Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Speaking of nineties and Keanu Reeves, is his southern or british accent worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

rydiafan posted:

They made it work in editing, like Star Wars.

Exactly, Star Wars didn't originally have any space in it. Marcia Lucas' idea during the editing process, completely turned around the picture.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fish of hemp posted:

drat, now this is a debate. I'd say british.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

I think the southern accent is worse because I actually feel like his british accent works within the context of the movie. Coppola's Dracula is totally over the top in a hundred different ways, I like that Keanu got in on that action as well. Like, go back and look at some of Anthony Hopkins line deliveries, they're completely absurd.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pacino in The Devil's Advocate is full ham and it's great.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
BIll and Teds Excellent Adventure was going to be a very serious Cinema Verite style doco about two teens and how they typically spend there nights hanging outside their local Circle K, but than one night Rufus just suddenly showed up and the film makers followed them on their excellent adventure.

The rest is history!
:dadjoke:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I think the southern accent is worse because I actually feel like his british accent works within the context of the movie. Coppola's Dracula is totally over the top in a hundred different ways, I like that Keanu got in on that action as well. Like, go back and look at some of Anthony Hopkins line deliveries, they're completely absurd.

FEED ME!

E: PYF Subtle Movie Moments: PYF Blatant Movie Moments

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

As if I'm giving anyone the benefit of the doubt in the thread that taught me about Brad Pitt's illiteracy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I once overheard a couple guys trying to remember the subtitle of Bill and Ted's movie, and finally settled on, "Bill and Ted's Neat Invention"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

I once overheard a couple guys trying to remember the subtitle of Bill and Ted's movie, and finally settled on, "Bill and Ted's Neat Invention"

Haha, that adorable. Also I would totally watch that movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

Reminds me of the couple I overheard going on about that year's Oscars host, that Hugh Jackson fella.

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, everyone in FFC'sBS'sD is acting like they're in a different movie and it's wonderful. All the performances are insane, every last one of them. Yes, even Cary Ewels, yes especially the cowboy. Keanu spitting out Budapest in the first few minutes like there's a bug in the word that he almost swallowed. Gary Oldman's hairline. The cowboy.

I think of all the performances, the actress playing Lucy might have gotten closest to what Coppola had in mind.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah Lucy is perfect. Though Winona does a lovely job too and her accent is only mildly strained.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

What was the book version of Devil's Advocate about?

It was more like olddevilless

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Billy Campbell was the Rocketeer and the cowboy who kills Dracula*! That's a career I'd be proud of.

*e: in the book, anyway. In the movie he just stabs Dracula real bad.

Phy has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Aug 30, 2023

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

dr_rat posted:

Haha, that adorable. Also I would totally watch that movie.

You can, it's just called Weird Science.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My boy D-Rac just a straight up pimp

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like that they kept the mustache from the novel, but it should have been huge. Real bugger's grips.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Philippe posted:

Real bugger's grips.

Thanks, I have a new phrase I hate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've read that one of the few times Kubrick allowed full on improv was Full Metal Jacket, where R Lee Ermey was originally going to be a consultant as an example of a Vietnam-era drill instructor to go on, but apparently after doing some practice and demonstrations that left both men hoarse, Kubrick basically figured he might as well cast Ermey for the role. As a result a lot of his dialogue is ad-libbed, apparently they had to pause a shoot so he could explain to Kubrick what a reach-around was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

spookykid posted:

Thanks, I have a new phrase I hate.

It took me a second to realize what it implied and personally now I thoroughly love it

Ghost Leviathan posted:

apparently they had to pause a shoot so he could explain to Kubrick what a reach-around was.

This is the new greatest Film Fact

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ermey, while he did a fine job, basically backstabbed the guy who'd already been cast as the gunney sergeant to get the part. That guy elended up playing the 'GET SOME' door gunner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Reminds me of the couple I overheard going on about that year's Oscars host, that Hugh Jackson fella.

To be fair, you don't get much more southern than Australia.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Torquemada posted:

Ermey, while he did a fine job, basically backstabbed the guy who'd already been cast as the gunney sergeant to get the part. That guy elended up playing the 'GET SOME' door gunner.

I mean, considering Emery's "performance", if I were the other guy, I would give him the role, because Emery is very scary and loud oh god please stop yelling at me siryessir Emery did a phenomenal job, and certainly no other reasons. Nope.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Randalor posted:

I mean, considering Emery's "performance", if I were the other guy, I would give him the role, because Emery is very scary and loud oh god please stop yelling at me siryessir Emery did a phenomenal job, and certainly no other reasons. Nope.

The only main issue (not the movie or Emery's fault) is that to this day we are still suffering through bad impersonations/pastiches/homages to his performance anytime a drill instructor or even just "loud army guy" has to be on screen.

I'm playing the game Armored Core 6 and one of the guy giving you missions is a bad Emery-wannabe performance.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Well you do look like a guy who'd gently caress a mech in the generator without giving it a goddamn reach around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Billy Campbell was the Rocketeer and the cowboy who kills Dracula*! That's a career I'd be proud of.

