Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ammanas posted:

this jpg of a monkey in a flying car is all the technology we need

It's a bored ape you philistine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

A man smarter than me wouldn't go to war tbh.

a real smart man would go to war in the stupidest possible way, but then ask for $5 billion to stop

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

great news for war torn regions of the world! just like in afghanistan and iraq, the anglos are continuing to invest in global south development

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1696276922794131523?s=20

The UK is helping me fix my country!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
the eight most terrifying words in the english language are:

Orange Devil posted:

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Frosted Flake posted:

Ukraine trying to tie their terrorist attacks to the west probably belongs in the "drag NATO in via Russia retaliation" box.

It's pretty grotesque, because Russian escalation of the conflict would cause even more death and destruction within Ukraine than we're already seeing. And the Ukranian government is saying "yes that's the plan, that's what we're aiming for"

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Slavvy posted:

It's a bored ape you philistine

I hated those stupid things not least because so many of the expressions were not what I would call "bored" by any stretch

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's pretty grotesque, because Russian escalation of the conflict would cause even more death and destruction within Ukraine than we're already seeing. And the Ukranian government is saying "yes that's the plan, that's what we're aiming for"

its literally their only hope! complete madness :smith:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

not only this but soon my local supermarkets can fill the giant gaps in produce with Ukrainian goods such as TRAFFICKED CHILD

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
The bleakness of the Western commentariat’s recent output is striking — Ukraine’s counteroffensive has made little progress, they say. Major US news outlets cite intelligence agencies opining that things are “grim” and that hopes are fading that Ukraine can reach its (supposed) objective of Melitopol, more than 50 miles away.

This is simply wrong. Intelligence analysts may look at the map of Southern Ukraine and see distances; military planners will apply the military math and see something very different. They know that to crush the Russian army and strangle the troops in frontline fortifications, they don’t need to advance 50 miles. 10 miles will do it.

Why? Because although it would be great if Ukrainian troops broke through to the shores of the Sea of Azov, they do not have to. Instead, they can achieve a significant operational outcome by bringing Russia’s ground line of communication (GLOC) under their guns.

On or around August 22, Ukraine’s troops liberated the village of Robotyne, some 90km (around 55 miles) from the Sea of Azov, a major accomplishment given the enormous efforts of the Russian invaders to fortify and hold it.

From here, the Ukrainians need to advance by a further 10–15 km (7–10 miles), in order to range their guns on Russia’s east-west transport routes that are critical to the ability of its army and armed forces to fight. If Ukraine can interdict these road and rail links, it’s very hard to see how the Russian army can continue to fight.

This will not be easy, but it’s reasonable to think it will happen. This will be achieved using its indirect capability — first the M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) and the M270 Multiple Launch Rocket Systems (MLRS), whose reach is about 80km-90km, and later its 155 mm artillery with a range of over 40km. These are hugely more capable than Ukraine’s pre-war 152mm Soviet-style artillery that have a range of only 17–20 km.

Russia’s GLOC does not run along the sands of the Azov Sea’s shores but rather inland and, therefore, closer to Ukraine’s advances. The M14 highway running east-west, and largely parallel to the coastline, is about 7km–10km from the shore. Nearby is the broader logistics corridor where the Russians place supply and ammunition dumps, fuel storage, higher-echelon command posts, reserve units, and logistic railheads.

This logistics corridor becomes increasingly narrow for every inch the Ukrainians liberate. Once the Russian assets mentioned above are within Ukrainian MLRS reach, the Russian senior leadership will have an almost impossible choice to make — will they be able to sustain operations west of Melitopol when every aspect of their fighting effort is under fire?

As winter approaches, the logistic situation west of Melitopol is likely to get worse and worse. As occurred on the western bank of the River Dnieper last fall, even Vladimir Putin will be forced to acknowledge reality – he can fight on and risk mass troop surrenders, or pull back. Either way, the so-called land bridge from Russia to Crimea will be snapped.

So Russian commanders will not think they have 90km of space to play with behind their backs. Their only consolation is that the Ukrainians can’t place MLRS artillery at the forward edge of the battle area; these units are extremely valuable and must be used from safer positions 10km–15km behind the frontline.

Operational commanders on both sides will know the math: if the Ukrainian army is 90km from the Sea of Azov, and MLRS has a maximum range of 90km but needs to be placed 10km behind the frontline, then the Ukrainians must advance another 10km southward to cover all the terrain between them and the Sea of Azov.

Ukraine is now closing in on this goal at several spots along the frontline, offering the possibility that its rocket artillery will be able to strike the Russian land bridge from different angles.

