Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Peter Daou is antivaxx or something now, another brain melted

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1696236470967599405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Baddog posted:

You'd think that anything signed *while bad thing is actually happening* wouldn't be binding. There's an implicit threat there.

In any case, good luck goon.

yeah but you need a lawyer to argue this and most won't bother. the legal term is under duress. you can also argue you weren't not mentally capable at the time (meds, pain, etc) to consent.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vox Nihili posted:

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1696512154575184237?t=qxJa6QH53QWQ08ttY20RIw&s=19

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anyone who calls a covid vaccine 'the jab' is crazy, it seems

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

anyone who calls a covid vaccine 'the jab' is crazy, it seems

yeah we already know the Brits are nuts

Baddog
May 12, 2001
nexous, you made me do some research... this isn't anything like injecting contrast into the wrong place, but when I went under last week the propofol burned like *hell*. Never had it feel like that before.

I guess I'm old enough that I was just "ehhh whatever I don't think I'm dying they'll figure it out zzzzzzz", and then afterwards was just glad it was all over. But it looks like *normally* they put some lidocaine in to avoid the burn? I guess this anesthesiologist just rawdogged me! Maybe there is a lidocaine shortage, lol. Or with the opioid crisis, *anything* that takes the edge off is just verboten now? Pain is good for us, purifies the soul.

Baddog has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Vox Nihili posted:

(..)

The "you are immune, act like it" bit did immeasurable damage :eng99:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

nexous posted:

(..)
also results are in and sound promising but I’m no dr

Good to hear the results sound promising at least, because this all sounds immensely stressful.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wrex Ruckus posted:

sorry jokes about dog murder are only acceptable in the form of a months long banner ad

What about pit bulls, I've heard things....

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Baddog posted:

nexous, you made me do some research... this isn't anything like injecting contrast into the wrong place, but when I went under last week the propofol burned like *hell*. Never had it feel like that before.

I guess I'm old enough that I was just "ehhh whatever I don't think I'm dying they'll figure it out zzzzzzz", and then afterwards was just glad it was all over. But it looks like *normally* they put some lidocaine in to avoid the burn? I guess this anesthesiologist just rawdogged me! Maybe there is a lidocaine shortage, lol. Or with the opioid crisis, *anything* that takes the edge off is just verboten now? Pain is good for us, purifies the soul.

I've had propofol and I don't recall any burning. And yeah, my reaction was much the same of "well theres not really anything I can do here and I really need this MRI so lets try again"

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Koirhor posted:

honestly how dare anyone even test for covid at this point

Lmao, I was going looking at our favorite doctor Vinay Prasad to find a tweet that agreed with you and got distracted by apparently he's now saying that cancer screening is just completely overhyped and we shouldn't even bother doing it either??

https://twitter.com/chr1sa/status/1696291973949264335

Edit: for the SAD reader, I am posting this not because I'm endorsing the content, but rather to mock this. Please go and get checked for cancer when you are able to

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Aug 29, 2023

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Another OP note: for me the link for 9210 Auras leads to a 404 error page, both on mobile and chromebook

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I have seen a few of these recently. Articles coming from a sort of "soft middle" questioning the wisdom of the current course of action (the article isn't worth reading, but the headline is):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/29/covid-cases-are-surging-we-need-more-from-government-than-keep-coughing-and-carry-on posted:

Covid cases are surging. We need more from government than ‘Keep coughing and carry on’
Almost a year after Joe Biden declared the pandemic over, coronavirus is still officially a ‘global health risk’. So what are the authorities in the US and UK doing about it?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

nexous posted:

So I got my MRI, had to take off my Vflex and they had no surgical so I raw dogged it. Then apparently they messed up my IV so they injected the contrast into not a vein and it burned like the dickens. I mashed the alert button but the MRI tech said that was normal and it took me 5 minutes to convince them it was not normal because I’ve had it before. They went and asked the radiologist and all of a sudden there’s several new unmasked people in the room telling me to sign some document and that this happens sometimes just ice it down when you get home. They re-IV the other arm and complete the MRI and glad to get out of the maskless hellhole.

Obviously really sorry you went through that.

