Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fond memories is where rad belongs, unfortunately. the robot fights are great, obviously. but that's less of the game than you might think and the rest is so tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you liked RAD you should probably know that appart from spawning EDF it's also a spiritual successor to the Robot Dandy games and theres a bunch of japan only games just like it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a fighting game where you can play as Storm 1 and another where you "fight" a giant anime.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fond memories is where rad belongs, unfortunately. the robot fights are great, obviously. but that's less of the game than you might think and the rest is so tedious.

There's also the hilariously awful voice acting!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Psion posted:

well this is good timing, seeing this thread.

Just started playing EDF5 after grabbing it last steam sale and it absolutely rules. I'm loving air raider because calling in airstrikes is the best. I'm pretty solid on ranger as well, I learned about shotguns early, but I gotta admit, wing diver and fencer weapons are making me go ???

so if anyone has some favorite weapons for those classes, please post your faves. Right now my wing diver go-tos are phalanx, plasma big cannon and/or a dragoon lance? or something? and gleipnir when I feel like being silly. For fencer, jackhammer/dexter and then ??? in slots 3/4. mobility for fencer is killing me, despite a lot of mashing dashjump. Gallic cannons and the dispersal mortar haven't clicked yet but they feel like they COULD be awesome.

Air Raider good weapons:

- The APC is super cheap, and gives the mobility that you initially lack. Plus a good weapon!.
- Star Rain or whatever are called, is a cheap AOE attack you can aim. Very spamable.
- The laser and canon attackis that are point of damage attacks. You use this one to attack a single enemy, duh.
- Carpet bombing are numerous and of many times, so is hard to say one in particular. The bigger the better.
- The Giant Walking robot.
- The turrets are all good. The rocket launcher is great. On the End Game stuff theres laser turrets, but I never unlocked one of these. With turrets are problem can be friendly fire.
- The default weapon the AR gets is a weird gun that shot explosive flechetes, but if you get a version with good range, a large mag... is a really good weapon!, it gets used to the way it works, since is not just firing, but firing some rounds, then detonate.

Wing diver good weapons:

- Lots of good homing weapons...
- That ball that hovers and shot ups, with the shots going back to ground.
- The biggest motherfucker sniper rifle you can get ( monster?), even if using it turns your wing driver into a static turret. But you can climb to the top of a skyscraper to deal damage for 20 secods or so.
- Some weapons have homing + tagging + rapid fire and low energy requirements. You can test many combinations until you find one that deals good damage, withouth drying your reserves, and shooting many targets at the same time.
- Wing diver also have explosive plasma like weapons that are great, but kinda hard to shot, has the AOE damage is large and the are medium distance weapons, is easy to kill yourself.

Ranger:
- Rocket launchers, fast and good punch
- Missiles with multiple heads, lock on!, the best stuff in the game, perhaps
- Shotguns and snipers, I guess.

I don't know enough about the fender. Have a verity of good weapons, rockets launchers, missiles, vulcan. Other than being walking tanks. Are walking tanks. High survavility too and high movility with the glitch to move superfast around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
keep in mind that monster 0, the first wing diver sniper rifle, is a useless joke weapon. the description implies that there's a way to make it actually fire a regular shot, but that isn't true. kinetic weapons are also never worth bothering with.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tei posted:

Wing diver good weapons:

- Lots of good homing weapons...
- That ball that hovers and shot ups, with the shots going back to ground.
- The biggest motherfucker sniper rifle you can get ( monster?), even if using it turns your wing driver into a static turret. But you can climb to the top of a skyscraper to deal damage for 20 secods or so.
- Some weapons have homing + tagging + rapid fire and low energy requirements. You can test many combinations until you find one that deals good damage, withouth drying your reserves, and shooting many targets at the same time.
- Wing diver also have explosive plasma like weapons that are great, but kinda hard to shot, has the AOE damage is large and the are medium distance weapons, is easy to kill yourself.

The hover ball is called Gleipnir, there is a low level one and a higher level one.

