Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FMguru posted:

AITA for RSVPing no to my sister's wedding?

OP should go, wear a white (or red) dress, get lovely drunk, loudly complain about everything, openly hit on the groom, try to drag as many groomsmen off for quickies as possible, photobomb every picture, have a screaming meltdown during the bride's reception speech, and connive to send the tiered cake tumbling to the ground before it is served.

Alternatively, OP should shrug and say she'll try and make it to her sister's next wedding. Be sure to always refer to your new brother-in-law as your sister's "first husband".

you know, this thread is basically a training course on how to do domestic terrorism to somebody's wedding

(and much more frequently a tutorial on how to use your own wedding to make your friends and relatives despise you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Low water pressure, not drops of water moving in slowmo while she moves into their path like Bizzaro Neo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jakabite posted:

Look at moneybags over here with a shower big enough to get a chair in!!!!

It's a chair made to be waterproof and fit in a shower, even a standing-only one.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

trickybiscuits posted:

Dear Abby: Grandparents denied access to grandson due to baseless accusations

What a hosed-up situation on multiple levels.

"

This dumb boomer idea that "family" is the most important thing in the world and you should always have a relationship with people who are lovely if they are your family is so infuriating. Imagine just saying a "little white lie" instead of telling some racist rear end in a top hat to gently caress off and stay away from my child. Oh no the racist is angry at me and might leave forever.

And gently caress, if I'm not allowed to be absolutely furious at my dumb husband for buying pills from god knows where and sending them THROUGH THE loving MAIL to his mom, what am I allowed to be mad about? gently caress prudence

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Quackles posted:

Solution = shower chair. Sit while you shower.

Hell, I've just sat in the tub to shower if I was tired of being on my feet all day, it's great. Showering is the first thing I want to do after a hard workday, it's way more relaxing than sitting around all gross, I'd even be filling up a bucket to wash with if the water's too slow rather than wait any longer.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Low water pressure and a bad water heater can make the usually extremely pleasant experience of showering into a goddamned chore. You should still do it tho.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Quackles posted:

It's a chair made to be waterproof and fit in a shower, even a standing-only one.

I do not understand how "normal" people have not caught on to shower chairs and grab bars for showers and bathtubs. They're super cheap and kind of rule.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't really like shower chairs very often but when you want them you really, really want them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We’ve gone from shower beer to shower chair, we’re getting old.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do they make waterproof wheelchairs I can just drive into the shower? Asking for a friend

And do they have cupholders

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you keep the shower chair in your bathtub you can take it out when you take a bath and use it as a little table to hold your bath beer.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
No because I don’t want to sit in a chair, I want to sit in a big goddamn lounger or lie on a sofa.

I appreciate the suggestion tho

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jakabite posted:

No because I don’t want to sit in a chair, I want to sit in a big goddamn lounger or lie on a sofa.

I appreciate the suggestion tho

Well that just sounds like it's gonna get all gross and terrible the moment you turn on the water

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jakabite posted:

I think that's just called a bathtub.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well that just sounds like it's gonna get all gross and terrible the moment you turn on the water

Just get a plastic inflatable one from the pool section.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Low water pressure, not drops of water moving in slowmo while she moves into their path like Bizzaro Neo

the slow water penetrates the grime

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

It matters in cases of emergency - if your partner is hospitalized and incapacitated, for example, family is usually the prime choice to make decisions on their behalf. Your spouse is family, legally speaking, while your boyfriend of 14 years is not. Same thing if your partner dies without a will - their assets will go to their family, where spouse has a rank and “person they dated for a very long time” does not.

Those are all scenarios you can avoid with proper planning (by naming power of attorney, by writing a will, etc) but those plans add entanglements that need to be unwound if the relationship ends and generally when somebody says that they’ve been dating for 14 years but aren’t married yet, they’re not forgetting to mention that they have PoA and wills set up etc.

Not in every country,
In Aus and other countries, if you live together for 2+ years and never marry, you are de facto, which ranks up there with spouse, legally. You do need to live together though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for choosing money over a friendship?

quote:

I (F, 30) went on a 5 day vacation recently, and asked my friend, Anna (30), if she could stay at my place to take care of my cat and dog while I'm away. We've known each other for 20 years, and she lived here in the past when she had nowhere else to go, so I trusted her.

