Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyway I need to setup a new machine and maybe more. What’s a good place to bulk buy win11 pro keys? Will win10 pro keys work for 11?

I believe a $5 Windows 7 key can be used to activate Windows 10 Pro and/or Windows 11 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shaocaholica posted:

Google drive for desktop is not encrypted locally right? I think that was the only reason we went with pro as all the machines will be using google drive for desktop and they don’t want some rando laptop thief to get at their google drive docs. Does one drive store local data as plaintext?

Yes, gdrive, onedrive, dropbox, etc have no built-in encryption. The local copies of everything are visible on the drive if a PC is lost or stolen.

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyway I need to setup a new machine and maybe more. What’s a good place to bulk buy win11 pro keys? Will win10 pro keys work for 11?

Are these new machines for the small business?

If so, contra to the people saying buy cheap greymarket keys from the SA mart, get the small business to spend the money on real copies of 11 Pro. OEM keys are $160, it's not that much money.

The keys sold by the SA mart goons are not illegal, but they are not compliant with the license and if the business is ever audited will be a problem. There will be fines. And you don't want liability if you're the IT guy. Yes it's unlikely that a 6 person company gets a BSA audit, but it's not a risk worth taking. Any company that can afford employees can afford to do it right.

(Also to everyone else, keep this in the back of your mind when telling other goons to buy the cheap keys. They are fine for personal use, nothing bad will ever happen. They are not fine for business use.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On the cheapo laptop I have now the MS direct online upgrade for pro in settings says $99. Is that compliant?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shaocaholica posted:

On the cheapo laptop I have now the MS direct online upgrade for pro in settings says $99. Is that compliant?

Sure, anything direct from microsoft is good. If you're working with laptops and PCs that already have a Home license that upgrade will be cheaper than a new key, but you won't be able to move it to a new PC.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Klyith posted:

Sure, anything direct from microsoft is good. If you're working with laptops and PCs that already have a Home license that upgrade will be cheaper than a new key, but you won't be able to move it to a new PC.

Ah ok. That might be fine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If a local admin account installs chrome for all users and then never logs back in, will standard limited users get chrome updates? Same question for office 365. Can installed software auto update without the local admin doing a thing?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh just found out that there’s no local group policy editor in Home so would also need Pro to fine tune restricted local accounts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shaocaholica posted:

If a local admin account installs chrome for all users and then never logs back in, will standard limited users get chrome updates? Same question for office 365. Can installed software auto update without the local admin doing a thing?

Chrome updates through a registered service (I think Drive, One VPN and Nearby Share do too?) so that should be fine. Not actually sure about Office!

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/updates/overview-update-process-microsoft-365-apps

It doesn't suggest that admin rights are needed?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks.

Also is it ok to install software from a limited user account and just putting in admin credentials when prompted? As opposed to logging out and doing it under the local admin account.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Absolutely fine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks.

Also is it ok to install software from a limited user account and just putting in admin credentials when prompted? As opposed to logging out and doing it under the local admin account.
Yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay i need some second hand help, my mom just bought a laptop from costco and she's telling me that all her stuff is being saved to onedrive. like, she's trying to move stuff from a backup hd onto her desktop but the desktop is connected to onedrive so everything sh'es copying is getting uploaded there instead? this was not a thing when i upgraded on my pc so does anyone know what she's talking about and how to disable it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

By default if you're signed in to OneDrive anything in Documents, Desktop, Photos, Videos is synced. This is a good thing. In thie case I'd just make a folder in C:\ somwhere and make a shortcut on the desktop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you're logged into a MS account and OneDrive on the PC is configured to "back up" your PC then it redirects the folders it's keeping in sync, like Desktop, Documents, Pictures. Anything that goes into a backed up folder gets synced to OneDrive. Comes in handy at work when someone has a desktop and a laptop, or needs to switch to a new PC. Once they log in to OneDrive and enable that feature it all syncs back down.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hoping the thread can help me:

I'll be getting a new laptop soon with Win 11 Pro. I have a home PC that I use my MS account for (I think I was tricked into setting it up this way, but it doesn't seem to cause issues for me), but I'm seeing a LOT of videos on YT about activating Win 11 with a local account instead. I don't use OneDrive, but I do have an Office 2019 key tied to my home PC that I'd like to use on my new laptop as well, so I might need to use my MS account for this.

