Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Vitamean posted:

I'd say wiping in fixed party floors in deep dungeon is way more punishing than losing a little exp in eureka.

also gotta say, love getting these old 24 mans back in rotation cause even if it did take 40 minutes that paradigm's reach was incredibly fun.

stormblood and onward alliance raids are a refreshing change of pace, but heavensward is miserable because all of the "you just have to know" bits seem way less intuitive for the newer players to pick up, and come at you a lot more frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Olympus posted:

stormblood and onward alliance raids are a refreshing change of pace, but heavensward is miserable because all of the "you just have to know" bits seem way less intuitive for the newer players to pick up, and come at you a lot more frequently.

Yeah, standardizing tells has really helped the readability of those fights. In WoD the other day I noticed a lot of folks scattering for Ulululation and was trying to explain it. "For that pulsing ball in the fight we just did you need to stand on top of other people with it. That comes up a few other times but it's a red triangle instead."

At least CoD's chaser laser now has the same marker as other times it shows up. That thing was hilariously lethal when people would just run back into the group, these days it's at leasy followed by "oh THAT'S what it means".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The second boss of Mhach is especially mean to newbies with the "here's puddles to avoid" and then "stand in the puddles or die!" bit. He taught them wrong, as a joke.

And, you know, everything about Ozma being completely incomprehensible to somebody seeing the duty for the first time.

Doomgaze is still the funniest gotcha boss in an alliance raid though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Doomgaze is still the funniest gotcha boss in an alliance raid though.

Doomgaze is way too much fun because it's just kill-move after kill-move.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the red triangles and ozma are interesting examples, because the red triangles are a standard marker now, and ozma's meteor mechanic is close to identical to TG cid's big bubbles, but ozma's version is just more punishing with two meteors per party.

the mega death/zombie thing i think is not particularly more severe than shadowbringers-onward alliance raid gimmicks that You Just Have To Know, but the possibility for two puddles to completely overlap makes it a lot funnier. it also occurred to me that "kill this add first, then the other one because one ability is more dangerous" isn't really a mechanic that happens anymore

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Cy_5pQXIc

The ending bit with the Bahamut seal is pretty cool.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if I had to change something about markers, it'd be making the battle buddy triangle change colors or something when you're safely stacked with at least one other person. or if you wanted to take it further, have it be like a raised hand when you're unsafe, and when you're safe it changes to two hands shaking. kinda goofy but stuff like that - I think one thing the game could be better at is telling you in easier content when you've resolved a mechanic that centers around a marker over your head.

that said, I do think it's okay if alliance dungeon mechanics come at you fast. it's 24 people, odds are pretty good that multiple people in the group can explain mechanics that aren't clear. the only time this isn't true is the gaggle of randos that queue in as soon as possible on patch morning, but those people are the kind of dudes who thrive on that sort of thing. we people.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kheldarn posted:

Preview for the Level 91-100 Culinarian Quests just released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBcmMt6EJ8

i am a big "nailed it" fan and this made my day

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

yo i had no idea

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bobtheconqueror posted:

Doomgaze is way too much fun because it's just kill-move after kill-move.

It's a learning experience for every sprout. No one new expects knockbacks. No one knows to start moving immediately when they get pulled into something bad. Quite a lot of healers make it to level 60 without learning what Esuna does.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Grimace posted:

Ocean fishing trips are fuckin' awesome and I wish I hadn't held off on doing them for so long, despite being a capped Fisher for each expansion. The game needs more laid-back community driven content like this. It's so drat good.

Bruceski posted:

Ocean fishing is not something you can suck at. The bar is as low as "have bait, watch the slot machine go off."
lol lmao

no I mean, I get it. ocean fishing is fantastic for leveling FSH and if that's all you're going for it's fine to basically have no idea what you're doing. but when you start trying to accomplish any of the goals involved in it, it really is Fishing (Savage). even just going for good scores requires pretty serious GP management along with identifying particular target fish based on bite timers (often like, identifying a bite that happened at 3-4 seconds instead of 2-3 seconds for example)

And then if you try to catch the fabled fish, it's just nuts. assuming the fish is available, the spectral current has to be triggered, giving you two minutes to catch particular requirement fish to trigger an intuition buff. For most of the fabled fish, that buff (which is required to have any chance of catching it) lasts 15 freakin seconds. You generally have to know you're catching the right fish in advance, then the moment the buff pops you mash Surface Slap, switch bait, and try to get in 2 or 3 casts without panicking and fat fingering something. And you still usually only have like a 5% chance of the fish biting, maybe less. And also even if they bite they'll escape like 30% of the time.

