Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
drat J-novel Club massacring my mangadex follow list with licensing a shitload of trash isekais/fantasy manga. I haven’t checked out their price model, is it as terrible as most other legit manga sites?

Over half the stuff I was reading was pretty mid and I’m not interested in paying per chapter for it, I wouldn’t mind a small monthly sub fee if that’s an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
j-novel seems like it's way, way more expensive option compared to, say, Comikey, for an online digital reader. I just went and looked at the page for, say, Faraway Paladin and it looks like each digital volume is 8.99 each, but in ~coins~. Whereas Comikey is per chapter, with new chapters being free for a short time, and otherwise costing 3 keys each(with 100 keys costing :10bux: and you get a bunch of freebie quick-use keys too).

so basically, j-novel seems like a much worse option than other official readers, which is unfortunate since they also obliterated my mangadex follow list. I don't mind paying for releases, but I also am not cool with paying near-physical volume prices for digital. I think the most I'm fine with paying for digital volumes is like, 4-5 bucks.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Note that the free latest chapters thing on comikey is going to EOL at some point

quote:

Free-Paid-Free: With the Free-Paid-Free option, a new chapter will be available to read for free for the first few hours of its release. Then, the chapter will lock for 12 hours; this is another instance where your Keys will come in handy! After a 12-hour lock period, the chapter will be free to read again for one week! Note that this is a legacy method currently being phased out, and is only permitted for select series.

Fellis posted:

drat J-novel Club massacring my mangadex follow list with licensing a shitload of trash isekais/fantasy manga. I haven’t checked out their price model, is it as terrible as most other legit manga sites?

Over half the stuff I was reading was pretty mid and I’m not interested in paying per chapter for it, I wouldn’t mind a small monthly sub fee if that’s an option.
Buying volumes of manga is pretty expensive , but unlike a lot of other platforms, you get a drm-free EPUB and that has to be worth something, though that's not particularly useful if you're only reading it once and not sharing it with other people.

Monthly sub fee is in fact the best way to use J-novel if you have at least a couple series that you follow that regularly update (HAVE YOU HEARD OF ASCENDANCE OF A BOOKWORM?). Or if there's a series you're going to binge that's on catchup. Subscribing gets you access to chapters as they're released as well as the entirety of any series on monthly catchup. If you do the premium sub you get some amount of discounted coins as part of the additional cost. For the example for Faraway paladin, it was probably on catchup whenever it got season 1 anime, so you could have binged the entire series during that month. Maybe it gets on catchup again for season 2, but there are a bunch of other series getting season 1 that will almost certainly be on catchup for september.

Also their volumes are probably priced so the 15% off premium members get (or the cut amazon/bookwalker take) is the price they want to be paid

I should note that I've seen one series that for some reason never had prepubs and only had ch1 previews and directly release full volumes. I don't think it's that's normal though, since I do read the first couple chapter of just about ever new series and only noticed it once

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

Same here; I counted 24 series that they picked up this summer and just started posting.

Of those 7 were dead scanlations and 2 were already completed series.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also worth noting with J-Novel Club that the actual price requires some math once you get into it: The annual premium subscription is $120 + tax/year. But during that 12 month billing cycle they credit you 699 coins automatically each month ($1 USD = 100 coins). So its $120+tax less $83.88 in coins they give you over 12 months = $36.12 annual or about $3.01/mo which is also about the same price as a Shounen Jump subscription. Or another way to look at it; since they price light novels at 699 coins a book, you basically get one book a month with your subscription which means each book costs $3.01 and a lot of patience.

And premium members of course get the 15% discount on coins, so you can buy 1000 coins which is regularly $10 for a non-premium member for $8.50 instead if you don't have the patience to min/max the subscription.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So I recently ran into a Chinese made Isekai that is actually pretty good, its a little long winded and done in longform, but its enjoyable:
Release That Witch
https://mangadex.org/title/aafb046c-9de4-4c3d-990c-6d75b079c0b9/release-that-witch

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it goes on long enough to drain any positive qualities it once had. just on and on and on. on the upside, the mangaka for the adaptation demonstrates their bias openly by making another girl appear 10x as often as the main heroine without changing the story. i find that very funny.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I read the novel for that until it got really weird and boring with the protagonist spending all his time in some kind of pseudo-real modern superhero dream world and ignoring the entire world and cast up until that point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it goes on long enough to drain any positive qualities it once had. just on and on and on. on the upside, the mangaka for the adaptation demonstrates their bias openly by making another girl appear 10x as often as the main heroine without changing the story. i find that very funny.

This does seem to be a common issue with a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese series I've noticed, with many going up into 400-500 chapters. Not everyone can be one piece.