Basically should I activate Win 11 Pro on my laptop with my MS account or go through the steps for a local one?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

I'll be getting a new laptop soon with Win 11 Pro. I have a home PC that I use my MS account for (I think I was tricked into setting it up this way, but it doesn't seem to cause issues for me), but I'm seeing a LOT of videos on YT about activating Win 11 with a local account instead. I don't use OneDrive, but I do have an Office 2019 key tied to my home PC that I'd like to use on my new laptop as well, so I might need to use my MS account for this.

Basically should I activate Win 11 Pro on my laptop with my MS account or go through the steps for a local one?

There isn't really much in the way of cons to setting it up with an MS account if you already have one, so I'd say just go ahead and use the MS account.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Kragger99 posted:

This really depends.

People that are deeply annoyed by the drawbacks of an MS account and/or find their Cloud Services™ to be bad will tell you it's the sign of the end times and should be avoid. People that don't care - well, they don't care and probably will tell you it's not a big deal.

I will be in the former group. I want nothing of my life attached to any service that I don't control the hardware to. I want my computer to function unconditionally without the Internet and I would like to keep my online accounts and auth completely separate from my operating system proper. I want nothing to do with OneDrive or Office 365 or any other '''''service''''' Microsoft offers. I get really itchy just thinking about trying to configure a computer without Group Policy...

This is question that comes up at least somewhat regularly, and I think what sucks a lot for the people asking the question is that no one is actually just spelling out the trade-offs that are happening. Everyone is just offering their opinion, not explaining what you are actually working off of. I'm no better then the average here. So in an effort to do better:

If you have an MS account, benefits include:

• Accessing MS Services without authing in separately. This includes OneDrive, the MS Store, Feedback Hub, etc.
• Some settings will sync across multiple devices and follow your MS Account

Disadvantages include:

• Privacy / etc. etc. etc.
• Operating without an Internet connection is rough. Just signing in is a hassle if you didn't setup a PIN before hand. OneDrive folders can behave oddly.
• Service failures can result in obnoxious behavior. Settings / Files failing to sync can manifest oddly. Signing in can just take extra time for ??? reasons.
• Local Account recovery is basically off the table. Local OS troubleshooting can become more difficult
• Exposure to dark patterns and bullshit - Go past your 5GB of free OneDrive Storage? MS will gladly serve you an ad reminding you to buy more! Otherwise, you might want to be more careful with what directories you put stuff in.

----

An MS account introduces some nice MS-focused features and if you find yourself spending a lot of time on MS Services, then maybe it's trade-offs are worth it. But the benefits kind of end there. The calculus I do here is that an MS account introduces way more annoyances and edge-case problems then it solves and I'm giving up some amount of control of my OS for convenience (specifically, a convenience I have no interest in). Troubleshooting around MS Accounts is a real pain. The actual biggest sell otherwise for an MS account is that OS installation is so laden with dark patterns to try to force you into it that taking the time to avoid it might not be worth it to some people.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This really depends.

People that are deeply annoyed by the drawbacks of an MS account and/or find their Cloud Services™ to be bad will tell you it's the sign of the end times and should be avoid. People that don't care - well, they don't care and probably will tell you it's not a big deal.

I will be in the former group. I want nothing of my life attached to any service that I don't control the hardware to. I want my computer to function unconditionally without the Internet and I would like to keep my online accounts and auth completely separate from my operating system proper. I want nothing to do with OneDrive or Office 365 or any other '''''service''''' Microsoft offers. I get really itchy just thinking about trying to configure a computer without Group Policy...

This is question that comes up at least somewhat regularly, and I think what sucks a lot for the people asking the question is that no one is actually just spelling out the trade-offs that are happening. Everyone is just offering their opinion, not explaining what you are actually working off of. I'm no better then the average here. So in an effort to do better:

If you have an MS account, benefits include:

• Accessing MS Services without authing in separately. This includes OneDrive, the MS Store, Feedback Hub, etc.
• Some settings will sync across multiple devices and follow your MS Account

Disadvantages include:

• Privacy / etc. etc. etc.
• Operating without an Internet connection is rough. Just signing in is a hassle if you didn't setup a PIN before hand. OneDrive folders can behave oddly.
• Service failures can result in obnoxious behavior. Settings / Files failing to sync can manifest oddly. Signing in can just take extra time for ??? reasons.
• Local Account recovery is basically off the table. Local OS troubleshooting can become more difficult
• Exposure to dark patterns and bullshit - Go past your 5GB of free OneDrive Storage? MS will gladly serve you an ad reminding you to buy more! Otherwise, you might want to be more careful with what directories you put stuff in.

