Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Maroon Hawk posted:

According to the new Dev Diary, the game will not only model building collapses, it will even mode citizens becoming trapped in the rubble and needing rescue

This fuckin’ game, man

I guess I'm the minority here but that stuff is not at all what I want in a city simulator. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, too immediately visceral to really be fun. I don't want to think about individuals, the agent simulation is cool and all but enabling me to visualize the horrific scenarios I'm creating for my lil guys is the opposite of what I want from wielding my godlike power.

I figure avoiding that feeling is how billionaires turn into supervillains.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CS1 had building collapses and people trapped in rubble too, though? If you had an emergency response team make it to a burned down or collapsed building then it'd respawn with its previous occupants intact. CS2 isn't really any different in that way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I guess I'm the minority here but that stuff is not at all what I want in a city simulator. :sigh:

Yeah there's a lot of modeling and focus on stuff that I don't want in the game. Fortunately it sounds like you can ignore it. Like the industrial stuff, I enjoy Factorio as much as the next guy but I have zero interest in production chains and poo poo in my city simulator. If it is actually self-balancing as claimed then it's fine I guess, I don't have to care.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sure you can ignore it, mostly, but the opportunity cost is huge. Like, this is the stuff they're devoting time and energy to instead of actually simulating a city in the macro, because in their hearts they're not actually that interested in city management. Just transportation management, production chains, and emulating The Sims.

Not saying this is in any way a bad move on their part. Obviously the market for what they're doing is big and CS2 is going to puke money everywhere. Just a bit of a bummer to me personally that it's 2023 and I'm still battling it out with Simcity 4's mountains of jank to scratch the city building itch.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 28, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sure you can ignore it, mostly, but the opportunity cost is huge. Like, this is the stuff they're devoting time and energy to instead of actually simulating a city in the macro, because in their hearts they're not actually that interested in city management. Just transportation management, production chains, and emulating The Sims.

Not saying this is in any way a bad move on their part. Obviously the market for what they're doing is big and CS2 is going to puke money everywhere. Just a bit of a bummer to me personally that it's 2023 and I'm still battling it out with Simcity 4's mountains of jank to scratch the city building itch.

Just curious, I am mainly more in the 'casual city painter' crowd but can you elaborate on what Simcity 4 does better than CS1 / potentially CS2? From a casual's viewpoint (maybe with a bit of haze since I haven't played SC4 in almost a decade), SC4 felt like just making sure traffic didn't go boom and plopping services down to make buildings higher.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeC posted:

Just curious, I am mainly more in the 'casual city painter' crowd but can you elaborate on what Simcity 4 does better than CS1 / potentially CS2? From a casual's viewpoint (maybe with a bit of haze since I haven't played SC4 in almost a decade), SC4 felt like just making sure traffic didn't go boom and plopping services down to make buildings higher.

on top of letting you design your sims in the sims and then import them into sim city 4 it also let you drive cars around and talk to people with your microphone

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

They're doing bottom-up emergent simulation, the macro simulation can only exist as a summation of improved and more detailed low-level elements combining together in statistically significant amounts.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MikeJF posted:

They're doing bottom-up emergent simulation, the macro simulation can only exist as a summation of improved and more detailed low-level elements combining together in statistically significant amounts.

I'm not sure if the phrase "bottom up emergent simulation" ever resulted in actual good game play.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dwarf Fortress?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

MikeC posted:

I think the way SC4 keeps the simulation abstracted rather than completely tethered down to the agent/traffic systems allows a lot more focus on the city in a 'macro' sense rather than getting bogs down with the minutiae of particular interchanges and such. In Skylines, the traffic is so central to everything, getting parts of it slightly wrong has cascading effects on every single part of the city -- and in a way most of the game's challenge is then centered around that. In SC4, the traffic is just one of a series of interconnected systems, each one allowed to shine.

It's honestly a thing where I think it mostly is from a casual's viewpoint (like me too) that SC4 is much better in this way. I'm sure if you're an expert at traffic management in Skylines and can bend it over your knee, there comes a point where you can just muscle-memory down some basic routes and focus much more on the macro. But SC4 makes that style of play much more accessible. Since I don't need to think if each of the 300 individual exits in my region are actually designed perfectly, I can focus more of my thoughts on my neat new monorail network and so on.

