Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

leper khan posted:

Sure, but that guy is wrong. :colbert:
:eng101::respek::colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

im not saying it's technically difficult to implement, i'm just saying i've worked on a project where we rolled our own logger and i wanted to run the dude who wrote it over with my car wfhen i realized the logging was bugged.

hey, that's me!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Roadie posted:

And then I look at interviews like these that are just some kind of weird logic puzzle pretending to be programming and I'm like, "why would I even want to work at a place that wants to do that?"

I've unfortunately encountered a real world scenario for writing your own heap allocator, and it was awful. The essential problem was that we were doing high resolution graphics in a 32-bit process on windows, and the library we were calling to decompress > display the image needed a large amount of contiguous virtual address space for the dll to function (and a 32-bit process on windows generally only has 2gb of vas.) The problem is that if you used the ordinary pattern of malloc/free, the heap would get fragmented and the dll wouldn't be able to do its thing and generally radiologists prefer to see the images on their monitors instead of error messages. So we had to write our own custom allocator that would minimize calls to free to avoid heap fragmentation.

Maybe the objection to the constraints of that problem is that it seems entirely theoretical, but it's really not at all.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 21, 2023

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Roadie posted:

"why would I even want to work at a place that wants to do that?"

Currency is my current motivation for taking literally whatever I can right now.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I'm looking to leave the position I've been in for the last 10 years and need to update my knowledge on the job market. My current title has been DevOps Mgr for a while, but my skills don't seem to fit the cloud heavy jobs I'm seeing on LinkedIn and other job sites under that job title. I've been working for a small company, managing a half dozen developers. I interact with customers and management to determine product direction, manage the release cycle, do some server and network admin tasks, and cover higher tier support issues with customers, but not a programmer. Kind of a jack of all trades in IT with management and ownership experience. Any advice on what kind of niche I've worked myself into?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sounds an awful lot like what I'm doing but for web instead of DevOps. I don't think that you're in a niche, that's a pretty solid skill set for an engineering manager.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

I guess I need to look at jobs with a wider range of titles. Every 'DevOps Mgr' job wants extensive Azure cloud migration experience or something similar.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I interact with customers and management to determine product direction, manage the release cycle, do some server and network admin tasks, and cover higher tier support issues with customers, but not a programmer. Kind of a jack of all trades in IT with management and ownership experience. Any advice on what kind of niche I've worked myself into?

That's a product manager, or technical product manager. You work in product. Who happens to have some direct reports on the devops team

And yeah if you use the phrase "devops" on your resume in TYOOL 2023 they're going to expect you have experience with at least two cloud providers

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I'm currently interviewing around, and for whatever reason, I'm doing great on some interview questions, but I am not doing great on talking about the project(s) I've been working on the past two years. I worked at a government contractor on mostly one section of a large app. When someone asks me something about what I did, what exactly are they looking for? What is a good answer to "describe one of the projects you worked on recently" or "describe an average day for you at your company"? What do they want to hear my say about the project, and what my day to day was like?

Also "describe a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker" I literally never had one at my previous job, it was a slow government contractor. Everyone was super chill. I'm a full stack dev who work everywhere on the app, can you guys help me make something up for this one.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

it can be literally anything like having slightly different opinions on how to do a feature or whatever and describing how you talked it out and came to a compromise or w/e

all people want to hear is that you know how to actually disagree with someone without exploding into a ball of drama

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
For a project, pick something where you encountered some problem and overcame it. It could be something that had a hairy technical issue, a hard deployment issue, large scale project planning. Whatever. As long as you can dive into what made the project intellectually interesting for you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cereal eater posted:

I'm currently interviewing around, and for whatever reason, I'm doing great on some interview questions, but I am not doing great on talking about the project(s) I've been working on the past two years. I worked at a government contractor on mostly one section of a large app. When someone asks me something about what I did, what exactly are they looking for? What is a good answer to "describe one of the projects you worked on recently" or "describe an average day for you at your company"? What do they want to hear my say about the project, and what my day to day was like?