It's still pretty insane to me that they implemented it, I love it but man it's stressful

BUT, definitely don't worry that you're messing anything up for others if you wanna just go in and press buttons. The nice thing about it is that tryhards can mostly get in their own "private" boats if they really want to (by messing with language settings and time of queue), and even just by being there just throwing out casts and catching whatever, you generally are helping.

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 29, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

goblin week posted:

yo i had no idea

oh based on your previous posts you're almost there, get to the alliance raids before stormblood is out

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Doomgaze goes past unfair into comically dickish levels of “haha, because gently caress you, that’s why”. I say this as a good thing. If it was just one or two of those mechanics, it’d be whatever. But all of them? That’s just hilarious when the raid has a whole gaggle of newbies in it.

The fight itself is actually easy once you know the things, so I love it just for that contrast.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Martman posted:

when you start trying to accomplish any of the goals involved in it, it really is Fishing (Savage). even just going for good scores requires pretty serious GP management along with identifying particular target fish based on bite timers (often like, identifying a bite that happened at 3-4 seconds instead of 2-3 seconds for example)
yeah, it's not that I'm actively worried about messing up anyone else's ocean fishing trip, it's that if I wanted anything from it it'd be World-Class Troller (3m points lifetime) and that requires good scores and that requires all kinds of background research, it's actually super hardcore content masquerading as casual, like island sanctuary on roids

Thundarr posted:

And, you know, everything about Ozma being completely incomprehensible to somebody seeing the duty for the first time.
I did a BLU log run (so 24 BLU, with the attendant above-average DPS) and we still nearly wiped to Ozma. Midfight someone was like "i've never done this before what is going on aaaa" and I just burst out laughing (while positioning a meteor, right after one wave of those stone block adds, and did you know that Ozma will just laser who-the-gently caress-ever it wants? we couldn't actually figure out if it was role-based and we had no blue roles or if it was aggro-based and we kept losing hate when we got lasered). Fight's absolutely insane, the funniest part to me is that Proto Ozma in Eureka doesn't even have to add that much to be a proper Savage-level fight.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I used this macro when doing firmament fishing, but you could modify it with whatever breakpoints there are in boats

code:
/ac "Cast" <me>
/echo Cast Countdown started <wait.5>
/echo 5 <wait.2>
/echo .7 <wait.3>
/echo ..10 <wait.2>
/echo ..12 <wait.4>
/echo ...16 <wait.2>
/echo ...18 <wait.2>
/echo ....20 <wait.3>
/echo ....23 <wait.2>
/echo .....25 <wait.3>
/echo .....28 <wait.4>
/echo ......32 
itll relay how many seconds have passed since you've cast your line, to help you better determine when you should pull back in and try again, or if a fish is worth trying to double/triple on. doesn't work out of the box with Chum, but I've sorta worked around that on my own end.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there is an addon that puts a nice bite time chart on your screen if you are open to that sort of thing

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and did you know that Ozma will just laser who-the-gently caress-ever it wants? we couldn't actually figure out if it was role-based and we had no blue roles or if it was aggro-based and we kept losing hate when we got lasered)

one thing that really illustrates that normal content is designed for people to engage with them as little as possible is how they treat off-tank mechanics. namely, they completely ignore enmity and just hard-target the lower-enmity tank, whether they're second or eighth on the list. fights with twin or triple autos go one step further and not even care if there's a main tank, just choosing all available tanks, and for blue mage that means random autos everywhere

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Preview for the Level 91-100 Culinarian Quests just released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBcmMt6EJ8

Is this the first time they've done marketing stuff with the English voice actors? I wonder if the success of doing stuff with the XVI actors opened the door for stuff like this?