Not sure if it's worth putting in the OP that there are some respirators that have absolutely no metal and are OK in an MRI, like these from moldex: https://www.moldex.com/product/2600-n95-series-respirator/ or https://www.moldex.com/product/4600-n95-airwave-pleated-easy-breathing-respirator/ Usually available from grainger.
They're not very adjustable so if they don't fit your face, well, they don't fit your face. And of course ymmv because you never know what a MRI tech is going to say, but it definitely won't set off the little metal detectors, because there's none in there. I've personally gone through an MRI with a 2600 shown there.

Also some (not all!) half-mask elastomerics have no metal. Though at least one model I tried has a screw.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:coronatoot:

https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_media_wire/4176982-26-states-see-substantial-spike-in-covid-hospitalizations-cdc-says/ posted:

26 states see ‘substantial’ spike in COVID hospitalizations, CDC says

The summer surge in COVID-19 spread could extend into fall. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said hospitalizations rose yet again last week by another 19%. Deaths from the virus also saw a large jump: 21% in one week.

The spread of the virus appears to be a problem just about everywhere. Only a few states – Alaska, New Hampshire and North Dakota – saw COVID-related hospital admissions drop last week.

The other 47 states saw hospitalizations remain stable or increase. More than half of states – 26 to be exact – experienced a “substantial increase” in people being admitted with COVID-19, the CDC said.
(..)
In the meantime, things might get worse as students head back to classrooms and dorm rooms.

“Overall, I would expect cases and hospitalizations to increase
– then decrease again before they rise in the late fall and early winter,” said Dr. Peter Chin-Hong, an infectious disease expert at UCSF, when asked about back-to-school season’s impact on COVID spread.

“This has been the pattern for the past three years and may be where COVID may settle to: a smaller swell in the summer and a larger increase in cases in the late fall and winter,” he said.
(..)

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Rescue Toaster posted:

Not sure if it's worth putting in the OP that there are some respirators that have absolutely no metal and are OK in an MRI, like these from moldex: https://www.moldex.com/product/2600-n95-series-respirator/ or https://www.moldex.com/product/4600-n95-airwave-pleated-easy-breathing-respirator/ Usually available from grainger.
They're not very adjustable so if they don't fit your face, well, they don't fit your face. And of course ymmv because you never know what a MRI tech is going to say, but it definitely won't set off the little metal detectors, because there's none in there. I've personally gone through an MRI with a 2600 shown there.

Also some (not all!) half-mask elastomerics have no metal. Though at least one model I tried has a screw.

I think MRI safe masks are def good info to have in the OP. There's also the Redimasks

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao, I was going looking at our favorite doctor Vinay Prasad to find a tweet that agreed with you and got distracted by apparently he's now saying that cancer screening is just completely overhyped and we shouldn't even bother doing it either??

https://twitter.com/chr1sa/status/1696291973949264335

Edit: for the SAD reader, I am posting this not because I'm endorsing the content, but rather to mock this. Please go and get checked for cancer when you are able to

econlib
econtalker
econtalk.org

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
anyone got that study about Covid infection and impulse control handy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

Facetoucher cat did nothing wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wb iron crowned

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Over. :colbert:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Dogs rule but i doubt the qcs losers have ever made it out of their techbro lairs to even meet a single good boy. at the most they run an emulation of nintendogs

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

genericnick posted:

wb iron crowned

In the trash like a pair of spent mask filters.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
it’s sad every time I see someone get perma banned and I had no idea they were a crazy weirdo

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

nexous posted:

it’s sad every time I see someone get perma banned and I had no idea they were a crazy weirdo

big same. I remember Whippit earlier, kind of sad to see how they ended up. It was a called for perma, but the fact it was called for is depressing.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Rescue Toaster posted:

Obviously really sorry you went through that.

As an actual MRI tech here, more often than not yall are not going to have a good time trying to keep your bane masks on in the tube. We don't trust anything for good reason and generally speaking unless there is actual testing by the manufacturer or otherwise information by the manufacturer about mri safety it's gonna be a no from most techs. Would recommend calling the place well in advance to speak to a technologist about keeping the mask on and if that'll be ok etc. Also I'd warn that if you're getting any imaging of the brain/head/possibly cervical/thoracic spine depending on the coil configuration it will be impossible to keep a respirator on regardless of metal as it will physically not fit.

