Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Gosh why would anyone ever want to retcon the EU away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just remember that every time someone bitches that Disney got rid of the EU, the EU had yet another stupid superweapon every other novel/trilogy. Like the Suncrusher, a fighter-sized indestructible ship that fired torpedoes that caused suns to go nova. Or the Galaxy Gun, a giant gun that fired rounds through hyperspace that could blow up planets. You know, the same thing that people bitched about being "unrealistic" about Starkiller Base in TFA!

gently caress the EU and gently caress everyone who cried about how terrible it was that Disney is just picking the better bits out and discarding the rest. The Old Republic comics were pretty cool though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC the twist was that the darksaber didn't actually work, the hutt who commissioned it was getting scammed by his contractors, but since the point of a superweapon is to threaten people it didn't matter at the start.

The stuff people liked from the EU was mostly the early (Zahn) stuff, and how the main cast's arcs continued immediately after the films, with the rest of it being a mixed bag.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I quite liked the Dark saber novel as a kid, and I can remember being sad when Crix Madine died.

Lot of the EU novels that people slate were perfectly fine, tbh. Most not on the level as the Zahn books but they were just what kid me wanted.

On another note I've started watching Andor again with my fiancee and goddamn does it highlight how bad the vast majority of the rest of Star Wars media is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I really liked Mara Jade

e: has Mara Jade ever appeared outside novels?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

credburn posted:

I really liked Mara Jade

e: has Mara Jade ever appeared outside novels?

Do video games count? I think she's in one of the confusingly titled Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Randalor posted:

gently caress the EU and gently caress everyone who cried about how terrible it was that Disney is just picking the better bits

I don’t think Disney is doing this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Disney managed to steal bits from The Glove Of Darth Vader and still make them boring

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do video games count? I think she's in one of the confusingly titled Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.

Yeah, there's an expansion to Jedi Knight where you play as her.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think she's in Masters of Teras Kashi

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sally posted:

ahhh that's sad. newborns really shouldnt have any screentime let alone garbage content :(

Agreed about the screen time but Ms Rachel is probably one of the best things you could choose if you are having youtube raise your kid.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I re-watched Robocop and my only nitpick in this otherwise perfect movie is that those Cobra rifles (the big guns the bad guys use at the end) had inconsistent results when fired. sometimes they had gigantic fiery explosions, other times they created some sparks and little damage.

you can explain this by them being crappy prototypes, much like other products created by OCP

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tunicate posted:

Disney managed to steal bits from The Glove Of Darth Vader and still make them boring

I think that's the one I read back in HS?
Some evil guy finds Darth's glove and it gives him evil force powers or something idiotic - but also decays his hand or something. Woo spooky haunted glove.
Literally can't remember anything else.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DarkDobe posted:

Can't believe you forgot "I bid you Dark Greetings" and the Mofference on the Moffship

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Len posted:

I think she's in Masters of Teras Kashi

Yeah, she's a secret character. Nearly identical move set to Luke, I think. She had a purple saber in it too, well before there was Mace Windu.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

cptn_dr posted:

Can't believe you forgot "I bid you Dark Greetings" and the Mofference on the Moffship

Is that also the one with palpatine's three eyed son trioculus

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Armacham posted:

Is that also the one with palpatine's three eyed son trioculus

Yes, and not his other three eyed son Triclops. Neither had any proof of their parentage though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

I think that's the one I read back in HS?
Some evil guy finds Darth's glove and it gives him evil force powers or something idiotic - but also decays his hand or something. Woo spooky haunted glove.

Nah it's better than that. Trioculus is pretending to be palpatine's son, but isn't, has no idea how the force works and assumes that vader's glove is how he force choked people.

After several books of hunting it down, recovering the sith artifact from the waterlogged ruins of the second death star, it doesn't work. So he has a surgeon implant wiring up and down his arms so he can shoot electricity from his hands, and then uses 'force lightning' on people. And then some ultrasonic weapons so he can gesture and make someone fall over.