*e: in the book, anyway. In the movie he just stabs Dracula real bad.

Coppola's Dracula gets major credit for keeping Quincy in the movie, he seems to always get cut because you want a suitor for Lucy to at least maintain that storyline somewhat, so that's Holmwood. Then you also want to have Doc Seward in the movie but a lot of times Quincy is considered superfluous. Which is criminal because yea how can you cut a guy who has such a big role in actually killing Dracula in the book?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've read that one of the few times Kubrick allowed full on improv was Full Metal Jacket, where R Lee Ermey was originally going to be a consultant as an example of a Vietnam-era drill instructor to go on, but apparently after doing some practice and demonstrations that left both men hoarse, Kubrick basically figured he might as well cast Ermey for the role. As a result a lot of his dialogue is ad-libbed, apparently they had to pause a shoot so he could explain to Kubrick what a reach-around was.

According to some, the "Here's Johnny!" line from The Shining was improved by Nicholson, and had to fight tooth and nail to keep it in, because Kubrick was apparently the original "I don't even own a TV" guy, and he didn't get the reference.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

According to some, the "Here's Johnny!" line from The Shining was improved by Nicholson, and had to fight tooth and nail to keep it in, because Kubrick was apparently the original "I don't even own a TV" guy, and he didn't get the reference.

It’s a weird line to be fair that doesn’t really seem like it fits the movie when you think about it. I knew it as a Shining reference before I’d even watched the film without knowing it was a reference to something else.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

It’s a weird line to be fair that doesn’t really seem like it fits the movie when you think about it. I knew it as a Shining reference before I’d even watched the film without knowing it was a reference to something else.

It's one of those things that works better over time the further you get from the original reference. At the time, Jack's making an odd reference to Carson. Nowadays, he just comes off as having gone fully into insanity.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

And Ron Perlman was so excited he broke character pretty much the frame after where they cut to the next shot.

If I remember the commentary correctly she made it on the first shot, leading to Ron Perlman ruining it, and the shot we got, with the ball going off frame, was the only other time she managed it after trying again and again for the rest of the day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

It's one of those things that works better over time the further you get from the original reference. At the time, Jack's making an odd reference to Carson. Nowadays, he just comes off as having gone fully into insanity.

Also, "Here's Johnny" has become so freaking iconic that it's just the thing he does.

As a side note, the first time I saw someone breaking through a door in a movie and they did a tracking shot of the axe head in homage to The Shining I thought it was real cool, but then I saw it in like two other things in fairly short order and it's like c'mon now people.

Basebf555 posted:

Coppola's Dracula gets major credit for keeping Quincy in the movie, he seems to always get cut because you want a suitor for Lucy to at least maintain that storyline somewhat, so that's Holmwood. Then you also want to have Doc Seward in the movie but a lot of times Quincy is considered superfluous. Which is criminal because yea how can you cut a guy who has such a big role in actually killing Dracula in the book?

I think probably because he doesn't add a ton that can't be divided up amongst other roles, except for being a Dracula-stabbing cowboy. If I were filming Dracula I'd definitely always leave him in, because, fuckin cowboy, but they don't ask me these things.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love Quincy Morris dearly. He's a real American and you can tell because of all the American things he says and does.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Coppola's Dracula is the only film version I can think of that includes Quincy. If there are others, please post them because I love the rootin'-tootin' cowboy who stabs Dracula to death.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Quincy Morris is canon to the IGA Castlevania games, though only his decidedly less cowboy-ish son John and grandson Jonathan actually appear in the series proper. I'm pretty sure he's still the most directly referenced non-Dracula character from the novel in the entire series.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kantesu posted:

Quincy Morris is canon to the IGA Castlevania games, though only his decidedly less cowboy-ish son John and grandson Jonathan actually appear in the series proper. I'm pretty sure he's still the most directly referenced non-Dracula character from the novel in the entire series.

Oh, like John Morris in Bloodlines? Neat!

Not sarcastic, I legit think that's cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's really funny seeing people actually discover the book Dracula and learn it's not only presented in blog format (to a degree that is often hilariously implausible) or that it's a techno-thriller showcasing the latest technology of the time being used against the supernatural, but it does indeed also have an actual cowboy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's a mailing list that you can join that will send you the letters and newspaper clippings from Dracula in order as the dates take place over the course of a couple of months. This year's is almost over but you can sign up for next year here: https://draculadaily.com

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They built prop doors for that Shining scene. But Nicholson had been a firefighter and knew how to swing an axe and broke through them too quickly so they had to get real ones.

https://twitter.com/stanleykubrick/status/1576602982086578179

The axe itself sold at auction for $175k last year.
https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/the-shining-ax-stanley-kubrick-stephen-king-auction-stanley-film-center-1234722171/#:~:text='The%20Shining'%20Ax%20Purchased%20for,based%20on%20Stephen%20King's%20novel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really funny seeing people actually discover the book Dracula and learn it's not only presented in blog format

It's called epistolary, if you were curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's even a substack that emails you chapters of Dracula on the day they took place! It's a great way to read the novel. https://draculadaily.substack.com/about