Also that's a purely gameplay argument. From an aesthetic/audio standpoint, SC4 is just a different class of game, and that'll probably keep me going back to it forever. AAA studios with worldclass art teams just don't make citybuilders anymore.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Koramei posted:

I think the way SC4 keeps the simulation abstracted rather than completely tethered down to the agent/traffic systems allows a lot more focus on the city in a 'macro' sense rather than getting bogs down with the minutiae of particular interchanges and such. In Skylines, the traffic is so central to everything, getting parts of it slightly wrong has cascading effects on every single part of the city -- and in a way most of the game's challenge is then centered around that. In SC4, the traffic is just one of a series of interconnected systems, each one allowed to shine.

It's honestly a thing where I think it mostly is from a casual's viewpoint (like me too) that SC4 is much better in this way. I'm sure if you're an expert at traffic management in Skylines and can bend it over your knee, there comes a point where you can just muscle-memory down some basic routes and focus much more on the macro. But SC4 makes that style of play much more accessible. Since I don't need to think if each of the 300 individual exits in my region are actually designed perfectly, I can focus more of my thoughts on my neat new monorail network and so on.

Also that's a purely gameplay argument. From an aesthetic/audio standpoint, SC4 is just a different class of game, and that'll probably keep me going back to it forever. AAA studios with worldclass art teams just don't make citybuilders anymore.

cities skylines 1 sucks as a city builder because it barely has any kind of economic or demographic simulation in it. without simulated cars and trains and stuff it just would barely be a game at all. i don't think that it's fair to judge CS2 based on that specific merit since basically all of these dev diaries have been detailing how the sim is significantly more detailed and traffic less finicky

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Vehicles using multiple lanes and emergency vehicles getting priority should hopefully mean non-transportation gameplay elements function largely separately from traffic management. That said, I've been hoping to see a bit more meat on the bones of interesting gameplay and tradeoffs with these other systems, and it hasn't quite gotten there for me.

This may be a North American-centric view, but beyond transit, the biggest city challenges would be education and crime. I haven't seen much that would indicate those systems are interesting or challenging to play with. While I've seen that yes, the game has homeless people, I haven't seen anything showing "rough" neighborhoods that would be an interesting challenge to improve, like there were in SC4.

I can't say I know exactly what interesting education gameplay might look like. Crime probably has more potential. But both would likely be well served with several available ordinances and I don't think there are too many of those, at least on release.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
While it's not very deep, the well-being and crime systems should be capable of organically creating bad neighborhoods. (Keyword "should")

quote:

Citizens can become criminals. The probability of this is relatively low but the chance is increased if the citizen’s Well-being is low. When this happens, the citizen will commit a crime to earn income by first selecting the target of their criminal activity. The target is a building where the robbery takes place and it is selected by comparing the buildings in the city and their crime probability values. The final choice is a random pick from the group of buildings with the highest crime probability values. The citizens living in the building targeted by the criminal will suffer a temporary loss of Well-being.
Cim 1 has low well-being for lack of services, robs a place, lowers the well-being of that place, Cim 2 now has low well-being and is tempted to rob a place, etc. With low police coverage criminal cims would continue to perform robberies, etc.

Unsurprisingly all that can be solved by improving quality of life but you could just be american and cover the place with cops instead. Crime won't be solved but it'll certainly get caught.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 29, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. Generally these things don't need to be too deep in a simulation set up like this as long as they're detailed enough to create feedback loops with themselves or other simulation elements. Once that's in place (and they've balanced it to make sure it doesn't go runaway too early) then you can start to get complexity developing naturally and creating macroscopic structures.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Getting incredibly detailed about education seems like it would be a good DLC. I hope we get that rather than something like the universities dlc

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The building expansion system seems like a good way that they can add extra systems and layers to things like education in DLC.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

That workplace availability view looks like it will be helpful. Playing CS1 now I keep wishing I had one of those, to give me a bit more data than just 'C/I/O here = jobs here' or going into each building to see how many jobs it supports.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think sim city 4 is absolutely dire as a game and couldn't be happier that nobody is trying to remake it.