This successfully convinces everyone that he's palpatine's heir, but also causes serious internal burns and a whole book's plot is just him trying to find a cure for all the damage he's doing to his own body.

Triclops is the pacifist real son of Palpatine (who may or may not have been some sort of experimental mutant clone), who is the absent father of the new jedi protagonist

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Aug 29, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I think the plot to that book was dictated to the author by his seven year old.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I like the Yuuzhan Vong.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Leave posted:

I like the Yuuzhan Vong.

Where they Space Cenobites before or after the 40k Dark Eldar?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden Episode 77: You don't have to take your mask off if you are just going to shake your head no.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Where they Space Cenobites before or after the 40k Dark Eldar?

Dunno, I just think they're neat. Do people regularly poo poo on them?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm just genuinely curious which franchise first invented BDSM pain Aliens.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, they're both just space Cenobites, so...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hellraiser IV (1996) was already set in space, though
Event Horizon was 1997
Dark Eldar came out in 1998
Vector Prime (first YV book) was published 1999

stringless has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Aug 30, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FFT posted:

Hellraiser IV (1996) was already set in space, though
Event Horizon was 1997
Dark Eldar came out in 1998
Vector Prime (first YV book) was published 1999

hellraiser IV isn't the first '90s series to feature a bunch of guys on a space station getting tortured in increasingly inventive ways

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sure, just saying if we're talking "cenobites in space" the cenobites did it first

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

I watched through Rebels recently and was very disappointed that none of the Imperial scenes had anyone bid Dark Greetings.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I don't think all the Vong were supposed to be pain worshippers, just those first guys we see, but something didn't get communicated right, and they all became BDSM fanatics

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Leave posted:

I don't think all the Vong were supposed to be pain worshippers, just those first guys we see, but something didn't get communicated right, and they all became BDSM fanatics

Yeah, literally that. Originally the pain guys were supposed to be an outlier group called Domain Shai that were way into pain poo poo. As far as I can tell, it took like zero seconds for the misunderstanding to happen though, since like the first Yuuzhan Vong the books spend any time on, Yomin Carr, is not a member of that group and is aggressively into self-scarification.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I watched through Rebels recently and was very disappointed that none of the Imperial scenes had anyone bid Dark Greetings.

"I bid you dark greetings" is a pretty badass way to greet someone, you have to admit. I could see someone used to being the bearer of bad news using that as their way of saying hello.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Leave posted:

I like the Yuuzhan Vong.
My favorite thing about them was that everything including their ships were living biotech, and if I remember correctly, their foreign biology from a different universe made them immune to the Force. I admit, that I never read the books and all I know about them I learned from the old Star Wars tabletop rpg.

Some of their other tech I liked was the gravity well generators that would slam moons and planets together and their singularity mines that created mini, instantaneous black holes then collapsed (like the ones the Dark Elves use in Thor 2, if anybody remembers those).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Randalor posted:

Just remember that every time someone bitches that Disney got rid of the EU, the EU had yet another stupid superweapon every other novel/trilogy. Like the Suncrusher, a fighter-sized indestructible ship that fired torpedoes that caused suns to go nova. Or the Galaxy Gun, a giant gun that fired rounds through hyperspace that could blow up planets. You know, the same thing that people bitched about being "unrealistic" about Starkiller Base in TFA!

gently caress the EU and gently caress everyone who cried about how terrible it was that Disney is just picking the better bits out and discarding the rest. The Old Republic comics were pretty cool though.
OK but what are some bad parts of the EU?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Darthemed posted:

OK but what are some bad parts of the EU?

Luuke.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

How dare youu

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
if you clone the clone are they Luuuke?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also was that the book with the jedi called Jorus (Joruus?) C'Boath? how do you even pronounce that? kuh-bow-ath?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Sally posted:

if you clone the clone are they Luuuke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Funny! Fuunny!! Fuuunny!!! Fuuuunny!!!!