Also good form on the tech to just tell you it's normal for the contrast to burn because that's like the first immediate indication of extravasation (gadolinium contrast injection should never give a sustained burning sensation beyond maybe the initial seconds for other physiological reasons)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
when did Pillow Pants start working for BNO News?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I got a giant head and my secureclick would have fit and I don’t think it has any metal but I’m not about to argue with my tech. I gladly took off my mask when it was just me and her because whatever, it’s just surprising when a bunch more people barged in.

I just knew it was wrong because it hurt and I didn’t feel like I was peeing. arms getting red and itchy hope it doesn’t get any worse because lol.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
grab a pack of readimasks if you need another, they have an MRI safe printout on their site and no metal whatsoever. the technologist was extremely chill about it for my partner's MRI

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nexous posted:

it was less of a CYA document and more of a here’s what to do thing.

admittedly I did not read it before signing cause I was having anxiety.

in case you want to doxx me here’s what I signed under coercion

edit: will repost better redacted img

should've just sucked the contrast out, now you've got to deal with this poo poo for 3 days.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

fosborb posted:

Bbbut where are the borderlines? This is offensive!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Pretty grim.
"Long COVID Recovery Remains Rare. Doctors Are Struggling to Understand Why"

https://time.com/6309054/long-covid-recovery-rare/ posted:

Since August 2020, David Putrino, director of rehabilitation innovation at New York’s Mount Sinai Health System, has helped treat more than 3,000 people with Long COVID. These patients, in his experience, fit into one of three groups.

A small number, no more than 10%, have stubborn symptoms that don’t get better, no matter what Putrino and his team try. A big chunk see some improvement, but remain sick. And about 15% to 20% report full recovery—an elusive benchmark that Putrino greets with cautious optimism.

“I call it ‘fully recovered for now,’” Putrino says, since lots of people’s symptoms eventually come back, sometimes if they catch COVID-19 again, which can land them back at square one.

Putrino’s outlook isn’t purposely gloomy; it’s one informed by the difficult realities of treating Long COVID, a condition with no known cure and is defined by long-lasting symptoms following a case of COVID-19.
(..)
How can multiple studies on the same topic reach such different conclusions? The way they’re designed can make a difference, Putrino says. Some Long COVID research uses data drawn from patients’ health records. In these studies, Putrino says, researchers sometimes assume symptoms have resolved if someone stops coming in for care. But there are lots of other reasons someone might stop seeing their doctor: financial constraints, frustration that treatments aren’t working, health declining to the point that leaving home becomes difficult, and so on.

“Recovery” can also be defined differently. Is it a complete resolution of symptoms, or improving enough that someone can function despite their ill health? Once researchers start splitting those hairs, Al-Aly says, they often find that someone “didn’t really recover; they adjusted to a new baseline.”

For that reason, research that takes into account patients’ own perceptions of their symptoms and recovery is important. That’s what Mateu and her team did. For two years, they tracked Long COVID patients who’d sought care at a hospital in Badalona, Spain, periodically asking about their symptoms during face-to-face visits and performing secondary diagnostic tests when necessary. With that level of scrutiny, Mateu says, the vast majority of patients did not meet their definition of recovery: the resolution of all persistent symptoms for at least three consecutive months.
(..)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Psycho Society posted:

grab a pack of readimasks if you need another, they have an MRI safe printout on their site and no metal whatsoever. the technologist was extremely chill about it for my partner's MRI

probably as a last reminder but i posted a while ago that i have a bunch of spare masks i can ship or hand off, including some readimasks. no charge for shipping or masks. check my previous posts itt for the detailed version

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pingui posted:

Pretty grim.
"Long COVID Recovery Remains Rare. Doctors Are Struggling to Understand Why"

probably shouldn't have just let everybody get it then

:shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Show yourself Erin (I enjoyed the whole piece, so just an excerpt):
"COVID cases are rising, and all eyes are on new variant BA.2.86 ‘Pirola.’ Should masks make a comeback?"

https://fortune.com/well/2023/08/29/when-wear-mask-covid-omicron-priola-ba286-triplemidec-flu-season/ posted:

U.S. COVID cases are once again at a high plateau, climbing to heights not seen since late last winter.

With all eyes on the new, highly mutated COVID variant “Pirola” BA.2.86 and respiratory virus season on its way, is it time to start masking again?