----

An MS account introduces some nice MS-focused features and if you find yourself spending a lot of time on MS Services, then maybe it's trade-offs are worth it. But the benefits kind of end there. The calculus I do here is that an MS account introduces way more annoyances and edge-case problems then it solves and I'm giving up some amount of control of my OS for convenience (specifically, a convenience I have no interest in). Troubleshooting around MS Accounts is a real pain. The actual biggest sell otherwise for an MS account is that OS installation is so laden with dark patterns to try to force you into it that taking the time to avoid it might not be worth it to some people.

Thank you, this is what I was more or less looking for. I don't use MS services much at all, other than a couple Office apps. The benefits seemed to be heavily outweighed by the drawbacks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you've got a windows license that's based on upgrading from a windows 7 or 8 key, you can transfer that to a new device through an ms account. Not super compelling as long as you can probably still just do a fresh 10 or 11 install using that key if you've still got it anyway or acquire a new one of those for a modest price.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

As someone who has had to recently deal with some computer issues and my main ssd (loving Samsung) randomly dying resulting in me bouncing between my laptop, a temp computer and replacement computer - having my documents, edge bookmarks, bitlocker recovery keys, etc automatically synced to the cloud was pretty much seamless. The only thing I would suggest is right clicking your "documents" folder and check the "always keep on this device" box (it is surprisingly annoying opening a game and waiting for files to be synced back from the cloud before being able to play the game).

Not having to worry about manual backups and syncing between devices for the things onedrive takes care of automatically is useful.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 29, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Wasn't the free storage you got more like 15GB in the past? I then managed to double that through free bonuses because I was using a Windows phone and for using the account to log into a computer and things like that. You know, actual motivators to use it.

5GB is so goddamn miserable unless, yeah, just a few documents, save games and bitlocker keys.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tornhelm posted:

Not having to worry about manual backups and syncing between devices for the things onedrive takes care of automatically is useful.

This might be a bit old school of me, but, "not worrying about manual backups," means, "not worrying because I have at least three manual backups I am in absolute control over."

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Wasn't the free storage you got more like 15GB in the past? I then managed to double that through free bonuses because I was using a Windows phone and for using the account to log into a computer and things like that. You know, actual motivators to use it.

5GB is so goddamn miserable unless, yeah, just a few documents, save games and bitlocker keys.

There used to be a few ways to get more storage, but none of it was that substantial, and there were a few deals that were temporary - you could put 10GB on the drive, then a year later they would hold that poo poo hostage for $70 / year.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There used to be a few ways to get more storage, but none of it was that substantial, and there were a few deals that were temporary - you could put 10GB on the drive, then a year later they would hold that poo poo hostage for $70 / year.
I mean I'm reasoning backwards from still having 30GB available right now without ever paying them a cent. Might have been called Skydrive at the time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
OneDrive is not a backup, or at least should not be your only backup. No always-active cloud storage without guaranteed rollback should be.

As the most basic and obvious thing, if your PC gets malwared and some ransomware starts encrypting all your poo poo, OneDrive will happily upload the encrypted files overwriting the good ones. (And in a most pessimistic scenario, you don't know it's happening and that gets synced across multiple PCs.)

This applies equally to gdrive, dropbox, etc.

edit: this is for free onedrive

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 30, 2023

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sure, it shouldn't be the only backup, but as the first level of backup it's pretty much perfect considering how seamless and invisible it is. After my ssd died, I didn't have to touch my manual backups (which I keep more in case of malware these days or large things like work related virtual machines) as everything else important was synced back through onedrive.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The automatic storage of Bitlocker recovery keys definitely saved me a lot of hassle when I got a new laptop and pulled the SSD from the old one without really thinking about it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

isndl posted:

The automatic storage of Bitlocker recovery keys definitely saved me a lot of hassle when I got a new laptop and pulled the SSD from the old one without really thinking about it.