I've enjoyed the story so far, but I'm only up to chapter 175.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

So I recently ran into a Chinese made Isekai that is actually pretty good, its a little long winded and done in longform, but its enjoyable:
Release That Witch
https://mangadex.org/title/aafb046c-9de4-4c3d-990c-6d75b079c0b9/release-that-witch

this was pretty fun as far as village/lord building isekais go

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also worth noting with J-Novel Club that the actual price requires some math once you get into it: The annual premium subscription is $120 + tax/year. But during that 12 month billing cycle they credit you 699 coins automatically each month ($1 USD = 100 coins). So its $120+tax less $83.88 in coins they give you over 12 months = $36.12 annual or about $3.01/mo which is also about the same price as a Shounen Jump subscription. Or another way to look at it; since they price light novels at 699 coins a book, you basically get one book a month with your subscription which means each book costs $3.01 and a lot of patience.

And premium members of course get the 15% discount on coins, so you can buy 1000 coins which is regularly $10 for a non-premium member for $8.50 instead if you don't have the patience to min/max the subscription.

yeah if you intend to purchase twelve or more light novel volumes a year, the monthly coins and coin discount makes it so premium sub makes a lot of sense, otherwise it kinda doesn't. personally i like buying volumes of stuff that i already read in pre-pub and loading copies onto my computer, phone, tablet, etc., and that's easy to do with the files they give you. also i just like paying for volumes after confirming i like them, especially since a few of these series i originally got caught up on through uh other means, and feel like i owe the author a fair bit of money, which i return whenever i have spare monthly coins, and that means i get value for premium (assuming they are correctly paying the author and publishing staff per sale, which is what i'm doing this for). however i don't think i feel the same inclinations to pay for digital manga; that i prefer to either get on paper or else only when freely available. so jnc licensing a bunch of that's whatever, i guess

CommieGIR posted:

Release That Witch

a friend made the observation that it's actually a cultivation novel but with dengism instead of syncretic dao/martial arts mysticism, which is a funnier way to read it. anyway i liked it as a web novel despite the poor translation but i can never get into these digital asset comics, they look too cheaply-made

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 30, 2023

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Sindai posted:

I read the novel for that until it got really weird and boring with the protagonist spending all his time in some kind of pseudo-real modern superhero dream world and ignoring the entire world and cast up until that point.

This was especially frustrating because IIRC that took off right when the story was moving into the demon held territory. We finally got through all the set up of Roland steamrolling knights and whatnot with firearms and got to the real enemies, foreshadowed for so long as incredibly dangerous with interesting magic and tech, then it moves to his weird internal apartment complex instead.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't know how far that adaptation gets but I stopped reading the WN when he invents the secret police. There was also this other terrible bit where noncombat witches are discriminated against by combat witches, and he tells them, to their skepticism, that even noncombat witches can hold their own against combat witches. I was interested in this because I thought it would involve showing them how they can use their weird powers creatively but it turned out his solution was to give them guns.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fellis posted:

I've found J-Novel to be pretty decent personally. It has it's issues with the keys, but it's not terrible and actually pretty drat good since you can use them on anything or even gift them. There was also a thing where if you signed up for a year($100+ I think), they give you like $10 worth of coins each month. I used that to pretty kucn buyout all of Undead Adventurer* and Faraway Paladin for comparatively cheap as well as get to read them prepub.

* This applies to other series as well, but the Premiums for this have exclusive bonus chapters added to them not found on other retailers.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Argue posted:

I don't know how far that adaptation gets but I stopped reading the WN when he invents the secret police. There was also this other terrible bit where noncombat witches are discriminated against by combat witches, and he tells them, to their skepticism, that even noncombat witches can hold their own against combat witches. I was interested in this because I thought it would involve showing them how they can use their weird powers creatively but it turned out his solution was to give them guns.

I got bored with the WN when the whole dream world where he can invite witches into it and they live in a weird pseudo-modern world thing was introduced. But one thing I was always curious about - how'd they resolve the romance subplot between the Prince, Anna, and Nightingale?

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Argue posted:

Re: non-combat witches: Kind of like the "physical magic" in Cultivator Against Hero Society?

Myok fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 30, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah there is some little goblin hiding in the story that wants to keep coming out and do cultivation stuff.

I much prefer the bookstore one because if a goblin comes out to do cultivation stuff, it would probably be an actual goblin coming out. Or at least, that's how it would appear to normal humans and then all their brains melt or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

khy posted:

But one thing I was always curious about - how'd they resolve the romance subplot between the Prince, Anna, and Nightingale?

