Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

When did Honda stop making the ST1300?

not sure when they stopped making them but they went off sale in 2018 in Europe, I believe 2013 or somewhere around there in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

If you think the new Goldwing's steering is numb and disconnected, you're not going to like what you get from BMW

You already shot the Versys down; try the Tracer 9 GT/GT+. You could also step up to bikes like the Multistrada (maintenance $$$ though, more than BMW, but also way more fun to ride)

FWIW I think you're making a mistake by not even trying the FJR b/c you didn't like the Concours - the C14 has a more aggressive riding posture and tries a lot harder to be a sport bike. The FJR sits pretty upright, the controls can be adjusted and you can get bar risers if you need a sit-up-and-beg riding position.
Fair point. I'll give FJR a closer look. Shouldn't dismiss anything without actually riding it.
I test rode Tracer and Niken(lol) in the past, didn't like em, not enough comfort. Great performance and I love the zipper saddlebags. I find Super Tenere ES to be much better.
Ducati is out because of the costs involved.
Edited: steering geometry response. I was wrong.

Not sure if that was a joke post or not, but I'll have access to Moto Guzzi V100 soon, we'll see how that goes :D

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 9, 2023

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

F800/F850 GS/GSA?

They're light, tons of used ones out there, usually kitted out with all kinds of stuff, especially luggage options.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the super tenere is one of the most boring motorcycles I have ever ridden and I say this as someone who owns a non-adventure R1200GS and a goldwing

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Captain McAllister posted:

F800/F850 GS/GSA?

They're light, tons of used ones out there, usually kitted out with all kinds of stuff, especially luggage options.

Never ridden the GS / GSA's but the S/ST is pretty fun.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Captain McAllister posted:

F800/F850 GS/GSA?

I don't have any off-road pretensions, and would like to have actual windscreen, fairing, low end torque and rider comfort amenities. They're good bikers tho, just not fair what I need

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

prukinski posted:

Never ridden the GS / GSA's but the S/ST is pretty fun.

GSes have the same motor, (but tuned for more low end), more suspension travel, chain drive, and a ridiculous array of aftermarket options.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

I don't have any off-road pretensions, and would like to have actual windscreen, fairing, low end torque and rider comfort amenities. They're good bikers tho, just not fair what I need

You're literally describing a BMW lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

You're literally describing a BMW lol

The mid 20tens r1200rt is my #1 choice at the moment. Apparently some models could be ordered without radio, but with all safety and comfort features, which is amazing. But still looking into it, and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Someone recommended I take a look at Triumph Trophy of similar vintage, they are supposed to be directly competitive with bmw. Can anyone elaborate? There are a total of zero for sale near me, so that's not a good sign

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

The mid 20tens r1200rt is my #1 choice at the moment. Apparently some models could be ordered without radio, but with all safety and comfort features, which is amazing. But still looking into it, and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Someone recommended I take a look at Triumph Trophy of similar vintage, they are supposed to be directly competitive with bmw. Can anyone elaborate? There are a total of zero for sale near me, so that's not a good sign

I don't know if/when BMW ABS modules stopped being a chronic, expensive problem on their big bikes, but look into it and budget accordingly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

I would assign a triumph trophy as a penalty for a crime and that's about it

Finger Prince posted:

I don't know if/when BMW ABS modules stopped being a chronic, expensive problem on their big bikes, but look into it and budget accordingly.

Around the time final drive heads started being a problem

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

About 20% of pre-2014 RTs are being sold with "abs not working but it rides fine, I swear" in the ad. The clutch replacement is $2700 at a dealer, in case anyone is wondering.

Honda, please bring NT1100 here, I'll buy one, I swear.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

What's equivalent to Honda nt1100, but is sold in the US? Upright tourer with hard luggage, no more than 600lbs, traction control, abs, cruise control.

I'm thinking used bmw 1200/1250rt might be a good match? I test rode a few models years ago, but honestly forgot the details. It looks great, but I'm weary of maintenance costs. The used 1200 pre-vtec model might be a good buy.

Also HD Pan america with active suspension. Other than the awful noise it makes, I'm pretty impressed by it. Nimble, powerful, comfortable. Probably not as good 2up, but it's a rare problem to have. They are not holding value like the rest of HD products, buying used is a good proposition

Kawasaki versus 1000 felt like a bear in comparison to the above. The inline 4 seems very unnecessary, and while the power is nice, the ergonomics didn't vibe.

What else is out there?

Considered a V-Strom 1000? My 650 was a great mini tourer and the pillion is surprisingly comfortable. Don't know if you could get them with tc and cruise, though, or even if abs was ever available on the first gen. (It was on the 650 after 2007, so I don't see why it wouldn't be, but who knows what goes on in the minds of Suzuki.)

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Nitrox posted:

The S and S/T models tick all of those boxes without the off-road pretensions and you can pick them up cheap. Worth a look.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

prukinski posted:

The S and S/T models tick all of those boxes without the off-road pretensions and you can pick them up cheap. Worth a look.

