Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

"Pyro is almost done, will probably get a "feature complete" announcement at Citcon"

Is it finally happening or do we get another hype up and then nothing?

Place your bets

quote:

At present, it has been consumed by 80000usd.🥲

“CitizenCon” is so on the nose it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/6WmYV9Q.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fangrim posted:

Where the problem arises, is through the project itself. We worked tirelessly to deliver on every front - Support, Sales, Marketing, Trailers, Marketing Art, QA, Office Ops, Player Experience, and the lot. The one part that affected the project the most it seems - was the game itself.

There seems to be a tiny little part that they are forgetting to deliver on. The part that, apparently, affected the project the most.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

I moved my home closer to work
:hmmyes:

quote:

my fantastic wife enabled me to move closer to work and she got a different job so I could progress.

quote:

Through a few meetings, I was dismissed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quite.
He may have 7 years of experience, but from this quote alone, I can only conclude that CI¬G is his only experience in games. Not game development — just games. At no point have they shown off any kind of revolutionary tech, much less anything that other developers would want to use. Quite the opposite: at every stage, they have relied on other people's work to make any kind of headway with the project, and every time, as soon as they stopped doing that, the project stalled.

So no, my dear dev friend, they are not very talented. They're just better than you, and that's not saying much.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Also, tech is only really 'revolutionary' for a game if it unlocks gameplay (in the broadest possible sense) that would not be possible otherwise. Finding more complicated ways to do something that has already been achieved, or developing something that doesn't impact the game experience at all is just busywork and feature padding.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Shazback posted:

Also, tech is only really 'revolutionary' for a game if it unlocks gameplay (in the broadest possible sense) that would not be possible otherwise. Finding more complicated ways to do something that has already been achieved, or developing something that doesn't impact the game experience at all is just busywork and feature padding.

No but you see, being inefficient and “high fidelity” will be so disruptive and counter to how everything is done by anyone intelligent that the whole games industry will change their ways and remake everything, but much worse. That's how revolutions truly happen.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Some galaxy brain (in the thread Mirificus got that great message from) noted that SC has revolutionary tech "Camera-relative rendering".

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Buying $1500 office chairs and very expensive desks is a sensible way to spend backer money as it can be recovered partially in the liquidation sale.
The worth of whatever would have been produced by CIG employees hired for the same money would be zero.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Interesting wrinkle that CInG employees are as bamboozled by their made-up-words-for-already-existing-things-but-rebranded-as-"revolutionary-tech" as the backers are.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just jack up the price of the Cutlass, they'll buy it anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Only Kindness posted:

Interesting wrinkle that CInG employees are as bamboozled by their made-up-words-for-already-existing-things-but-rebranded-as-"revolutionary-tech" as the backers are.

If they're hiring pool consists of the already-bamboozled, then it makes a whole lot more sense. Not just that they remain ignorant about reality, but also that nothing is moving forward because when Great Leader says that they are (or gives a reason why they're not), they are already conditioned to believe him.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Pretty sad that that is what someone who was unceremoniously laid off writes after labouring in the CIG mines for 7 years.

How broke brain do you have to be to be on the inside for so long and still think that they're generating "revolutionary" technology. It's laughable.
Not a single tool or system made for Star Citizen is going to be used in any other game, never mind for "generations to come". It does not matter how talented the developers are, they are still working within the constraints and requirements of a madman, there is no room for good ideas to float to the top.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Only Kindness posted:

No one is willing to work for them except flavorade guzzlers and brand new graduates who don't know any better.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
tfw your gaming tech is so advanced that you send your devs to hobo around industry conventions instead of showing it off to attract exposure/talent/money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

tfw your gaming tech is so advanced that you send your devs to hobo around industry conventions instead of showing it off to attract exposure/talent/money.

Well yeah!
Last time Chris showed off his revolutionary tech at a games conference, industry giants such as SEGA and Microprose and LucasArt stole his ideas so fast they ended up implementing it before he had even showed it off (SEGA stole it so fast it was implemented in mass-produced hardware less than a year later).

Never again!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

quote:

Prior to CIG I was a 9 year Customer Experience professional in digital media - I managed the entire pipelines from sales to CX to post-sale support and loved my job.

quote:

After the majority of my time at the company and my unique skillset and experience, I thought I would be valued more than purely my location at the end of my tenure.

Yes, I was offered to move elsewhere and refused.

Oof. Explains why this guy thinks the tech is revolutionary. Sounds like he managed to piss off his bosses with his talk of “shipping the game” and “lowering prices”, and then he got fired for not getting the message and getting moved to somewhere where he wouldn’t go into meeting with these radical ideas. The fact that he still doesn’t understand definitely makes him a prime SC backer target though.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Star Citizer Server Meshing made it to the front page of HackerNews today. The faithful are out in droves and the Gell-Mann Amnesia is palpable.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Shazback posted:

Some galaxy brain (in the thread Mirificus got that great message from) noted that SC has revolutionary tech "Camera-relative rendering".

So... culling?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mellow_ posted:

So... culling?

