Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

kliras posted:

i think it's fun to hear more normal people who aren't car-brained to talk about cars. sometimes it's nice to hear someone normal like alex (clark) complain about how insane the infotainment system is rather than going on about engine specs

Counterpoint, I don't want computer and tech brains deciding to shove more tech into cars because their audience watched tech influencers talk mostly about how many gadgets the infotainment had in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Shipon posted:

Counterpoint, I don't want computer and tech brains deciding to shove more tech into cars because their audience watched tech influencers talk mostly about how many gadgets the infotainment had in it
iirc, ltt were pretty decent at talking about how much it sucks. otoh, mkbhd probably is a little too excited about stuff like that in general

i think tech savvy people are pretty decent at hating infotainment in cars because they can put their finger on what sucks about it, especially the latency. so much of cars are unfortunately software at this point, and analogue interfaces are becoming extremely rare in ev's

hell, they're putting rgb garbage in high-end german cars too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kliras posted:

lol, got any examples?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rinkles posted:

lol, got any examples?

All Mercedes EQ series cars

Hell every Stellantis eCMP car does, even my own Jeep has silly RGB ambient lighting

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Rinkles posted:

lol, got any examples?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=657kzxnClUg&t=121s

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Volkswagen has had it for a while too

And it owns :colbert:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

kliras posted:

iirc, ltt were pretty decent at talking about how much it sucks. otoh, mkbhd probably is a little too excited about stuff like that in general

i think tech savvy people are pretty decent at hating infotainment in cars because they can put their finger on what sucks about it, especially the latency. so much of cars are unfortunately software at this point, and analogue interfaces are becoming extremely rare in ev's

Yeah I get they can be pretty good at diagnosing a lovely screen versus a latency free experience

Latency shouldn't even be the issue - screens don't belong in cars. I know the mandatory backup camera law made this illegal for new cars but that seems to be one of the biggest mistakes in car design in the past few decades next to the rollover regulations that made all smaller cars impossible to see out of

Maybe this is just me being cranky about cars sure but

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a term for how our (tacky) vision of what’s futuristic ends up actually informing future aesthetics?

Like a reverse retro futurism. Sorta.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Look at the peasants, can't even afford buttons.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Shipon posted:

Yeah I get they can be pretty good at diagnosing a lovely screen versus a latency free experience

Latency shouldn't even be the issue - screens don't belong in cars. I know the mandatory backup camera law made this illegal for new cars but that seems to be one of the biggest mistakes in car design in the past few decades next to the rollover regulations that made all smaller cars impossible to see out of

Maybe this is just me being cranky about cars sure but

the backup camera is actually good

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Vic posted:

Look at the peasants, can't even afford buttons.

This is happening real soon since the only, actual, real reason so many screens in cars is because it's extremely inexpensive from a materials cost and is very easy to make 'look good' with a wow factor at the moment. This is eroding though, and we are already shifting back to "I like the ~feel~ of buttons like my mechanical watch" which will then become a mainstay of $150k+ cars shortly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mercedes has been backlighting their front logos like they're 2008 Apple

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Generic Monk posted:

How much were they offering?

I think it was 55-or 60K* for what was described as "you will be a solo admin and you are expected to have the knowledge of an Enterprise Architect, the drive of a business owner, and Linus/that other dude (Jake?) will shadow IT you at every opportunity." (not a direct quote, but the vibes I got from the job description)

*55-60K for the Metro Vancouver area is basically poverty wages.

The initial thought of "sysadmin for youtube computer man that isn't far from my house" turned sour real quick once I had read the whole job description.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 29, 2023

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

MustardFacial posted:

I think it was 55-or 60K* for what was described as "you will be a solo admin and you are expected to have the knowledge of an Enterprise Architect, the drive of a business owner, and Linus/that other dude (Jake?) will shadow IT you at every opportunity." (not a direct quote, but the vibes I got from the job description)

*55-60K for the Metro Vancouver area is basically poverty wages.

The initial thought of "sysadmin for youtube computer man that isn't far from my house" turned sour real quick once I had read the whole job description.
Don't forget the best part of any typical IT posting:

"Other duties as assigned" (fix my groverhaus)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cenodoxus posted:

Don't forget the best part of any typical IT posting:

"Other duties as assigned" (fix my groverhaus)

It’s both “break my groverhaus in entertaining ways on camera” and “fix it”

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
That wage may be poverty, but you can make up for it by robbing the warehouse blind.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol at 60k for a sysadmin in vancouver area, even surrey/langley.

This is definitely akin to game companies taking advantage of kids fresh out of school who want to work someplace “fun”

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The most frustrating thing about Linus house is that he bought a perfectly good and nice normal house and then proceeded to Groverfy it into the abomination that it is.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

The most frustrating thing about Linus house is that he bought a perfectly good and nice normal house and then proceeded to Groverfy it into the abomination that it is.

He hates the house too (the Tech Things he did to it) but his kids like the RGB

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

That's just what you do when you're a multimillionaire in Vancouver who can't afford one of the actual fancy rich people houses. You ruin a house or entire neighbourhood in Langley.

