Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Anywho Q2 Ground Zero has okay level designs in sort of a technical way, but they're not intuitive at all and involve doubling back but not looping back, as someone else noted. The one thing I think GZ is doing very well that base Q2 didn't really do is have memorable encounters and events. The secret level that's just you climbing up a level as it fills with lava (even though you end up with the worst weapon across the game and all expansions), the bit where you can disguise as a Strogg guard and sneak around without enemies going aggro, a trap where a bunch of enemies above rain down grenades and bullets on you while a gladiator very slowly cuts a hole in the wall to attack you. I just wish they'd back off with the medics and super medics, having one rush out immediately after you kill a tank commander to rez it is loving bullllllshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Kins posted:

This is neat: Some modders have been hacking co-op and a mod SDK into Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and they've just received "blank check approval" from the rightsholders at Ubisoft to do and release pretty much whatever they want without fear of the dreaded legals. I wish more modding projects could live with this kind of confidence that they won't be smote at any moment, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh hell yeah

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Anywho Q2 Ground Zero has okay level designs in sort of a technical way, but they're not intuitive at all and involve doubling back but not looping back, as someone else noted. The one thing I think GZ is doing very well that base Q2 didn't really do is have memorable encounters and events. The secret level that's just you climbing up a level as it fills with lava (even though you end up with the worst weapon across the game and all expansions), the bit where you can disguise as a Strogg guard and sneak around without enemies going aggro, a trap where a bunch of enemies above rain down grenades and bullets on you while a gladiator very slowly cuts a hole in the wall to attack you. I just wish they'd back off with the medics and super medics, having one rush out immediately after you kill a tank commander to rez it is loving bullllllshit.

Remember your ABGs

A) Always

B) Be

G) Gibbing.

Always be gibbing.

Always. Be. Gibbing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I saw that one particular section in Operation: Corpse Run coming from a mile away.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The 7th Guest posted:

Oh woops I thought I put Cultic in the second tier, it’s very good

also I don’t have Ultrakill yet

is this a challenge? lol. i could go into my wishlist of upcoming games: Effigy, Fallen Aces, Lorn's Lure, Robobeat, Selaco, Beyond Sunset, Relentless Frontier, Wizordum, Coven, Echo Point Nova, ENA Dream BBQ, Captain Wayne: Vacation Desperation

Not a single one of those is real, I refuse to believe it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

This is neat: Some modders have been hacking co-op and a mod SDK into Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and they've just received "blank check approval" from the rightsholders at Ubisoft to do and release pretty much whatever they want without fear of the dreaded legals. I wish more modding projects could live with this kind of confidence that they won't be smote at any moment, but I'll take what I can get.

:hellyeah: this is great news!

Guillermus posted:

gently caress

- actual quote from 'kingpin', (c) 1999 xatrix

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 29, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenomrph posted:

Not a single one of those is real, I refuse to believe it.

What, you've never played Bloodaissance Ripper III? You're missing out.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baron von Eevl posted:

... i cant remember the lava trap. Whats the worst weapon in teh game?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's the secret level in Ground Zero's first "unit", which you have to find during the countdown. You get the Chainfist, a melee weapon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A.o.D. posted:

Remember your ABGs

A) Always

B) Be

G) Gibbing.

Always be gibbing.

Always. Be. Gibbing.

Yeah, but when the medic runs out timed for the moment you kill the tank it suuucks, you have to time it exactly right. But yeah, I'll gib anything bigger than a grunt when I have a chance.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The chainsaw fist. It's low damage, melee range only, and the time for damage varies depending on what animation the rng plays so you can't even time it right.

edit: it's the secret level in unit 1
https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Mine_Engineering

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 29, 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
it also doesn't seem to stunlock the opponent so it's not even good against melee opponents.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's so bad I forgot it even existed!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I didn't even see it in the list when I first read this post, but: FYI Blood West is not a retro shooter at all, it's a first person stealth horror game.

e; and Neon Struct is a Thief clone, and VHS is a first-person horror Metroidvania, and Gloomwood is also not an FPS.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 29, 2023

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's a Weird West Stalker-like and is good. Still in EA though, mind.

Deadlink is good too. No idea if it qualifies as a retro FPS but I got it in a 'boomer shooter' pack recently. Is there a label as annoying as boomer shooter? No.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's a Weird West Stalker-like and is good. Still in EA though, mind.

