Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

while vehicles would be nice, id rather have some form of frictionless boots that could be used in combination with the jetpack to slide down hills and blast off of slopes. Some kind of "skiing" type movement, if you will

Morrowind had jetpacks decades ago, so would be strange is Starfield didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxRSr_JoPf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

netizen posted:

You get to keep the ship! But apparently you have to get it registered at the space DMV before you can add it to your fleet.

Yeah I'm fine with fleeing with the copper wire for most of the game :cool:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Starfield? More like StarFAIL!

Just getting ready for release I haven’t played it don’t send me to jail

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Whats up with people twisting themselves into such a pretzel to then self own so hard

Here are the facts hope you are ready:

Starfield is a game I am going to play. Maybe it will be good, I hope so! I want to pretend to be in space and go "WOOSH" and "PEWPEWPEW"

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mr. Pool posted:

Yeah I'm fine with fleeing with the copper wire for most of the game :cool:

Board ship -> take out crew -> steal anything that isn't nailed down -> leave ship -> blow it up -> scavenge the wreckage for parts.

You gotta be a THOROUGH kleptomaniac. This is a Bethesda game, after all. :colbert:

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Starfield? More like StarFAIL!

Just getting ready for release I haven’t played it don’t send me to jail

Starfailed was, like, right there and you didn't go for it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

K8.0 posted:

I'm not in the niche here, I'm explaining the mainstream to you. Bethesda massively outsells all other RPGs, and they do it with awful writing because no one gives a gently caress about the poo poo writing in RPGs.

You're right about one thing. Bethesda games do have awful writing.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Starfield? More like Seinfeld + Garfield!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

KakerMix posted:

Whats up with people twisting themselves into such a pretzel to then self own so hard

Here are the facts hope you are ready:

Starfield is a game I am going to play. Maybe it will be good, I hope so! I want to pretend to be in space and go "WOOSH" and "PEWPEWPEW"

I will play the game vicariously by reading everyone's posts. Todd will never get my money.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

afflictionwisp posted:

Starfailed was, like, right there and you didn't go for it.

Goddamn it ! More like Starfucktoddhoward! :argh:

But seriously I’m pretty hyped for Space Skyrim

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In the day one patch notes:

quote:

Improved distant object appearance when transitioning to the surface of a planet.
Say what now?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm a huge Todd Howard fan, I've played all of his games aside from Fallout Shelter and Elder Scrolls: Blades.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

KakerMix posted:

Oh, yea? Well I'm going to Role Play this game. :smugdog:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

In the day one patch notes:

Say what now?

"There is less pop-in during the cutscene of your ship landing on a planet."

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

K8.0 posted:

What are the best stories and best written characters in video games? Why are the majority of the answers you get not from RPGs, and why is the RPG that most consistently shows up in people's answers the one that makes you pick between two archetypes?

Good narrative and broad player choice in narrative are largely opposing goals. Roleplaying in games doesn't really work well through dialogue, and works much better through player action.

That's not to say a better mixture is impossible, but virtually no one ever does it and I would rather them do something they can actually do reasonably well than fail horribly and make me spend a bunch of time talking to idiot NPCs that I truly hate.

:eyepop:

What a loving take. Sorry all you've played is late-stage bioware op.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Wondering if it is legal to wear sunglasses in space.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

K8.0 posted:

Hot take : cities and dialogue are the worst parts of every RPG. Bethesda games are popular in large part because they minimize how much time you waste on the parts everyone says they like but actually don't enjoy.

the cities in morrowind kick massive amounts of rear end and you're dumb

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cardboard Fox posted:

Oh, yea? Well I'm going to Role Play this game. :smugdog:

I'm playing the role of "best" so lmao sux 2 be u, not bester

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cardboard Fox posted:

They’re actually “Starglasses” on account of the sun being a minor star in an endless universe

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope there's a cheevo for flying into the sun

Better yet I hope it's like Freelancer and there's a cheevo for bouncing off it

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

K8.0 isn't going far enough with their takes. I would say that playing a role is what is worst about RPGs. And skills or perks. And leveling.

Only thing people really like about RPGs is inventory management, but they don't want to admit it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

K8.0 isn't going far enough with their takes. I would say that playing a role is what is worst about RPGs. And skills or perks. And leveling.

Only thing people really like about RPGs is inventory management, but they don't want to admit it.

Backpack Hero is great.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Backpack Hero is great.

Phhh way to easy. The Jeans Pocket traveler saga is far better if you actually want a challenge.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cardboard Fox posted:

It's in fact compulsory OP

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

what's Todd Howards patreon

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

lobsterminator posted:

Starfield? More like Seinfeld + Garfield!

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
My favourite games reviewer channel brings up Starfield on his ‘Games to Play in September’. He has a review copy, NDA until 31st.

TLDR he reads all these ‘controversies’ online and goes “wow, that’s crazy”… then goes back to playing Starfield all day. Which I take to mean - it’s pretty great.

https://youtu.be/8Dp5oXKE60Y?si=JoNBYwuSnicXBxoK

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Pretty great? Impossible. You can't play a role in it, and the Starfield universe hasn't even had one Stimpire yet. Fool should have waited for Star Citizen.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

quote:

An hour after the publication of this blog, Eurogamer was provided Starfield review code by Bethesda. As stated below, our review will not be completed before embargo - but we can now begin our work to provide you with Eurogamer's judgement of the game.

I wonder if that blog made the difference or if it was something else.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I bet the review copies were NTSC and eurogamer needed a PAL version, which wasn't ready.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Bethesda massively outsells all other RPGs, and they do it with awful writing because no one gives a gently caress about the poo poo writing in RPGs.

do they really?

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best-selling_RPG_games#cite_note-1

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

rkd_ posted:

I wonder if that blog made the difference or if it was something else.

MS probably realized the publicity was getting pretty bad for them. Starfield discussion in a lot of places online became mostly about it.

It's not the first time, Bethesda withheld review copies before (for example with Doom) and got raked over the coals for it, they have a history of playing stupid games with this kind of thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret of Starfield is that it will probably be Bethesda's worst-selling game in a good while not due to anything about its quality or lack thereof but because it's only being released on PC and X-Box while all their other stuff has been aggressively multiplat.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Environmental storytelling is absolutely the worst. So is relying on terminals and audio logs for narration.

This is one of the stupidest gamer takes I've ever seen lol.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ImpAtom posted:

The dark secret of Starfield is that it will probably be Bethesda's worst-selling game in a good while not due to anything about its quality or lack thereof but because it's only being released on PC and X-Box while all their other stuff has been aggressively multiplat.

I think so too, not releasing on Playstation is a huge amount of people missed. If you're not going to release on Playstation or you deliberately omit multiple platforms in favor of just one, you're never gonna get the figures you want. Square was bitching about poor FF16 sales the other week and it was a real 'bruh' moment.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
waiting for the Todd Father to bless us on Thursday

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mutata posted:

This is one of the stupidest gamer takes I've ever seen lol.
Every thread up to the launch for a game is filled with hot takes with the only purpose of being quoted so the people making them can convince themselves that they're funny.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

it's almost time to gently caress space

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

That list is very outdated. It links to numbers claiming Skyrim has sold 30 million units when in June 2023 Bethesda announced the game surpassed 60 million sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

netizen posted:

You get to keep the ship! But apparently you have to get it registered at the space DMV before you can add it to your fleet.

Ugh paperwork, galactic chop shop it is then