Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Baddog posted:

I remember having a discussion with someone about 18 months ago where "8% mortgages would break everything!" was discussed. But we're almost there now, and attitudes have all been adjusted.

Almost there for marginal rates, but the average mortgage rate paid is still very very low:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The average rate paid, so inclusive of everyone who got a mortgage previously? That's the tralingest of trailing indicators I've ever seen, congrats.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
My point was its difficult for "8% mortgages" to break everything when so few people are paying that much.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They can break everything if "everything" is the current housing market, in which any new buyer has to borrow at current rates. That a lot of homeowners are paying 3% is sort of the point, they can't sell and rebuy in the same market and maybe not even in a cheaper market if the higher rate eats up whatever the difference would be in pricing, so supply of homes for sale dries up too. New starts could also go down due to very high borrowing rates and any anxiety about the market next year.

If "everything" is the entire US economy? Then yeah, no, I don't think a slowdown in housing starts and contraction of the housing market necessarily forces a recession. Unemployment is the most important driver of recession and as long as unemployment seems to be staying very low I'm predicting no recession.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

drk posted:

My point was its difficult for "8% mortgages" to break everything when so few people are paying that much.

Well, we're specifically talking about home buyers, not necessarily home-owners. Folks who got their 2.5% locked in for the remaining 28 years of their mortgage on the house that they plan to stay in until it is paid off are indeed feeling pretty good about life. But people who want to either buy in or trade up to a bigger home are certainly facing the fact that they're gonna pay a lot more for their mortgage.

That said, I think that will have more of an effect on people who currently have low-interest mortgages and decide to stay put in houses they might be outgrowing. I don't think it will stop people who are currently renting and looking to buy their first home.

The real issue is how much the people unable/unwilling to trade up will disrupt the market. Normally your first-time buyers are buying their homes from the people who are trading up. New construction tends to cater to the higher ends of the market for exactly this reason. Housing starts are flatter than you might expect, given how hot the real estate markets remain...

So are we going to see a shift over the next few years where there are more low-end units built to cater to people ready to buy their first home but finding a lack of "starter homes" on the market? That's the kind of change that would take years for developers to implement, so they would probably need to see that the market is going to stay this hot and that interest rates are going to stay this high.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's important to note that housing starts are not only sensitive to predictions about the upcoming market conditions for new home sales, but also just a capital-intensive business to begin with. Even if a developer can pre-sell some homes with deposits, they still need a big whack of cash to purchase a hunk of land, prepare it, install infrastructure, and then build a hundred homes on it. They borrow that money and as rates rise, they're borrowing at higher rates. As wages rise, they're paying higher wages in a labor-intensive business as well. They have to predict significantly high profit margins to make the whole thing worth while and they have to find the money.

A lack of supply into a growing population puts pressure on both home prices and rents, which can drive future inflation, which drives higher rates from the fed...

Baddog
May 12, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

So are we going to see a shift over the next few years where there are more low-end units built to cater to people ready to buy their first home but finding a lack of "starter homes" on the market? That's the kind of change that would take years for developers to implement, so they would probably need to see that the market is going to stay this hot and that interest rates are going to stay this high.

Just anecdotally, I believe a lot of in-flight stuff gets shifted significantly just by downgrading trim and some materials. Houses from 600-800K become 400-600 pretty quickly.

And I thought this new development north of me was going to be sort of medium-end, but they appear to now be throwing down 4 unit townhomes.

Ton of apartment buildings going up as well (backed up by this chart), which aren't getting reflected in the housing starts.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ETOTALUSQ176N

Complicated picture.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LanceHunter posted:

That said, I think that will have more of an effect on people who currently have low-interest mortgages and decide to stay put in houses they might be outgrowing. I don't think it will stop people who are currently renting and looking to buy their first home.

My prediction is that in the next decade or so we're going to see a mini-construction boom in housing renovations. People who have to move to a whole new region are going to bite the bullet and get a higher mortgage because presumably their new job in NY pays enough to make abandoning their 2.5% mortgage in TX worthwhile, but people who normally would have bought a new, bigger house in the same zip code as their family gets larger aren't going to want to do that.