Though not always en vogue politically or much fun, it was never not time to mask, many experts contend—not since COVID began circulating widely in 2020, anyway. And while masking might not be necessary in all situations (think: outdoors), it can certainly still behoove you—especially in some circumstances.
(..)
‘Learning to live’ with the virus—wisely
For years, public health officials have said society would need to “learn to live” with COVID. But doing so should have included guidelines on when to mask, based on levels of community transmission, Raj Rajnarayanan, assistant dean of research and associate professor at the New York Institute of Technology campus in Jonesboro, Ark., and a top COVID-variant tracker, tells Fortune.

“We don’t have proactive non-pharmacological approaches,” Rajnarayanan says. “We’re always reactive.”

Unfortunately, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention no longer offers a map illustrating levels of community spread. (The map was inaccurate for a while anyway, reflecting hospital bed availability in an area instead of viral activity.) And while the agency does offer a map that shows the percent of COVID tests returning positive by U.S. region, those numbers are likely to be skewed by near all-time low levels of testing. (Read: Things may appear worse than they actually are.)
(..)
The threat of long COVID
Personal decisions on whether or not to mask should take into account the continuing threat of long COVID, experts say. Contrary to popular belief, it’s still possible to develop the condition—even if you didn’t the first time you got COVID. What’s more, it’s possible to develop long COVID after a mild case of the virus—not just with severe cases.

A few facts to keep in mind about the post-viral illness, according to recent research:
  • Long COVID can linger for at least two years, a study published this month in Nature Medicine confirmed.
  • For those hospitalized during their COVID illness, the risk of death and hospitalization remains “significantly elevated” for two years, according to the study.
  • For those who weren’t hospitalized during their COVID illness, the risk of death after COVID remained statistically significant for six months, researchers found. The risk of hospitalization remained elevated for about a year and a half.
  • Long COVID can be more fatiguing than some late-stage cancers, according to a study published in June in BMJ Open.
  • Functional impairment among long COVID patients is worse than that experienced by those who’ve had a stroke, and is similar to that experienced by patients with Parkinson’s disease, the study found.
  • What’s more, quality of life was generally better in stage 4 lung cancer patients than in long COVID patients, researchers found.
(..)
Another tip from Ray: Keep your cool, even if you’re surrounded by those whose opinions on masking differ. “Clashing with others who don’t wish to mask doesn’t tend to reduce risk,” he advises. Aside from the fact that people are rarely won over by arguments, such a situation could “prolong or intensify exposures, if tempers run high.” A yelling match could actually lead to greater volumes of the virus being expelled, if those yelling have COVID.

Good advice by Ray.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

We still need that video in OP, Fosborb.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Do people actually worry about this or just go to bed and sleep soundly knowing they're definitely totally hosed

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

The Oldest Man posted:

Do people actually worry about this or just go to bed and sleep soundly knowing they're definitely totally hosed

gently caress joe Biden

I worry about it and I have some of the best health insurance available. I’ve got plans to get all our assets in my wife’s name and divorce her if I have to declare bankruptcy due to medical debt. I shouldn’t have to wargames this scenario.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fosborb posted:

0 cases in yellow, 1 case in purple, with several colors between those two points wtf :psyduck:

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Aug 30, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nexous posted:

So I got my MRI, had to take off my Vflex and they had no surgical so I raw dogged it. Then apparently they messed up my IV so they injected the contrast into not a vein and it burned like the dickens. I mashed the alert button but the MRI tech said that was normal and it took me 5 minutes to convince them it was not normal because I’ve had it before. They went and asked the radiologist and all of a sudden there’s several new unmasked people in the room telling me to sign some document and that this happens sometimes just ice it down when you get home. They re-IV the other arm and complete the MRI and glad to get out of the maskless hellhole.

loving yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nexous posted:

Few things have made me feel worse of the various medical hoops I've had to jump through as contrast for a CT scan. I don't know if it's the same thing as what you had but the burning sucks and then like my body had a weird fear response to it that just broke my brain for a few hours. I was fine after like four hours and a nap but that was a bad experience. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if coupled with an MRI instead of a CT scan because at least with a CT scan you're not completely encased.

Glad you seem to be okay through it.

E: Funny how nostalgia works though because my brain has definitely overwritten what my actual MRI was to that time I chilled out in a sensory deprivation chamber while I listened to some dude's Beach House playlist.

Rick has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Aug 30, 2023