Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

davidspackage posted:

Discovery pulled a few amazingly audacious ones. There's one where they call a staff meeting in the other room while the ship is five minutes away from being consumed, and I think at one point they reverse engineer the time suit in like a half an hour?

Disco does it all the time. The ship is going to blow up in 30 seconds! Two minutes of deeply emotional conversation time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

Disco does it all the time. The ship is going to blow up in 30 seconds! Two minutes of deeply emotional conversation time!
Makes sense, they probably bought the spore drive from Freeza's people.

What would make sense for intra-system jaunts in the Solar system and presumably in other well developed Federation systems (I imagine Andor and Tellar are as bustling as Sol, although Vulcan may be all efficient and minimalist) is ferry service between planets. It could even be largely automated.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

Similarly, Nerve Stapling in SMAC.

If you have a better way to control your drones, then I'd like to not hear it, because that sounds suspiciously like the sort of civil unrest that leads to a trip to a punishment sphere.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
The Wounded was fab! The first major O'Brien episode (sure he gets married in the last episode, but that's incidental to Data's... Uh, Day.) The first (?) appearance of the Cardassians in their cool armour and daft helmet bands too. A pearl of sweaty paranoia, post war grief and simmering prejudice with no neat wrap up. Also the great Bob Gunton going off his rocker. Highly amusing that O'Brien's only found out KOOKY WIFE has funny eating habits after they've gotten married, almost like they barely know one another!

From the sublime to the ridiculous with Devil's Due, which I also liked quite a bit. There've been "funny" episodes before that have gotten on my nerves quite a bit (gently caress you Okona, eat poo poo Lwaxana), not so this one. Not a substantial episode, but a load of campy fun that leads into a court case containing the phenomenal deadpan Data line; "The advocate will refrain from making her opponent disappear."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Devil's Due is a strong episode

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This episode of TNG I'm watching (the one with Worfs foster brother) is a little DS9 pre-reunion; both Penny Johnson and the guy who was trying to cure cellular boredom are in it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The way Kevin Uxbridge took Troi out of commission for most of that episode gave me a premature fear or earworms

Now I have mild tinnitus, lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Weyoun being stuck with the cellular boredom guy at the end of the episode and being diplomatically fascinated is one of the funniest things in the whole franchise.

gently caress, thinking about it, I wish I could remember the timeline better and know where the various Weyouns die and which Weyoun met him. I'm sure there are layers there.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Phy posted:

The way Kevin Uxbridge took Troi out of commission for most of that episode gave me a premature fear or earworms

Now I have mild tinnitus, lol

Yeah freaked me out basically nearly death by “song stuck in head”

Freaked me out as a kid like the guy who supposedly had hiccups for a decade

Then Miles gets sent to Time Prison that one time and Rikers transporter clone lived in isolation for decades and as a child I developed a much stronger fear of psychological torment than death

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't know much about the Riker clone beyond the two episodes he's in, but for my money, he died when the Dominion did a genocide on the Cardassians.

But if you wanted to do a little DS9 type movie, it'd be Kira seeking out survivors of the Cardassian Union at abandoned labor camps and former colonies in hopes of bringing Riker home.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FlamingLiberal posted:

Devil's Due is a strong episode

It's the epitome of classic star trek

It's campy, weird, slightly horny, and it's all about our heroic rational humanitarian future people making GBS threads all over superstition and ignorance

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I brought Star Fleet Battle Force to my school's first board game club session of the year and the students loving loved it. They've even asked we play again next week with the advanced rules.

An exchange between students:
"Have you ever watched a Star Trek?"
"I don't think I have. Maybe we should?"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Up to Visionary in DS9 and man that's such a fun episode. The story fits together and also it has one of my absolute favourite bits - where Quark looks at Past O'Brien on the promenade and goes "never mind chief, clearly you have bigger problems"
I dunno what it is about it, I just love that bit

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The cheeky wink O'Brien 1 gives O'Brien 2 in the bar fight too

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Catspaw sure is an episode.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
The big final reveal in Catspaw is one of my favourites, it's so daft.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've seen the episode title Catspaw explained as "Scotty and Sulu become the villains' catspaws" and my dude, the episode has a giant cat in it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yes it's a pun

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Catspaw is a fine Halloween episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

It's the epitome of classic star trek

It's campy, weird, slightly horny, and it's all about our heroic rational humanitarian future people making GBS threads all over superstition and ignorance

That makes sense as it's one of two TNG episodes based on scripts written for Phase 2.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Captain Keogh and the Odyssey Deserved Better

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Catspaw is a fine Halloween episode.
It literally was created as one.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Catspaw_(episode)

quote:

Although this was the first episode of TOS Season 2 in production (filmed in early May 1967), it did not premiere until the week of Halloween, 1967. It was, in fact, written in a Halloween-type theme for just that reason. This episode also remains to date the only Star Trek production produced as a "holiday special" type episode.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Generations is the Christmas episode. The Easter Bunny appears in TOS. The Bajorans have analogues for Passover and Hanukkah, I'm sure.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Clues. It's basically just the Red Dwarf episode Thanks For The Memory, right down to a broken limb being a major plot point. I looked up the air dates because I wasn't sure and huh, Red Dwarf did it first. Good though, I was eager enough to find out what the cause of the missing day was. Marina Sirtis going all baritone "KIRK UNIT" after huffing a space fart cloud is pleasantly stupid. As I say, good, but I cannot believe that those crummy smegheads did it first and did it better.