You know what, I had no idea. Wikipedia says that

"The F800GT has a low-maintenance belt drive and single sided swingarm.[4]ABS brakes are standard equipment. In the UK and now the US, factory options include heated grips, tire pressure monitoring system, onboard computer, LED indicators, anti theft alarm system, main centre stand, Automatic Stability Control (ASC), pannier fastenings, comfort seat, low seat, and Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA).[5] BMW Motorrad also offer a range of accessories.[6]"

And I'm going to take a look at it. My f650gs was a good bike. Maybe this is actually the answer

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I say this only half-jokingly: go look at maxi-scoots

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jazzzzz posted:

I say this only half-jokingly: go look at maxi-scoots

Nooooo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most people buy an SUV when they really need a station wagon or minivan

Most people buy an adv when they really need a maxiscoot

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I can’t even pretend a Burgman 650 wouldn’t do everything I want (except be pretty).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right, and buying a BMW you don't even get that!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Not wrong.
Which is why I'm trying to persuade my partner to sell their 600 ton automatic honda adv for a dr650 on sumo slicks

.... that we can do version two of the 790 kit on with what we've learned from round one.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

I bought a station wagon when all I really needed was a hatchback or coupe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mega scooters rule. I miss my elite 250 every day

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I check my local market for Suzuki Burgmen regularly just because i'm very intrigued. Electric folding mirrors and heated seats FFS. Probably cavernous cargo holes by the look of them. Also I suspect that at least the 650cc burgman goes like a bat out of hell.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Maxi scoots are the fastest thing in the city. I have not too great associations with them - at least not with the guys who, almost without exception, wore a Roof Boxer helmet and some lovely loud exhaust that did not do anything to make an engine with a CVT connected to it, sound more exciting.
The gixxer squids seemed like angels compared to them, at least specifically in my part of town

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure the 650 burgman rips. You can also tune the CVT’s in these for low end or top end.

I had a set of rollers in my elite that made it really quick off the line, it was super fun.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've considered them but maintenance looks like hell wrt/ what has to come off to service anything
That reminds me, I recently watched a video on how to replace the air filter on a late model Goldwing. JFC.
I need to do the air filter on my Vee this weekend. I think I need to remove only the tank

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, air filter is a real bitch. I do mine over the winter only

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
all the plastic from the bags forward has to come off, it's ridiculous. it's pretty much the one standard maintenance item I'll let the dealer take care of. ain't nobody got time for that

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It's possible I've found the gravel bike bro and I have been lusting for!
Yesterday I was at the moto parts place to pick up some oil filters for the SV, and the only other bike sitting outside was a yellow, a bit shabby and faded somewhat rusty looking DRZ400. Never having seen one of those up close in the flesh I was curious, and the owner came out of the store by the time I had my helmet off and earplugs out. We got to talking, and he said he was thinking of selling it. He also seemed like a nice guy in general, let me sit on his bike, and to boot said he works as a vehicle inspector so I'd like to talk to they guy again and ask him about work stories if nothing else. Anyways I got his number and looked up the bike's registration at the DMV and it seems alright, 2006 model, only about 9000 km on the odometer which is sensational if true. Im gonna contact him and see if anything comes of it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Does anyone have any thoughts on the streetfighter 848? I love my MTS1100 but I’m not sure how I feel about early commitment to the dadbike aesthetic and I just got a significant enough raise to go up a price tier in old used bikes (woah woah hold your horses that doesn’t mean I can afford anything post 2015).

Specifically interested in ease of maintenance (compared to 2v ducatis and the MTS’s tank removal rigmarole) and if it offers anything unique in a street riding experience? I’m a fairly competent rider, but I also only have the cash for one vehicle at a time so it’d be only way of getting around.

A major part of my decision rubric here is a *sense of occassion* when walking towards my bike, and knowing that I’m making a sub-optimal decision in the interest of *feeling alive* - but I do have my limits, so if an SF848 is underwhelming or a TOTAL pita, that’s good data.

I’m not considering a super duke or v4 Tuono, before you suggest either of those as alternatives.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would not have a Ducati anything, regardless of age or model, as my only vehicle unless I also have very good public transport options for getting to work

The 848 is a great little machine, super fun, not particularly painful to work on by the standards of 4v Ducatis. They tend to be pretty run down though, at least here they tend to attract the kind of owner who wants the cachet but doesn't want to spend any money or effort taking care of the bike

If it's your only bike I will always tell you to just swallow your pride and get something japanese, alternatively cut your budget in half and get two older bikes, one for character and the other for transport, or a bike and a car

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
dr650 and a vfr400

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

I would not have a Ducati anything, regardless of age or model, as my only vehicle unless I also have very good public transport options for getting to work

Oh yeah, I’m within walking distance of three train lines, and I can bicycle to the rest of the city, so I really shoulda said my only form of motorised transport.

cozmik
Aug 31, 2023
I'm considering getting a MT10 for a commuter bike. Anyone have one?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can anyone confirm about "max power" from this type of engine, more marketing drivel?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Afaik, all boxer engines are naturally balanced. That’s the only really unique benefit. Power comes from revs, so very broadly speaking: more cylinders -> more revs -> more power.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Can anyone confirm about "max power" from this type of engine, more marketing drivel?

It makes the maximum power a plastic Lego engine with real moving parts can make.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Afaik, all boxer engines are naturally balanced. That’s the only really unique benefit. Power comes from revs, so very broadly speaking: more cylinders -> more revs -> more power.

Only a boxer six is naturally balanced

Finger Prince posted:

It makes the maximum power a plastic Lego engine with real moving parts can make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm more concerned that Batman is darksiding. He doesn't need car tire durability. His vehicles typically don't last a full maintenance cycle of anything due to the extremely high accident and destruction of property rate in his general vicinity.