Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

if i were rich, i'd just get a solar roof or something, make sure my house was fully wired with cat 6, maybe run a home server for fun, i don't know. every video linus has ever posted about his home "tech upgrades" make it all seem like a nightmare though. nothing seems to work, he can't even watch tv in his living room without the audio cutting out. who wants to live like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gremlins-dad-rear end MF

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

if i were rich, i'd just get a solar roof or something, make sure my house was fully wired with cat 6, maybe run a home server for fun, i don't know. every video linus has ever posted about his home "tech upgrades" make it all seem like a nightmare though. nothing seems to work, he can't even watch tv in his living room without the audio cutting out. who wants to live like this?

Someone who gets paid $100k/month to youtube influencer thumbnail face at said lovely television.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

Yep. Didn't even put up any bushes or anything. And the owner somehow got google to take down street view of the cul-de-sac so no one could witness his architectural abomination.

Gross. I'm in Coquitlam where the city is trying to increase the tree canopy (giving out free trees to plant etc) but at the same time just let anyone redeveloping a property to raze the entire thing down to the bare earth. It's super dumb.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Gross. I'm in Coquitlam where the city is trying to increase the tree canopy (giving out free trees to plant etc) but at the same time just let anyone redeveloping a property to raze the entire thing down to the bare earth. It's super dumb.

Thankfully the township has decreed that all developments that aren't "individual buys property, individual builds new house" have to commit to some percentage of green space. When one developer got the OK to build a pair of high-rises they had to commit to two public green spaces, an ecological area, and a park.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kazinsal posted:

Thankfully the township has decreed that all developments that aren't "individual buys property, individual builds new house" have to commit to some percentage of green space. When one developer got the OK to build a pair of high-rises they had to commit to two public green spaces, an ecological area, and a park.

They're not actually building those things, are they?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

They're not actually building those things, are they?

They are. About two thirds of the way done the structure.

It's impressive that the township got around to OKing high rises before the City -- y'know, where the fuckin SkyTrain is going to be going to -- bothered to think about redevelopment.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

MustardFacial posted:

I think it was 55-or 60K* for what was described as "you will be a solo admin and you are expected to have the knowledge of an Enterprise Architect, the drive of a business owner, and Linus/that other dude (Jake?) will shadow IT you at every opportunity." (not a direct quote, but the vibes I got from the job description)

*55-60K for the Metro Vancouver area is basically poverty wages.

The initial thought of "sysadmin for youtube computer man that isn't far from my house" turned sour real quick once I had read the whole job description.

Sheesh, I made 33%+ more 10 years ago in Metro Van just doing web frontend, 50%+ more by the time I left the job 4 years later, and I was still being finessed vs. my worth. What an absolute joke. Even the game studios in Van paid better back then. No wonder every time they do an extreme tech upgrade, they're in some cramped condo or apartment. I'm shocked we're not seeing more basement suites at that point.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

MustardFacial posted:

I think it was 55-or 60K* for what was described as "you will be a solo admin and you are expected to have the knowledge of an Enterprise Architect, the drive of a business owner, and Linus/that other dude (Jake?) will shadow IT you at every opportunity." (not a direct quote, but the vibes I got from the job description)

The initial thought of "sysadmin for youtube computer man that isn't far from my house" turned sour real quick once I had read the whole job description.

This tells me just how toxic the workplace probably is. The biggest red flag for a workplace I’ve found is that they demand extremely senior skill sets but then right in the job description blatantly list that they underpay the position by a huge amount.

It’s basically a job listing equivalent of a scam phone call. If you’re gullible enough or enough of an LTT fanboy to apply, that’s exactly who they want - someone who doesn’t known their own worth and will take whatever comes at them.

I guess there could just be pure incompetence involved but at this point I don’t have any good will left.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Kazinsal posted:

Someone who gets paid $100k/month to youtube influencer thumbnail face at said lovely television.

Bingo. If I was making anywhere near that kind of cash to be a Youtube celebrity, I'd probably pay a couple of little people to secretly live in my house and subtly gently caress around with channel projects, and it'd be like an 18-month saga where I gradually "catch on" to their existence and say stuff like "the printer's been reset again, it must've been the dwarfs again, guys I swear nobody believes me but those greasy ghouls are at it again!" and produce 45-minute videos analyzing blurry frames where they might have appeared on one of my other videos for a split second or while I was eating a sandwich on stream

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

This tells me just how toxic the workplace probably is. The biggest red flag for a workplace I’ve found is that they demand extremely senior skill sets but then right in the job description blatantly list that they underpay the position by a huge amount.