Aside from a few clumsy bits, First Contact - the good one - is very interesting, with a fairly unique perspective to it. The choice of telling the story from the point of view of the *goes off to google yet another crazy alien name* Malcorians experiencing *sigh* first contact with the visiting Enterprise is a fantastic idea. Feels like a thematic sequel to Who Watches The Watchers, with a lot of that same magic. The one very thinly sketched Conservative Clarence Boddicker looking mofo is a bit weak. All his lines are those clumsy bits I was referring to. A one note "BUT OUR TRADITIONAL WAAAAAAYS" type character who might as well be carrying a burning torch and a pitchfork through all his scenes. I get the narrative necessity of him though, so I can let it slide.

The "I've always wanted to bang an alien" chick? Well, that certainly was a scene! Frakes struggling to keep a straight face through it was brill.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In case you didn't recognize her, that was Bebe Neuwirth, most famous for being Lilith on Cheers/Frasier. Everyone watching at the time would have known something was up when she appeared.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MuddyFunster posted:

Clues. It's basically just the Red Dwarf episode Thanks For The Memory, right down to a broken limb being a major plot point. I looked up the air dates because I wasn't sure and huh, Red Dwarf did it first. Good though, I was eager enough to find out what the cause of the missing day was. Marina Sirtis going all baritone "KIRK UNIT" after huffing a space fart cloud is pleasantly stupid. As I say, good, but I cannot believe that those crummy smegheads did it first and did it better.

Similarly "Visionary" really makes me think of Future Echoes
I guess more than anything it's the DS9 writing team and the Red Dwarf guys reading the same scifi though

Arivia posted:

In case you didn't recognize her, that was Bebe Neuwirth, most famous for being Lilith on Cheers/Frasier. Everyone watching at the time would have known something was up when she appeared.

Every american at least
Cheers wasn't as big in the UK (and also we got TNG quite a lot after it was originally aired for some reason). First Contact was in 1994 for us, not 1991. gently caress knows why

Inspired by a post earlier on I was thinking of episodes I usually skip when I watch through DS9. There's only four. Melora, Invasive Procedures, Meridian and Explorers. Although that sadly means missing the first appearance of the Klingon Restaurant!

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 30, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Explorers rules wtf

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I get skipping Melora and Meridian, but Explorers is great and Invasive Procedures, while kinda middle of the road for DS9 episodes, has a good role by John Glover.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
And don't forget how Red Dwarf was able to actually do Rodenberry's dream JFK assassination story.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taear posted:

Every american at least
Cheers wasn't as big in the UK (and also we got TNG quite a lot after it was originally aired for some reason). First Contact was in 1994 for us, not 1991. gently caress knows why

Star Trek, whether we like it or not, is made by Americans for Americans - it's reasonable to talk about the audience being Americans as a default. It doesn't need or deserve correcting.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Quit being so sensitive

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wonder if they went next door to the Cheers set and asked "who wants to be on Star Trek today?"

That's pretty much how Frasier turned up as a captain.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Cheers is just a holodeck program.

Half the loving cast and guest stars show up in a Trek somewhere, though outside of Kate Mulgrew it's mostly film. Hell, Christopher Lloyd was in a couple of episodes even.

Plus, the actor who plays Cliff is also in The Empire Strikes Back at the Battle of Hoth.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

And then there was the time Frasier crossed over with Voyager:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BIeEyDETaHY

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Captain Keogh and the Odyssey Deserved Better

whole ship got Worfed

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I just realized a large portion of my favorite TNG episodes are mystery ones where the crew has to kinda figure out what the hell is going on and often the audience knows more.

Clues, Cause and Effect, Remember Me, and the one with the mind eraser aliens where a random dude appears on the bridge as the first officer and everyone watching is like who the gently caress is that what the gently caress is happening did I miss last weeks episode

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the spooky mystery episodes are dome of the best. Pity almost none of them stick the landing, the endings tend to peter out with "turns out it was just this the end" or "and then Data fixes everything".

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The High Ground ends so abruptly. Lead terrorist dead, hostages returned, zero introspection on the Federation giving aid to one side of a conflict. Of course it comes right after The Hunted where Picard lets another internal conflict play out with zero interference despite the fact that both small factions using violence against the state endanger the Enterprise.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MuddyFunster posted:

Clues. It's basically just the Red Dwarf episode Thanks For The Memory, right down to a broken limb being a major plot point. I looked up the air dates because I wasn't sure and huh, Red Dwarf did it first.

There's an interview with Patrick Stewart where he's talking about a time when he's in the UK for a project, and just hanging out in his hotel room watching TV. He catches some Red Dwarf episodes and gets outraged, "those are our episodes!" style. Then he says he checked air dates and oops, Red Dwarf did it first.

And the JFK assassination is peak SF television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arivia posted:

Star Trek, whether we like it or not, is made by Americans for Americans - it's reasonable to talk about the audience being Americans as a default. It doesn't need or deserve correcting.

It's more like you're assuming the poster is american tbh
Also you know what, Star Trek does a really good job of NOT feeling like that. For one, they use the metric system!

Lord Hydronium posted:

I get skipping Melora and Meridian, but Explorers is great and Invasive Procedures, while kinda middle of the road for DS9 episodes, has a good role by John Glover.

Invasive Procedures I know off by heart for some reason so I don't want to watch it again. Couldn't tell you why. Every other episode there's at least something I've forgotten but not that one.
Explorers I just find boring. I like the end of it though