If you've got a 2020 2.5% mortgage on a 2br/1bath 1500sqft house that you bought as a couple of pandemic DINKs, it might make more sense in 2030 to get a HELOC and build an addition to it when kid #2 gets old enough that they really need their own room rather than take on an entire new mortgage at 8% or whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah to quote my distant high school buddy who has two kids approaching middle school age

quote:

we may be putting in a pool next year. we were hoping to move but I ain't giving up my 3.25 interest rate. we had our agent run some numbers. to get a house at the size and amenities we want, at current rates... we'd be looking at 2000 more a month... and that's before insurance and taxes
and he is on the upper middle tier of people. He could technically go get the bigger house but that's clearly not the direction they're going. Anyone below that line has probably also already done the math and come to the same conclusion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and california has statewide law that you can do an ADU in your SFH, overriding local restrictions, so there's already a huge boom of ADU upgrades here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

My prediction is that in the next decade or so we're going to see a mini-construction boom in housing renovations. People who have to move to a whole new region are going to bite the bullet and get a higher mortgage because presumably their new job in NY pays enough to make abandoning their 2.5% mortgage in TX worthwhile, but people who normally would have bought a new, bigger house in the same zip code as their family gets larger aren't going to want to do that.

I think we’re also going to see a lot of environmental/sustainability-based renovations, ramping up solar on private homes, things like that on an individual level, and (hopefully) bigger renovations to be cleaner for commercial and industrial as well.

The news reports coming one year after the IRA are showing it’s spurred a lot of investment, but I don’t think the story is ending with EV battery and charger factories only.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

In previous rate spikes, you didn’t have private equity around to catch the knife when housing prices fell. That’s changed, meaning rates have to stay at 8% for a while before sentiment begins to turn. Housing should be down in value, but with enough “long-term” thinking investors, we won’t see the expected drop.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

street doc posted:

In previous rate spikes, you didn’t have private equity around to catch the knife when housing prices fell. That’s changed, meaning rates have to stay at 8% for a while before sentiment begins to turn. Housing should be down in value, but with enough “long-term” thinking investors, we won’t see the expected drop.

There hasn’t been a rate spike since the 80s, and PE is not locking in SFHs when the Fed says we’re almost a quarter point away from the peak. The main reason housing isn’t down in value is because most potential sellers can’t afford to move.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hypnophant posted:

The main reason housing isn’t down in value is because most potential sellers can’t afford to move.

Looking forward to refinancing my 6.25% mortgage when the Fed loses that Mexican standoff and lowers rates to 4.99 for exactly one quarter* :allears:

*in like, 18 months; definitely not any time soon

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Looking forward to refinancing my 6.25% mortgage when the Fed loses that Mexican standoff and lowers rates to 4.99 for exactly one quarter* :allears:

*in like, 18 months; definitely not any time soon

Gotta admit, it's pretty nice to not get refinance spam all the time from banks now. :v:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I'm a bit confused by some statistics I found. The total amounts of money held in saving accounts in the Unitesd States is supposedly about 800 billion, whereas in Belgium this same statistic is 330 billion dollar. So despite the USA having a way higher average wealth per capita (almost double), the average Belgium has 10 times more money on their saving accounts than the average American. Is there an easy explanation for that or am I reading my sources* wrong?

Most likely explanation I can think of is that the USA wealth is much more concentrated, combined with the idea that the amount of money rich people keep on saving accounts is very limited. Or is there another explanation? Perhaps it's also something cultural.

Reason why I encountered that statistic is by reading about the most recent government bond the Belgium government issued. It's incredibly successful already, mostly because the government promotes it by saying "we lowered the tax rate on this 1 year bond to punish the banks for not increasing their interest rate!". This got the banks to start complaining about the bond being unfair competition, and I can't imagine a better way to get a population to buy a financial instrument than that.

