Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qirex posted:

the only time I got was covid by going into the office on a day when I spoke to not a single other coworker outside of teams meetings just to make my monthly number

fortunately my boss and I talked my skip level into reclassifying me as full time remote after that

The team that sent the pissy rto email intentionally excluded our managers and skips, and I’m a relatively senior guy here (L6 in Amazon speak). We got the email directly and they were notified after. It caused a huge stir and my manager said that was a miscalculation on their part but I think they knew exactly what they were doing: they were signaling that your manager can’t save you from this, you have to come in.

When they had those layoffs months ago those people were not selected by their managers, the names were handed down from on high. So the idea that Amazon has some list of people they’re gonna fire based on attendance with no direct manager oversight is a real concern to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

well-read undead posted:

i was already feeling pissed off about work poo poo today, now i additionally feel pissed off on your behalf. that's some bullshit

Thank you goon we’re all in this together :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
sounds like y'all should have some some of collective bargaining union perhaps

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
it seems like it would be relatively straightforward for google to allow users who are authed with youtube or gmail or whatever to flag domains they never want to see in search results. this would immediately improve search for everyone by allowing them to start torpedoing SEOed spam sites, and even provide a strong incentive for using a google account. over time perhaps they could incorporate domain block statistics into how they weight search results in general

but no, instead we get llm garbage features

fun game: try to guess as many of the top 10 blocked domains on kagi as you can before checking the table here: https://kagi.com/stats

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ADINSX posted:

Thank you goon we’re all in this together :(

i'm sorry you're deep in this poo poo, and i hope you're in a place where you can walk away if you need to.

the best possible outcome from managers deciding they can mandate rto again is that they just start bleeding talent

i mean, there's a recession on and all, but if you can afford to, gently caress 'em.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

it seems like it would be relatively straightforward for google to allow users who are authed with youtube or gmail or whatever to flag domains they never want to see in search results. this would immediately improve search for everyone by allowing them to start torpedoing SEOed spam sites, and even provide a strong incentive for using a google account. over time perhaps they could incorporate domain block statistics into how they weight search results in general

this was literally a feature added back in 1999 or so that they since removed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

fun game: try to guess as many of the top 10 blocked domains on kagi as you can before checking the table here: https://kagi.com/stats

wait why is w3schools on there

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i'm sorry you're deep in this poo poo, and i hope you're in a place where you can walk away if you need to.

the best possible outcome from managers deciding they can mandate rto again is that they just start bleeding talent

i mean, there's a recession on and all, but if you can afford to, gently caress 'em.

We have plenty saved up if worst comes to worse, but yeah times are so uncertain I’m not gonna walk away from a stable job.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

this was literally a feature added back in 1999 or so that they since removed
hell, half the time I'm trying to view a cached copy the option isn't there.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

wait why is w3schools on there

it's usually worse than the MDN docs for a given topic, but has better SEO

i think blocking it outright and placing it on the same level as pinterest is a bit unfair, but i can understand it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

hell, half the time I'm trying to view a cached copy the option isn't there.

i am never certain if that's because there is no cached copy or because their interface sucks rear end/is broken

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Internet Janitor posted:

it seems like it would be relatively straightforward for google to allow users who are authed with youtube or gmail or whatever to flag domains they never want to see in search results.

as was said, this used to be a feature; search results had icons next to them on hover that would let you remove sites from your results.

but even then, spam/seo domains are like amazon sixletters; you block 20, you'll see 50 new ones tomorrow

mystes posted:

It seems like sometimes if you search google for something that looks like a product, there will be a suggestion at the top that will add "reddit" to your search for you now. Maybe this is automatically generated based on what people are searching for but it's kind of funny because it feels like google is realizing that their search engine is broken and people have to add "reddit" and just offering that rather than fixing it

the buttons at the top used to be links to google's other search functions; videos, images, news, shopping, whatever.

at some point they started throwing in random unrelated poo poo and now it's impossible to tell which one is a google search type and which one is just another autocomplete option.

it's funny just how bad it's gotten.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

“At some point” is like three days ago.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

lmao github now advertising copilot on every file in our paid enterprise account

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pseudorandom name posted:

“At some point” is like three days ago.

it has been going on for quite some time, friend. you just hadn't seen it yet.

welcome to a/b testing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ADINSX posted:

The team that sent the pissy rto email intentionally excluded our managers and skips, and I’m a relatively senior guy here (L6 in Amazon speak). We got the email directly and they were notified after. It caused a huge stir and my manager said that was a miscalculation on their part but I think they knew exactly what they were doing: they were signaling that your manager can’t save you from this, you have to come in.

When they had those layoffs months ago those people were not selected by their managers, the names were handed down from on high. So the idea that Amazon has some list of people they’re gonna fire based on attendance with no direct manager oversight is a real concern to me

im being told to loving move or find a new job lol so im right there with ya buddy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*reads a dozen articles about chatgpt and does a huge bong hit*

How to Use AI to Talk to Whales—and Save Life on Earth

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

it really is a kick to the shin and i sometimes suspect that paid search will be the way to go* moving forward as everything must needs be monetised. there was another thread where someone was playing with kagi and i think it went generally positively

* if you exclude baidu or sogou

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

qirex posted:

hasn't amazon famously not had enough space for employees at their hq that led to 30+ minute bathroom waits and them renting event toilets to be trucked in?

is this separate from the problem where some of their buildings had enough space for the number of employees occupying them but the buildings were normal office space designed for a normal 50:50 gender ratio which led to urinal contention when filled with engineers?

e; lol https://www.geekwire.com/2015/amazon-employees-biggest-complaint-not-enough-mens-bathrooms-for-all-the-dudes/

quote:

“Whenever I needed to go to the bathroom, I went to the floors occupied by the rare teams that had more women than men,” that former employee wrote on Vice. “Amazon Apparel, Amazon Mom, Amazon Baby—these were the places where you had a better shot of getting a free stall in the men’s room. If you were really lucky, and your timing was right, you might even get the bathroom to yourself for a moment. It was a relief from the craziness of Amazon’s corporate culture. These were the best floors.”