She said yes immediately, and in return I told her she can use my card to order takeout, so she doesn't have to cook. She ordered expensive, full-course dinners every day, but I didn't mention that, because I didn't set a limit, so I guess that's on me. I decided to let that go, and just enjoy my vacation.

However, when I got home, I noticed that she basically emptied my fridge and pantry, and also my shampoo, conditioner, hair mask, lotion, shower gel, skincare, etc. I don't even know how is that possible to use up almost the full bottles in just 5 days, they last me months sometimes. On top of that she left dirty mugs in the sink, the countertops were covered in stains, the bathtub was dirty, my wardrobe was a mess, some of my makeup items were missing and there were even dirty shoeprints on my rugs.

When we met a few days later, I told her that I'm grateful for the petsitting, but I was kinda surprised by the mess and how she used up almost all my products. She jokingly said she couldn't afford vacation this summer, so this was her vacation. When I said that her "vacation" costed me a month's salary plus 2 days of cleaning, Anna started raising her voice, and went off on me about how I can't expect free labour from her, she has better things to do and I'm an AH for hurting her by choosing money over our friendship.

I was kinda shocked because when we discussed her stay, she didn't even want me to pay for her food, but now I'm suddenly "a greedy c**t who envies some skincare from her best friend". I didn't say anything, just left.

I haven't spoken to her since then, but I know she's trash talking me to her other friends, who all seem to think I'm the AH. I feel tired of her behaviour and how she's acting after I was by her side even when her own family went nc with her. I know friends are way more important, but unfortunately I don't sweat money, and Anna has a habit of trying to spend mine which I don't appreciate. My sister says I overreacted and it's petty to cut Anna out of my life over money issues. So reddit, AITA?

I need to find me some rich friends to house and petsit for. I have house sat and pet sat for several friends, and always make sure to leave the place clean. Nor did I ever take anything other than eating food they said I could eat, ie snacks. I need to find me some rich people to house sit for so I can at least eat more than store brand chips.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

¿Por que no los dos?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AKA Pseudonym posted:

i was thinking it just oozed out of the shower head like molasses

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for choosing money over a friendship?

quote:

and also my shampoo, conditioner, hair mask, lotion, shower gel, skincare, etc. I don't even know how is that possible to use up almost the full bottles in just 5 days, they last me months sometimes.

quote:

now I'm suddenly "a greedy c**t who envies some skincare from her best friend".

lol she totally emptied all this poo poo into ziplock bags to take home with her

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my sister her son is only special to her

Literally the parenting lesson from a Bluey episode.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

lol she totally emptied all this poo poo into ziplock bags to take home with her

Anyone else remember the housesitter who emptied out his friend's wine cellar/cabinet and freezer of all kinds of meat?

added spacing. When I worked as a birthday balloon twister ages before Covid, this happened to me once. Never again.

AITA for NEVER wanting to babysit this family again

quote:

I (14 F) NEVER want to babysit this family of 5 again. (Btw they are also my next door neighbors). Earlier this morning, I received a text from the Mom (probably in her 30’s). She has 3 kids with her husband (also probably in his 30’s). The 2 oldest kids are twins (5F and 5M). They also have a baby (M 2-3). The text I received from the mom was her asking me if I’m free for 2 hours to watch the TWINS. She said the twins and did NOT mention anyone else. I said yes and when it was time I walked next door and into their backyard where they told me to go.

As I opened the gate, a mother and 2 kids walked in behind me. Weird I thought but at first shrugged it off, until I saw a bounce house blown up, and an outdoor table set with a bucket of forks, knifes, spoons, and an ice cream station. They were having a party. And wanted ME, just ME nobody else, to watch over the kids. The kids started to pile in with more and more moms with their kids. In the end, around 15 kids were there, from the ages of 1 YEAR OLD, to 6 YEARS OLD. Very young.

I have babysat kids around those ages before, but 2 at a time. Not 15. I was completely shocked. And the mom was so casual about it. Not anything like, oh sorry, I forgot to mention. Nothing. When I was out of the 6 moms sight, I quickly texted my mom to vent and explain how many kids I was watching. My mom could here and see all the kids from next door. I then went back to watching the kids as they played on the bounce house, shoved each other, ate pizza, make ice cream, and keep playing. I ended up staying a bit over the time she asked as well, because not everyone was gone yet. Also, tomorrow is the first day of school.

