Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

They really shouldn't've shown the witch.

That was the best part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hollismason posted:

They could have used 16mm or something. I mean Ti West did this for House of the Devil.

Black Dynamite was shot on period accurate 16mm to give it that same high contrast that actual blaxploitation movies had. If you're trying to go for a genre homage or parody, you gotta do it right.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ms. pogs follows a few different 'found videos' and 'lost footage' communities, and put this on the other night: a newly-unearthed VHS (now with English subs) of Nighty Night, an 80's japanese horror anthology! three baffling tales of odd terror!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUbRVNKns3g

i really strongly recommend the second segment, SURVIVAL GAME, but the practical effects in the third segment (CINDERELLA) are also great.

(this is a dusty, musty old VHS rip so adjust your visual expectations accordingly).

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 29, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ignore to many threads open at once.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alf_pogs posted:

ms. pogs follows a few different 'found videos' and 'lost footage' communities, and put this on the other night: a newly-unearthed VHS (now with English subs) of Nighty Night, an 80's japanese horror anthology! three baffling tales of odd terror!

i really strongly recommend the second segment, SURVIVAL GAME, but the practical effects in the third segment are also great.

(this is a dusty, musty old VHS rip so adjust your visual expectations accordingly).

Holy poo poo.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

i really strongly recommend the second segment, SURVIVAL GAME, but the practical effects in the third segment are also great.

Oh hell yeah.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yes, thank you

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

I'll start: Last Girl Standing is a meditative, harrowing look at the PTSD and survivor's guilt of being a 'final girl,' and has an all-timer of an ending. 817 ratings.

Kratt is an Estonian folk-horror/political satire that has the greatest sauerkraut-powered rocket launch in film history. 830 ratings.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

Book of Birdie, a light horror/comedy from 2017 that only has 40 reviews. Definitely not for everyone but it's a spooky gay romance about Catholic guilt, so, pretty much made for me.

Ghostkeeper, a Canadian made for TV movie from 81 with bits of The Shining, Texas Chainsaw, and wendigo mythology mashed together into a weirdly comfy winter horror. This one has 437.

Suddenly in the Dark, 1981 Korean film that I expected to be a spooky doll movie but turned out to be way more than that. This was one of my favorite new watches this year, had 267 reviews.

The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch, 1968 from Japan, has 561 reviews. There's a great restoration out now! A coming of age story/gothic family drama by the director of the original Gamera series.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 29, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Cursed (2004) is a deliciously nasty little Japanese horror oddity that's almost an anthology film featuring a convenience store that kills shoppers who ring up double digits on its cash register. It's extremely low budget but I love how utterly surreal so much of the atmosphere is and how it manages to be a few different styles of horror and ghost story in one, and I LOVE the ending. It's a fun little campfire story with some subtext about being a cog in the machine at a minimum wage job. It loses a point for not really showing some kills when it should but the atmosphere hard carries it and I liked it a lot. It should still be available to watch on YouTube.

Fragment of Seeking is a 15 minute black and white short from 1946 that greatly affected me. With the yearning present in it and the evocative queer imagery, especially for a film of its time, I just really liked it a lot. It's a stretch but it has a skeleton jumpscare in it so it counts. Also on YouTube.

Those are the only ones that qualify for me but they're good ones.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Boogeyman gets a digital release tomorrow, and I'm going to watch it, but I can't help thinking of Mr. Burns saying, "I bet you kids all think I'm some sort of BOOOOOOGER MAN'. :(

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I guess I should get a letterboxed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
On the topic of Letterboxd, didn't someone make up a list there of the poll results that we had posted here not long ago? I'm talking about that big poll of the thread favorites from each year? If it's ok I'd like to post those in the October Challenge thread.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

On the topic of Letterboxd, didn't someone make up a list there of the poll results that we had posted here not long ago? I'm talking about that big poll of the thread favorites from each year? If it's ok I'd like to post those in the October Challenge thread.

i think the actual links are in the OP:

https://letterboxd.com/goatgonzo/list/i-have-to-return-some-videotapes-sa-horror/
https://letterboxd.com/goatgonzo/list/you-will-not-leave-this-house-alive-sa-horror/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I use it to archive my reviews from the challenge threads and to keep track of what I've reviewed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's pretty neat

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Suddenly in the Dark, 1981 Korean film that I expected to be a spooky doll movie but turned out to be way more than that. This was one of my favorite new watches this year, had 267 reviews.

Just watched this... Its like a less subtle Cat People (1942), oh my god lol. Freakin rules.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm planning our Halloween movie marathon and have a few questions...

Is The Endless a good introduction to Benson and Moorhead or should I choose another of their films if I've never seen any of them?

What about the same for Dario Argento?

Also, what's a good, "sexy" horror film? Something with a good selection of nudity and eroticism? It can be serious or silly.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Get with the times!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

PriorMarcus posted:

Is The Endless a good introduction to Benson and Moorhead or should I choose another of their films if I've never seen any of them?

Start with Resolution.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Impressed to find people who actually liked The Bay.

Just watched Butterfly Kisses and thought it was pretty solid (which for random found footage on tubi means "a masterpiece"). Truly there is no other monster in horror with as deep a passion for found footage and filmmaking in general than Peeping Tom. He and the Empty Man need to hang out. Maybe they can adapt Babadook's pop up book.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I'd start with Resolution. Really enjoyed The Endless, Synchronic was fun, liked Something in the Dirt well enough. Glad the topic came up cuz I forgot to watch Spring.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

drat this poo poo is on tubi too apparently. I'm gonna just be exclusively watching loving tubi by the end of the year wtf. Thanks for the recs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

What about the same for Dario Argento?