Once this happens, there is (forgive the use of this old term) a domino effect. All east-west roads and railroads will be in range, and at this point, Russian private companies will no longer be interested in risking their drivers and $150,000 trucks for a $700 cargo payment from Mariupol to Kherson oblast.

Russia has used civilian haulage contractors for many months now and offers good rates. But the chance of an artillery strike changes the calculation, creating the risk of driver deaths and financial disaster.

A modern private 18-meter truck can carry 15–30 tons of supplies, compared to a Russian Army Kamaz truck, which can carry only a few tons in an unstructured pile on the truck bed. Private companies can, of course, be ordered, nationalized, or otherwise coerced to supply the army, but that carries its own risk of disenchantment or outright anger aimed at the Kremlin.

There are other problems. While Russia’s occupation authorities claim a Crimean population of 2.5 million, the true number on the peninsula is likely closer to 1.5 million.

With Russia’s land bridge disrupted or closed by Ukrainian indirect fire or even its threat, Crimea would be solely supplied by the Kerch Bridge or by sea. At that point, the Kremlin would have to make ugly choices — either the Crimean population will suffer significant shortages during the upcoming winter, or the army will go short. The Kerch Bridge’s capacity, will likely not be enough to supply both the western part of the front and the civilian population.

So, how will Russians in Crimea react? We don’t know, but past Ukrainian attacks have led to an exodus of civilians. That’s hardly a message the Kremlin would welcome.

All of which is ahead of us. In the meantime, everything focuses on those 7-10km advances from Robotyne and other frontline areas. As always, the fighting and the dying will be done by Ukrainians, but the West absolutely must ensure that there are sufficient rocket artillery systems, ammunition, and support to do the job.

Jan Kallberg, Ph.D., LL.M., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the United States Military Academy. He is a non-resident Senior Fellow with the Transatlantic Defense and Security program at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA). Follow him at cyberdefense.com and @Cyberdefensecom.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
just drive the artillery up to the front lines and start shooting, bing bong so simple

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
big shout out to Jan for helping move the goalposts!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
would love to see NATO think tank guys trying to make the attrition math work on using million dollar rockets to try and snipe (?) individual cargo trucks

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

The Ukrainian narrative, that we saw from the articles on their drone strikes in Russian territory, is "Russia's already committed all their resources & cannot escalate further"

Which seems like a hell of a gamble to make when you're barely inching forward and suffering constant infrastructure damage.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Have been for 9 years.

they incorporated military strategy in their terror campaign

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

i suspect that this has to do with delegitimising opposition view points; recall that the reason there was no real debate about joining NATO was that it was very very urgent we can't waste any time the russians could attack at any moment!!! which was of course nonsense. in the wake of this, you need another reason to not have had that public debate. if it turns out that all attitudes to the contrary was foreign - sorry, *bad* foreign - propaganda, then that makes complete sense!

youre probably right, guess i was kind of hoping it was a european thing and not a uniquely dumb swedish thing and i really should stop assuming we're not uniquely dumb, it's a bad reflex

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tatankatonk posted:

would love to see NATO think tank guys trying to make the attrition math work on using million dollar rockets to try and snipe (?) individual cargo trucks

There's no way to make it work because H&I is for tactical fires only, it has never worked (nor been attempted) at an operational or strategic scale.

For all of the "roads of death" throughout history, most supplies got through and most of those roads stayed open - because artillery cannot occupy terrain, only the infantry can. If you want to close a road, you need to get Joe on it.

Which is to say there's no way to get the math to work because it's an impossible problem. 24 hour perfect surveillance dozens of kilometres ahead of the front line, that is supposed to be interdicted by guns firing at max range? That's on the edge of possibility for harassment, though given the enemy's air superiority you're just setting your gunners up to be killed in the counter battery effort, but that's it.

e: Effectively what this is asking if you want to compare resources committed, is for Ukraine to close the Ho Chi Minh trail with a firebase or two's worth of artillery.

ee: I look forward to #AC130s4Ukraine and Operator Culture to go back to SOG guys wearing jeans or whatever.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Aug 29, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

tatankatonk posted:

The bleakness of the Western commentariat’s recent output is striking — Ukraine’s counteroffensive has made little progress, they say. Major US news outlets cite intelligence agencies opining that things are “grim” and that hopes are fading that Ukraine can reach its (supposed) objective of Melitopol, more than 50 miles away.

This is simply wrong. Intelligence analysts may look at the map of Southern Ukraine and see distances; military planners will apply the military math and see something very different. They know that to crush the Russian army and strangle the troops in frontline fortifications, they don’t need to advance 50 miles. 10 miles will do it.