Yes. But they had already used up the word “culling” in one of their other Jesus techs re-brandings (for bog-standard garbage collection), so of course some new name needs to be invented.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

CeeJee posted:

Buying $1500 office chairs and very expensive desks is a sensible way to spend backer money as it can be recovered partially in the liquidation sale.
The worth of whatever would have been produced by CIG employees hired for the same money would be zero.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right. (My first thought was that it was just more of CIG's cargo-cult "successful game studio" behavior and a large helping of "The Backers Will Never Know.")

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

To be fair, the generations to come could be CIG developers... If money keeps coming in, this grift might end up spanning several generations ;o)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Fangrim posted:

To be fair, the generations to come could be CIG developers... If money keeps coming in, this grift might end up spanning several generations ;o)

:hmmyes: like the father and son who both fought in the same iraq war

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxFYmYAtrhI

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

IAbsolveMyself posted:

In lieu of a desperately needed "Hello" from The Agent....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QEAPjktI9w

Interesting news about the layoffs. It’s hard to tell how widespread they are, but it seems like double digits. It’s not all that surprising though. $600 million dollars seems like an obscene sum of money, but it’s pretty piss poor when stretched out over 11 years for a company the size of CIG, plus the millions that the Robertses are syphoning out of it. Whenever we do get glimpses of their financials, they’re always running up against their “pledges”. It’s not a shock that they had to quickly cost cut after the huge sums they spent on their stupid new office in Manchester.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Fangrim posted:

Edit: His post got removed by mods, but reinstated, as he confirmed his identity via Twitter (self-doxxed his identity).

Lol that really sucks, but this dude is an idiot for drinking the KoolAid to that extent and slaving in the CIG mines for 7 loving years at probably way below the market rate, and thanking them for the honor after he’s sacked. Some people are just born to be rubes. CIG and the games industry in general feeds off of the naivety of super fans like him and squeezes every last bit of money and labor it can get out of them.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

CIG and the games industry in general feeds off of the naivety of super fans like him and squeezes every last bit of money and labor it can get out of them.

You can't deny that CIG is getting exactly what they're paying for with their inexperienced, below-market-value teams of former baristas/QA testers, though. It's no wonder that every year they're making giant, industry-shaking strides like "what if a go-kart track, and maybe it even works?" or "what if we replaced the lovely space station with a bigger shittier space station that runs worse?"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

Interesting news about the layoffs. It’s hard to tell how widespread they are, but it seems like double digits. It’s not all that surprising though. $600 million dollars seems like an obscene sum of money, but it’s pretty piss poor when stretched out over 11 years for a company the size of CIG, plus the millions that the Robertses are syphoning out of it. Whenever we do get glimpses of their financials, they’re always running up against their “pledges”. It’s not a shock that they had to quickly cost cut after the huge sums they spent on their stupid new office in Manchester.

in comparison as I like to do to my own life

the company I work for also has offices in north america, europe, and APAC

they have just announced today that there will be some lay-offs as a result of an organizational restructure - i believe the first and only time they've had to do so in their 50-60 years of operation

the key differences are

-we make products and sell them, turning a profit each quarter

once we went public they hired madly to keep up with the huge growth of the company, and now they are doing the re-org to trim the fat and work smarter with what we have instead of just throwing people at the problem

CIG is doing the opposite, throwing money into the wind that isn't even theirs, buying new fancy offices and all the fittings

i wish the people laid off all the best but come on, the gravy train cannot run forever folks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Money that's not mine is the best kind of money to throw into the wind!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Money that's not mine is the best kind of money to throw into the wind!

Plus, you can give yourself a high-paying job as a money-thrower, and set up a bunch of shell companies downwind of you to catch the money you throw. If you're really smart, you'll even pay yourself a nice bonus for coming up with the groundbreaking concept of throwing money into the wind in the first place!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Guysguysguys, they did it! Star Citizen is preloading on Steam! It's, ohhhh, ignore me.......

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Money may be tight but still only the finest Barista made coffee for Croberts people…

https://twitter.com/galaxt1ka/status/1696808487773233177?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

smellmycheese posted:

Money may be tight but still only the finest Barista made coffee for Croberts people…

https://twitter.com/galaxt1ka/status/1696808487773233177?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Teach the barista to code and they might actually finish part of the game.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

smellmycheese posted:

gives "thirst posting" a whole new meaning

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The real question...does the Frankfurt office have a garage door opener?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Bartender AI research still ongoing?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Man, how many years ago was it that Bartender AI was supposed to be the great game-changer, ushering in a new generation of in-game reactive AI, before it was quietly delivered as "tier 0, only partly implemented until we get <Jesus Tech du jour> working, but I promise on our in-house Dev servers it works great"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Did they announce sentient bartender AI before or after the rise of ChatGPT?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Randalor posted:

Did they announce sentient bartender AI before or after the rise of ChatGPT?

I’m just an AI language model, I can’t help you with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The moment the bartender AI goes live, someone should ask it about the Fourth Stimpire.