Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Well that's a shame. I liked Desperados 3 quite a bit and Shadow Tactics is obviously an excellent game. Didn't play Shadow Gambit, or even hear about it, though.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

That's a bummer, I've always been a big Commandos fan so their output was totally my jam. I hope everyone working there is able to move forward in a positive way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would seem that THIS gambit... was declined!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haldolium posted:

rather odd all in all

yeah, that's not odd at all. they said why they're doing what they're doing and it's perfectly sensible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Propaganda Hour posted:

Well that's a shame. I liked Desperados 3 quite a bit and Shadow Tactics is obviously an excellent game. Didn't play Shadow Gambit, or even hear about it, though.

i think it's just come out.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah just had the misfortune of coming out in a time of heavy hitters. so in terms of raising funding it's not going to look great even if it's an amazing to play game

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they make extremely niche games and have hit their limit in being able to make a profit on them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well for what it is worth I hope this gives others in the thread to get those games when they have a chance.

They are good games ya’ll

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll buy any dlc for shadow gambit and pine for what might have been. that's really all there is to do.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Farthest Frontier. It's getting close to full release so they're probably planning what to do next. It's pretty good and has the best farming system of any city builder, but it hasn't been nearly as financially successful as Grim Dawn (<1 million copies sold) so they're probably itching to get back to raking in money with relatively lower-effort expansions to a game that sold 5-10 million copies on Steam and however many more on xbox. It doesn't help that Farthest Frontier started EA at a time when there was a glut of city builders on the market and it will be hitting full release within the vicinity of Cities Skylines 2 - it's totally competent and has some neat twists on the genre but it's overshadowed by its competition.

Eh idk I read this way differently.

quote:

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of Farthest Frontier’s early-access launch and we’re incredibly pleased with how the game has been received and has sold thus far. Already nearing a million copies sold, with a current 30-day user rating of 88% and average monthly player numbers that are often double or triple what Grim Dawn saw during early-access, Farthest Frontier is so far outperforming Grim Dawn’s early-access run by every metric.

We think an especially positive sign of our success in early-access though is that Farthest Frontier has maintained a higher user rating than Grim Dawn at its lowest points and we’ve been steadily increasing that as we’ve continually refined, optimized and expanded Farthest Frontier over the course of the last year. Grim Dawn currently stands at 93% positive and we are confident, in time, through our continued effort, we will get Farthest Frontier up to that level of player enjoyment or beyond.

Like sure FF hasn’t outsold GD yet or anything, but launch-aligned it looks to be a substantially more successful product.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Has anyone here played Alchemist Adventure, and what are your thoughts on it?

It looks like an action-platform-puzzler. I'm thinking that it should be at least worth $5 (current GoG price since it's going to be delisted there in a couple days). Does it control well with KBM or does it need a controller to not play like butt? Does it play like butt no matter what? Reviews say the interface is clunky and other than for healing, potions aren't usually very useful (which seems like a flaw in a game with Alchemist in the title). There weren't a lot of reviews, though, so I'm not sure what's what.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 30, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't know anything about that game, but I feel $5 or less is prime "take a risk" territory, because what are you really risking at that point? Some people spend more on a single coffee, and it's hard to find a decent meal for that much even in fast food.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Blasphemous 2 is really incredible. It might be better than 1. They added some neat new mechanics that work well and bosses are great so far

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Propaganda Hour posted:

Desperados 3 and Shadow Tactics each had their own publisher, but Shadow Gambit was funded through game funds and self-published. I wonder if not having the backing of a publisher's marketing department made the difference here, I barely noticed any marketing for Shadow Gambit and mainly heard of it here.

I also wonder if, behind the scenes, Mimimi was having issues with publishers. Considering they've had to keep switching publishers, from Daedalic to THQ Nordic, then to self-publishing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There’s no need to speculate? They said explicitly that securing funding was a huge chore/battle and that their ambitions were beginning to outstrip their willingness to sacrifice work/life balance. Small ultra niche studios often jump publishers between games because securing funding from a large or even middling publisher to then see the returns for a Commandos-like or whatever is probably a huge uphill battle for more funding for a second similar return.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
turbo overkill's difficulty ramps up fast once you get the final weapon. really encourages you to use all your toys

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

turbo overkill's difficulty ramps up fast once you get the final weapon. really encourages you to use all your toys

I never did use the plasma gun very much, since its primary isn't hitscan and its microwave secondary is trying to compete with the CHEGG

the projectile catcher upgrade is clutch against one of the end bosses though

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oxxidation posted:

This really is a great game, might edge out DUSK as my favourite boomer shooter if episode 3 keeps at it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Macichne Leainig posted:

I wouldn't say odd, it sounds like they're doing what's ultimately best for their well being :shrug:

Mindblast posted:

Not sure what is odd here. Building good games isn't easy and neither is running a small company.

well odd in the sense that they're doing this in foresight which is uncommon, and with not being very unsuccessful. Its still good (if true) to take that step before everything breaks apart, obviously.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey, Call of the Wild: The Angler popped up on Gamepass today. I remember there being a lot of negative reviews about this at launch; bad animations, not a lot to do, etc. Seems like they may have been updating it quite a bit since then though. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah sweet, that War For The Overworld game someone mentioned the other day while discussing Dungeon Keeper is on sale for $6. Snagged it last night and got through the first 3 levels.
Fun but man I am so bad at RTS games. I don't know how to break the habit of turning every level into an hour long slog as I build up an army and then steamroll my enemy.

