Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's not at all controversial to say that a substantial portion of the collectors and speculators are going to be the people who are in charge of the printing of cards

Just wanted to point out that this is 100% controversial.

If that's what you believe then more power to ya I guess... but it is definitely not a widely held belief that the designers are running an investment racket to the point where it influences what they make and/or ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

fadam posted:

I think part of the problem is this new big, slower standard is a response to them wanting to make Standard a viable competitive format again. If that's your primary motivation, banning cards that are important parts of strong, but not dominant decks because people are tired of them sends a mixed message.

I've only followed things very sporadically, but wasn't there a big push in WotC to kill competitive Magic in general and downplay the idea of being a professional player? I seem to recall reading about that a couple years ago and being pretty outraged about it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I think the first few rounds of bans after this rotation change are going to be really important to watch. sheoldred is a dull chunk of stats that people are in general tired of but I don't even know if I'd say she's bannable, just a very good card. simultaneously I think that getting her out of standard just so that she isn't the main focus of every black deck for the next year is really defensible and I wouldn't be sad to see her go.

yeah but the Stats say she's fine in standard and banning her would reduce the card's equity, so for that reason, Sheoldred, the Apocalypse is Not Banned.

(not saying I don't agree with your logic but it's simply never going to happen based on historical experience. Their methodology is purely based on play rates and win rates and everything else they have written off, in so many words, as players moaning and whining as they always are)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
historically she wouldn't have been banned, but I think there is a door open for bans specifically to be 'this card has been dominant for a year+ and it's time to let some other cards in that color shine' with the longer rotation. i come down about 50/50 on that actually happening, to be clear

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Okay Weeping Angel is a cool card design.

Donna's my favorite companion but the card for her is kinda disappointing. A shame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Framboise posted:

Okay Weeping Angel is a cool card design.

Donna's my favorite companion but the card for her is kinda disappointing. A shame.

Yeah kind of weird, she wasn't an attack dog

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

someone leaked LOTR cards from the 2nd set this Nov... they're new cards (but for commander)

edit: these are for those collector display they're releasing as a new sku

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 29, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Galadriel's Dismissal is pretty great. Flexible as both protection and removal/finisher, plus flexible to single-target and an entire board. I've been waiting for a 1 CMC "target creature phases out", and this is significantly better than that.

edit: I'm actually a bit sad this isn't just "Dismissal" in the same way that "Reprieve" was printed. I'd like to see the card show up as a more common reprint, it does a lot of things that more white precons should do.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 29, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why is no one talking about Doctor creatures getting horsemanship?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

HootTheOwl posted:

Why is no one talking about Doctor creatures getting horsemanship?

Horsemanship has been a thing in commander sets. It's not really notable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Pinkertons appreciate all the extra business.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr. Stab posted:

Horsemanship has been a thing in commander sets. It's not really notable.

Horsemanship isn't what's notable in that sentence!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fadam posted:

More Doctor Who cards:

I'm assuming these are clever, top-down designs because they're named very specific things and have niche, weird effects.

How the hell is a Weeping Angel not an Angel Horror??

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jiro posted:

alien appears to be a relevant creature type to the set

also they did a lot of things with weeping angels in later seasons after the original ep and it's very silly

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jiro posted:

I guess they couldn't fit Alien Angel Horror Construct on the type line

Typing aside, the card is super cool and flavorful!

Why Donna is a stuffy doll is a question for the ages, because it makes no sense

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
legolas's quick reflexes seems really good

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

uggy posted:

legolas's quick reflexes seems really good

I'm definitely going to try it in infect in legacy along with Royal treatment from WOE vines has a lot of competition.
Also it really annoys me that the weeping angel has very prominent wings and doesn't have flying. I assume they can't fly in the show but still, don't make the wings so big in the art then.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

neaden posted:

I'm definitely going to try it in infect in legacy along with Royal treatment from WOE vines has a lot of competition.
Also it really annoys me that the weeping angel has very prominent wings and doesn't have flying. I assume they can't fly in the show but still, don't make the wings so big in the art then.

the weeping angels are nothing but statues (at least when another life form is looking at them). Their gimmick is they move and kill when you don't look at them, so yeah, flying never really enters the equation. Angels need wings though so you gotta have em.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The wings are a pretty big part of thier silhouette, and also anyone playing with these cards is gonna know they cant fly

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Silhouette posted:

I guess they couldn't fit Alien Angel Horror Construct on the type line

Typing aside, the card is super cool and flavorful!