It’s basically a job listing equivalent of a scam phone call. If you’re gullible enough or enough of an LTT fanboy to apply, that’s exactly who they want - someone who doesn’t known their own worth and will take whatever comes at them.

I guess there could just be pure incompetence involved but at this point I don’t have any good will left.

I'm reminded of that ad that Rogue put out like ten years ago where they specifically mentioned wanting "hardcore unemployables" and the rest of the ad made it very clear that they wanted to exploit the hell out of whoever was desperate enough to apply for the job.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm reminded of that ad that Rogue put out like ten years ago where they specifically mentioned wanting "hardcore unemployables" and the rest of the ad made it very clear that they wanted to exploit the hell out of whoever was desperate enough to apply for the job.

in a functional society, this company would have been investigated by every branch and level of government the instant they posted that ad. god drat

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol the Fiesta ST has RGB interior lighting

depending on the model year, your cup holder lights up and also a little accent space above the glovebox

you push a button on the dash to change the color

All the colors look bad except for the dark red. That one was really nice.
Traded mine in a few weeks ago though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Always nice to be reminded of a classic.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I think that RGB lighting package was available in all the smaller Ford cars. It was in my cmax. Biggest complaint I had with it was it was pretty dim.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MustardFacial posted:

Doesn't LMGs servers keep making GBS threads the bed because Linus taps it for content by making Rube Goldberg contraptions instead of a real corporate solution

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Koskun posted:

If I remember right, the house had sat empty for a year or more, and was in the middle of a major remodel/renovation, then all work just stopped and the house went on the market. Most of the finish flooring wasn't there, a few rooms weren't finished or in a half-but-usable state. It also had some really tacky (by modern standards) treatments in a few rooms that really did need to go (their office was the worse). The biggest projects he did was the floor heating in the basement, and the pool, which the contractor left him high and dry (no pun intended), until he got to the point where he was threatening legal action. And no, it wasn't due to the water cooling pipes. That added a negligible cost to pouring the concrete for the pool.

I thought it was that he regrets how fast he went on the home automation, rather than waiting for items to actually mature. Example, all the switches he got, had the issue with the firmware (that the company addressed eventually), and now there's a newer better switch from someone that just works, but was a more advanced install. So he was either going to go back to just regular dumb switches, or pull everything out and use this new one.

A quick look, his upgrade video was posted 2 1/2 weeks ago.

RIP that man's ceiling.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

gradenko_2000 posted:

Doesn't LMGs servers keep making GBS threads the bed because Linus taps it for content by making Rube Goldberg contraptions instead of a real corporate solution

He's an adhd rear end in a top hat and proud

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The first time I heard of him was when he did a double hardware RAID setup and lost almost all of their data when misconfiguring a controller until it failed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

New LTT vid just dropped

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Ultraklystron posted:

Sheesh, I made 33%+ more 10 years ago in Metro Van just doing web frontend, 50%+ more by the time I left the job 4 years later, and I was still being finessed vs. my worth. What an absolute joke. Even the game studios in Van paid better back then. No wonder every time they do an extreme tech upgrade, they're in some cramped condo or apartment. I'm shocked we're not seeing more basement suites at that point.

Haha that's always stuck out to me. Every tech upgrade they did it's usually some tiny shoebox apartment or basement. It's quite jarring when the next video is Linus flailing around like a monkey in his GroverMcMansion.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

New LTT vid just dropped

First of "Please shut the gently caress up Linus and let other people talk about boring hardware" series of videos

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Looking at the job history of a lot of LMG staff, a lot of them are basically straight out of tertiary education who in some way lacked *something* to get an entry level job in their desired field.

A lot of these people could probably leave and find better work elsewhere but they feel a loyalty to the company, don’t know their value in the job market, and are terrified of leaving their job.

So you end up with guys like Luke who slave away to grow LMG, despite having zero share in the business for some god forsaken reason. Unless my salary was astronomically high, I would have left the minute I found out Linus cut me out of owning a share of the business.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah my thought was if you want an out of college job to just get something on a CV, a year at LMG gives you a known media company to stick on it at least.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yeah my thought was if you want an out of college job to just get something on a CV, a year at LMG gives you a known media company to stick on it at least.