Why? Because although it would be great if Ukrainian troops broke through to the shores of the Sea of Azov, they do not have to. Instead, they can achieve a significant operational outcome by bringing Russia’s ground line of communication (GLOC) under their guns.

I never understand these kinds of "one weird trick to win the war for Ukraine" style arguments.. if bringing the other side's ground line of communication (GLOC) under your guns was something that could force the other side to abandon their positions and run off then Ukraine would have abandoned their positions and ran off by now.. Any time these speculations are brought up it's never mentioned that Russia has a far greater capacity to do the thing that is being advocated than Ukraine possesses.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
as we all know, closing the ho chi mini trail went well. this time we will repeat it but with more expensive missiles/shells that Ukraine doesn’t have ammo for instead of napalm and millions of tons of bombs or whatever. I am a professor of army.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Starsfan posted:

I never understand these kinds of "one weird trick to win the war for Ukraine" style arguments.. if bringing the other side's ground line of communication (GLOC) under your guns was something that could force the other side to abandon their positions and run off then Ukraine would have abandoned their positions and ran off by now.. Any time these speculations are brought up it's never mentioned that Russia has a far greater capacity to do the thing that is being advocated than Ukraine possesses.

the Russians are incompetent and cowardly. Ukraine has elan. it’s actually very simple.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

i think it was someone at the guardian talking about MANPADS as this hitherto unknown super weapon that has finally ended the terror of helicopters once and for all. I imagine it's why they got so amazed at Javalin and NLAW. The idea that there are counters for various military threats seems to fill them with a childlike glee that they don't quite know what to do with. And it all boils down to "Ukraine has guns, if they shoot enough Russians, they will win the war".

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't know how old the average pundit is, but if they were born after, what? 1966? They've only heard war described in terms of weapons and technology, with America inevitably having superior ones.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
If you could completely shatter supply lines just by having some guns in range then Ukraine's would've been destroyed like a year ago.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Russia is evil, so they operate on Death Star logic. It's that simple.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
guess where all the classified information on the Eurofighter got leaked to

https://twitter.com/moidawg/status/1696552726501503241?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/shitpostgate/status/1696563300664856906?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The United States has sent 12 years of Afghanistan money to Ukraine in only one year.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know how old the average pundit is, but if they were born after, what? 1966? They've only heard war described in terms of weapons and technology, with America inevitably having superior ones.

This Russian dude posted earlier is very much not wrong, and basically saying the same poo poo this thread has worked out but in a more crude yet entertaining way.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1678731224955625474

Nonsense posted:

The United States has sent 12 years of Afghanistan money to Ukraine in only one year.

And not a poppy field in sight, shameful.

Wait, is the red on the black-red flag for poppy fields and the black for nazis?

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Aug 29, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

just drive the artillery up to the front lines and start shooting, bing bong so simple

do this in warno all teh time, so my shells get to the enemy a little faster. not literally on the front line but like one treeline behind my main line

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/moidawg/status/1696552726501503241?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

strangely it turns out that the manual is just 730 pages of the phrase "it's poo poo" repeated over and over again

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Nonsense posted:

why do you hate ukrainian agency

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I wonder if Gaijin Entertainment has like a dedicated PR person who's job it is to talk to whatever furious government had their classified material leaked this time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Matrix sent out a little email to users of Command Modern Operations: Professional Edition, which is used as an honest to God training tool and has built in features to punch in classified info into the database, that they make no use of classified info out of the box:

The Command DB has had a number of stewards over the years, each of whom left a distinct mark on it. The steadily ripening fruit of their collective labor can be seen just by looking through today’s databases. Though we often collectively refer to “the DB”, Command actually has two separate databases: the “Cold War DB,” or “CWDB,” which covers the years 1945 to 1980; and “DB3000”, for everything after. Combined, the DBs include platforms of today, tomorrow, and yesterday, as well as also modeling some hypothetical platforms ranging from likely to ludicrous.

DB3000 CWDB
Aircraft 6,645 4,630
Ships 4,351 2,983
Subs 744 573
Facilities 3,827 3,442
Ground Units (New) 432 N/A
Satellites* 162 26

* Each “satellite” entry actually represents an entire constellation, so each will contain specific TLE data for several or even dozens of satellites.
The Ground Units annex was added comparatively recently and represents only a year or so of additions as opposed to the decade spent on the others, hence its lower numbers. However, these additions were specifically chosen to include nearly all mainline American, Soviet/Russian, and Chinese combat vehicles.