Why Donna is a stuffy doll is a question for the ages, because it makes no sense

I'm pretty sure Donna's entire card is referencing her final episode, hence Soulbonding with a Doctor and harming people who harm her or the doctor.

Specifically, getting electrocuted made her able to save the day due to what was happening in that episode with her becoming part Doctor.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 30, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you really want to know what's up with the Weeping Angels, the episode that introduced them, "Blink", stars Carey Mulligan and is 95% a standalone story that has nothing to do with Doctor Who as a character or overarching plot so it's very easy to watch as a standalone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And every time they came back was bad so you get to not have them ruined.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

And every time they came back was bad

Pretty sure this was the shows mission statement.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aphrodite posted:

And every time they came back was bad so you get to not have them ruined.

I'll give you The Angels Take Manhattan, but The Time of Angels/Flesh And Stone two parter is a banger

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure Donna's entire card is referencing her final episode, hence Soulbonding with a Doctor and harming people who harm her or the doctor.

Specifically, getting electrocuted made her able to save the day due to what was happening in that episode with her becoming part Doctor.

I think it could've been done better if they gave her something like "Donna has all abilities of Doctor creatures you control" instead, or something similar. I'm not gonna complain about another stuffy doll for firesong & sunspeaker/boros damage-based sweepers.dec though :v:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Venuz Patrol posted:

bans aren't issued as they should because wotc has special consideration for collectors and speculators. it's not at all controversial to say that a substantial portion of the collectors and speculators are going to be the people who are in charge of the printing of cards and managing of the market.

Having had convos with wotc lawyers about employees trading or selling things: they shut this poo poo down immediately.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

born on a buy you posted:

Having had convos with wotc lawyers about employees trading or selling things: they shut this poo poo down immediately.

Couldn't it theoretically count as a form of insider trading scam?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they used to send full set lists out to their friends for them to front-run any price movements that the actual spoilers would cause.

they claim to have stopped doing it after one of them got leaked to the hoi polloi, but the only way i'd believe wizards actually cracks down on that stuff is a credible story of someone getting fired for doing it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It still gets leaked. Didn't chain of smog have a buyout before witherbloom apprentice was spoiled? I thought there was one combo card that did that at least

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sanguinia posted:

If there's not a The Last Time War saga I'm going to riot. Me, personally.

There's not an episode called The Last Time War so it's unlikely

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

ilmucche posted:

It still gets leaked. Didn't chain of smog have a buyout before witherbloom apprentice was spoiled? I thought there was one combo card that did that at least

It did, yeah, though it was close enough to the actual spoiler it could have easy been "fell off the back of the truck" physical product.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember Worldy Tutor had a buy out a week or two before commander collection green was spoiled, enough that it was obvious someone got a heads up it wouldn't be in.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Why is there not more controversy over the first AI-generated set?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Why is there not more controversy over the first AI-generated set?

If you’re a Doctor Who fan it probably makes a ton of sense.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fadam posted:

If you’re a Doctor Who fan it probably makes a ton of sense.

Yep.
In these episodes, Judoon are an Alien Rhino race of galactic cops, this character is introduced as a regular human who they’re after for some reason. Then the Doctor investigates what’s going on and why they are after her. Eventually they discover she is a different version of The Doctor after breaking a seal on her memory (that’s why she has Ward).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
how does that link to AI generation?

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'

ilmucche posted:

how does that link to AI generation?

It doesn't, but it reads like complete AI nonsense if you read that card without any knowledge of Dr Who

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's not an episode called The Last Time War so it's unlikely

Let's get Day of The Doctor as a saga, gimme a John Hurt War Doctor card and reset the board on chapter 3

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Since we are making GBS threads out so much product , can't we get more retro frame reprints? I don't give a poo poo about the 12x version of foils that all suck. I care modern era cards in old frames because they look, feel, and smell so goooood.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Let's get Day of The Doctor as a saga, gimme a John Hurt War Doctor card and reset the board on chapter 3

Chapter 1 is summoning a black wolf token and a white human token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Part of me is an absolute bastard that wants a Love & Monsters saga just to see how they'd handle it.