I know that they've done stuff with the Japanese actors before, but voice acting is a bigger thing over there, right?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Awesome! posted:

there is an addon that puts a nice bite time chart on your screen if you are open to that sort of thing

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxGzfIbvDAJjROm7DS4DSjbMMaA1pvA3ju?si=2TDdJJuk4VbEDnz3

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Deathgaze is great because it's the first fight in the raid. Just right out the door and it's murder time

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

one thing that really illustrates that normal content is designed for people to engage with them as little as possible is how they treat off-tank mechanics. namely, they completely ignore enmity and just hard-target the lower-enmity tank, whether they're second or eighth on the list. fights with twin or triple autos go one step further and not even care if there's a main tank, just choosing all available tanks, and for blue mage that means random autos everywhere

And then you step into, say, P9S and find out what happens if the off tank forgot to flip on their tank stance a little after the pull.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Bruceski posted:

The machinima folks (is that the right name for the animation style or is that a brand?) need to get on this.

It's both; the term machinima got coined in the era of people making movies using Quake's demo record feature and editing the camera settings. In a roundabout way it's kind of the origin of GDQ in the original Quake Done Quick videos.

The company Machinima was a lovely brand that trademarked the term, and proceeded to profit off of and exploited the labor of people doing the above while locking people into awful contracts, famously including contracts where people signed over the rights to all video content they made forever in perpetuity.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Deathgaze is cool.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't think I ever had an issue with Deathgaze? Not one matching the stories, at least.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you have never experienced the joy of watching 3/4 of the raid get blown off at once?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I had an early experience of the raid wiping three times before pulling it off because by sheer chance most of us were new to it.

But it was great! The salty people left on the first wipe, and all of the people who joined to replace them were more into it. There was mounting excitement as everyone started to get the mechanics down, then kudos all around when we managed to win.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Awesome! posted:

you have never experienced the joy of watching 3/4 of the raid get blown off at once?

I get my dose of that whenever Shinryu pops up in trials roulette and half a dozen people forget about the immediate tidal wave.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I get my dose of that whenever Shinryu pops up in trials roulette and half a dozen people forget about the immediate tidal wave.

I just keep forgetting what kind of tidal wave it is.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

It's a learning experience for every sprout. No one new expects knockbacks. No one knows to start moving immediately when they get pulled into something bad. Quite a lot of healers make it to level 60 without learning what Esuna does.

I like it because it's kind of a Final Fantasy staple fight. There's usually one boss or mini-boss in there that's just all doom all the time, and it's a remarkably good implementation of that in an MMO. But yeah it's also just hilarious to experience for the first time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kazinsal posted:

that is also a really good one. i used to remind people about that before the ring dropped. then i decided that was boring and both stopped saying anything and also stopped running to it and just use arms length lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm the salty person that leaves dun scaith as soon as i see that hideous orange airship deck

(don't worry, i've only actually done that twice, now i just don't queue for alliance roulette)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yer leavin tomes on the table

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm the salty person that leaves dun scaith as soon as i see that hideous orange airship deck

(don't worry, i've only actually done that twice, now i just don't queue for alliance roulette)

im the guy who joins in progress and gets really sad when i dont get to do that fight

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vitamean posted:

yer leavin tomes on the table

i don't need no stinkin' tomes

(if i do i will just do expert roulette instead)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Deathgaze is a shockingly easy fight when you know what to do. Everything is avoidable (except the Doom I guess). In fact that's the case with every alliance raid. Just do them a few times, watch a video if you still don't get something, and queue without fear

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Even if you know what you're doing you can get killed by a bad ping on the wind gust sections, I got smashed to death against the ice one time and the only thing we could figure is the game thought I was farther away from the ice than I was.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Deathgaze has a hard enrage. More alliance raid bosses should have hard enrages.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Deathgaze has a hard enrage. More alliance raid bosses should have hard enrages.

You'd never see them. More alliance raid bosses should have a bunch of mass kill moves.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hellioning posted:

Unfortunately, having seen it, it's nothing special, he just blasts the whole arena with an instant death attack and you just fall over and the fight resets.

I last saw that in I want to say 2017.