On their own, the numbers are impressive, but they become even more so when considering the work that goes into each entry. Each entry contains dozens or even hundreds of individually researched fields. The Command DB is entirely open source, and therefore reliant on original research from the DB team and community contributors. We have no automated web-scraper or third-party source from which to consistently pull information, nor do we settle for single-source data. Everything must be corroborated. Sometimes, team members have even analyzed overhead imagery to confirm dimensions or armaments. Finally, all research is vetted to ensure that leaked classified sources are not used in the DB. Every one of our thousands of entries represents hours of painstaking research work from the DB team – and, increasingly, from our dedicated community members, who spend countless free hours creating Github tickets, bug reports, etc.

The result is no less than one of the world’s foremost open-source global military equipment databases. At professional events, we often challenge visitors to our booth to come up with something not in the DB; few have yet managed it. Regular bi-monthly updates keep the database relevant in a world where new platforms emerge seemingly weekly, as well as ensuring a constant stream of fixes and improvements – and you get all this support free with your license!

For all these flowery words, at the end of the day, the DB v500 release is just that: the latest in a string of releases. There are countless platforms yet to add, there are features still to implement, and there will be bugs to fix. By the time this post is released, DB v501 will have already been released to commercial users for public testing, and the DB team will be hard at work on DB v502. The gears turn; the cycle continues.

But as we mark this moment, we’d like to wholeheartedly thank everyone who has helped Command and its database so far: from every member of the dev team, past and present, whose work is entwined in those thousands of entries; to the eagle-eyed contributors on our forums and Github repos; to every player who opened Command for the first time and asked “gee, what don’t they have in here?” Reaching DB v500 is not merely a testament to the toils of today’s DB team and their proud predecessors, but rather a reflection of years of sustained support by the entire dev team and our valued community.

With this update also comes the latest version of the database editor. The database editor allows professional clients to plug in custom values for units on the user side. This allows users to model proprietary or classified hardware specifications without the need to share information with outside sources.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Oh I saw some Youtuber simulate Shahed drone swarms with that game.

Al-Saqr posted:

hell yeah

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nonsense posted:

surely none of this weaponry or money or training given to openly right wing and white supremacist fighters will backfire in the coming years

oh wow you're all refugees now do you need a home in michigan

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

tatankatonk posted:

This is simply wrong. Intelligence analysts may look at the map of Southern Ukraine and see distances; military planners will apply the military math and see something very different.
They know that to crush the Russian army and strangle the troops in frontline fortifications, they don’t need to advance 50 miles. 10 miles will do it.

[...]

Jan Kallberg, Ph.D., LL.M., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the United States Military Academy. He is a non-resident Senior Fellow with the Transatlantic Defense and Security program at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA). Follow him at cyberdefense.com and @Cyberdefensecom.

lmao

even The New Yorker is rolling out a RAND Corp creep to say hey maybe stopping the war isnt a bad idea??

http://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1696526409416736818

also this part is p funny

The New Yorker posted:

Earlier this year, Charap presented his position on the war at a security conference in the Estonian capital of Tallinn. During a hostile question-and-answer session, Edward Lucas, a former Economist editor, accused Charap of “Westsplaining,” and James Sherr, of the famed international think tank Chatham House, asked how he could be so sure Ukraine wouldn’t win the war outright. But the toughest question came from the Ukrainian activist Olena Halushka. “You are speaking a lot about the cost of fighting, the line of fighting here and there,” she said, in a strong but clear accent. “But what is your analytical perspective on the cost of occupation? Because if you take a look at what is happening, at all of the de-occupied territories, the patterns there are very similar. There are big mass graves, torture chambers, filtration camps, mass deportations—including the deportations of kids.” When Halushka concluded her remarks and sat down, the audience applauded.

Charap answered the other questions he’d been asked, but avoided responding directly to this one. When prodded by Halushka and the moderator, he said, “I don’t know exactly how to answer that question, except to say that of course I recognize there are horrible war crimes being committed under areas under Russian occupation. And it’s ultimately for the Ukrainian government to decide which is worse—the casualties that could occur as a result of the continued fighting,” or the brutality of the continued Russian occupation of Ukrainian land. Charap seemed uncharacteristically flustered. “I mean, I don’t know quite more what more to say to answer the question,” he said again.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

And that's exactly why the genocide accusations are used.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

and sets up a very thorny issue for diplomacy, because how in the hell it becomes amenable to have diplomacy with someone wanting your extermination?

it's annihilationist either way: settling for peace means absolute betrayal (and full on turbofascist freakshow, self-destruction) or protracting further and further until the state collapses itself in whatever total victory is trying to pursue

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankies say the war is going badly, but I think its been a rousing sucess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

R. Mute posted:

Jim'll fix it!