“The worst floors were the ones dominated by engineers,” he added. “I regularly saw people bring their laptops into the bathroom, where they would sit on the toilet and write code.”

shackleford fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 29, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

as was said, this used to be a feature; search results had icons next to them on hover that would let you remove sites from your results.

but even then, spam/seo domains are like amazon sixletters; you block 20, you'll see 50 new ones tomorrow

the buttons at the top used to be links to google's other search functions; videos, images, news, shopping, whatever.

at some point they started throwing in random unrelated poo poo and now it's impossible to tell which one is a google search type and which one is just another autocomplete option.

im google With Cream

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Internet Janitor posted:

this would immediately escalate to shared blocklist (through an extension) and within no time, 20% of all users would block over half of the internet.
and since some of those sites that people will block are also paying advertisers, google can never allow that to happen

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
everything i've heard about working for aws sounds like the most absolute psycho poo poo, it's like the techfucker equivalent of goldman sachs in there

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the domain blacklisting feature of kagi alone made me strongly consider trying it

300 searches per month is a ridiculously small cap, though, and $25/month for unlimited searches seems steep

after all, you're still searching the same lovely high-noise-low-signal rapidly decaying web

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

the domain blacklisting feature of kagi alone made me strongly consider trying it

300 searches per month is a ridiculously small cap, though, and $25/month for unlimited searches seems steep

after all, you're still searching the same lovely high-noise-low-signal rapidly decaying web

it's still bing underneath too, which granted isn't terrible but it's not great either

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i use duckduckgo as my primary search engine, which is also bing, and at this point google's results have gotten so lovely there isn't even a discernible difference anymore

GIS is better than bing/ddg image search though (for now), but boy would i love to banish pinterest to the depths of hell

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pinterest is intensely gendered and advertisers want that bad. "the customer is not an idiot the customer is your wife" still holds, women spend 60-95% all consumer spending depending on sector

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
even on things women do not directly buy, you have "wife acceptance factor" which we should probably rename in 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Internet Janitor posted:

i use duckduckgo as my primary search engine, which is also bing, and at this point google's results have gotten so lovely there isn't even a discernible difference anymore

GIS is better than bing/ddg image search though (for now), but boy would i love to banish pinterest to the depths of hell

yeah it's remarkable how quickly duck duck go got parity with google by google declining in quality

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

haveblue posted:

even on things women do not directly buy, you have "wife acceptance factor" which we should probably rename in 2023

wet rear end factor

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the converse of this is that basically no advertiser wants reddit in part because of the intense gendering the other way of reddit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this dude sucks rear end and is ruining amazon. jorf bezors needs to come back and fix the company

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bezos would've executed all the firings by now, he wouldnt be more lenient in any way

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lady Radia posted:

wet rear end factor

give me everything you got for this tech rear end gadget

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the converse of this is that basically no advertiser wants reddit in part because of the intense gendering the other way of reddit

which is why reddit, despite the astroturfing, trolling, creative writing exercises, and general idiocy, is basically the only indexable text site other than wikipedia holding search engines together

are there people at google freaking out at this precipitous decline and proposing solutions that keep getting shot down, or is everyone in that org completely frog-boiled and blind to the fact that their central product is visibly collapsing into ash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

it's usually worse than the MDN docs for a given topic, but has better SEO

i think blocking it outright and placing it on the same level as pinterest is a bit unfair, but i can understand it

w3cschools is almost universally more useful because its basically a web "development" cheat sheet. MDN is like barely a level above reading an RFC

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

MDN has working examples you can copy\paste what the gently caress are you on about shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like compare this: https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_selectors.php
to this: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_selectors

The w3cschools has a table with the selector, an example, and a description of what it does.

MDN is just a list of selectors with no information because they waste so much horizontal space on unnecessary padding and 2 navigation controls. they also have AI bullshit

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Internet Janitor posted:

are there people at google freaking out at this precipitous decline and proposing solutions that keep getting shot down, or is everyone in that org completely frog-boiled and blind to the fact that their central product is visibly collapsing into ash

the latter but i’m also partial to the crank theory that the whole seo/augury training/certification ecosystem pays serious kickbacks to google and that it’s a significant chunk of money

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Shaggar posted:

like compare this: https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_selectors.php
to this: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_selectors

The w3cschools has a table with the selector, an example, and a description of what it does.

MDN is just a list of selectors with no information because they waste so much horizontal space on unnecessary padding and 2 navigation controls. they also have AI bullshit

I didn't realize they redesigned the site recently so I'll concede this specific example but to counter it, https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/background-attachment is sufficient to explain and demonstrate with copy-able code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
w3cschools is literrally peak web design

look at this poo poo:

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/tryit.php?filename=trycss_background-attachment