With Argento you probably want to watch at least two films, one a giallo(there are several good choices), and then the other being Suspiria. Suspiria is Argento's most famous film and it's a dreamlike, dark fairytale type thing. It's much different than a straightforward giallo.

For his giallos, my personal choice is Deep Red but others might say Opera, Tenebrae, or Bird with the Crystal Plumage. You can watch any of those though and get a pretty good feel for what his giallos are like.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Just watched this... Its like a less subtle Cat People (1942), oh my god lol. Freakin rules.

So it's Cat People (1982)?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you're not familiar with Giallo you're probably going to need to watch a few to get a handle on the genre. I bounce hard off it, but Opera is one of the ones with the least of his... uhh, quirks? Anyway Opera is like almost just a particularly brutal slasher/thriller. I thought it was just fine but I generally enjoyed it better than Suspiria or Inferno.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

alf_pogs posted:

i really strongly recommend the second segment, SURVIVAL GAME, but the practical effects in the third segment (CINDERELLA) are also great.

Neat!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alf_pogs posted:

If you like horror movies even a little you kinda have to watch this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did anyone else watch the new miniseries remake of Dead Ringers starring Rachel Weisz? I don't know what to make of it, but I really enjoyed it. I'm surprised how content on streaming can just come and go without garnering much attention. It's a very different story given that the doctors are women and one is trying to get pregnant.

The story goes in a very different direction by dropping the "mutant women" subplot in favour of a Faustian bargain where the Mantles accept funding from a thinly-veiled analogue to the Sacklers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

Did anyone else watch the new miniseries remake of Dead Ringers starring Rachel Weisz? I don't know what to make of it, but I really enjoyed it. I'm surprised how content on streaming can just come and go without garnering much attention. It's a very different story given that the doctors are women and one is trying to get pregnant.

The story goes in a very different direction by dropping the "mutant women" subplot in favour of a Faustian bargain where the Mantles accept funding from a thinly-veiled analogue to the Sacklers.

I've been meaning to for ages. It's the kind of bizarre poo poo I at least want to try. And Rachel Weisz is always amazing, so two of her must be better, right?

Is it worth putting it to the front of the line in the giant hopper of poo poo I have to watch?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Compared to the films I've been watching recently, I would definitely put it before Krull, Absurd, The French Sex Murders, Cop Game, or even Killer Condom, but maybe not before Raw Force.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm planning our Halloween movie marathon and have a few questions...

As others said start with Resolution. I'll just add its best to do that since Endless will spoil Resolution for you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jedit posted:

So it's Cat People (1982)?

nah. the important bit here is the lesbian subtext

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Interior: that one scare you were all talking about is indeed terrifying but I don't feel like the rest of it was quite worth the trip.

Because of the premise of a J. Random Whiteboi who looks like Joshua Jackson but taller getting a lethal diagnosis and loving off to BC, I spent most of the movie thinking about One Week*. That is, when I wasn't yelling at the screen not to steal from the people you're camping around or walk around a coastal island in the dead of night, that's how you get eaten by mountain lions you fuckwit. But that's my issues, YMMV.

And fortunately for my sanity the scenery didn't look much at all like the Kootenays.

*Not a horror movie in the slightest unless you count watching a Norton motorcycle get backed over, or seeing a dude kiss the Stanley Cup when you know for a fact babies have pissed in it

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Moon Garden is an interesting movie (not amazing, but interesting enough) that feels like Jan Svankmajer's Alice with the production value but general nonsense of 2021's The Blazing World. The creature design is very cool, and the whole thing looks fantastic, but it's a little too loose for anyone but genre nerds. That said, there is a hilarious eight second scene at the beginning of the movie where a child falls down a flight of stairs and I'm not even going to spoiler it, it makes a great GIF.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Phy posted:

The Interior: that one scare you were all talking about is indeed terrifying but I don't feel like the rest of it was quite worth the trip.

Because of the premise of a J. Random Whiteboi who looks like Joshua Jackson but taller getting a lethal diagnosis and loving off to BC, I spent most of the movie thinking about One Week*. That is, when I wasn't yelling at the screen not to steal from the people you're camping around or walk around a coastal island in the dead of night, that's how you get eaten by mountain lions you fuckwit. But that's my issues, YMMV.

And fortunately for my sanity the scenery didn't look much at all like the Kootenays.

*Not a horror movie in the slightest unless you count watching a Norton motorcycle get backed over, or seeing a dude kiss the Stanley Cup when you know for a fact babies have pissed in it

Nah, I feel you on this. People camping irresponsibly gets me every god drat time.

Not horror, but 127 Hours and Into the Wild are basically unwatchable to me. The former at least has Boyle's directing, but the latter I was just screaming "gently caress YOU!" at the screen for 2 hours.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Horror Thread: Camping Irresponsibly

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Horror Thread: Camping Irresponsibly

Those teens going to Camp Crystal Lake should know better by now :colbert:

Alternatively, that sounds like a thread subtitle more appropriate for Games than in CineD.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phy posted:

Look I haven’t seen the movie but maybe a character with a terminal diagnosis might have a motivation for not prioritizing responsibility and safety, perhaps

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

drat this poo poo is on tubi too apparently. I'm gonna just be exclusively watching loving tubi by the end of the year wtf. Thanks for the recs

I swear, if Tubi has 6,000 horror movies, at least half of them are on my watch later list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think there is something like 400 horror movies on Tubi. Like overall for horror its really one of the best choices.