This is your cue to tell them your Hollywood version of how you're super developer, how you absorb product requirements, see through the BS, cut red tape to meet deadlines and ask the right questions so features work as expected, and how you once worked until almost 7pm on a Tuesday through the night to fix that one show stopper bug before it went live. ideally this is rehearsed, flows well and tells a coherent story. They have to run you past their boss and they don't want to look like they picked a dud

I agree that it probably is/was a cool, chill job, but what they want to hear if you're not sleepy joe who likes chill government contractor jobs and doesn't work at the pace of a typical government contractor. They want to know you're... Not a cringey "code ninja", but uh, fully checked in and ready for more engaging work you can make an impact in

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
They might also be looking for stuff like "I personally brought down costs by xxxxx money and designed the feature that increased revenue by xxxxx money".

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

cereal eater posted:

What your day to day looks like is vastly different from job to job. On a given day I can spend anywhere from 0 to 8 hours working on code, and handling all sorts of other problems in between. Others have a very structured job where you have a pretty orderly input of tasks that you work through and there's not much other than periodic meetings/etc to break that up, and neither way is right, but it's good to get a feel for what your work setup is.

As far as project goes, I would want to hear about a high level overview of what the app does; an interviewer should never expect you to divulge company secrets or even codenames, but saying something like "I worked on the billing management section of an application used by government contractors to log work orders' would be a pretty good summary and help me understand what your deal is. Big tech companies might expect you to be more specialized (because they tend to be), but if they press it's fine to say 'oh our team isn't very specialized so I worked on basically all parts of X app'.

Others have mentioned this too, but the point is you should be able to talk about your project in a way that makes it sound interesting and like you were involved. One big thing interviewers are trying to suss out is how much work you did on any given resume item, given that people pad resumes relentlessly. I want to know this not only because I'm trying to paint a mental picture of your actual resume, but also because I'm not interested in focusing on stuff you didn't work deeply on. As long as you aren't blatantly lying, most people are going to forgive resume padding...but if your resume says 'Worked on billing system for app' and it turns out you just contributed 8 lines of code once, I'm not going to enjoy wasting my time asking you more about it - at best that's going to be just less time for you to convince me you're a good hire and at worst it reflects poorly on you.

Related fun fact/example: I interviewed a guy who had a line item for 'Lowered Cloud costs while retaining high availability' and once we pressed into that, the answer was actually "Well, we were going to setup two ec2 instances for our development environment and I convinced them to setup one" - there was no other actual improvement. While that technically is not a lie, it wasn't a point in that person's favor either.

cereal eater posted:

Also "describe a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker" I literally never had one at my previous job, it was a slow government contractor. Everyone was super chill. I'm a full stack dev who work everywhere on the app, can you guys help me make something up for this one.

FWIW: "Tell me about a time you had a disagreement" doesn't have to mean 'that time Dave was being an rear end in a top hat', it can simply be a situation where you and someone else had differing ideas of how to solve a problem, even if everyone is being very good-natured about it.

One of my go-to stories about that is to tell two quick examples: One was a coworker I had who had a tendency to get very narrowly focused on details and lose the greater picture, and a project I had where I had to help keep him informed on the bigger topics. The other is a time I disagreed with a coworker about an implementation, and to resolve it, we did a deep dive into the issue, and I changed my mind and backed his point of view after we walked through the details.

thotsky posted:

They might also be looking for stuff like "I personally brought down costs by xxxxx money and designed the feature that increased revenue by xxxxx money".

Also yes this poo poo is a gold mine in interviews. (And promo docs, and whatever). Makes it nice and easy to justify you to management.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 24, 2023

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

That's a product manager, or technical product manager. You work in product. Who happens to have some direct reports on the devops team

And yeah if you use the phrase "devops" on your resume in TYOOL 2023 they're going to expect you have experience with at least two cloud providers

Ah, that's it. I already see better matches for my skillset using those terms on Linkdin. Thanks!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Maybe the objection to the constraints of that problem is that it seems entirely theoretical, but it's really not at all.