*) Sources: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/banking/savings/american-savings-statistics/#:~:text=Key%20Facts,personal%20income)%20was%204.1%25.
https://www.brusselstimes.com/367911/over-e300-billion-stashed-away-in-belgians-savings-accounts
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/08/...20data%20shows.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Savings accounts are M1 while bonds are M2, the second article talks specifically about bonds whereas the first article talks about interest rates in savings accounts which are M1. So let's clarify what you're talking about

General consensus is that you want a 6 month emergency fund. Once you get beyond 12-18 month emergency fund you're kind of kneecapping yourself, money in savings accounts and bonds are typically very low yield and you're better off picking something like an index fund.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
The wealth concentration and savings pattern is also part of it. It’s not like tons of poor Americans are holding bonds and not savings or HYSAs.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

I'm a bit confused by some statistics I found. The total amounts of money held in saving accounts in the Unitesd States is supposedly about 800 billion, whereas in Belgium this same statistic is 330 billion dollar. So despite the USA having a way higher average wealth per capita (almost double), the average Belgium has 10 times more money on their saving accounts than the average American. Is there an easy explanation for that or am I reading my sources* wrong?

Most likely explanation I can think of is that the USA wealth is much more concentrated, combined with the idea that the amount of money rich people keep on saving accounts is very limited. Or is there another explanation? Perhaps it's also something cultural.

Reason why I encountered that statistic is by reading about the most recent government bond the Belgium government issued. It's incredibly successful already, mostly because the government promotes it by saying "we lowered the tax rate on this 1 year bond to punish the banks for not increasing their interest rate!". This got the banks to start complaining about the bond being unfair competition, and I can't imagine a better way to get a population to buy a financial instrument than that.

*) Sources: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/banking/savings/american-savings-statistics/#:~:text=Key%20Facts,personal%20income)%20was%204.1%25.
https://www.brusselstimes.com/367911/over-e300-billion-stashed-away-in-belgians-savings-accounts
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/08/...20data%20shows.

I think the Forbes number is the personal savings rate per year - i.e. Americans saved 800b in 2022. Whereas the Belgium number is the total wealth sitting in savings accounts.

E.g https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PSAVE#:~:text=(a)%20Personal%20Saving%2C%20Billions,Change%2C%20Billions%20of%20Dollars this is an annualized rate

It's hard to figure out what the belgian sources say because they are all flemmy

esquilax fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 30, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'd be curious about the extent to which Belgium's postal banking system might play a role. What percentage of the population is unbanked compared to the US at ~4.5%? The unbanked probably wouldn't be contributing a particularly sizeable chunk as they skew toward the impoverished, but just having accessible banking options in early Iife probably contributes to a higher per capita savings rate?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

esquilax posted:

I think the Forbes number is the personal savings rate per year - i.e. Americans saved 800b in 2022. Whereas the Belgium number is the total wealth sitting in savings accounts.

E.g https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PSAVE#:~:text=(a)%20Personal%20Saving%2C%20Billions,Change%2C%20Billions%20of%20Dollars this is an annualized rate

It's hard to figure out what the belgian sources say because they are all flemmy

Aha, that must be it! I really should have realized this myself, thanks for helping.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 30, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

I don’t remember where I saw this statistic but the European financial system is much more reliant on just regular bank savings accounts. Americans tend to have better access to financial products like 401ks, even at lower income levels, than their European counterparts, and so keep less money in savings accounts at banks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Did that stat include checking accounts? I bet a lot of people have theirs in checking instead of plain savings, if those are treated differently.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Checking and savings are both part of M1, as is cash

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2023-08-29/china-reaches-peak-gasoline-in-milestone-for-electric-vehicles

quote:

expecting gasoline demand in China to peak this year, two years earlier than its previous outlooks.

The main culprit? The surging number of electric vehicles on the road.

As I’ve written previously, calling peaks is often a no-win endeavor for industry analysts. The call will either be correct but seem obvious after the fact, or wrong and lead to years of mockery. But this isn’t an analyst calling a peak; it’s China’s largest fuel distributor. Sinopec knows the fuel business, and more importantly, it has an interest in the business remaining robust. Saying it’s all downhill from here for gasoline is quite a statement.

Fuel demand in two and three-wheeled vehicles is already in structural decline, with BNEF estimating that 70% of total kilometers traveled by these vehicles already switched over to electric. Fuel demand for cars will be the next to turn, since well over 5% of the passenger-vehicle fleet is now either battery-electric or plug-in hybrid.

