Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope so, I've been wanting another one of those

:hmmyes:

I was walking my dogs the other day and suddenly started feeling really hyped for just an epic first-person RPG. If it's literally just "Fallout with Space ships and without VATs" I'll be content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress

https://twitter.com/mimimiprod/status/1696501045780746521?s=46&t=QiAUz-uO9aFa0BfeEh_oVA

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goddamnit that sucks. Right choice for them but I am sad about it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The blog post is sending an error to me. What's the reason?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

"Games are too expensive to make"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, I didn't even realize the game was out. Really harsh bimester to release anything.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AngryBooch posted:

quote:

Dedicating the past decade and a half of our lives working on increasingly ambitious games took a heavy personal toll on us and our families. After the release of Shadow Gambit we decided it was the right time to prioritize our well-being and to pull the brakes instead of signing up for another multi-year production cycle. [...]

Making these games was amazing and extremely taxing at the same time. Reaching the level of quality Mimimi strives for is hard and requires focus and dedication. We also have to acknowledge that our future production costs are growing faster than potential revenues of our genre. The increased financial pressure and level of risk became unsustainable. Additionally, whenever our games got close to release and were finally fun to play, a new fight for funding of the following projects started, making this a continuous cycle. [...]

Ramping down the company and making Shadow Gambit our final game is an extremely tough decision. We never expected this would be how Mimimi ends. But if even one of us were to break down, fail or burn out, the situation would escalate quickly. Ultimately, managing a production on this scale, in combination with an extremely competitive market, proved to be too taxing for us. [...]
Mimimi Games

rather odd all in all

haldolium fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 29, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I wouldn't say odd, it sounds like they're doing what's ultimately best for their well being :shrug:

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
loving game devs. Not destroying themselves to make game after game that sit in my backlog unplayed. I HATES them!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sucks that they're closing down. Anyways I'll pick the game up after a steep discount

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Leal posted:

Sucks that they're closing down. Anyways I'll pick the game up after a steep discount

I hate to say it but this is pretty much exactly what I thought too upon reading it. I've recommended Shadow Tactics & Desperados 3 to all my friends, had this wishlisted but it's really just terrible timing for anyone to launch a game right now. Not enough time in the day to play all the good games coming out lately, even harder to justify impulse purchases.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Not sure what is odd here. Building good games isn't easy and neither is running a small company.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gorilla Radio posted:

loving game devs. Not destroying themselves to make game after game that sit in my backlog unplayed. I HATES them!

No one is saying this, weirdo

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Man they only made bangers. That puts a dampener on the day for sure. ugh.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I bought Shadow Gambit because I trust the devs to make an excellent quality game but, yeah I haven't played it yet either, like Bomb Rush Cyberfunk it's just absolutely awful timing to release games like that this month with too many other excellent games eating up my time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leal posted:

lol rough but true. didn't get shadow tactics until it was $5 despite hearing nothing but huge praise for years

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiny Timbs posted:

If the encounters weren't actually designed with that in mind it seems like that'd be more of a cheat feature

it's the game's easy mode toggle.
unfortunately it doesn't let you tweak the individual levers in a make-your-own-difficulty kinda way. that kinda thing has gotten trendy over this console generation at least among AAA but for some reason it gets labeled as an accessibility feature

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I bought Shadow Gambit because I trust the devs to make an excellent quality game but, yeah I haven't played it yet either, like Bomb Rush Cyberfunk it's just absolutely awful timing to release games like that this month with too many other excellent games eating up my time.

I saw these Steam stats for Mimimi's last few games on another forum, seems like Shadow Gambit just didn't sell what it needed to at launch for them to continue making games in this subgenre

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Here is copy of the full statement:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1696517403960582460

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

I saw these Steam stats for Mimimi's last few games on another forum, seems like Shadow Gambit just didn't sell what it needed to at launch for them to continue making games in this subgenre

It’s a shame, it just released in the worst possible month when Baldur’s Gate 3 came out in the beginning of the month, Armored Core 6 in the middle and then Starfield at the beginning of next month.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
(As already pointed out) that title did end up quite ironic

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It’s a shame, it just released in the worst possible month when Baldur’s Gate 3 came out in the beginning of the month, Armored Core 6 in the middle and then Starfield at the beginning of next month.
Could be worse, they might announce Earth Defense Force 6 soon after.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Grim Dawn just announced a new expansion. Fangs of Asterkarn

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wiltsghost posted:

Lmao, now way. Still my fav ARPG, outdated combat mechanics aside.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Outer Worlds was fine. It's very much Diet New Vegas.

I have not finished Outer Wilds.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

finish it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

finish it

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Wiltsghost posted:

I need to repay this thing with the big mods. Wonder how it works on the deck.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Outer Worlds was okay until I hit the point where my guns were getting outdated and better ones started dropping and the better guns were the same exact guns but with a "2" added to their name

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Outer Worlds was okay until I hit the point where my guns were getting outdated and better ones started dropping and the better guns were the same exact guns but with a "2" added to their name

I'm not sure why Obsidian went that route instead of you know, making the guns more lethal because your character gets to improve their stats when they level up. An odd choice for sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Outer Wilds freaks me out and while I was able to finish the game I have not gone back to the DLC after practically making GBS threads myself watching the flood come at me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Outer Wilds is amazing.
The DLC is...good...but actually finishing it got extremely tedious.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I did not find the DLC for Outer Wilds all that great. The new area was neat to discover and walk around but I didn't like the gimmick and got tired of going back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i felt the outer wilds DLC didn't flow as well as the base game but i think they did go back and tweak a lot of it later so it might be better now for first time players

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Outer Wilds DLC needed a button to just start at the new thing after you get there once.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Has anyone here tried out moviehouse or sticky business ?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Macichne Leainig posted:

I wouldn't say odd, it sounds like they're doing what's ultimately best for their well being :shrug:

Can't blame them for wanting to escape an endless cycle of uncertainty. Very understandable that it burned them out:

Mimimi's closure statement posted:

We also have to acknowledge that our future production costs are growing faster than potential revenues of our genre. The increased financial pressure and level of risk became unsustainable. Additionally, whenever our games got close to release and were finally fun to play, a new fight for funding of the following projects started, making this a continuous cycle.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wiltsghost posted:

Weren't they working on like a town building game or something? I wonder what happened with that.

Can't complain about more Grim Dawn though, that game really scratches the Diablo itch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Begemot posted:

Weren't they working on like a town building game or something? I wonder what happened with that.

Can't complain about more Grim Dawn though, that game really scratches the Diablo itch.

Farthest Frontier. It's getting close to full release so they're probably planning what to do next. It's pretty good and has the best farming system of any city builder, but it hasn't been nearly as financially successful as Grim Dawn (<1 million copies sold) so they're probably itching to get back to raking in money with relatively lower-effort expansions to a game that sold 5-10 million copies on Steam and however many more on xbox. It doesn't help that Farthest Frontier started EA at a time when there was a glut of city builders on the market and it will be hitting full release within the vicinity of Cities Skylines 2 - it's totally competent and has some neat twists on the genre but it's overshadowed by its competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It also feels like Farthest Frontier runs out of tricks quite quickly. It's totally fine as a Banished 2, but it feels like there's not a lot of challenge past the early years of a settlement, and not a lot to play with either.

They are still making updates, but it feels like it's a very small team.