Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

He's a Chicagoland man, from Orland Park.

Got that Staley sticker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

He's a Chicagoland man, from Orland Park.

Can we call him Dan Feenski instead?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The count is at 2

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Ringer projected best and worst offenses and defenses. Rankings and excerpts from the summaries below.

Offense:

10. Lions

quote:

Add it all up, and the Lions are a tough offense to project. I like the coordinator and the offensive line, and I believe Goff can do what he needs to with the right pieces around him. But I’m not sold on the pass-catching options and think the offense will likely regress in the areas listed above. I see a very good offense that could take a slight step back.

16. Vikings

quote:

One, last year’s offensive performance was the worst the Vikings have had from an efficiency standpoint in Cousins’s Minnesota tenure. And two, we pretty much know that we’ll get a high-floor, low-ceiling passing game with Cousins. The Vikings have finished between 11th and 17th in passing DVOA every season with him. ... Outlier seasons happen, but based on what we’ve seen with the Vikings under Cousins, this is the range where they’re most likely to land.

20. Packers

quote:

That said, I’d be higher on the Packers if they had better pass-catching talent. Wide receiver Christian Watson was electric once he got a chance last year, but beyond him, there are just so many unknowns. Maybe one of the other young players on this roster will pop, but that’s far from a given.

In the end, I think I’m more bullish on this group than consensus is. The Packers will be able to run the ball and protect Love. That should at least give him a chance.

25. Bears

quote:

Fields ranked 33rd out of 33 qualifying starters in sack rate, was 32nd in INT rate, and had a league-high 16 fumbles. I’m convinced that Fields can make the spectacular plays. I’m unconvinced that he can cut down on the negative plays. This group has a high ceiling if Fields makes a significant leap. I just don’t think that’s the most likely outcome.

Defense:

22. Packers

quote:

This group has underachieved, given its talent level, in each of the past two seasons—finishing 20th in DVOA last year and 22nd in 2021. Usually when that happens, the head coach makes a move at defensive coordinator. But Matt LaFleur is giving Joe Barry another chance to right the ship. ... They had the fifth-healthiest defense last year. If that regresses to league average, their depth will be tested more. The Packers defense ranked sixth in EPA on takeaways. It’d be no surprise to see them regress at least a little there too.

Add it all up, and I see a defense that is most likely to be mediocre once again.

23. Lions

quote:

The Lions have enough talent to produce a strong pass rush, and the secondary should at least be improved. I don’t think this defense will be great, but I think it will at least make the leap from bad to competent.

25. Vikings

quote:

Up front, the only sure thing is edge rusher Danielle Hunter. Linebacker is a question. And cornerback looks like one of the weakest areas of the roster. I’m not discounting Flores’s ability to do more with less, but he might need to work miracles just to get this defense to mediocrity.

28. Bears

quote:

the pass rush should be better, but it’s still looking like one of the worst in the NFL.

Elsewhere, the Bears have some defensive talent. The investment at linebacker should pay off. Jaylon Johnson is a nice piece at corner, but the rest of that group is unproven. Safety Jaquan Brisker is coming off of a promising rookie season.

The biggest reason to believe in improvement here is the schedule. The defense faced the second-hardest schedule of opposing offenses last year. This year, only five teams have an easier overall projected schedule than Chicago. I see an improved unit, but a below-average one.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/28/23848353/projecting-every-nfl-offense-overall-ranking-2023-season
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/29/23848577/ranking-best-worst-nfl-defenses-2023-season

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me the Bears are going to suck? That doesn't seem right.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

The oldest player on the GB roster is now Bakh at 31.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

God drat I love the idea of forgetting peoples names so often you just call everyone Big Nuts.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

EDDIE JACKSON IS NOT UNPROVEN!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

Running is for losers.

The Bears had the best rushing offense in the league last season and came in dead last, so this checks out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Bears offense is going to be one of the best if Fields is healthy and bad if he isn't. Simple as.

The defense I do not care. They spent money so probably middle of the pack.

So, 5 win team when Fields tweaks something week 4 and being a step too slow gets him hurt irrevocably week 10.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the Bears are a playoff team which they would likely be with one of the top offenses and a middle of the pack defense.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Defense:
22. Packers
23. Lions
25. Vikings
28. Bears

OK, it's extremely funny how low we all are.

Hot Diggity! posted:

The oldest player on the GB roster is now Bakh at 31.

Not only that, but he's the only 31-year-old. There are two players age 30 (Preston Smith + De'Vondre Campbell) and two age 29 (Rasul Dougless + Dallin Leavit).

This is a young team. We'll see how LaFleur manages it!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Cox and Heath are two undrafted players who have made the initial roster for the Packers. Cox in particular has a wild story where he was a 5 star recruit and started as a true freshman at freaking Georgia, then went to Florida where he was also eventually kicked off the team.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

HootTheOwl posted:

The Bears offense is going to be one of the best if Fields is healthy and bad if he isn't. Simple as.

The defense I do not care. They spent money so probably middle of the pack.

So, 5 win team when Fields tweaks something week 4 and being a step too slow gets him hurt irrevocably week 10.

I do not believe that the Bears offense will be among the best under any circumstance this season.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

surf rock posted:

This is a young team. We'll see how LaFleur manages it!
Considering how well he is managing the defensive coaching staff...

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

sweet geek swag posted:

I do not believe that the Bears offense will be among the best under any circumstance this season.

I haven't watched Fields at all this pre-season, but I think if he makes a pretty large leap in his passing they can be real good. I don't know that I think he's gonna do that and I wouldn't be surprised to see his running come back to earth a bit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sweet geek swag posted:

They were among (if not) the best last year in running offense.