I was working on a graphics driver once (edit: come to think of it this has come up twice in my career) and, well, yes, there are times you will in fact legit need to write a heap allocator (for textures in VRAM in this case). I admit this is a niche case but if you're I dunno applying to work at Google and you might end up doing low-level Android stuff at some point or something it's possible.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Another interview thing I thought about :

If we assume your interviewer is at least a typically reasonable person, they want to hire for the position and therefore want you to show them that you're a great fit. This sort of sounds like weird car salesman tactics, but I'd say the majority of interviews you show up to as an interviewee are a discussion where the other person wants you to succeed. The problem is that there's two systems - the screening process people twist their resumes into knots to jump over, and then the interview, which is sort of at odds with the screening.

The point here is that when I sit down to interview, it's a countdown clock on 'how much evidence can I get that this person is great in the time I have?' - sure, bad interviews might view it as a sort of weird antagonistic relationship, but really you and the interviewer are on the same team, and if your interviewer is a lovely person that's a red flag for the company as a whole.

Ninja edit: Yes obviously there's always some positions that are basically fake hiring where they have a person picked out and they're just filling out paperwork, but I'd argue that even in those cases you might be able to swing something if the company is flexible. But also there's nothing you can do to detect those ahead of time or even during the interview, so it's not really worth worrying about other than to feel better when you get ghosted.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

cereal eater posted:

When someone asks me something about what I did, what exactly are they looking for? What is a good answer to "describe one of the projects you worked on recently" or "describe an average day for you at your company"? What do they want to hear my say about the project, and what my day to day was like?

They want to know what you do aside from directly writing code.

Code reviews for colleagues, working with the PO on planning upcoming features, working directly with designers, grooming the backlog, scoping / breaking down tasks, helping juniors, preparing presentations or presenting to stakeholders, looking after the CI system, requirements gathering, regulatory compliance, hands on with any databases or infrastructure…

Which ones matter more to them is per team, but they want an idea of what your job and experience actually involves.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Does anyone not do code reviews, consultation for colleagues (why limit yourself to juniors), backlog handling etc etc etc?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Xarn posted:

Does anyone not do code reviews, consultation for colleagues (why limit yourself to juniors), backlog handling etc etc etc?

Lots of teams have dysfunctional setups; my team basically has no backlog handling process at all.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Does occasionally going "yep that's the backlog" and never touching anything in it count as backlog handling?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

Lots of teams have dysfunctional setups; my team basically has no backlog handling process at all.

One company had a team dedicated to being dysfunctional and fixing tech debt thrown over the fence and would just patch it without any review from the SME, and would pick what broken toys they felt like working on that week

Getting assigned to that team was like a label that said "we don't want you working on the monolith, but you're slightly too useful to lay off"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xarn posted:

I was once on a weird tiered team where it was me and the TL working on the Windows side of a Xamarin project and another larger team working on the MacOS side. The Mac people absolutely refused to address any change requests, so eventually I stopped making them. My TL was also a big believer in doing whatever the gently caress he wanted and prohibited me from reviewing his PRs (I think he just merged them himself immediately). He also would randomly make commits to my branches without telling me and would blame my tooling if there was a merge conflict.

The backlog was handled by a hilariously bloated department of PMs and POs. I think they had dedicated scrum masters on top of all that.

For some reason the project didn't go very well.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Xarn posted:

On the interviewer side, it's something to check off because you don't want to make assumptions about what folks did. On the interviewee side it can be a place to add something like "I was the expert in X so I got pulled into reviews the involved it."

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

One company had a team dedicated to being dysfunctional and fixing tech debt thrown over the fence and would just patch it without any review from the SME, and would pick what broken toys they felt like working on that week

Getting assigned to that team was like a label that said "we don't want you working on the monolith, but you're slightly too useful to lay off"

Not gonna lie, there's a certain gremlin in my brain that would love that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

Not gonna lie, there's a certain gremlin in my brain that would love that.

Sitting in a meeting with that group was like walking into the basement set of "the it crowd"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Plorkyeran posted:

Does occasionally going "yep that's the backlog" and never touching anything in it count as backlog handling?

