Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Organization is a fool’s errand after a certain point in your collecting journey

In my most recent "reorganization" I fully embraced chaos and landed on a hodgepodge system of:

1. Criterion Shelf(organized by release date)
2. Horror/Kaiju/Animation/Musical/Western Shelf, i.e. the Good poo poo(organized alphabetically)
3. Director's Shelf, i.e. my favorite directors, I had the idea that this shelf would rotate but right now it's Kubrick, Ridley Scott, Spielberg and Michael Mann.
4. Franchises/Series Shelf, i.e Comic Book Movies, Harry Potter, Mission Impossible, etc. etc.(organized alphabetically)
5. Miscellaneous Shelf i.e. everything else(organized chronologically)

Yes all of this made perfect sense on the day I did it. I have over 500 blu rays. Coincidentally recreational weed became legal about a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

That was me, you can thank me, the Criterion Blu-Ray buyer

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm all for mixing Blu's and DVDs. My player can play both, and I don't pick out movies based on video quality!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

In my most recent "reorganization" I fully embraced chaos and landed on a hodgepodge system of:

1. Criterion Shelf(organized by release date)
2. Horror/Kaiju/Animation/Musical/Western Shelf, i.e. the Good poo poo(organized alphabetically)
3. Director's Shelf, i.e. my favorite directors, I had the idea that this shelf would rotate but right now it's Kubrick, Ridley Scott, Spielberg and Michael Mann.
4. Franchises/Series Shelf, i.e Comic Book Movies, Harry Potter, Mission Impossible, etc. etc.(organized alphabetically)
5. Miscellaneous Shelf i.e. everything else(organized chronologically)

Yes all of this made perfect sense on the day I did it. I have over 500 blu rays. Coincidentally recreational weed became legal about a month ago.

This is more or less what I did the last time I organized.

Billy bookcase 1:
- criterion watched
- criterion unwatched
- general unwatched/new
- general unwatched/new
- uhhhh series I guess
- more series
- oh god gently caress it just cram whatever here

1/2 height Billy bookcase 2:
- Switch/4K player
- Star Treks
- steelbooks/fancy packaging
- arrow

Billy bookcase 3:
- Simpsons/animated tv
- MST3k
- MST3k
- tv
- tv

And of course now I need yet another Billy but I can’t be bothered until I move.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My Everything Else Shelf (as in the non-all-timers) is like...

-Movie collections & box sets
-Grindhouse, kung fu, and a few we just want to show off
-Drama and action
-Musicals, comedy

And then you have the back of that shelf which is currently all horror.

All my TV shows are stored under my TV in the entertainment center, and one of the bookshelves houses a few wrestling DVDs. I say organize whatever way works for you and enjoy your home.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

david_a posted:

That was me, you can thank me, the Criterion Blu-Ray buyer

The Criterion Blu is great thankfully

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

I remember this was announced last year and I pre-ordered but it was delayed indefinitely. Nice to know it's still coming (hopefully).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I organize my DVDs and Blu-rays all together alphabetically in the same credenza, with four exceptions:

-one shelf of unwatched in the side-drawer of said credenza
-a bookshelf with MST3K and RiffTrax DVDs on the first two shelves (with spillover on the same level as...)
-a shelf for my Ring of Honor DVDs (plus a Paul London & Brian Kendrick shoot interview and a Region 4 DVD I got from a Secret Santa in Australia)
-a corner of my CD tower that houses my anime

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The stock for Shout Factory's upcoming Ti Lung / David Chiang website exclusive boxset is starting to get low.

https://shoutfactory.com/collections/shout-exclusives/products/the-ti-lung-david-chiang-collection

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have the Criterion so I probably should skip that 4K FWWM but I really love Twin Peaks so I might still buy it...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I probably won't upgrade my Fire Walk With Me either, the existing blu ray is very good and I tend to watch it maybe once every 5 years or so when I rewatch Twin Peaks.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Mr E posted:

I have the Criterion so I probably should skip that 4K FWWM but I really love Twin Peaks so I might still buy it...

This is where I'm at. I absolutely love Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me is one of my favorite movies so my heart covers it but my brain knows that the Criterion version I just bought is amazing. For all we know they'll even do an upgrade down the line.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

ultraviolence123 posted:

The stock for Shout Factory's upcoming Ti Lung / David Chiang website exclusive boxset is starting to get low.

https://shoutfactory.com/collections/shout-exclusives/products/the-ti-lung-david-chiang-collection

Is that actual stock or just stock for the sets with the poster?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FancyMike posted:

I’m pretty sure that bluray was from the same master as their old dvd, and you quoted it right there that it was supervised by Mark Lee Ping-bing. I have no idea who shot what, or how much, but he’s one of the three credited cinematographers for the movie.

Criterion consulted Lee Ping Bin for the ITMFL Bluray because he shot the majority of the movie. 🤫

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

SeductiveReasoning posted:

I think this entire set is Shout Factory Store exclusive and only the first 600 come with the poster. If you order now, no poster unless Shout feels generous (and lolol at that). I waited until yesterday to order, as it's a) $170, b) I wanted to see how long it would take to sell out. The set is down to 61 copies which means this will definitely sell out before its 9/26 release date.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

ultraviolence123 posted:

I think this entire set is Shout Factory Store exclusive and only the first 600 come with the poster. If you order now, no poster unless Shout feels generous (and lolol at that). I waited until yesterday to order, as it's a) $170, b) I wanted to see how long it would take to sell out. The set is down to 61 copies which means this will definitely sell out before its 9/26 release date.