I just feel like I just waisted the last HOURS of my summer. I had no plans today, except to go to the mall and get my nails done, and I finished that before I babysat, but I would’ve much rather sat on my couch while watching some tv. Instead, I watched 15 kids, and got paid 30 dollars. I don’t usually care about how much or little I get paid when babysitting, but I was disappointed.

I usually charge 13 dollars per hour, which my mom says isn’t a lot, and whenever I tell people they say to raise my rates. I don’t care, because I enjoy hanging out and watching kids. But when I charge 13 dollars an hour, that for 1-4 kids. Not 15. I get it I got paid 15 dollars an hour, but I was watching 15 kids, I was expecting more. And when I told my mom when I got home, she thought I deserved ATLEAST 50 if not more. Also, I’m on my period and have cramps, it was painful to be standing for all that time that I was, and this is one of the first times I’ve had cramps, I’m not used to it. So I wasted the last hours of my summer, and did that in pain. The Mom asked me if I would ever do something like this again, and I said yes to be polite, but honestly, I don’t ever want to babysit this family again, no matter how many kids I’m babysitting. So, AITA for not wanting to babysit this family ever again?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Speak for yourself, I store my shower beer under my shower chair.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

added spacing. When I worked as a birthday balloon twister ages before Covid, this happened to me once. Never again.

AITA for NEVER wanting to babysit this family again

Letting it happen once is a mistake, too. The only valid response is a lol, maybe a lmao for good measure, as you walk directly through the nearest loving exit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, if the contract was "just the twins" then you either hike up the rate tenfold to make up for the number of kids or leave.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my sister her son is only special to her

AITA: Suprised husband at airport with kids after being away for almost 4 days.

No takesy-backsies!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
1 minder for 15 kids is a ratio bad enough that it's an outright safety hazard

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

trickybiscuits posted:

…A lot of older guys want a young, cute-ish woman to be their little audience to their not-that-great stories...
Yeah, this is Elizabeth Holmes’ MO. It was never about sexy, at least for most of the board, it was about teary-eyed respect.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

haveblue posted:

1 minder for 15 kids is a ratio bad enough that it's an outright safety hazard

i wonder what the plan was if one of the kids got hurt. "oh sorry, we're not liable; you need to go after the child that we tricked into watching your kids"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not notifying a students parent about a student starting her period?

quote:

I27f am a 5th grade teacher. This is my first year teaching. Yesterday, one of my students came up to me and asked me if I had any pads or if she could go to the clinic. I had some of my own, so I gave her one, told her to let me know if she needed anymore, and went on with my day. She sounded like she had done this before, and she didn’t ask questions so I guess I just didn’t think to ask questions either because she knew what she needed. That evening I got an email from said students mom, stating that their daughter got their first period in my class, and wanted to know why I didn’t call home. I responded apologizing, saying I was unaware it was her first. This morning I woke up to another email saying my apology was not accepted, and that I was extremely unprofessional, and that it is my job to notify parents about these things and not give out my personal products.

Aita?

Yeah, don't give a girl period products, it'll just encourage her to have more!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for being disappointed in a birthday gift from my girlfriend?

quote:

I (23 M) have been dating my current girlfriend (21 F) for the past 18 months, and throughout our entire relationship she has been aware I’m a huge PlayStation fanboy. I grew up playing on my PS2, have always loved their exclusive games, and constantly play my PS4 at our apartment even today.

I made my love for these games and consoles exceedingly clear to her and occasionally talk her ear off about them. Unfortunately, due to financial circumstances, I have been unable to purchase a PlayStation 5, despite wanting one since release. Despite my financial circumstances; however, I have always spent a lot of money on birthday and valentine gifts for my girlfriend as I place high importance on gift giving and receiving as a love language.

Last year for my birthday my girlfriend only took me out for dinner, and while I was disappointed, at the time she was unemployed so I was satisfied with my gift. This year, though, she has a full-time job so my expectations were higher, especially after she asked me outright what I wanted. I explained to her that, unsurprisingly, I wanted a PlayStation 5 and that it would make my year. She told me she’d see what she could do.