You can also say "yep, we fixed that last quarter" and close an item (and all of its duplicates) :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This exchange has me believing more strongly in the power of the "won't fix" label and just closing the ticket

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hadlock posted:

This exchange has me believing more strongly in the power of the "won't fix" label and just closing the ticket

it's therapeutic

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

Wait, you mean there's something else you can do instead?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

you can quietly assign it to a coworker

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Assign it back to product with the comment "needs acceptance criteria"

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Do any of you receive unsolicited e-mails from students or junior engineers that are asking for a job? I have seen a big uptick in the number of these that I am receiving over the last six months via LinkedIn, my work mail, and even my personal mail. I get 2-3 new ones each day now. I say "new ones" because some of these kids send follow-up mails when I don't respond, so some days I get a few extra. Some mention specific job reqs that they want me to refer them for, but most are general "I'm interested in A, B, C and really want to work there" where "A, B, C" are often unrelated to the work that I do. And these aren't just generic random mass mailings, either. These people often mention previous projects and research of mine in their mails.

My work e-mail isn't published anywhere, so I guess they are guessing my company's mail address pattern and going from there? I used to let those mails sit there in my inbox for a week or so because I felt guilty about ignoring someone, but these days I just tag them as junk in Outlook and delete them as soon as they come in.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

hendersa posted:

Do any of you receive unsolicited e-mails from students or junior engineers that are asking for a job? I have seen a big uptick in the number of these that I am receiving over the last six months via LinkedIn, my work mail, and even my personal mail. I get 2-3 new ones each day now. I say "new ones" because some of these kids send follow-up mails when I don't respond, so some days I get a few extra. Some mention specific job reqs that they want me to refer them for, but most are general "I'm interested in A, B, C and really want to work there" where "A, B, C" are often unrelated to the work that I do. And these aren't just generic random mass mailings, either. These people often mention previous projects and research of mine in their mails.

My work e-mail isn't published anywhere, so I guess they are guessing my company's mail address pattern and going from there? I used to let those mails sit there in my inbox for a week or so because I felt guilty about ignoring someone, but these days I just tag them as junk in Outlook and delete them as soon as they come in.

The tech layoffs have been extremely hard on early career people who need to compete with mid-career people for openings. I'd ask your recruiting team if they need more leads, and forward them with no further expectation if so. IIRC you're at Nvidia, so I kind of expect they aren't hurting for inbound applications.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Almost noone is hiring for less than L5 right now. If you have tech lead experience someone will at least pick up the phone but you're battling with five other dudes

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is this poo poo gonna go the way of the trades where we don't let any new blood in and then in a few years when we're all old and retiring companies go "wait gently caress how come nobody knows how to do any of this stuff"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't talked to many people under 30 since the beginning of the pandemic but there seems to be a growing concern that people in the 16-25 age bracket grew up with walled gardens like Android/iPhone, Facebook/Instagram etc pane of glass and the devices have gotten so good there's no real reason/drive to root them. The people rooting stuff like the Nintendo DS/3DS/Switch seem to be getting progressively older/graybeardy. The number of gaming PCs/components sold seems to be flat

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't know about that, but I do know that the pandemic severely hurt schooling for some folks. People went from high end internships to nothing. I work in hardware and I interviewed some folks who sent their senior project schematics over and there were obvious flaws because these kids were in remote learning and never got the chance to build the boards.

This year I got some exceptional recent grads in, but trying to hire the year before was depressing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

prom candy posted:

Is this poo poo gonna go the way of the trades where we don't let any new blood in and then in a few years when we're all old and retiring companies go "wait gently caress how come nobody knows how to do any of this stuff"

that happened already for all cobol dev, most scada poo poo, etc etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I was just told that I should expect to have to interview 10+ interns over the next few months and there's two rounds of filtering before candidates make it to me.

The self-taught genius teen hacker does seem to be way less of a thing than it used to be but CS degrees are significantly up and those hopefully mean something.