The controls do feel a little clunky, I guess I probably need to start creating Warbands and assigning individual monsters to it because right now I'm just throwing down Rally banners to summon all my bois to one single spot and hoping they attack what I want them to. But then I just seem to get stuck in a tug of war with my Workers and the NPCs Workers trying to claim land back and forth nonstop. And I can't really seem to figure out how to like direct some of my guys to attack a Trap (or to avoid a trap if I've created a safe passageway deeper into an enemy base)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

New game by the dev of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2165130/Hymn_to_the_Earless_God/

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 30, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone know why my Xbox controller would suddenly be doing mouse/keyboard inputs all the time when not playing something on Steam? I used to have to hold the xbox button down which would then let me move the mouse cursor with RS and click with the bumpers, etc, which it does still do when I'm playing a game through Steam, but now if I'm not playing something on Steam but it is still running in the background, my mouse cursor is going nuts and I'm clicking on stuff on my second monitor and it's a huge annoyance unless I quit Steam. I know I can disable the cursor movement in the controller settings but I like how it worked before and would rather not disable it altogether. Of course google has been no help because I just get dozens of AI generated articles explaining how to disable steam controller input.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's the steam controller "desktop configuration" settings which are mostly stupid bullshit designed for steam machine consoles and the opposite of useful on any normal i-already-have-a-keyboard pc.
What you want to do is go to "settings->controller->Non-game controller layouts" and edit the desktop layout to blank it out or set it to normal controller buttons instead of keyboard/mouse BS.

To do different stuff while holding the home button you can edit the "guide button chord layout", but it looks like the behavior you described is the default settings:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's the steam controller "desktop configuration" settings which are mostly stupid bullshit designed for steam machine consoles and the opposite of useful on any normal i-already-have-a-keyboard pc.
What you want to do is go to "settings->controller->Non-game controller layouts" and edit the desktop layout to blank it out or set it to normal controller buttons instead of keyboard/mouse BS.

To do different stuff while holding the home button you can edit the "guide button chord layout", but it looks like the behavior you described is the default settings:

I will have to try this also. Mine started continually opening the chat box on diablo every time I hit "A" fairly recently and I've just been dealing with it by shutting down steam before I start it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I usually just disable steam input for desktop config if I know thats gonna mess up a game. You do have to restart steam in order to turn it back on again, which is mildly annoying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Thank you! That worked like a charm. I was in that menu but wasn't sure if clearing those out would make the button chord thing not work but it looks like it does still work even with all the desktop layout blanked out.

human of smells
Aug 25, 2023
HYENAS closed beta keys.
IKF26-T4Z3C-EZEAI
L67ZC-5GTIC-ZTBP2

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

human of smells posted:

HYENAS closed beta keys.
IKF26-T4Z3C-EZEAI

Took this, thanks! Had no idea what this is but it sounds neat.

Edit: I remember seeing this trailer now. The people complaining in the steam forum that they're making this game instead of improving Total War Warhammer III is pretty funny.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
thanks i took the other one

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wow, this is loving whack. This game is good as hell.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Honestly disappointed that they didn’t find a way to transfer leadership of the studio or hire a new lead. I guess I can’t speak for them but if you have a great team that works well together it seems like a shame to just disband the whole thing and put everyone back out on the job market.

If it’s what they absolutely needed to do for their own well-being, that’s understandable I suppose.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

that looks sick as hell

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Stickman posted:

Honestly disappointed that they didn’t find a way to transfer leadership of the studio or hire a new lead. I guess I can’t speak for them but if you have a great team that works well together it seems like a shame to just disband the whole thing and put everyone back out on the job market.

If it’s what they absolutely needed to do for their own well-being, that’s understandable I suppose.

They're a student team made good so they were probably beyond ready to work in a different context

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

fez_machine posted:

They're a student team made good so they were probably beyond ready to work in a different context

Ah, thanks. Good on them then! :)

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Owl Inspector posted:

Honestly I love when games only have the most basic implementation of a crime system so accidentally picking up someone's picnic lunch makes every cop in town want to fight me to the death

That's called being a minority in the US

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Imagine playing Starfield today when there's going to be new Powerwash levels to clean smh

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd kill for more Hardspace: Shipbreaker content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Just grabbed the new TMNT Shredder's Revenge DLC and the game instacrashes on launch even after file verification. Anyone else having dramas?