Basically there's an unspoken agreement after Roland tells Anna about Nightingale's feelings for him, and Anna and Nightengale have a conversation that isn't shared and they agree that she can be his secret mistress, they never actually cover the agreement in the novel or the manga, but its clear Anna knows about her feelings for him and is fine as long as its kept quiet. At the very least Anna doesn't interfere between them as long as Roland is still hers. Specifically it has to stay secret because they don't want the other witches to doubt Roland's integrity.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kyoujin posted:

This was especially frustrating because IIRC that took off right when the story was moving into the demon held territory. We finally got through all the set up of Roland steamrolling knights and whatnot with firearms and got to the real enemies, foreshadowed for so long as incredibly dangerous with interesting magic and tech, then it moves to his weird internal apartment complex instead.

"author gets bored/distracted/writers' blocked and tries inserting a cultivation novel into their ongoing story" is something i've seen play out like 3-4 times, it never ends well but at least RTW goes back to the setting we actually care about. eventually. for a while.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah agreed that RTW is good and fun but just goes on too long. I put it down one day and never felt the need to get back to it. I think I was pretty deep in the WN, like 300ish chapters?

It does have a lot of elements I enjoy like “understanding science makes magic better”, generally treats the female cast with respect IIRC, and was a good village building story

Fellis fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 30, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, for the most part the female cast basically is leading everything, Roland is just kinda the organizer and provides the raw ideas and authority, the witches do nearly everything and get the credit for it as well.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 30, 2023

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Argue posted:

a whole major concept of the story is that there’s no point in prioritizing combat magic over industrial uses because with firearms and a motivated manpower pool the ability to hack production functions is more broken on the battlefield than anything any fighter can accomplish. it was lazy writing to demonstrate it in such a direct way, but that is in fact the basic underlying gimmick of the story and what sets it apart from similar work (the vast majority of witches come in expecting to prove they can fight, and end up getting jobs in labs or factories)

my main criticism of the work (aside from the terribly unsatisfying ending, which seems to have been intended all along) is that they (roland and the core leadership) don’t bother to straightforwardly explain their state legitimation doctrine, to a degree that is totally illogical in the light of the expensive and difficult public relations efforts they do make. like, there’s a defined government structure, and a clear origin story for how existing organizations with previously existing self-justifications folded themselves into roland’s government and changed their names, but they don’t really talk about it for some reason. the state propaganda is all about trivial stuff like how nice the city is. the low wall with the hole in it is still there, but they don’t bother to make it into a monument to the cooperation between the witches and the army, which could easily symbolize the simple explanation for why all the various witches they encounter should agree to work for this state (it has an undefeated pro-witch army with its origins in a period of mutual vulnerability and cooperation with witches). a previously independent witch organization became a pillar of the new state because they judged that it could meet the criteria of their previous ideological aims, of finding a holy mountain and establishing a safe haven for witches (serendipitously, the wording matches a core criterion for the older witches’ state remnants to recognize an independent state). the administrative state evolves out of the city government and is tasked with using the enhanced productivity of witch-assisted industry to raise the standard of living and encourage recruitment for manpower needs. simple, but compelling, assuming their interlocutors have concrete strategic interests and are less frivolous than roland in their adherence to stated justifications. instead they go about making a bunch of pointless bets and faked demonstrations and bribes and shows of force and fabricated stories whenever they need to bring new people on board. absolutely bizarre behavior. but in that respect, also somewhat in line with certain behaviors of the people’s government lol

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

this allusion meant posted:

anyway i liked it as a web novel despite the poor translation but i can never get into these digital asset comics, they look too cheaply-made

agreed on both counts, i cant stand how every chinese comic looks like complete trash

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
yea Release that Witch got way too long and I just stopped.
the stuff I read up to was good and I just let that stay with me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fellis posted:

Yeah agreed that RTW is good and fun but just goes on too long. I put it down one day and never felt the need to get back to it. I think I was pretty deep in the WN, like 300ish chapters?

It does have a lot of elements I enjoy like “understanding science makes magic better”, generally treats the female cast with respect IIRC, and was a good village building story

i liked that alchemist having a lovecraftian breakdown at the periodic table

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Red Ranger Isekai

Excellent chapter, everything is banging away on all cylinders this series is one of the few I legitimately needs an anime adaptation. But this part stuck out to me. The brother here does realize that both he and his sister have vertical slits for pupils, pronounced canine teeth, and he himself looks pretty lion-like at this angle? On top of his sister's privilege magic being a giant animal I think he's in for a rude awakening when it is revealed either their mother, or one of their ancestors was a demi-human.

There was also a new chapter of Samurai in another world
Our MC gets to go full :black101: and I am here for that. Just look at happy she is

This world was not ready for her

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
last chapter of With One Day Left I'll Break All The Destruction Flags and boy, that was an intense, short series. That twist in the epilogue was seriously chilling.

an excellent, short otome series, succinct and to the point. top shelf imo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

last chapter of With One Day Left I'll Break All The Destruction Flags and boy, that was an intense, short series. That twist in the epilogue was seriously chilling.