Also like when everyone was healthy, and they started, like actually using Fields last year, they were one of the highest scoring offenses in the league. until mooney got hurt, the offensive line got more hurt and they essentially openly started tanking.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Scipiotik posted:

I haven't watched Fields at all this pre-season, but I think if he makes a pretty large leap in his passing they can be real good. I don't know that I think he's gonna do that and I wouldn't be surprised to see his running come back to earth a bit.

The newest Athletic preview covers the NFC North and the list of QBS that they compared him to in EPA per play was like The Grand List of Busts. It included one Kyle Orton, Josh Rosen…

The difference seems to be he’s not an rear end in a top hat and his situation was so bad last year he has the situation to get better

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like the thing about the Bears this preseason is that like, they were largely(and smartly btw) playing with one hand tied behind their back.

They did like no planned rollouts, no QB runs, no Read options. very little play action.

They cut their offense down to straight up runs out of Singleback and the gun, and normal drop back passing.

And largely seemed to be working on some dropback and quick game/screen stuff.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Isentropy posted:

The newest Athletic preview covers the NFC North and the list of QBS that they compared him to in EPA per play was like The Grand List of Busts. It included one Kyle Orton, Josh Rosen…

The difference seems to be he’s not an rear end in a top hat and his situation was so bad last year he has the situation to get better

EPA completely rakes you over the coals for Sacks.

Fields does need to not hold on to the ball, and try and play superman, but also man it'd help if he wasn't facing instant pressure all the time.

Like a 5-10 yard sack depending on where you are, can be worth anywhere from like -.5 to -2 EPA.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonLieser/status/1696365915623878765

Never heard of this guy, lemme do some quick research

Alright I've seen enough, home run of a trade

Crushing the all important head:neck ratio metric.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Emanuel Wilson made the 53. 3 total UDFAs making the 53 this season, wow.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Emanuel Wilson made the 53. 3 total UDFAs making the 53 this season, wow.

I think the most surprising thing of the 53 is only carrying 4 CBs on the roster.

E: and 6 OLBs

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1696615828047716679

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 29, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

I think the most surprising thing of the 53 is only carrying 4 CBs on the roster.

E: and 6 OLBs

There's 11 linemen as well, but I think Tenuta's gonna get put on IR tomorrow. (This probably makes room for our long snapper Orzech to come back onto the roster). 6 OLBs probably points towards this being an effectively redshirt season for Van Ness while they teach him actual pass rushing techniques.

The only surprise cut from my POV is DuBose not making the team. Seems like a lock for the practice squad, though.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's 11 linemen as well, but I think Tenuta's gonna get put on IR tomorrow. (This probably makes room for our long snapper Orzech to come back onto the roster). 6 OLBs probably points towards this being an effectively redshirt season for Van Ness while they teach him actual pass rushing techniques.

The only surprise cut from my POV is DuBose not making the team. Seems like a lock for the practice squad, though.

Correct

https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1696621545349578821

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Someone like Wicks could also go to IR and they could bring someone like Ballantine back as the fifth corner. But I think that person will just be on the practice squad, especially since they are really the 6th corner with Stokes being the 5th once he comes off the PUP list. Especially now that PUP was reduced to four games.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Hand Row posted:

Someone like Wicks could also go to IR and they could bring someone like Ballantine back as the fifth corner. But I think that person will just be on the practice squad, especially since they are really the 6th corner with Stokes being the 5th once he comes off the PUP list. Especially now that PUP was reduced to four games.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Stokes stays off the active roster until after the week 6 bye

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/burchie_kid/status/1696617000074698757?t=Zxzfgm_ct82Gfy1uiWrAWQ&s=19

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Very brave to willing pick up the tab of an O-line feast.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Does each of these shrimp cocktails contain like 10 shrimp? Because 40-50 shrimps is an appetizer for most of us in the midwest

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Hey Frank, the ocean called..."

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Like the thing about the Bears this preseason is that like, they were largely(and smartly btw) playing with one hand tied behind their back.

They did like no planned rollouts, no QB runs, no Read options. very little play action.

They cut their offense down to straight up runs out of Singleback and the gun, and normal drop back passing.

And largely seemed to be working on some dropback and quick game/screen stuff.

This is killing me.

Bears don't show anything on offense in the preseason.

Everyone I know: WHY AREN'T THE BEARS SHOWING ANYTHING IN THE PRESEASON!

I don't care. All camp reports seem to indicate Fields is playing like the dude. I'll wait until I see a full game of football before drawing any conclusions.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nobody really shows anything.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

EPA completely rakes you over the coals for Sacks.

Fields does need to not hold on to the ball, and try and play superman, but also man it'd help if he wasn't facing instant pressure all the time.

Like a 5-10 yard sack depending on where you are, can be worth anywhere from like -.5 to -2 EPA.

That's true, but their line is still going to be bad so I don't know if they'll see that much improvement.

The Bears are weird in that for decades they haven't been able to figure out that a good offensive line is important to the success of your offense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No one puts any real effort in preseason, I confidently claim on the same day that 1200 players, rookies and veterans both, are cut for not playing well enough.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lions 53 is weird. We'll see what changes though as I think they will IR Iffy.

They cut Craig Reynolds and are just rolling with 2rb and Cabinda.

They kept 6 linebackers. I don't think any press thought they would do that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

No one puts any real effort in preseason, I confidently claim on the same day that 1200 players, rookies and veterans both, are cut for not playing well enough.

Preseason only matters so much for these things versus like what the coaches have been seeing for the past month or two in practices and OTAs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's official: bears waive gipson and vildore.
Vildore sucks but I think letting gipson go is a mistake. I'd have found somewhere for him

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's official: bears waive gipson and vildore.
Vildore sucks but I think letting gipson go is a mistake. I'd have found somewhere for him

I mean, he didn’t want to be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That requires you to take his agent at face value and I don't