Electric, fuel cell and battery-swapping options have quickly climbed to 12% of light commercial vehicle sales and 4% to 5% of medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales. That heavy-duty figure is likely to climb to over 10% by 2025.

Might also explain why China has been totally silent about building a new pipeline to Russia. By the time it would be finished, there would be zero demand

I expect the rest of BRICS and similar economies to be 5-7 years behind China in electric adoption? Battery prices will have to come down more. Pretty interesting to see countries being energy independent in our lifetime due to solar and wind. What is everyone going to squabble over? Fresh water I guess

There's a blurb about heavy diesel vehicles still hanging on for the interm

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I expect the rest of BRICS and similar economies to be 5-7 years behind China in electric adoption? Battery prices will have to come down more. Pretty interesting to see countries being energy independent in our lifetime due to solar and wind. What is everyone going to squabble over? Fresh water I guess

There's a blurb about heavy diesel vehicles still hanging on for the interm

The others are more scattered, both in passenger cars and trucks. China has really pushed this forward with their incentives from 2017-22, and it’s almost past the point where they need the incentives to have commercial vehicles be price competitive (certainly TCO competitive) with diesel.

Russia, no clue. India is trying to push into EVs but also has some protection around the industry and material sourcing. Brazil isn’t as organized but some cities are trying to push for bus/trucks. Again, though, Brazil has a very protected auto/truck industry as well. South Africa is a smaller market and trailing others, so you might see passenger cars there but trucks and buses will trail.

The other nations that the BRICS included last month are all oil-rich but rich enough to pay for a transition if they desire. I’ve seen news of some pilot projects but nothing about huge transitions there yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Any time anyone says "BRICS will do X" it's wise to be skeptical. Even just taking the core fourfive countries, there are huge political, economic, size/scale, geography, and institutional differences that I think are really tough to reconcile. And this is before you even start to include the also-ran shitshow economies that have been invited for 2024.

It's worth remembering how BRIC(S) came about : A GS dude in 2001 identified the core four as fast growing economies that were likely to dominate the global economy by 2050. This was a bit of a Take at the time and was also designed (GS, remember) to spur various investments. Then, post hoc, the countries later decided that it was a good idea to coordinate further. I doubt you would see the level of (attempted) coordination among these countries had O'Neill's paper not made the cultural zeitgeist.

Edit: "BRICS and similar economies" is meaningless - the differences between the five economies in the second BRIC(S) grouping are vast.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any time anyone says "BRICS will do X" it's wise to be skeptical. Even just taking the core fourfive countries, there are huge political, economic, size/scale, geography, and institutional differences that I think are really tough to reconcile. And this is before you even start to include the also-ran shitshow economies that have been invited for 2024.

It's worth remembering how BRIC(S) came about : A GS dude in 2001 identified the core four as fast growing economies that were likely to dominate the global economy by 2050. This was a bit of a Take at the time and was also designed (GS, remember) to spur various investments. Then, post hoc, the countries later decided that it was a good idea to coordinate further. I doubt you would see the level of (attempted) coordination among these countries had O'Neill's paper not made the cultural zeitgeist.

Edit: "BRICS and similar economies" is meaningless - the differences between the five economies in the second BRIC(S) grouping are vast.

Sure, but I do think there's something to be said for the BRICS - however you want to name them - being an identifiable grouping of countries that are trying to operate outside what I'm going to just hand-wave as the Bretton Woods economic system. Much Bretton Woods is largely defined by the US economy and how people interact with it, the BRICS system is pretty dependent on China.

I don't have a solid thesis on any of this, but to my eyes there's definitely a there, there. If you're a developing country that wants financial aid (whether to build roads or a corrupt prestige project for the leadership) there's an alternative now to sucking up to DC, the IMF, etc. Is it a good alternative? Probably depends on what your priorities are. In a lot of ways it's a return to the Cold War system where Moscow provided a plausible alternative source of economic aid as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think that alternative exists separately from any of the BRICS institutions. China does far more development investment outside of BRICS institutions than within it. Exim, CDB and Silk Road all dwarf the New Development Bank. If Russia, India, Brazil, and RSA (lmao) all disappeared there would still be an equally financially credible alternative to the US-aligned economic order. Now, politically BRICS is probably useful to China in that it allows for top cover for development investment where you're not just a developing country giving concessions to China in return for investment, but the financials aren't functionally different as a result. And for the other countries it allows them to ride the coat-tails of the Chinese economic engine to a degree. But I question whether it's going to move policy in a meaningful way in each of the member countries.