And probably some pity marks from the next person who considers offering you a job at a functional company.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
Reheating the topic from a page or two ago, but LTT being computer top gear is right.

I grew up dreaming of owning nice computers and doing my own homelab and stuff. These days if I need to store a petabyte of data I just shove it into S3, and I’ve never been responsible for computer farms I could touch. Doing something dumb with PCIE extensions and misconfiguring a VM is fun to watch. Caring about doing it properly seems like work.

I have no interest in them doing serious reviews, I’m more likely to go rent a 16x.large from AWS to use personally than I am building the rig of my childhood dreams. I really like watching some rich idiots bumble their way through messing up on-prem file storage again and again though. I’m not sure there’s any other YouTube channel that scratches this same itch.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Jamus posted:

Reheating the topic from a page or two ago, but LTT being computer top gear is right.

I grew up dreaming of owning nice computers and doing my own homelab and stuff. These days if I need to store a petabyte of data I just shove it into S3, and I’ve never been responsible for computer farms I could touch. Doing something dumb with PCIE extensions and misconfiguring a VM is fun to watch. Caring about doing it properly seems like work.

I have no interest in them doing serious reviews, I’m more likely to go rent a 16x.large from AWS to use personally than I am building the rig of my childhood dreams. I really like watching some rich idiots bumble their way through messing up on-prem file storage again and again though. I’m not sure there’s any other YouTube channel that scratches this same itch.

The issue over the past year or so has become that they want to be seen as a serious reviewer. I've no doubt they will still do dumb/goofy videos, as that has been their key component. However, they seemingly know that on one hand "we're the goofy tech channel" and yet also go "we're doing serious reviews yo! why are you mocking us?" without a bit of irony.

Maybe if they spin off actual reviews to a whole new channel it might work. But given the level of mistakes they make over and over. That Linus cannot separate himself from the company. The culture he's created there. I would take a monumental shift for it to happen. And then they would just be back to where they were before the GN video came out. Pushing content to appease the algorithm, and the cycle just repeats.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Koskun posted:

The issue over the past year or so has become that they want to be seen as a serious reviewer. I've no doubt they will still do dumb/goofy videos, as that has been their key component. However, they seemingly know that on one hand "we're the goofy tech channel" and yet also go "we're doing serious reviews yo! why are you mocking us?" without a bit of irony.

Maybe if they spin off actual reviews to a whole new channel it might work. But given the level of mistakes they make over and over. That Linus cannot separate himself from the company. The culture he's created there. I would take a monumental shift for it to happen. And then they would just be back to where they were before the GN video came out. Pushing content to appease the algorithm, and the cycle just repeats.

I know a lot of people who watch GN for solid reviews but admit he's super dry and boring to watch whereas Linus's content if nothing else tends to at least entertain with stupid ideas like his insane PC builds. Linus definitely does not need to do serious reviews - his niche works well as it is and he's dipping his toes where he shouldn't be.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shipon posted:

Linus definitely does not need to do serious reviews - his niche works well as it is and he's dipping his toes where he shouldn't be.

People are already watching LTT for reviews, this labs thing is just putting a spit-shine on it.

The sort of people who sit down and squint at graphs and have opinions about frame generation and post on internet forums about how important cache vs total RAM pool is are very much in the minority. Your average person who upgrades to the current-gen mid-tier card every four years or so just wants a trustworthy looking talking head to say "this card, this card and this card are bad. This card and this card are amazing but expensive. If you're on a budget THIS card is the best one." They don't need the details, and they don't want the details. They want the 30 second tl;dr where Steve or Linus or whoever else just says "yo the 4060 sucks, don't buy it." If they're really doing what they consider in-depth research at all they're going to just look at the summaries of 2 or 3 reviews for the card they're thinking of.

Take this LTT 3050 review for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlobQZECwxE&t=7s

It's very much in the wheelhouse of being one of their older reviews, the benchmarks etc. are all pretty basic. Even there, take a look at the timeline and see what everyone skips to:

Those big peaks you see are when they throw up a graph of the basic specs, when they benchmark it against comparable cards with this weird "overall gaming" number (that's the section in the pic above), when they talk about price and the market at peak mining bullshit, and the conclusions.

With the vast majority of these you can tell the thrust they're going for just from the thumbnail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0srjKOOR4g&t=13s

And in all of them (including the exception that proves the rule with the thumbnail - the 4060ti review where he has a weird passive aggressive "we should THANK nvidia!" bit going on) they make it clear what the tl;dr is in the first thirty seconds.