Some rich folks moved into my dad's neighbourhood (all houses built in the late 70s/early 80s) a few years ago, tore down the 45-year-old totally serviceable two storey 4b/2.5ba house with a nice backyard, and put up an absolute monstrosity of a 6b/6ba that's so badly designed they had to dramatically alter the topmost roof pitch halfway through construction to stay within zoning bylaws. It's ugly as gently caress and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Vic posted:

i would too.

so would all of you don't lie. pretty lights are pretty

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Linus loving up his house with tech bullshit is exactly what I'm here to see.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kazinsal posted:

That's just what you do when you're a multimillionaire in Vancouver who can't afford one of the actual fancy rich people houses. You ruin a house or entire neighbourhood in Langley.

Some rich folks moved into my dad's neighbourhood (all houses built in the late 70s/early 80s) a few years ago, tore down the 45-year-old totally serviceable two storey 4b/2.5ba house with a nice backyard, and put up an absolute monstrosity of a 6b/6ba that's so badly designed they had to dramatically alter the topmost roof pitch halfway through construction to stay within zoning bylaws. It's ugly as gently caress and sticks out like a sore thumb.

The general public's penchant for giant fuckoff houses around here is frankly, ridiculous.

The only part of LInus stupid house that I like is those Sony wireless speakers he picked out. But at $2500, Sony can eat the fattest of dicks.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

i would too.

so would all of you don't lie. pretty lights are pretty

Yeah I bought two multicolor led bulbs for ten bucks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol the Fiesta ST has RGB interior lighting

depending on the model year, your cup holder lights up and also a little accent space above the glovebox

you push a button on the dash to change the color

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol the Fiesta ST has RGB interior lighting

depending on the model year, your cup holder lights up and also a little accent space above the glovebox

you push a button on the dash to change the color

this is what im talkin about

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Aprime/status/1696597619936735568

hmmmmmmmmm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

here we go

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I don't remember this dude, was he primarily a behind the scenes guy?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pest or victim?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't remember this dude, was he primarily a behind the scenes guy?

Per his twitter profile he was an editor. I don't think he ever showed his face on camera. This isn't host-Alex, that guy is named Alex Clark I'm pretty sure.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Heaven knows what kind of internal poo poo storm is raging through that place atm. :catstare:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

power crystals posted:

Per his twitter profile he was an editor. I don't think he ever showed his face on camera. This isn't host-Alex, that guy is named Alex Clark I'm pretty sure.

Oh yeah, I know the Alex Clark you mean, he's the one blond-haired dude. I bought my Fractal Design case based off of him giving it a glowing review in the Short Circuit video he did on it. I just wasn't sure if this guy had been an on-camera guy for LMG as well.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Heaven knows what kind of internal poo poo storm is raging through that place atm. :catstare:

It's pretty telling that this guy announced his decision to quit after Linus' "we'll do better" video, especially when framing it as the result of doing some soul-searching. I'd imagine we're going to probably see some more people announcing their departure in the coming weeks.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 29, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Most likely much needed changes were discussed and then not actioned.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

power crystals posted:

He joined LMG in 2017 apparently

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think he was the subject of the most recent $5000 tech upgrade.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Pest or victim?

Vic posted:

Most likely much needed changes were discussed and then not actioned.

Obviously we don't have enough info to know what exactly went on or is currently going on, but the vibe I'm getting from his message is along the lines of "the ship's starting to take on water, better snag a lifeboat while I can".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

probably lopped every tree on the property down too.

My neighbourhood has a ton of nice trees and old houses and I am super worried about when they start to get sold and torn down for the monster houses built out as far as possible and the rest is paved. It's why I'm looking for a new place bordering protected green space.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

probably lopped every tree on the property down too.

My neighbourhood has a ton of nice trees and old houses and I am super worried about when they start to get sold and torn down for the monster houses built out as far as possible and the rest is paved. It's why I'm looking for a new place bordering protected green space.

Yep. Didn't even put up any bushes or anything. And the owner somehow got google to take down street view of the cul-de-sac so no one could witness his architectural abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

SpartanIvy posted:

If I remember right, the house had sat empty for a year or more, and was in the middle of a major remodel/renovation, then all work just stopped and the house went on the market. Most of the finish flooring wasn't there, a few rooms weren't finished or in a half-but-usable state. It also had some really tacky (by modern standards) treatments in a few rooms that really did need to go (their office was the worse). The biggest projects he did was the floor heating in the basement, and the pool, which the contractor left him high and dry (no pun intended), until he got to the point where he was threatening legal action. And no, it wasn't due to the water cooling pipes. That added a negligible cost to pouring the concrete for the pool.

Vic posted:

I thought it was that he regrets how fast he went on the home automation, rather than waiting for items to actually mature. Example, all the switches he got, had the issue with the firmware (that the company addressed eventually), and now there's a newer better switch from someone that just works, but was a more advanced install. So he was either going to go back to just regular dumb switches, or pull everything out and use this new one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think he was the subject of the most recent $5000 tech upgrade.
A quick look, his upgrade video was posted 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 29, 2023