Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #131 (1966)

So this was based on a particularly bad acid trip right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

So this was based on a particularly bad acid trip right?

I wouldn't go so far as to go "these writers must've been on drugs man :2bong: !" I feel like "What if Krypto the Superdog had his own Justice League, bro?" sounds like an idea me and my dumbass friends could have thought up back when we were just up wayyy too late in college completely sober. Well, okay maybe after one joint, but none of us are professional writers. Regardless I wouldn't jump to acid.

...Except for the centipede dog that's some poo poo that definitely came out of somebody's bad loving time

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 27, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 19 (1992)

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Elissimpark posted:

Hey DC, when are you going to release Grant Morrison's Hot Dog mini? Huh? When?

Grant Morrison already had them eating vomit in the blasted landscape of pre crisis continuity in Animal Man. Paul Dini made a Krypto the Superdog show for younger audiences that had the Dog Star Patrol as frequent guest stars.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Read panels right to left.

Kinnikuman Vol. 2 (1980)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Show-Ha Shoten

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Considering a forum name change to, “Whuppin Datasskovich”

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #37 (1945)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That's not how cannibalism works, Mike.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

That's not how cannibalism works, Mike.

Skinned bears look a lot like a skinned human. Native Americans had myths about it, and 19th century and early 20th century carnivals would have a "pig faced woman" that was actually just a shaved drunk bear in a dress. So really, are they that different from us?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mike's secretly a bear, is all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You will notice that the bears are only licking Mike and not biting him. It is due to this that he deduces their cannibalistic nature - normal bears would already be devouring him, these bears are tasting him and disappointedly finding that he is not a bear and therefore they cannot devour him.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
From the Danish Valhalla comics. Hard-boiled Odin investigates the mystery of the magic mead of poetry.

Valhalla #11(1998) (Unofficial translation. Transl. date unknown)

Valhalla has never been officially translated into English, but I am posting the entire run in the favorite comics thread.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 30, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The lettering is amazing for an unofficial translation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SimonChris posted:

From the Danish Valhalla comics. Hard-boiled Odin investigates the mystery of the magic mead of poetry.

Valhalla #11(1998) (Unofficial translation. Transl. date unknown)

Valhalla has never been officially translated into English, but I am posting the entire run in the favorite comics thread.

This is genuinely really cool stuff, thank you for translating and posting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SimonChris posted:

I am posting the entire run in the favorite comics thread.

Also, got a link? I'm blind and don't see the thread...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794989&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's in PYF not BSS

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There are forums outside of BSS :confused:

Thanks!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

This is genuinely really cool stuff, thank you for translating and posting.

Oh, I am not doing the translation myself. The translator is credited as "Data9724" with proofreading by "Konky" and lettering by "JJ". I have been unable to find any more information about the team, but I suspect they were professionals doing it on the side. It certainly doesn't feel like an amateur project.

I also added a link to the comics thread. I completely forgot that this thread was in a different subforum (it would fit right in as "PYF Funny Panels")!

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 30, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

I also added a link to the comics thread. I completely forgot that this thread was in a different subforum (it would fit right in as "PYF Funny Panels")!

It would but yeah posting the whole thing would violate the rules

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I guess I just get a kick out of panels that would make excellent banner ads for BSS.

(James Tynion IV's W0rldTr33 #5)

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 31, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Flaming Carrot Comics #24 (1990)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Darthemed posted:

Flaming Carrot Comics #24 (1990)

Having experienced a dog with laryngitis (my last beagle engaged in constant sing-alongs with the other dogs whenever we boarded him so by pickup time he howled himself hoarse), I must say it's not amazing so much as just kinda sad to listen to. Sounded more like a goose honking than anything else.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #36 (1945)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Having experienced a dog with laryngitis (my last beagle engaged in constant sing-alongs with the other dogs whenever we boarded him so by pickup time he howled himself hoarse), I must say it's not amazing so much as just kinda sad to listen to. Sounded more like a goose honking than anything else.

my horrible old cat that always loved screaming all night every night has finally lost his voice. he can still caterwaul somewhat, but normal meowing is now beyond him.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Superman #36 (1945)

The Superman comics got silly real fast, going by that number.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Superman" was the second book he got but yeah. Pretty soon after the first.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Devil #26 (1986)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Parodies of that part of Batman's genesis are never going to get old for me. I am still waiting for a storm to blow something, anything through my window so I can dramatically yell "I shall become [whatever just smashed my window]!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot.. I will become what they most fear.. Glass Shards Thrown In Their Eyes Man

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Parodies of that part of Batman's genesis are never going to get old for me. I am still waiting for a storm to blow something, anything through my window so I can dramatically yell "I shall become [whatever just smashed my window]!"

Why wait?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I actually haf an idea for an alternate DC universe where almost everything is the same except instead of Batman you have The Chicken because a chicken had somehow gotten stuck in the dumbwaiter

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot.. I will become what they most fear.. Glass Shards Thrown In Their Eyes Man

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #131 (1966)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #131 (1966)

OMG now I want to read silver age Superboy, it's not all that delightfully weird is it?

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

PainterofCrap posted:

Maybe he needs them for reading.

Why are the 'dog-crooks' human bodies with dog heads?

You can tell they are bad guys because Villians Union Rules say they need to wear domino masks.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghost Manor #59 (1981; reprints)

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Grendels Dad posted:

Why limit yourself to times when you're by a window? DC sure didn't:

(Batman vol. 1 #256)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
...as if in answer, a drunk fratboy passing by the window lowers his jeans and presses his bare buttocks up against the glass...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

davidspackage posted:

...as if in answer, a drunk fratboy passing by the window lowers his jeans and presses his bare buttocks up against the glass...

No, Moon Knight is Marvel