Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vic posted:

Augh
Ough
Augh
Ough
Augh
Ough
Augh
Ough
Augh
Ough
I'm hit!
*runs away smoldering*

*lights up a cowboy killer Coughing Nails*

Well I guess he should have had a better relationship with his daughter.

*puts on a second pair of shades*

Yeeeeeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Butterwagon posted:

You could try this. It needs the DirectX10 or better to work. Unzip into the Textures folder in your install directory and it should work.

Just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. It still looks like vanilla, but it's full screen and pleasant.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I brought Human Revolution for super cheap on the last Steam sale, and reading through this whole thread made me want to go on a real Deus Ex kick and replay the original, modded. So far I'm leading towards GMDX to make things spicier.

HR's still drat solid; I haven't played it in a long time, so I've forgotten a lot, but the level design really skews toward stealth and alternate routes with plenty of cover for Adam to SWAT his way around. Moreso than DX the original. I'm going stealthy and nonlethal as much as possible but if I'm spotted then lethal force is authorized - not that I haven't been getting into gunfights that I can survive for long in. You're pretty much tissue paper until you get dermal armor.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grimthwacker posted:

I brought Human Revolution for super cheap on the last Steam sale, and reading through this whole thread made me want to go on a real Deus Ex kick and replay the original, modded. So far I'm leading towards GMDX to make things spicier.

HR's still drat solid; I haven't played it in a long time, so I've forgotten a lot, but the level design really skews toward stealth and alternate routes with plenty of cover for Adam to SWAT his way around. Moreso than DX the original. I'm going stealthy and nonlethal as much as possible but if I'm spotted then lethal force is authorized - not that I haven't been getting into gunfights that I can survive for long in. You're pretty much tissue paper until you get dermal armor.

If you like HR, you'll like MD even better. The former forces you into a stealth/cover game mode, at least for the first half, but MD lets you kick down doors with guns blazing if you want. Granted, a stealth approach is often better...

Also, in HR at least half the augs are poop, while in MD they're all good.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Get the armor piercing and silencer upgrades for your pistol and head shot fools from cover.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Going mostly non-lethal in HR only to go full-throttle Wolverine at the pod hotels was great; just make sure you leave the named enemy alive so you can punk him two more times.

The TYM penthouse brawl is also a personal favourite up there with Half-Life’s first ranger fight and the better Jedi Academy levels.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/DXU241/status/1687042570789249024

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Where is the health meter? No wait don’t answer that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
his arm isn't the only thing that grows now

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
JC Double D-enton

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
I always thought it was weird that the melee weapons don't automatically repeat attacks as long as you hold the button down so I changed that. Combined with low-tech skill and combat strength both increasing your attack rate you are basically Gordon Freeman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Txyvo8WMes

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I still love how the simple, kitted-out 10mm pistol is still the Secret Best Weapon in Human Revolution. The only reason I wasn't able to chain headshot a bunch of oblivious guys during the escape from TYM is because one managed to see me in the vent. Still have a tricked-out Combat Rifle for backup against multiple enemies. If there's one thing I remember about this game it's trying to defend Malak while the chopper's crashed, so I'm trying to save as much ammo for the rifle as I can.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 12, 2023

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Reading through this and reminiscing, I visited the Statue of Liberty a few years ago and knew exactly where I was going thanks to Deus Ex, ‘What a game.’

Don’t think I’ve replayed this for a long time, a modern graphic update would be great

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

I messed around with the PS20 a bit last weekend. Making it into a tiny shotgun is fun, but I thought it would be more fun if adding clip mods to it added more barrels, increasing the recoil and reload time. It's a bit silly, but I feel like the PS20 is one of the oddest things left in the game: single use, slow projectile, and not even a one-hit kill sometimes. I'm pretty sure its original purpose was for the cut White House mission. In the source code it's called a "HideAGun" and I'm pretty sure it was intended to be snuck past metal detectors (there's a property called Concealability that isn't used for anything, and one of its variants is CONC_Metal, which makes me think metal detectors were a planned feature).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtuP_4NpuI

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BoonyPC posted:

Reading through this and reminiscing, I visited the Statue of Liberty a few years ago and knew exactly where I was going thanks to Deus Ex, ‘What a game.’

Don’t think I’ve replayed this for a long time, a modern graphic update would be great
When I went the interior was closed but the island felt like my neighbourhood park. I should go back.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

BoonyPC posted:

My experience walking around Wan Chai and "Tonnochi" (Tonnochy) Road has not been the same hahaha

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Butterwagon posted:

I messed around with the PS20 a bit last weekend. Making it into a tiny shotgun is fun, but I thought it would be more fun if adding clip mods to it added more barrels, increasing the recoil and reload time. It's a bit silly, but I feel like the PS20 is one of the oddest things left in the game: single use, slow projectile, and not even a one-hit kill sometimes. I'm pretty sure its original purpose was for the cut White House mission. In the source code it's called a "HideAGun" and I'm pretty sure it was intended to be snuck past metal detectors (there's a property called Concealability that isn't used for anything, and one of its variants is CONC_Metal, which makes me think metal detectors were a planned feature).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtuP_4NpuI

This is a cool project. I can maybe provide a little context for the PS20 - it inherits the plasma rifle's projectile of course, but the plasma rifle projectile was incorrectly modified in the last official patch to use the multiplayer damage values, the check for whether the game is singleplayer or MP was incorrectly formatted. With a fix implemented for this, the PS20 reliably one-shots any human enemy except maybe MJ12 commandos, which makes it a nasty little pocket surprise.

