Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
That was relatively funny episode, backed by actual decent animation and voice action. Well by gromit, we got ourselves a stew going here!

This legitimately felt like a proper Futurama throw it on the re-watch pile type of episode. They keep this up and I will be more than happy for more seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"I'm not even going to dignify that with a slap" is a quality line in stark contrast to the other kind of quality on display last week.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"What the hell is money?" was also really funny.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with the general consensus that this was the best one of the new season so far, though it still had some awkwardness. Every other episode felt like it was written by AI to me.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
6: I Know What You Did Next Xmas
Bender and Zoidberg travel through time to attack Robot Santa.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

6: I Know What You Did Next Xmas
Bender and Zoidberg travel through time to attack Robot Santa.

This was great. Felt like classic Futurama once more.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Neat episode, but I don't really like the idea that Santa's sensor was set in reverse. Shouldn't that make him treat naughty kids nicely? The original explanation was that his standards were set too high, which makes a lot more sense.

I also kept expecting the twist to be that the professor had taken the time machine backwards into an earlier universe, so Santa would still be evil there. Like, the episode could have ended with them wondering why Santa is still evil, then there is a "One Universe Later" title card, and we see that universe's characters partying with good Santa. Anyway, hire me to write Futurama episodes, tia.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Neat episode, but I don't really like the idea that Santa's sensor was set in reverse. Shouldn't that make him treat naughty kids nicely? The original explanation was that his standards were set too high, which makes a lot more sense.

I also kept expecting the twist to be that the professor had taken the time machine backwards into an earlier universe, so Santa would still be evil there. Like, the episode could have ended with them wondering why Santa is still evil, then there is a "One Universe Later" title card, and we see that universe's characters partying with good Santa. Anyway, hire me to write Futurama episodes, tia.

I hope someone got fired for these blunders.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea it struck me as dumb too. If the switch was flipped, why are mobsters who beat up shopkeepers for not paying their protection money exactly as naughty as shopkeepers who don't pay their protection money? Also just like... an X-Mas special in August? :shrug:

Probably not the worst episode, but whatever. I was amused that the professor had a hard time operating the clutch/gear selector though :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This reboot isn't doing it for me. It seems like at least half of the 'jokes' are just throwbacks to a previous season where the joke worked. Or they're like "hey remember this character?" or "remember this plot point that was funny twenty years ago?" There isn't a whole lot that's original in this reboot.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TNG knew they messed up after the second episode, "The Naked Now", got scathing reviews for remaking the TOS episode, and the 1980s Twilight Zone suffered for its frequent remakes, and you'd think they'd have learned from that

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Their version of an old fashioned holiday special was just kind of sad. Doesn't anyone on staff have Dino Stamatopoulos' phone number?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CornHolio posted:

This reboot isn't doing it for me. It seems like at least half of the 'jokes' are just throwbacks to a previous season where the joke worked. Or they're like "hey remember this character?" or "remember this plot point that was funny twenty years ago?" There isn't a whole lot that's original in this reboot.

I think there's a case for this, but I also think some of the episodes (such as this one) are using old plot points in ways that are newly funny. Like, the time machine from The Late Phillip J. Fry coming back was really just a mechanism for new jokes and for the plot to continue. Yeah, the Professor did the reset the universe thing again, but now he's incredibly cavalier about it which is funny.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pretty bad, really flat character writing. Didn't feel like Futurama so much as a middling episode of any other comedy cartoon - really broad lazy jokes that were just about hitting the characters' most obvious points. Bender is a jerk, Zoidberg smells bad, etc, for twenty minutes. The 3D printed turducken and the mutant turducken ("No, they crave death.") I thought were genuinely funny, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't much care for this one. Not a lot of good jokes, plot was a a goddamn mess.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Android Blues posted:

Pretty bad, really flat character writing. Didn't feel like Futurama so much as a middling episode of any other comedy cartoon - really broad lazy jokes that were just about hitting the characters' most obvious points. Bender is a jerk, Zoidberg smells bad, etc, for twenty minutes. The 3D printed turducken and the mutant turducken ("No, they crave death.") I thought were genuinely funny, though.

The mutant turducken flying straight into the pot was my one good belly laugh of the episode, so I appreciated that one a lot. (Also the skis made of liquid chicken got a sensible chuckle).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SimonChris posted:

Nah, that works out fine. in every universe there's a professor from the next one.

I liked the 2800 establishing shot with the old-timely flying vehicles.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Honestly, I thought this was a good one.
The Zoidberg and Bender antics got a good chuckle out of me, as well as the turducken jokes.

Glad they got Coolio again before he kicked the bucket.
Rest in peace Big C.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
That one was my favorite so far. The twists could have been better, but overall enjoyed the jokes and character interactions. Maybe because they were juggling so many characters all at once, it felt like everyone got a good moment in, plus Bender and Zoidberg were a great duo.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The remake so far has been pretty polarizing it seems. I see disagreement in the thread about which exact episodes were good and which ones were bad, but I think we can at least agree that it hasn't been all total stinkers and that it's even had moments of old Futurama's quality shining through sometimes.