Wing Diver really excels as a close range glass cannon. The Rapier and Phalanx and great for this. I really like the Lances as well. There is one really good Plasma Cannon (maybe Big Cannon or Great Cannon?) that is a HUGE explosion for a ton of energy, but also very dangerous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you use the stronger plasma cannons online, you will definitely kill your party sometimes. sometimes they will in turn kill you, by jumping in front of you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I love using Bulge Lasers after knocking out the legs of giants. Can't move and they get cooked. Get good enough to select a distant target and have the laser follow a path while you are using other weapons in the meantime. Doesn't need points, just a timer. Fire them at anchors and forget about it. It doesn't stack correctly on one target, so you are not doing much damage unless they are hitting different parts. I think the last tier lasts a minute or two. Had people mention if the laser ever runs out so I use it out of wonderment.

Never ignore the decoys even if they are obsolete. You have animes dancing for you and having the heat off is a lifesaver and made the difference in our early game.

Depthcrawler can be upgraded with many turrets and bombs. Doesn't have much health but the bombs won't kill you if it takes all the hits for you. Not applicable on 4.1 since the game LOATHES Air Raider.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I just get demoralized whenever I try to use bulge lasers in EDF5 because they're such a wimpy and terribly nerfed version of their glorious power in 4.1, where they would shoot through everything. Air Raider was the best class in 4.1 for killing dropships because you could just call a bulge laser on top of it and it would *shoot through the top of it* to hit the weak point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it does suck how in 5 none of your cool weapons can do anything to dropships.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EDF 5 air raider is glorious but it's important to remember what we lost - god-tier bulge lasers and vehicles that were actually incredibly powerful instead of fairly middling at best. The only EDF5 vehicle that's flatly better than the EDF4.1 version is the Barga owning the poo poo out of the Balam. Many of the other workhorse vehicles were nerfed, shunted off to the Ranger, or both.

The railgun tank is a huge example - in EDF 4.1 it's Old Reliable and can get you through most of the campaign because it's durable, ultra powerful, and accurate. In EDF5, they took it away from the Air Raider and gave it to the Ranger but also made it suck huge rear end in the process.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Kanos posted:

EDF 5 air raider is glorious but it's important to remember what we lost - god-tier bulge lasers and vehicles that were actually incredibly powerful instead of fairly middling at best. The only EDF5 vehicle that's flatly better than the EDF4.1 version is the Barga owning the poo poo out of the Balam. Many of the other workhorse vehicles were nerfed, shunted off to the Ranger, or both.

The railgun tank is a huge example - in EDF 4.1 it's Old Reliable and can get you through most of the campaign because it's durable, ultra powerful, and accurate. In EDF5, they took it away from the Air Raider and gave it to the Ranger but also made it suck huge rear end in the process.

EDF 4.1 air raider let you dual wield tempests and it was amazing

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The real tech for Air Raider is that the auto-reload air strikes are the Air Raider's actual spammable main weapon, the limpet gun is basically a substitute you use for tunnels and close quarters.

Also Wing Diver's homing weapons are hilariously bad compared to homing missiles that Ranger or Fencer get, and the difference in effectiveness is bewildering. Wing Diver's real strength is flying right at enemies blasting them with Rapiers. Those beam weapons whose effective ammo count is actually half of what's listed because the damage dropoff for getting below 50% magazine suck if you forget to manually reload but are respectable midrange workhorses with the worst idiot gimmick if you remember never to go below half mag.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HolyKrap posted:

EDF 4.1 air raider let you dual wield tempests and it was amazing

I miss dual Lysanders a bit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's very funny going into EDF5 and expecting to rely on Air Raider's limpet guns and wondering what's up with those air strikes that aren't nearly as big as the big carpet bombings you're expecting, and also don't do as much damage. And then you read closer and realize they've got a magazine of like 6 shots, a 2.5 sec auto reload, and a Rate of Fire stat and suddenly everything just clicks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The truth is that limpet guns have always sucked. There has never been a point where they have been an actually good main weapon, only times where you're forced into using them because your other options literally cannot function due to being a lovely cave mission or Earth Eaters being present or the map being covered in shieldbearers or something.