My birthday was last week and when I got home I was eagerly anticipating my PlayStation 5 to be waiting for me. My girlfriend called me to our room and told me she had made us dinner reservations at my favorite restaurant. While I was slightly disappointed that this might be my only gift, I was still holding out hope that she’d surprise me with the PlayStation when we got back home.

When we got home; however, instead she gave me a handmade photo album binder with all of her favorite pictures of me and her together that must’ve cost less than $40 to make. I was extremely and visibly disappointed and asked her what happened to the PlayStation? She asked me if that was seriously all I had to say and then asked me if I didn’t care at all about the effort she put in for my gift. I told her I didn’t care about photos that I could just look at on my phone, and that I didn’t understand why she couldn’t have just bought me the PS5. She called me an ungrateful rear end in a top hat and left to a friends house. I have texted her multiple times since explaining that I’ve never had a problem spending upwards of $500 on a gift for her and that gifts are important to me but she hasn’t responded.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for being disappointed?

Update: I woke up this morning to a “we’re through” text from my gold digger of an ex girlfriend. You guys have been nothing but extremely pressed towards me, but I now understand I should only be looking for relationships with people who can match the type of gifts and money I put in. Took y’all’s advice and bought myself the PlayStation, and so far it’s already better than my girlfriend! Thank y’all for the opinions.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The gall of this loving guy to claim that she's the gold-digger. She's not the one basing her feelings on whether or not her partner buys her a material gift, fuckface.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

what a prince

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

It’s just bait and funny how many people believe it. Literally not a single post on his side and none saying he should buy it himself that I saw. He just already had the update planned when he wrote it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unfortunately, due to financial circumstances, I have been unable to purchase a PlayStation 5, despite wanting one since release. (...) I’ve never had a problem spending upwards of $500 on a gift for her.
There's no way this is real. Anybody who self-describes themselves as a "huge PlayStation fanboy" isn't waiting three full years to buy themselves a PS5 if they simultaneously have the money/willingness to spend upwards of $500 on gifts for others.

Especially since the original post was four days ago and his update says he bought one in the intervening days. Really? He apparently had easy access to the money...but somehow just never thought to buy one himself? Not a loving chance.

EDIT: That said, let's pay the "calling it fake" tax with some paint-related drama:
AITA for refusing to repaint my niece's nursery?

quote:

Back when my sister was pregnant with her daughter she asked me if I would paint the nursery for her. She wanted this really detailed job done and wanted her daughter's name, Melody, painted on the wall. I wasn't sure about it because my sister is known to take advantage of me being her older brother. But I ultimately agreed because I figured I would just set boundaries. She was impossible to work with, pushed my boundaries, and I was working on it a lot longer than intended because of how much she wanted done and how detailed she was about everything. It took 2 weeks of me doing a few hours every day for her to be okay with it. I told her I was done and said she'd need to find someone else for the next kid if she has one.

My niece was born a week ago and my sister changed her mind about the name because she said it was too similar to my daughter's name. So she decided on the name Birdie for her daughter. Cool. She told me I'd need to fix the name in the nursery and I told her no, she'll have to find someone else to fix the name in the nursery because I won't be doing that again. She said it will look off if done by someone else and I told her it was not my problem.

She yelled at me and then she tried to get my wife to change my mind. My wife told her where to go and said she had taken up so much of my time on the nursery anyway that she was rude to demand more. I was pissed when my sister went to my wife behind my back. I was so drat proud of my wife for not letting my sister make those demands.

My sister told me I'm being a dick and her daughter doesn't deserve for me to be petty over our issues.

AITA?
Lol at mom changing the name after insisting it be painted on the wall. The truly petty move would be for him to just consistently call her Melody, pointing to the wall of the room as proof.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 30, 2023

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

AITA for refusing to repaint my niece's nursery?
This poo poo is 100% the reason I no longer do jobs for family. Or make wedding dresses, but frankly no one should do that willingly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That poor daughter, cursed to grow up to be a 200 centimeter tall british punk with a sick mohawk.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Original name was Catherine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shame that’s fake because “bought myself the PlayStation, and so far it’s already better than my girlfriend!” would be a great thread title