Honestly, after the pretty low bar from the Comedy Central reboot, I'm at the point of saying that's good enough for me and all I should expect in these days of declining quality.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

So far, I've liked 1, 2 and 5, thought 4 was a mixed bag with some funny bits, 3 was dreadful, and 6 was mostly bad with like two good jokes. Which isn't a terrible batting average, I guess! I think the hit rate's actually pretty similar to the Comedy Central run, but it definitely has a tone that's closer to the original run's sensibility.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Who did Cara Delevingne voice in that episode?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Android Blues posted:

So far, I've liked 1, 2 and 5, thought 4 was a mixed bag with some funny bits, 3 was dreadful, and 6 was mostly bad with like two good jokes. Which isn't a terrible batting average, I guess! I think the hit rate's actually pretty similar to the Comedy Central run, but it definitely has a tone that's closer to the original run's sensibility.

Mostly agree. 1 & 2 were both good. 5 was very good. The other three have been fine. Not good.....but not dreadful like some of the CC episodes were. Feels like each one of these episodes at least had a few good gags or jokes.....which again......is more than I can say for some of the CC episodes.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I liked it. Probably doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all but I was willing to let the silliness wash over me. Best of the season IMO so far.

Nice outro and tribute to Coolio as well.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I think I missed something but how did Bender + Zoidberg appear in the time machine at the end?

From what I understand, 3023 B+Z go to 3024 and kidnap Santa and then go back to 3023 and kill him. Then 2023 Santa shows up and some other B+Z appear in 3023 to kidnap him too? Did I miss a "1 year later" in there somewhere?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

koolkal posted:

I think I missed something but how did Bender + Zoidberg appear in the time machine at the end?

From what I understand, 3023 B+Z go to 3024 and kidnap Santa and then go back to 3023 and kill him. Then 2023 Santa shows up and some other B+Z appear in 3023 to kidnap him too? Did I miss a "1 year later" in there somewhere?

They said why, Zoidberg messed up the time machine controls and they just went ahead one week so that was them from earlier in the episode.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Zoidberg hosed up and went 1 week into the future instead of 1 year into the future.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Okay episode but I’m really getting sick of them doing ones that are heavily connected to previous episodes. It’s nice they got Coolio again just in time though.:rip:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I liked it. Made me laugh more than any other episode. "No, they crave death" was definitely the standout but I also really liked some of the others. The ski made out of chicken was amusing. Then Fry saying he ate his ski was even better. I also really liked Bender stopping Zoidberg from confessing so that he could.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

koolkal posted:

They intended to go back to 3022 X-Mas to kidnap santa. If you pay attention closely, you'll see that Zoidberg actually moves the lever to go forward through time. They actually went one week forward to kidnap Santa from their upcoming X-Mas. The Bender and Zoidberg we see appearing at the end of the episode are the ones that time traveled in the middle of the episode.

The episode was ok, but it seems like Santa gets more and more dumb every time they use him. This time he devolved into saying "mmm cookie?" repeatedly for some reason.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that was weird. A lot of the dialogue through this run has been oddly juvenile.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think Santa gets stupider every year

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Mostly agree. 1 & 2 were both good. 5 was very good. The other three have been fine. Not good.....but not dreadful like some of the CC episodes were. Feels like each one of these episodes at least had a few good gags or jokes.....which again......is more than I can say for some of the CC episodes.

5 was reasonable, like a low end original run or mid CC run episode.
The others have all been poo poo.

Still, one decent episode is better than I expected to get!

IMDB wise 1,5,6 all have reasonable ratings, the others are extremely low. That said not many people are voting compared to what you'd normally see, I wonder how many people are even watching this? Felt like it came back with barely any fanfare, even Disenchantment got more than this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I got some good chuckles out of the episode so in that sense I was happy, though it's still nowhere near the standard of previous years. The Professor declaring he was gonna go alone before pointedly looking at Fry and saying,"So nobody accidentally becomes their own grandfather :mad:" cracked me up. But yeah,"They crave death" was definitely the highlight of the episode.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Taear posted:

Felt like it came back with barely any fanfare, even Disenchantment got more than this.

Well Hulu released it during an actor's strike. Can't promote a struck work under the actor's strike. So all they got is putting out teasers on the homepage or maybe some lovely news articles on the ad news sites and hope for word of mouth. But word of mouth doesn't work if they made a bunch of poo poo episodes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Split second of Disenchantment when in the time machine. Episode sucked just because of that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Split second of Disenchantment when in the time machine. Episode sucked just because of that.

I actually liked that little detail, even if I don't care for the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In the future or the past?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

In the future or the past?

I think it was in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well Hulu released it during an actor's strike. Can't promote a struck work under the actor's strike. So all they got is putting out teasers on the homepage or maybe some lovely news articles on the ad news sites and hope for word of mouth. But word of mouth doesn't work if they made a bunch of poo poo episodes.

It's on Disney+ here in the real world
Doesn't even have a banner!

Okay that episode was dogshit. For one we've had robot santa die already and I don't really think we need to return to that. And if his plan was "go back and alter robot santa" wouldn't that have changed all of history pretty markedly for them all? Normally futurama is good on stuff like that. I hope it was a deliberate joke of "I have to go back and do it because he'll be prepared if i do it in the present" then showing Zoidberg/Bender just regularly beat him up with literally no problem at all

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 30, 2023