Each game has like a three mission period where a particular limpet will trick you into thinking it's good - usually the Detector - but it's a ruse designed to lie to you.

In EDF5 it's easy because you have spammable airstrikes that won't kill you, but in EDF4.1 where you had to rely on the ticket system you generally just relied on your turrets, tanks, and teammates between airstrikes most of the time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
hey, thanks for all the good tips! I'll try some of these out next time I play. We're in a co-op squad so 'you will blow up your teammate with this gun' is a positive, really :v:

and yes I'm dash jumping my heart out as fencer but these +1 dash/+1 jump equipment items are not cutting it. I'm bad. I need like, +5 of each, at least. Surely I'll get them someday...

Air Raider became my #1 for life the minute I got the strafing run call-in, because the way you aim it is how you aim strafing runs in World in Conflict and I loved that game. I just got the upgraded version with 3 planes instead of 2, which is of course great.

the fast firing limpet has done decent work for me in a tunnel mission, though I know it's not Great it seems to do the job? I need something to do while my turrets are out and I'm bored.

the spider tank needs about, uh, a 300% movespeed buff though. I call it in at a chokepoint and hold down all the buttons until no more red dots, then get out and abandon it (and repeat with a new tank at a new choke) and, sure, this works but it's kinda silly. Are higher level ones faster?

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 30, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Even among the joke weapons you get, the Limpet series in 4.1 was so terrible as to be detrimental and useful only for the difficulty below availability.

I applauded the Limpet in 5 until the fun guns were unlocked.

Runa posted:

The real tech for Air Raider is that the auto-reload air strikes are the Air Raider's actual spammable main weapon, the limpet gun is basically a substitute you use for tunnels and close quarters.

Also Wing Diver's homing weapons are hilariously bad compared to homing missiles that Ranger or Fencer get, and the difference in effectiveness is bewildering. Wing Diver's real strength is flying right at enemies blasting them with Rapiers. Those beam weapons whose effective ammo count is actually half of what's listed because the damage dropoff for getting below 50% magazine suck if you forget to manually reload but are respectable midrange workhorses with the worst idiot gimmick if you remember never to go below half mag.
There is one homing weapon that fires two slow shots at a time for a long distance, but it is deceptive. You have two mile long conga lines coming at the enemy, but it won't hit them. The best use for Wing Diver is up close with fun fireworks shower or Rapiers. It is amazing to be on top of the giant walking pillar cake and fighting dozens of guns.

An interesting weapon is that Ghost that fires 100 shots a second and drains your battery in seconds. Tons of fun against flyers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Psion posted:

hey, thanks for all the good tips! I'll try some of these out next time I play. We're in a co-op squad so 'you will blow up your teammate with this gun' is a positive, really :v:

and yes I'm dash jumping my heart out as fencer but these +1 dash/+1 jump equipment items are not cutting it. I'm bad. I need like, +5 of each, at least. Surely I'll get them someday...
Get the mission packs.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Psion posted:

it's been forever but there's a trick that lets you cancel into chaining dashes or something using a particular type of boost and for the life of me I don't remember what it is.

My pro-tip for Fencer is once you unlock a shoulder mounted missile launcher that fires a missile that arcs over everything to get to its target and then airbursts above them, slam two of those in one equipment swap and never have to change off it for like 30+ levels. They're ridiculous and satisfying. You can alternate firing them and one will come off CD as the other finishes launching.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Scalding Coffee posted:

Get the mission packs.

the only thing I know about those is the Blazer for ranger. I was thinking I'd get them after my first campaign clear but if those items will start dropping below Inferno or whatever, I may need to change that. Do they?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DeNofa posted:

Wing Diver really excels as a close range glass cannon. The Rapier and Phalanx and great for this. I really like the Lances as well. There is one really good Plasma Cannon (maybe Big Cannon or Great Cannon?) that is a HUGE explosion for a ton of energy, but also very dangerous.