Your work on it is more interesting though, and yeah, given a lot of the names you've uncovered it does sound like it was meant to have more utility as part of some concealed weapons system. That's rad as heck, never knew that.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

aniviron posted:

I can maybe provide a little context for the PS20 - it inherits the plasma rifle's projectile of course, but the plasma rifle projectile was incorrectly modified in the last official patch to use the multiplayer damage values, the check for whether the game is singleplayer or MP was incorrectly formatted. With a fix implemented for this, the PS20 reliably one-shots any human enemy except maybe MJ12 commandos, which makes it a nasty little pocket surprise.

I didn't realize this. Interesting. I'm still not sure there's a real use for it outside of as a gimmick if it's single-use only, unless it's powerful enough to one-shot MIBs and bosses. There aren't many of them in the game and that inventory slot could be used for almost anything else. I'd argue even fire extinguishers are probably more useful than the default PS20 because they can potentially incapacitate more than one enemy, they can extinguish you, and they can be used to bypass some laser alarms.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think they might kill MIBs when patched to the correct/original damage value - iirc it's like a 5x damage boost over what it is when bugged. Might even kill Anna, though I didn't test that - later bosses no though, they have energy shields. It does also have a pretty significant blast on it - it's comparable to a GEP round except not as good against bots and doors. Still, for one slot it has a niche, when I am going hot I pick them up and use them right away, it saves me heavier ordnance that I would have otherwise wasted for a short term one-slot inventory item.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've replayed only Liberty Island so far, but two things that immediately stuck me, one good and one not good.

You can't tell if a dead/unconscious person has been looted before, and if you check you pick them up. Not a big deal, but it's slightly immersion breaking. "Did I check this person?" *lifts up corpse in both hands and shakes it like an box of cereal*

Games like Fallout have trained me to scoop up every single item, and trundle around with my pockets overflowing with everything I see because money is important. But the Diablo-style inventory means that isn't viable, and as far as I remember, there's no 'selling' items except the occasional 'give' like giving Gunther a gun. So they work in concert to make me more considered about what I pick up. It has some small quirks like dozens of BE cells taking up as much space as a knife but it's refreshing.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Magnetic North posted:

You can't tell if a dead/unconscious person has been looted before, and if you check you pick them up. Not a big deal, but it's slightly immersion breaking. "Did I check this person?" *lifts up corpse in both hands and shakes it like an box of cereal*

OK but this is how it works in most games, and unless you've killed/knocked someone out in real life how would you know if it's realistic or not??

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Scholtz posted:

OK but this is how it works in most games, and unless you've killed/knocked someone out in real life how would you know if it's realistic or not??

Well, some games (like the modern 3d fallouts, iirc) have a convenience feature where they tell you if a container is empty / has been looted. It's not realistic, but it is welcome.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The upshot is that looting is less critical than a game like Fallout. You will never be in danger of missing something critical that can only come from a corpse, and you aren't expected or incentivized to steal everything you can and waddle around like a turtle or dump things into a hoard. What you have is what you get.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also, the game is more than 20 years old.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm up to what I can only assume is the Missing Link part of Human Revolution, and it's been pretty bad so far. Please tell me I'll get back all my inventory and upgrades when it's all done.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm up to what I can only assume is the Missing Link part of Human Revolution, and it's been pretty bad so far. Please tell me I'll get back all my inventory and upgrades when it's all done.

yeah they're all waiting for you in a big pile somewhere

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grimthwacker posted:

The DLC? Yeah, it's not terrible but it's def not great either. Just slog through.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
IIRC it's a good chance to respec for the back bit of the game in case there's any augs that didn't work for you. I dislike Missing Link because it reminds me that there isn't much of the game left, just Singapore (fun) and Panchea (okay I guess). There are some missteps but HR is such a good game generally that I feel bummed when my playthroughs are almost over.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Spec into high(est?) arm muscles and the ability to hack turrets to attack enemies. Carrying my friend the turret around Singapore never gets old.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Spec into high(est?) arm muscles and the ability to hack turrets to attack enemies. Carrying my friend the turret around Singapore never gets old.

:hmmyes:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Deus Ex is the best when it's taking place in urban environments. The Villain Base levels in all games were my least favorite.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Vic posted:

Deus Ex is the best when it's taking place in urban environments. The Villain Base levels in all games were my least favorite.
Counterpoint: MJ12 underground base music

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Vic posted:

Agreed, especially when you round a street corner and suddenly bad guys and robots

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also I didn't particularly like the martial law thing in Prague in Mankind Divided, but the fact that it took place in the streets which you had the opportunity to explore and "unlock" made me like it.

I love those Hitman-esque interactions between allowed/forbidden zones and various "factions" like soldiers, mechanics, bums, scientists etc.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Missing Link was some of the longest, most egregious padding I've every seen. On the plus side, the combined ammo and supplies I have now can let me take on a small army. I don't think I've ever been more happy to be done with something in quite a while.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was fine with it as DLC. But the DC forcing it in there without giving you a choice is a real pain.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yet another way in which the original is superior.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Human Revolution didn't hit the philosophical or intellectual highs that the original did, but as an "origin story" it was still really fun. I'm interested to see how they reconcile all the possible endings (short of Adam exploding everyone) in Mankind Divided, but that's a long way away. Before that I want to do a run of the original with GMDX, after a lengthy break.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I realize I wasn't clear in my prior post - I adore DXHR, it blows most games outta the water, even if it didn't singlehandedly change the course of the way games are made like the OG. I meant to say that I think the original release of DXHR is superior to the director's cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Losing the filter really hurt the aesthetic