Yeah this one was really good, I really like the Villainess isekais.
I think my favorite one other than this one is: 'An Observation Record of my Fiancée - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess'
https://mangadex.org/title/60e6eb5e-6798-4614-928f-064e65aabe16/jishou-akuyaku-reijou-na-konyakusha-no-kansatsu-kiroku

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Next week on lvl 99 villainess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8JocOpkvY

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah this one was really good, I really like the Villainess isekais.
I think my favorite one other than this one is: 'An Observation Record of my Fiancée - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess'
https://mangadex.org/title/60e6eb5e-6798-4614-928f-064e65aabe16/jishou-akuyaku-reijou-na-konyakusha-no-kansatsu-kiroku

My top three are Observation Record, With One Day Left, and The One Within the Villainess. I guess I've just grown tired of the series that drag on and on without any closure.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

My top three are Observation Record, With One Day Left, and The One Within the Villainess. I guess I've just grown tired of the series that drag on and on without any closure.

Mine would be Bakarina, The One Within The Villainess, I'm Not Even an NPC in this Otome Game, and Endo and Kobayashi's PBP. I do tend to like it more if the heroine is either a nice person or if they're full on terrible it's because they're another reincarnated like in One Within the Villainess. I do also like Deathbound Duke's Daughter a lot, but that hasn't updated in ages.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
not a fan when the heroine is also a reincarnator, though its not a dealbreaker. they just tend to totally overshadow the villainess a lot of times.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

its interesting in that usually in these stories, the villainess tries to reform and be 'good' But this one just doubles down on everything. Though its not like she has a choice given the time restraints. And not like the 'heroine' is innocent either, so it evens out.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Mine would be Bakarina, The One Within The Villainess, I'm Not Even an NPC in this Otome Game, and Endo and Kobayashi's PBP. I do tend to like it more if the heroine is either a nice person or if they're full on terrible it's because they're another reincarnated like in One Within the Villainess. I do also like Deathbound Duke's Daughter a lot, but that hasn't updated in ages.

I like Endo and Kobayashi a lot, but I thought the story kind of fell off towards the end (at least with the WN) and it's been 7 months since the manga got an update.. Bakarina was fun for the first arc that ended with the condemnation, but I got bored of it when the second arc started going.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GateOfD posted:

its interesting in that usually in these stories, the villainess tries to reform and be 'good' But this one just doubles down on everything. Though its not like she has a choice given the time restraints. And not like the 'heroine' is innocent either, so it evens out.

Personally I've grown rather fond of the series where the villainess doesn't reform and instead embraces her villainy, be it because she's been wrongly treated, because her opponents are so much worse, or because it is the only way to achieve her goals. The ones where they reform tend to peter and and become kind of bland reverse harems that don't do anything satisfying after the initial opening.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The 'high level medicine/doctor got dumped into a magic forest' one just had a big ol' chapter dump on Mangadex. https://mangadex.org/title/1aad07fb-3ec1-4acf-8c5b-d8f5f5929a5d/koudou-ni-hattatsu-shita-igaku-wa-mahou-to-kubetsu-ga-tsukanai
Taking it from 9 to 17 chapters. (Thankfully, same scanlation group, not someone sniping with a MTL or something like that.)

(The dragons are so adorable.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was just about to post that, it's quickly become my favorite new series. the art is also gorgeous, and I like the concept; he's not some reincarnator with a broken skill, he's just a medical professional in a world where healing magic is brutally and rigorously restricted by the people who can use it.

also, I won't say no to yakuza dragons

edit: okay, actually starting to read this glut of new chapters, and I am reading the mom dragon in a scottish accent and it's great

I loving love the designs in this manga. I can already tell this dude rules

there's the little things, like he's clearly holding a mug for an elf, but he's a dwarf so he's got giant meat mitts, so he's holding it with two fingers

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 5, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SubNat posted:

The 'high level medicine/doctor got dumped into a magic forest' one just had a big ol' chapter dump on Mangadex. https://mangadex.org/title/1aad07fb-3ec1-4acf-8c5b-d8f5f5929a5d/koudou-ni-hattatsu-shita-igaku-wa-mahou-to-kubetsu-ga-tsukanai
Taking it from 9 to 17 chapters. (Thankfully, same scanlation group, not someone sniping with a MTL or something like that.)

(The dragons are so adorable.)

Started it just now from having it on my backlog from recs and yeah, not even done with the first chap and already love it. Not just the art style, but I'm just a sucker for people taking knowledge and spreading to make the world a getter place(it's why I liked the similar Parallel World Pharmacy).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
god drat, chapters 16 and 17 had me loving riveted

and of course they couldn't have had one more chapter to wrap that part up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

doomrider7 posted:

make the world a getter place