As overly simplistic as CS1 was in many respects I still found it infinitely more enjoyable than simcity.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I can't say looking back that SC4's education and crime systems were especially interesting.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think education is pretty well done. It's one of the main systems that reflects change over the much longer term, takes significant capital to invest in and watch flourish, and then has a majorly transformative effect on the entire city. I'm not an expert SC4 player but gradually increasing education level -> quality of jobs is (aside from making a dope-rear end huge airport) basically 'the goal' in SC4 imo. It's kind of a barometer for general quality of your city.

Crime though sucks yeah and has taken some admittedly extremely minor heat for being a kind of regressive and lovely way to portray how crime develops -- not through city policy or lack of services or opportunity etc, but just as a natural thing innate to humans that needs to be squelched by putting out sufficient numbers of boots on the ground. The system people were just talking about for Skylines 2 sounds a lot more interesting.

I'll always go to bat for SC4 though, I definitely think it's a better made game than Skylines 1. IMO it's one of the best strategy games of all time. The aesthetics and feel, not just in an outward sense of the graphics and sounds etc (but also those), but just in the way your city develops, the pace of the game and the interconnectedness of the region play, strikes imo the perfect balance for a simulationist game. Many of the systems could definitely be improved, but the level to which you're controlling stuff is perfect -- low down enough that you do get to make some fiddly choices if so inclined, but largely high level enough that you can be thinking about bigger things. There's enough control over the minutiae to make things engaging when you're small-scale, but unlike basically every other colony sim / city builder I've played, it never gets overwhelming even when it scales up.
Especially when combined with the stellar art/audio, it just helps the cities you make feel so alive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope they put an orthographic camera mode in SC2.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have to say, going complete sicko mode in C:S plopping every building and zooming around at eye level placing individual vending machines and trash cans and poo poo is the most fun I've ever had with the game. Playing it as a high level city simulator along the lines of SC4 was never that satisfying, but as a micro detail experience it's far superior. You just straight up can't do this with SC4's engine.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I have to say, going complete sicko mode in C:S plopping every building and zooming around at eye level placing individual vending machines and trash cans and poo poo is the most fun I've ever had with the game. Playing it as a high level city simulator along the lines of SC4 was never that satisfying, but as a micro detail experience it's far superior. You just straight up can't do this with SC4's engine.

yup, I've been doing a hybrid of this. Going super detailed and plopping key districts and landmarks while the main fabric and infrastructure of the city is grown from the basic game mechanics.

Have the developers said anything more about improved mod support?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
One thought I just had: what happens to cims when you demolish their house? Do they keep existing and need to move into a new place/become homeless? It would be pretty remarkable if demolishing a district to build a new highway actually had consequences like it does in real life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think they've detailed that specific situation but from the other stuff they've said I suspect you're right, they have to move or become homeless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Which dovetails extremely well with the traffic simulation. Sure you can just zone a big pile of stuff but that's very boring and is no more interesting in sim city. The greater attention you pay to the details of how everything works the better the game is.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I haven't played Sim City 4 in a long rear end while but the thing that tempts me is region mode. Cities don't exist in a vacuum and what your neighbors are doing DOES matter. That said having the tile unlocks be non-contiguous might be enough for me, as I like complexity but there's a limit to what I can manage.

I am excited for CS2, though I do feel like it'll be a little rough around the edges at the beginning.

The other thing that I don't know if I would actually like in a city builder but would make it more like real life: Construction not being instantaneous. I don't think there's a way to make it fun without designing it around construction being the main focus (like Cities in Motion but more like Cities in Detour) and even then I think that it wouldn't be fun. Would force you to make different decisions about what infra you nuke to put in some shiney turbo interchange.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't really make a difference, you're just building the same thing over and over again, or building the same thing but spread over several regions. It doesn't really change the game any except that you get the zoomed out map view to be full eventually.

Also if you want construction simulator I would recommend workers and resources soviet republic :v:

Which yes makes you extremely averse to renovating or disrupting existing infrastructure because jesus christ is the disruption it causes a nightmare.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you want construction simulator I would recommend workers and resources soviet republic :v:

I guess that is the kind of game I'm envisioning. On the wish-list but I am also trying not to become the kind of person who "relaxes" from their engineering job to do pretend engineering in a video game. :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I had an inventory management job for a while where I basically owned the entire process, so while the incremental optimization tricks I were doing in Factorio felt nice, it felt *way too similar* to what I did at work so that game was shelved.