Deadlink is good too. No idea if it qualifies as a retro FPS but I got it in a 'boomer shooter' pack recently. Is there a label as annoying as boomer shooter? No.

welcome to the immersive sim category (label) on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/category/sim_life/?facets13268=2%3A24

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

All first person games are shooters now, so sayeth the tags

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Immersive sim is a dumb name too. They're clearly 0451s.

Arivia posted:

welcome to the immersive sim category (label) on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/category/sim_life/?facets13268=2%3A24

I'm guessing this comes from people not knowing what immersive sims should be and focusing on the sim bit. I don't remember much hacking or vent crawling in my time with Euro Truck Simulator at any rate.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 29, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I call them FPS games

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I call them FPS games

"3D Monster Maze clones"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Kins posted:

Co-op Dark Messiah?

Kicking an orc back and forth forever...

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Crowetron posted:

Co-op Dark Messiah?

Kicking an orc back and forth forever...

Make your co-op buddy slip down stairs or off ledges with the ice spell

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Replaying some Wolfenstein 09 and something about the voice acting makes the whole thing feel like a top secret! / naked gun style comedy. eg i wouldn't be surprised to hear:

Eric Engle: "BJ! Over here!"
BJ Blazkowicz: "Not right now Eric, we've got Nazis to kill"
*kills 500 nazis*

it's a better game than the new ones tbh

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

it's a better game than the new ones tbh

Going to go back in time and alter the timestream so Wolf 09 never gets made entirely so I don't have to hear people say this anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

I didn't even see it in the list when I first read this post, but: FYI Blood West is not a retro shooter at all, it's a first person stealth horror game.

e; and Neon Struct is a Thief clone, and VHS is a first-person horror Metroidvania, and Gloomwood is also not an FPS.
ehhhhhh they’re retro lookin and you shoot in them idc

except for gloomwood I guess but it is published by new blood

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's vaguely adjacent to Doom Eternal combat, which is vaguely adjacent to Doom, which is an old shooter; QED it's a boomer shooter, I guess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Going to go back in time and alter the timestream so Wolf 09 never gets made entirely so I don't have to hear people say this anymore.

Well I mean, Wolf 09 owns and should be re-released so more people can play it.

Likewise, Singularity is great too.

And if you want the slavjank version of Wolf 09, check out Ubersoldier 2 on Steam — it has nearly identical superpowers to the Veil powers from the 09 game. It also came out first. It also has HILARIOUSLY bad voice acting. Like, holy poo poo.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm stuck on a level from Call of the Machine. I'm on the level called Too Greedy and the compass is directing me to this door, but it says it opens elsewhere. Any idea where the switch is?

So if you push forward a little, there's a sequence where you climb around the area and there's a hidden switch that opens that gate to the lower levels. This is the 6th episode of Call of the Machine and without spoiling things the last part is hosed up big time!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

oh so you wouldn't stop hitler with the time machine or anything

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gloomwood is also not an FPS.

The Kins posted:

Wait, what? A FPS game where the "S" doesn't stand for "shooter"? That's right, kids. The "S" in this case stands for sneaker, and the aim is to avoid the superiorly-armed guards and furious monsters in order to steal loot out from right under their noses! There really isn't anything quite like this series on the market, even today.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

oh so you wouldn't stop hitler with the time machine or anything

If they stopped hitler we wouldn’t have ANY of the Wolfenstein games sooooo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well when you put it that way

Edit— two relevant skits:

https://youtu.be/33Zp3BXwDB8?si=hETnM9qWLttvpUfY

https://youtu.be/5NC7SkdRm5s?si=kps5QqV7sXbU3kZG

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 29, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So if you push forward a little, there's a sequence where you climb around the area and there's a hidden switch that opens that gate to the lower levels. This is the 6th episode of Call of the Machine and without spoiling things the last part is hosed up big time!!

Are you talking about the mission failed?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Gonna go back in time and make it so this post was never made.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are you talking about the mission failed?

I didn't really understand what happened but I ended up fighting a gigantic shambler from Quake which was pretty cool.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Re: Call of the Machine's "Operation Darkest Depths", I loved the idea that Quake & Quake 2 were in the same universe and that, beneath the Strogg and all of their machinery, an ancient, primitive evil dwelt.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Any thoughts on the collectible head of the Quake Ranger in one of the secret levels?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Any thoughts on the collectible head of the Quake Ranger in one of the secret levels?

Not sure, but in the original Quake II, there was a unique "adrenaline" pickup that took the crude form of John Carmack's head, and I can only assume that somebody ended up replacing it with Ranger's head in the remaster?

https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Adrenaline (see under "Ancient Head" section)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What's a good episode to start CotM with?