They're great for exactly those two things. Charge up the Phalanx and you can generally fly up to and then immediately oneshot most of the anchors. Or fly up and rapier the thing in the face. Go go gadget laser chainsaw!

The Plasma Heavy and Great Cannon is basically the only good plasma cannons once you unlock them. It's basically a spammable plasma based airstrike with huge damage and AoE. Get someplace up high and hope like hell that the recoil didn't push you back just enough that your shell clips the lip of the building and you kill yourself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Psion posted:

Air Raider became my #1 for life the minute I got the strafing run call-in, because the way you aim it is how you aim strafing runs in World in Conflict and I loved that game. I just got the upgraded version with 3 planes instead of 2, which is of course great.

Just wait until you get Heavy Bomber Phobos in late Hard/early Hardest.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Playing in splitscreen coop, as an Air Raider the Limpet Sniper is the only way I seem to have to deal with dropships in most missions. It's a pain to angle a vehicle right.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Power Assist Gun on your buddy is more effective than any Limpet Gun can hope to be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, air raider just doesn't have any particularly good methods for taking out dropships. some mechs can hit them, sometimes you can angle up a tank, maybe a sniper turret will occasionally deign to hit the weak spot, etc. at worst, you might have to resort to limpets. i guess it is possible to arc missiles under it, but i've never had much luck with trying to be precise with those things. air raider is just more fun in mp.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

limpet splendors are acceptable in underground missions

the limpets that rapidly vomit grenades everywhere are fine enough

"fine enough" is generally how limpets tend to go. you're never happy to be using one but they do get the job done so sometimes you take them begrudgingly (usually in underground missions)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Psion posted:

the only thing I know about those is the Blazer for ranger. I was thinking I'd get them after my first campaign clear but if those items will start dropping below Inferno or whatever, I may need to change that. Do they?
It must be Inferno. Play with buddies and do some Inferno runs as a Fencer and ask for vehicle drops so you won't be holding up the team. Ask for some runs in the DLC2 missions to get the Fencer items that drop for owners.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 30, 2023

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I recall a little more availability of the splendor variant of limpets in 4.1 than 5, and even if they aren't the best at clearing they were a desperately wanted source of piercing in cave missions

Even on Ranger the lock-on missiles always felt a little too spam-focused. Locking onto 30 ants at the same time and firing a volley every second, but it takes 30 seconds to start actually killing ants from the damage kills the novelty quickly. Emeralds feel like they should be a good middle ground but still struggle to clear even air chaff. Don't @ me about the air tortoise. Grenade/launchers can do some work but rocket launchers feel like a tradeoff in rate of damage for infinite range.

the auto-acquisition helicopters could be a menace in 4.1 and I don't think I used one in 5 that felt right

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The air tortoise is actually good and useful for certain jobs in certain circumstances

Like all the obvious problems with it aside it does rapidly spit out very large amounts of damage. If my group is having trouble with a mission because the ant queens are too tough to deal with or whatever the air tortoise does solve that.

And I really love that the air tortoise is occasionally actually a viable weapon that makes its joke even funnier when you have to rely on it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Air Tortoise < hand grenades

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's much more funny

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Every time I see more than 10 unread posts in this thread I briefly dare to dream

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm counting on next summer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Good Citizen posted:

Every time I see more than 10 unread posts in this thread I briefly dare to dream
It's been a year since the release, the announcement is coming next month.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah same.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

my favorite part of the spider tanks will always be slapping turrets all over them and riding off

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Good Citizen posted:

One day...one day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Okay what yhe gently caress i just found out in addition to the switch versions of EDF2 and EDF 3 theres a port of 4.1 too? Pqubes website is also listing edf 5 for switch on its product page, not sure if thats just an error or if thats actually in the works too.

Have they just stopped releasing edf in the west? I cant believe we got ports on the vita but not on the vastly more popular switch.

Its bumming me out because i got a buddy who only has a switch and would be up for online coop but world bros just aint it.