$186.70 after taxes. This may be the one that breaks me, boys.

Also, I'm fairly confident that inventory countdown is just for the poster bundle, and not the 2500 copies total. Could be wrong, though.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2023

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My movies and books are not organized at all, except sometimes by size if a given shelf is kind of small or something. I try to keep series next to each other but not with any real consistency.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have a media tower, which is nice. But now I have several stacks forming because I’ve been too lazy to organize my movies.

My organizational scheme is just movies that relate to each other because of director/series/genre, and the all important “Do they fit?”

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

SeductiveReasoning posted:

I'm guessing that's the amount of stock left with the poster. They post a note when they're sold out of poster pre-orders and the page doesn't have one.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Was looking for the shortest runtime of my unwatched disks so I could knock something out before starting on afternoon chores. My Arrow release of Day of the Jackal showed a 104 minute runtime, which was the winner. Turns out it's actually 140 minutes lol, making it the longest of all my options outside of Fanny and Alexander! Thought that was kinda funny.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone get a shipping email from KL about three days of the condor 4k? It was supposed to come out today but I Heber received anything yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone get a shipping email from KL about three days of the condor 4k? It was supposed to come out today but I Heber received anything yet.

Not surprising, their recent stuff has a tendency to be delayed by a week or two. That's what happened with my To Live and Die in L.A. order.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If you did a Severin sale order, check your email. I just got my shipping notification!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Liar Lyre posted:

If you did a Severin sale order, check your email. I just got my shipping notification!

Same, got my shipping notice.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/arrowfilmsvideo/status/1696569711352312063?s=46

I’d definitely pick up Ringu on 4K.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've run out of bookshelf room and a huge portion of my collection sits in boxes from vinegar syndrome lol.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1696569252990300165?s=20
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1696574361073840267?s=20

So the commentaries and essay are gone but everything else seems intact. I’m more than fine with that tbh, though I’d have liked that stuff

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I really don't like the way they plaster RESTORED IN 4K everywhere. It's not hard for people like us to know what it actually means, but they're definitely going to trick the average person into thinking they're 4K discs.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/arrowfilmsvideo/status/1696885488748028290?s=46

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1696900575168700532?s=20

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1696900672963203411?s=20

lol, oof

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
the wonderful madcap world of physical media publishing

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's wild that they couldn't even include an essay. I'm going to have to guess the author raised some kind of issue after the fact considering he's a connecting factor. Very strange stuff.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I really don't like the way they plaster RESTORED IN 4K everywhere. It's not hard for people like us to know what it actually means, but they're definitely going to trick the average person into thinking they're 4K discs.

What average person is buying 4K stuff though?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
bro, they really asking COLUMBO fans not to investigate?

uhh just one more thing der mister lorber

I like the part where arrows like let us not gently caress this up like we have in the past. I was under the impression blackhat was a cheese fest, was I wrong on this one?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Director's Cut is definitely better but it's still a pretty imperfect movie. Mann fans are just kind of insane

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Shout out to whatever Whitehat found those files!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

morestuff posted:

The Director's Cut is definitely better but it's still a pretty imperfect movie. Mann fans are just kind of insane

I think heat really bought him a few decades of goodwill..depending on how old you are you can replace heat with manhunter

At least even his misfires are entertaining in the spectacle sense..I remember thinking how weird his whole video look choice was for public enemies..it literally negates all the good period costume and set design

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Starting to regret this Wong Kar-wai path I've taken as it's currently about $80-$100 for the good OOP disc for Chungking Express and $45 for the Korean release of As Tears Go By. Same thing happens to me with metal releases. I want the album to sound the same as it did when I originally heard it in 1990. The reissue will sometimes be missing tracks for reasons or the sound is brickwalled and that means sometimes spending impossible amounts of money to get the old CD pressing since I only owned it on cassette back then. I hate my hobbies.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

zer0spunk posted:

I think heat really bought him a few decades of goodwill..depending on how old you are you can replace heat with manhunter

At least even his misfires are entertaining in the spectacle sense..I remember thinking how weird his whole video look choice was for public enemies..it literally negates all the good period costume and set design

Or Collateral, that movie still kicks a lot of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ultraviolence123 posted:

Starting to regret this Wong Kar-wai path I've taken as it's currently about $80-$100 for the good OOP disc for Chungking Express and $45 for the Korean release of As Tears Go By. Same thing happens to me with metal releases. I want the album to sound the same as it did when I originally heard it in 1990. The reissue will sometimes be missing tracks for reasons or the sound is brickwalled and that means sometimes spending impossible amounts of money to get the old CD pressing since I only owned it on cassette back then. I hate my hobbies.

You should look up the comparison videos between the old Chungking criterion and the restored version, it's not that bad, it's probably the least egregious revision

That said I think going forward if they release more UHDs from the boxset I'm going to just find an iso of the OOP version, burn that, and chuck the restored BD so I have both versions in one case. If my choices are a bootleg or scalpers, I'm not paying the jerk tax.