To give you a sense of how strong cooperation is across BRICS countries: one of the major goals is to set up a credible alternative to SWIFT for international banking. It's been so successful that four alternatives to SWIFT have been established, one by each of the economies that matter in the group.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But I question whether it's going to move policy in a meaningful way in each of the member countries.

The more or less explicit position of at least Russia, China, and India - and many of the other prominent countries interested in BRICS+, and probably also many of the Western commentators who are getting excited about BRICS - is that international institutions should provide a forum for commercial/financial ties only, and have no business trying to influence member states' policies on economic development, let alone human rights, political freedom, transparency, etc. It's more plausible that whatever BRICS institutions arise will deliberately avoid any open structural influence on policy as it's exerted by the UNHRC, IMF, and other international institutions.

Cyrano4747 posted:

what I'm going to just hand-wave as the Bretton Woods economic system. Much Bretton Woods is largely defined by the US economy and how people interact with it

I think better terms for this in the modern era are just "the UN" or "the system of global trade". The Bretton Woods system is entirely dead and the institutions it spawned are part of the UN now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hypnophant posted:

The more or less explicit position of at least Russia, China, and India - and many of the other prominent countries interested in BRICS+, and probably also many of the Western commentators who are getting excited about BRICS - is that international institutions should provide a forum for commercial/financial ties only, and have no business trying to influence member states' policies on economic development, let alone human rights, political freedom, transparency, etc. It's more plausible that whatever BRICS institutions arise will deliberately avoid any open structural influence on policy as it's exerted by the UNHRC, IMF, and other international institutions.

Right, which is why I think things like this are silly:

Hadlock posted:

I expect the rest of BRICS and similar economies to be 5-7 years behind China in electric adoption?

That's an internal policy matter for each of those countries and the economic and political conditions supporting EV adoption in each of those countries are very different, as harperdc summarized very well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The government providing incentives to business is important for initial adoption, bootstrapping, etc; the conclusion I came to looking at that graph is that not only have we reached critical mass for industry to start building large optimized factories to support EV components, but it's causing fuel consumption growth to stagnate and actually reduce overall consumption. This was the big win everyone was looking for, a measurable decrease in fossil fuels

This implies to me that EVs can stand on their own economically and businesses will choose them over ICE when and where they're cheaper, and will become economical to use over ICE vehicles in the near future for other countries as well

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Chinese government is still shoveling money at customer incentives for NEVs to the tune of 30,000rmb per car. Fossil fuel consumption decreasing does not inherently mean that EVs are cheaper than ICE vehicles without the incentives.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
prc government knows that continued oil dependence means opec and the usa would have them by the balls. so even if it were 100% geopolitical reasons only they would do it

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

The government providing incentives to business is important for initial adoption, bootstrapping, etc; the conclusion I came to looking at that graph is that not only have we reached critical mass for industry to start building large optimized factories to support EV components, but it's causing fuel consumption growth to stagnate and actually reduce overall consumption. This was the big win everyone was looking for, a measurable decrease in fossil fuels

This implies to me that EVs can stand on their own economically and businesses will choose them over ICE when and where they're cheaper, and will become economical to use over ICE vehicles in the near future for other countries as well

This has already started in the US in the last few years + (literally), as a net oil exporter. Oil demand isn't going up anywhere in the USA, effectively. It's what makes me question why OPEC is constantly trying to support higher oil prices when negotiating with the US, etc. Ref: https://wolfstreet.com/2023/09/05/c...roduction-cuts/

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 7, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This has already started in the US in the last few years + (literally), as a net oil exporter. Oil demand isn't going up anywhere in the USA, effectively. It's what makes me question why OPEC is constantly trying to support higher oil prices when negotiating with the US, etc. Ref: https://wolfstreet.com/2023/09/05/c...roduction-cuts/

Oil and Gas nations or whatever you want to call them desperately need to diversify but in the meanwhile they absolutely have to get as much money as possible out of each drop until it's game over.

