the car reviews- he seems to be quite into cars and his hack/bodge/engineering jank is quite reminiscent of old Top Gear challenges. Why linus had to be involved I have no idea

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hra Mormo posted:

That video simultaneously is basically a work of art, and is closer to actual tech than anything LTT does.

Wade basically lucked into a state where he can pay his friend to gently caress around with him to make janky cars and electronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkMjoM2z6co

The way james just brightly "oh it needs that" when wade dashes out yelling at him that he bought an MP5 player for the donkey van as soon as he arrives in the morning

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

James' channel is pretty good too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Generic Monk posted:

It's in no way good IT practice but it's computer top gear, I don't expect that.

The problem is this attitude doesn't really work when you're trying to be a serious review channel. I never really understood why he wanted to be this considering his ethos is kind of at odds with that.

It's amazing that Linus somehow didn't realize that he was doing computer top gear, and that millions of people watch him half-rear end building a PC around a custom waterblock for the same reason they watch jeremy clarkson half-rear end building a carboat and then sink in a lake.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yeah I'm pretty sure Dankpods guy made a fortune investing in crypto. I think he just dipped in, sold it at its peak, an dipped out? He doesn't seem like some true-believer in crypto because he's never talked about it outside of about 2 instances and crypto guys will never shut up about it as we all know.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Klyith posted:

It's amazing that Linus somehow didn't realize that he was doing computer top gear, and that millions of people watch him half-rear end building a PC around a custom waterblock for the same reason they watch jeremy clarkson half-rear end building a carboat and then sink in a lake.

lol imagine if Jeremy Clarkson ever had the temerity to be like "actually we want to do rigorous scientific testing, such that we become the technical review authority on cars"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Klyith posted:

I think that tends to happen a lot with people who initially get noticed because they're goofy or funny or whatever, and who manage to spin that into a career where they're highly successful being goofy or funny, until the day comes when they suddenly decide they want to be taken seriously.

With actors, it's going from screwball raunchy comedies to "serious roles". With standup comedians, it's going from "telling jokes on stage" to "preaching unfunny and tedious bullshit". With Linus, it's going from "Jackass, but with tech" to, well, whatever the gently caress it is he's been trying to do lately.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Dankpods guy made a fortune investing in crypto. I think he just dipped in, sold it at its peak, an dipped out? He doesn't seem like some true-believer in crypto because he's never talked about it outside of about 2 instances and crypto guys will never shut up about it as we all know.

By his own admission he knew nothing about crypto back then and knows nothing about it now, it might as well have been a lotto ticket

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

With Linus, it's going from "Jackass, but with tech" to, well, whatever the gently caress it is he's been trying to do lately.

"I'm Johnny Knoxville, and this is Inside the Actors' Studio"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol imagine if Jeremy Clarkson ever had the temerity to be like "actually we want to do rigorous scientific testing, such that we become the technical review authority on cars"

i think by a law of the universe then james may would spontaneously turn into a brash loudmouthed rear end in a top hat

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean Clarkson and co did do that schtick a few times and proceeded to very obviously ham it up for comedic effect. The tech youtuber equivalent would be something like trying to cool down a barbecue with a Noctua NH-D15.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
fortunately for us, Jeremy Clarkson is and has always been a tory poo poo who doesn't believe in science, so we never had to see that question answered

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Generic Monk posted:

I hope they never hire a full time qualified IT guy for that reason.

They put up a job posting for a full time Systems Administrator a few months ago. I took a look at it and had considered applying until I saw that the salary was almost half than what I was making currently.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m imagining him saying this either on the beach after doing an amphibious landing in a ford fiesta or while the reliant robin space shuttle lawn darts.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

They put up a job posting for a full time Systems Administrator a few months ago. I took a look at it and had considered applying until I saw that the salary was almost half than what I was making currently.

How much were they offering?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m surprised they have sys admins. They seem like the kind of place that would just make the tech review folks do all the back end stuff too

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

MustardFacial posted:

They are all family, and it is really greedy of you to expect you multimillionaire family to pay you a decent wage.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’m surprised they have sys admins. They seem like the kind of place that would just make the tech review folks do all the back end stuff too

That's been literally the case

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ok Comboomer posted:

Well there's the bit where Clarkson and May actually did do serious, traditional car reviews before Top Gear, for serious car magazines and the old incarnation of Top Gear which was a totally different, straight-laced show. And even the Clarkson-May-Hammond incarnation started out as "funny and quirky but also serious reviews" before progressing to the complete looney tunes era.

So TBQH even the LTT as computer Top Gear analogy isn't very accurate: Top Gear generally approached being idiotic from a position of real knowledge. Was why it was so good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked the early days of the funnier format of Top Gear before it just got too ridiculous and before it was apparent that Clarkson is definitely a complete rear end in a top hat instead of just playing one on TV.

A youtube channel I like along those early day lines is "Throttle House" where they do decent car reviews with funny banter as well. One of them is even a brit!

In one episode he almost slams a GT40 into a wall during a wet track run and it was a shocking and too real moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klyith posted:

Well there's the bit where Clarkson and May actually did do serious, traditional car reviews before Top Gear, for serious car magazines and the old incarnation of Top Gear which was a totally different, straight-laced show. And even the Clarkson-May-Hammond incarnation started out as "funny and quirky but also serious reviews" before progressing to the complete looney tunes era.

So TBQH even the LTT as computer Top Gear analogy isn't very accurate: Top Gear generally approached being idiotic from a position of real knowledge. Was why it was so good.

I feel it’s important to point out that May’s serious print journalism career ended with this masterpiece