They're already doing reviews. There are already tons of people out there who see a card released, hit up the LTT video that gets posted, and then just file the tl;dr at the back of their head as "oh yeah, that's the potato card" or whatever the summary is. The labs thing is really just there to give them a bit more of an appearance of credibility and authenticity.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

People are already watching LTT for reviews, this labs thing is just putting a spit-shine on it.

The sort of people who sit down and squint at graphs and have opinions about frame generation and post on internet forums about how important cache vs total RAM pool is are very much in the minority. Your average person who upgrades to the current-gen mid-tier card every four years or so just wants a trustworthy looking talking head to say "this card, this card and this card are bad. This card and this card are amazing but expensive. If you're on a budget THIS card is the best one." They don't need the details, and they don't want the details. They want the 30 second tl;dr where Steve or Linus or whoever else just says "yo the 4060 sucks, don't buy it." If they're really doing what they consider in-depth research at all they're going to just look at the summaries of 2 or 3 reviews for the card they're thinking of.

Take this LTT 3050 review for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlobQZECwxE&t=7s

It's very much in the wheelhouse of being one of their older reviews, the benchmarks etc. are all pretty basic. Even there, take a look at the timeline and see what everyone skips to:

Those big peaks you see are when they throw up a graph of the basic specs, when they benchmark it against comparable cards with this weird "overall gaming" number (that's the section in the pic above), when they talk about price and the market at peak mining bullshit, and the conclusions.

With the vast majority of these you can tell the thrust they're going for just from the thumbnail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0srjKOOR4g&t=13s

And in all of them (including the exception that proves the rule with the thumbnail - the 4060ti review where he has a weird passive aggressive "we should THANK nvidia!" bit going on) they make it clear what the tl;dr is in the first thirty seconds.

They're already doing reviews. There are already tons of people out there who see a card released, hit up the LTT video that gets posted, and then just file the tl;dr at the back of their head as "oh yeah, that's the potato card" or whatever the summary is. The labs thing is really just there to give them a bit more of an appearance of credibility and authenticity.

:agreed:

One of the reasons why LMG has/had such an insane grind to get videos out, is because Linus pretty clearly wants to be the first place people go to for their tech reviews. He wants to be the groundbreaker, the first to market with a video review of whatever piece of tech people are looking at spending money on. Obviously he's also looking at feeding the YT algorithm, but it's pretty evident that he wants LTT (and their various subchannels) to be both the first and the last word in whether or not a piece of tech is worth buying. And heck, it even worked on me; as I mentioned before, when I was doing my most recent PC build a few months back, I hadn't yet decided on a case until I saw Alex do a Short Circuit unboxing/mini-review of a Fractal Design case, and that's what I ended up going with.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When i was searching for build components in the past i used to check GN & Buildzoid mostly.

Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking) tends to delve far too deep for me but his general overviews at the end were legible and reliable.

LTT was just for a laugh at his stupidity and not much else, his ballsup with the Linux attempt didn't change that view. :commissar:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The pay talk got me thinking that the Labs folks probably make 2-2.5x the pay of all the "just happy to be here" cohort, if not more.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea where/how Buildzoid makes his money but I love his passion for the craft

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

waffle iron posted:

The pay talk got me thinking that the Labs folks probably make 2-2.5x the pay of all the "just happy to be here" cohort, if not more.

I dunno, the Labs folks are probably part of that too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Given that they hired people with experience from other companies for Labs I'd be shocked if they were getting underpaid like everyone else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

njsykora posted:

Given that they hired people with experience from other companies for Labs I'd be shocked if they were getting underpaid like everyone else.

People taking pay cuts to work a "dream job" for a big name respected figure in their industry is a thing, and one that gets regularly exploited

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

People taking pay cuts to work a "dream job" for a big name respected figure in their industry is a thing, and one that gets regularly exploited

Do you think anyone that has a job doing actual real lab testing would consider working for The Funny Tech Fail Man their dream job?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Do you think anyone that has a job doing actual real lab testing would consider working for The Funny Tech Fail Man their dream job?

I don't see why not. Data is data. The problem is everything mentioned above not the Failman bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m really curious what kind of experience the labs people had and were hired away from to come work in the wilds of langley for an irritating dorklord.