Is it rose tinted glasses or did low wealth housing in SC4 look actually low wealth instead of just small? I felt that CS1 level 1 housing looked a little too clean, so it was hard to make rough neighborhoods.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

buglord posted:

I had an inventory management job for a while where I basically owned the entire process, so while the incremental optimization tricks I were doing in Factorio felt nice, it felt *way too similar* to what I did at work so that game was shelved.

Is it rose tinted glasses or did low wealth housing in SC4 look actually low wealth instead of just small? I felt that CS1 level 1 housing looked a little too clean, so it was hard to make rough neighborhoods.

It did, and you could have low wealth housing of any density. Also it had a system to apply props and decals to the building so it would literally add some grime texture when the neighborhood was bad

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't really make a difference, you're just building the same thing over and over again, or building the same thing but spread over several regions. It doesn't really change the game any except that you get the zoomed out map view to be full eventually.

Which yes makes you extremely averse to renovating or disrupting existing infrastructure because jesus christ is the disruption it causes a nightmare.

SC4's region mode also had neat quirk of not really working well in simulations. The tiles don't actually run when you're not playing in the tile, and when you're playing in a tile, data from the other tiles is just used as a frozen snapshot. To have tiles update you have to go in to each tile and let it run for a few minutes.

The region mode doesn't have any smart logic between tiles when you're in the region view, so there's issues you run in to easily like the eternal commuter loop: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/72324-help-removing-a-commuter-loop/ , where your workers commute to the next tile for work since its closest, and then when you play in that tile, they go to the next tile because its the fastest connection, then in that tile they're driving to the next tile because its closer, etc., until your city is filled with commuters who never actually go to work, they just drive around your region forever and ever.

Also I don't really like having big cities where the edge of a tile is a hard cutoff to another tile, C:S you're less likely to actually hit the edge of a tile, you're more likely to run in to terrain that contains the spread of the sprawl.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

It did, and you could have low wealth housing of any density. Also it had a system to apply props and decals to the building so it would literally add some grime texture when the neighborhood was bad

Hoping CS2 releases an American Malaise DLC shortly after launch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

piratepilates posted:

SC4's region mode also had neat quirk of not really working well in simulations. The tiles don't actually run when you're not playing in the tile, and when you're playing in a tile, data from the other tiles is just used as a frozen snapshot. To have tiles update you have to go in to each tile and let it run for a few minutes.

The region mode doesn't have any smart logic between tiles when you're in the region view, so there's issues you run in to easily like the eternal commuter loop: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/72324-help-removing-a-commuter-loop/ , where your workers commute to the next tile for work since its closest, and then when you play in that tile, they go to the next tile because its the fastest connection, then in that tile they're driving to the next tile because its closer, etc., until your city is filled with commuters who never actually go to work, they just drive around your region forever and ever.

Also I don't really like having big cities where the edge of a tile is a hard cutoff to another tile, C:S you're less likely to actually hit the edge of a tile, you're more likely to run in to terrain that contains the spread of the sprawl.

Oh yeah you can set up a city next door to buy shitloads of power or sell you waste and then just do that forever without worrying about that city's budget.

Much prefer to have actual shipping of goods around a single map and handling the infrastructure to do that, much more interesting game. Having different resources in different parts of the map and moving them around works much better IMO.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

buglord posted:

Production planner playing Satisfactory here. Please kill me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Production planner playing Satisfactory here. Please kill me.

Have you suggested incorporating giant suction tubes to move people around the production floor more efficiently?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Reading some of the dev diaries it doesn't seem to me that the devs are able to conceptualize of the differences between macro and micro level simulation and how they're pretty different things that don't really interact much in meaningful ways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

buglord posted:

There was a system to add stuff dynamically, so a lovely neighborhood would have trash everywhere and crimes would leave evidence, like chalk outlines on the ground after murders or trees full of toilet paper. I think walls would get tagged too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

Hoping CS2 releases an American Malaise DLC shortly after launch.

I was going to ask earlier, mostly seriously, if the opioid crisis and homelessness would be featured in the game before deciding it was in poor taste.

But not all cities are shining. I want bad areas to be possible.