Yeah this has been a godsend in my shop, especially because a lot of laptops come with it already enabled

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

OneDrive is not a backup, or at least should not be your only backup. No always-active cloud storage without guaranteed rollback should be.

As the most basic and obvious thing, if your PC gets malwared and some ransomware starts encrypting all your poo poo, OneDrive will happily upload the encrypted files overwriting the good ones. (And in a most pessimistic scenario, you don't know it's happening and that gets synced across multiple PCs.)

This applies equally to gdrive, dropbox, etc.

OneDrive stores versions for 30 days. Recycling bin is 30 days.

Yes, it's not bullet proof, but yes it is way better than the average user is ever going to do, let alone trying to get random Windows end users to do "three manual backups I am in absolute control over," which is just laughably naive advice. [edit: not saying you suggested it]

Sure, it's great if you want to blame people for their problems, but it's not remotely within reach of 99.9999....% of users, and likely the vast majority of "tech" folks as well.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 30, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

isndl posted:

I was going to mention this, but I see you already beat me to it. I've had situations like this come up a couple times, and being able to get the key from my MS account was super handy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Sure, it's great if you want to blame people for their problems, but it's not remotely within reach of 99.9999....% of users, and likely the vast majority of "tech" folks as well.

I just don't buy this.

I worked IT in a college setting from 2004 - 2010 or there abouts, supporting professors who were capital 'B' boomers. They had no interest in computers past what they needed to work with, and that was basically down to Word, Email, and Blackboard (the college's student / faculty portal).

The thing among these people that was pretty common though: They understood backups. Most of them had external hard drives. Most of them understood how to use them. They had a strong incentive to learn - A lot of there work was digital and losing it would have sucked a lot.

People can learn. People can become reasonably literate at computers. Bespoke hardware that you need to *gasp* plug-in via USB is indeed more friction then Cloud Magic™, but it's really not that much more friction and you are empowering users to actually understand their technology and make good decisions.

No one knows how to do a thing with software and hardware without some kind of learning or affordance. A lot of these services have tried to build around this idea that this is that 'not learning' is the status quo, building software that is extremely easy to understand at first glance (or just plain 'magic' in some cases). This has been the market for cellphones since iOS has been a thing. The tradeoffs for that have been extreme though. Software is shipping with fewer features, costing more, and locking people into an increasing number of subscription services and walled gardens that their users have no idea how to leave, even if they wanted to...by design.

In lieu of a 10,000 word philosophical essay on why I think this benefits no one in the end, I'll say this: People can learn if they are asked to. Not being able to know how to use the thing at first glance does not mean the solution is unusable, and I do blame people at least partially for their unwillingness to *try* to engage with computers meaningfully. 'Software as a Magic' is not doing anyone any favors long term.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good luck with that approach. For an answer in the Windows 11 thread, OneDrive is a great solution for the average person.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I have to do a lot of business with 60-year-olds that weren’t professional students for much of their life and ‘don’t do email’

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I might be biased because I am terrible about doing backups myself (I do have backups, but that's mostly in the form of old HDDs that I cloned and replaced with SSDs), but I honestly think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I know very non-techie people who are good about backups, and very techie people who suck at it. I'm lazy about it partly because I know I do have some redundancy, as I have multiple machines running with a lot of duplicated files between them. Or I don't care whether a particular machine is backed up, like my seldom-used Windows laptop.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Hello thread,

My w11 update screen has stopped responding and this persists through reboot and a complete shut-down and boot.

Everything else is working normally. I did "sfc /scannow" too.

Any experiences with this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When you say everything else is working normally, to what are you referring?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

sarr posted:

Hello thread,

My w11 update screen has stopped responding and this persists through reboot and a complete shut-down and boot.

Everything else is working normally. I did "sfc /scannow" too.

Any experiences with this?
you don't have some kind of dns adblocking that might have caught something?

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When you say everything else is working normally, to what are you referring?

Just windows in general and every other settings menu is working normally..

kliras posted:

you don't have some kind of dns adblocking that might have caught something?

No, this is on my laptop and it has been persistent over several different networks (home, hotel and now work)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

sarr posted:

Just windows in general and every other settings menu is working normally..

No, this is on my laptop and it has been persistent over several different networks (home, hotel and now work)

Oh is this update screen running from within Windows 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Has sfc /scannow ever fixed something?