Saudi Arabia's mega projects are good examples of why they need they cash otherwise it's going to fail or never complete. The SA energy minister Abdulaziz bin Salman if my memory serves me has done some great interviews on FT and Bloomberg on how they are trying to maximize their profits.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/new-huawei-soc-features-processor-cores-designed-in-house/

quote:

Analysis of the main chip inside the Mate 60 Pro smartphone, which launched at the end of last month and immediately sold out, reveals that Huawei has joined the elite group of Big Tech companies capable of designing their own semiconductors.

Four of the eight central processing units in the Mate 60 Pro’s “system on a chip” (SoC) rely purely on a design by Arm, the British company whose chip architecture powers 99 percent of smartphones.

The other four CPUs are Arm-based but feature Huawei’s own designs and adaptations, according to three people familiar with the Mate’s development and Geekerwan, a Chinese technology testing company that took a closer look at the main chip.

However, the company still faces the challenge of producing cutting-edge chips with the latest equipment because the US restricts Huawei’s suppliers. The Biden administration said earlier this month it was seeking details on the SoC inside Huawei’s new phone.

Research group TechInsights earlier this month reported that the Mate 60 Pro’s main chip had been made by China’s Semiconductor Manufacturing International at the 7-nanometer node of miniaturization—two generations behind the most advanced smartphone chipmaking production lines.

Various testing teams, including Geekerwan’s, have found that Huawei’s semiconductor capabilities are one to two years behind those of chips made by the US’s Qualcomm, the leading mobile chipmaker. Huawei’s chips also consume more power than its competitors’, according to measurements, and can cause the phone to heat up.

“[We] could tell from the teardown that Huawei managed to replace most risky elements that were subject or vulnerable to export controls with homegrown or even in-house products,” said a person familiar with the company’s smartphone chip design. “The endeavors are worthy of applause but not enough to claim victory.”

I've seen some sources imply this new chip shows Joe Biden's Sanctions Aren't Working, but to me it seems like this is the intended effect: Chinese companies have to switch to domestic chip production, at a lower level of performance and presumably higher economic cost. I don't think anyone expected the sanctions would totally prevent any new domestic chip development in China. Anyone have a different take? How big of a deal is this?

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

ASML dragged their god drat feet to sell as much 6nm equipment as possible to China. Now China can sell decent CPUs, they’ll have a very positive profit cycle to fuel future development.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

China started in house production of the Allwinner A10 back in... 2010? First reference I can find online about it being commercially available is 2011. This was an ARM licensed single core design (very) roughly comparable to a first generation raspberry pi with 1080p@30fps output capable. Like early 2000s pentium 3 very very roughly. I like to think of it as the Chinese solution to "if we stopped trading externally, could we still build computers that would allow us to build progressively better computers?"

Shortly after they started on the H series which was a quad core so it ramped up quickly. I think he A , D and H series CPU were mostly straight up copies though.

I guess where I'm going with this is, China was going to design their own chip eventually. There's a bunch of both low power Arduino style (which are backwards compatible with the .... M3? ARM instruction set going back to the 1980s) and med-low desktop style RISC-V CPUs coming out of China now. It's kind of funny because Berkeley designed and released the RISC-V instruction set for free and will (more than 50%, guess) become the bedrock of Chinese cpu design

That speculation aside, seems like China was going to catch up with the US and Taiwan within a decade, the highly specialized lithography machines coming out of Europe (Netherlands ?) are the lynchpin of the industry and we've stopped export to China so that will slow them down, but as far as competitors who are experts in reverse engineering tech is China

I feel we bought 10 years by freezing CPU mfg technology exports but we've accelerated their need to develop the technology.

My guess is China was reliant on some specific chip for their ICBM or radar technology and we decided to cut them off wholesale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Fed has decided against raising rates again right now.