Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s doubly stupid because dunking on a previous season is fine if you’re the same writing/creative team looking back on past mistakes and the season you’re taking those shots from is demonstrably better than what you’re making fun of.

Picard season 3 was neither of those things. If anything, it was actually worse because the plot was complete nonsense. Season 1 was bad but at least you could generally follow what the gently caress was happening. Trying to follow season 3 was like trying to guess that night’s lottery numbers.

Completely undeserved arrogance just because you pulled some references out of a hat each episode instead of even attempting to do something new.

Picard the Show is two kids on a basketball court. Season 1 is a kid in a wheelchair who takes an honest throw, hits the backboard and bricks it because he's never actually thrown a basket ball in his life. Season 2 and Season 3 is a snot-nosed punk in $500 special edition Air Jordans that his dad bought him, and a signed LeBron James jersey, also paid for by daddy, who pushes the wheelchair kid over on his way to the free throw line, tosses a "I don't even have to try" shot, somehow breaks his ankle doing so, and then gets hit in the face with the ball after also bricking it on the backboard and breaks his nose just to add insult to injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

I was rewatching These Old Scientists for the nth time, and I love the animated opening credits. New Trek goes way overboard with the "realistic" lighting on the ships and the over-abundance of aztecing. The animated version of the Enterprise is perfect. It doesn't look like a painted a toy, but it doesn't look like they just welded it together with random scraps of metal. I would love to see a live action version with that lighting and composition.

Yeah modern live-action Trek VFX rendering looks like rear end. There are fan renders on Youtube that are so, so much better.

Like Robert Wilde:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdRUL8RbDw8

Or JTVFX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTC0Zu8TY9c

Or Howard Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQAjj-WSdJQ

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s doubly stupid because dunking on a previous season is fine if you’re the same writing/creative team looking back on past mistakes and the season you’re taking those shots from is demonstrably better than what you’re making fun of.

Picard season 3 was neither of those things. If anything, it was actually worse because the plot was complete nonsense. Season 1 was bad but at least you could generally follow what the gently caress was happening. Trying to follow season 3 was like trying to guess that night’s lottery numbers.

Completely undeserved arrogance just because you pulled some references out of a hat each episode instead of even attempting to do something new.

I honestly thought that was going to be a clue that Deanna was a Changeling but nope.

Speaking of Changelings, maybe they get worse as the series goes on but I'm about halfway through DS9 S4 right now and outside of being smug fucks, they have not tried to be violent or aggressive towards Starfleet, no real bloodthirst at all. They have the Jem'Hadar for that

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sheer loving hubris, perhaps?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Their Wolf 359 video out next month is looking real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qverjbWeYI

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Aces High posted:

I honestly thought that was going to be a clue that Deanna was a Changeling but nope.

Speaking of Changelings, maybe they get worse as the series goes on but I'm about halfway through DS9 S4 right now and outside of being smug fucks, they have not tried to be violent or aggressive towards Starfleet, no real bloodthirst at all. They have the Jem'Hadar for that

The Founders are not bloodthirsty or aggressive. They are deeply paranoid and dealing with trauma that affects the entire collective species. Given the opportunity, they would wipe out all solid life in the universe, but they are also patient and confident and so don't tip their hand when they don't have to.

By late season 7, it's clear what absolute monsters they are.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
And what we see in Picard series 3 is utterly and totally unlike the changelings we've seen

Them having that bucket is the loving stupidest thing, the show was done from that point for me. Obvious they'd just sorta skimmed what the changelings were in DS9 and that was it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

And what we see in Picard series 3 is utterly and totally unlike the changelings we've seen

Them having that bucket is the loving stupidest thing, the show was done from that point for me. Obvious they'd just sorta skimmed what the changelings were in DS9 and that was it

That bit was a real "AI write a Changelings meet TNG fanfic" moment.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Warthur posted:

And I feel bad for anyone who actually liked season 1 and 2 who then watched season 3. They're probably rare, but they didn't deserve their goodwill being spat on like that. Season 3 dunks on anyone who liked S1-S2 just as hard as those seasons dunk on us for liking TNG. Remember the bit where Troi and Riker talk about how much they hated that house they lived in during Nepenthe? Came across like the show outright saying that season 1 was rubbish, and that's true but drat don't go around reminding us of it if you've realised that.

At that point it was honestly just kind of funny, trying to throw shade at the first season and doing it by having characters say one of the best received and most liked episodes of it sucked? What else can you feel about that except a type of low level scorn since that's just embarrassing rather than insulting.

The second season ending up having the stealth premise of "this is how we put 90% of the cast on a bus" was much more aggravating. If you're going to come in and dismantle a previous creatives work you drat well better deliver something at the bare minimum on par with their work, and they most certainly did not.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I watched Picard Season 3 before watching DS9 so I missed bucket references. What was I supposed to have caught?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Atlas Hugged posted:

I watched Picard Season 3 before watching DS9 so I missed bucket references. What was I supposed to have caught?

The bucket is a Bajoran design that Odo happens to own and Picard season 3 makes it seem like every changeling needs to have that specific bucket so much that they bring it on board and hide it in the air vent

It's dumb as hell

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Atlas Hugged posted:

That apparently every Changeling ever sleeps in a bucket identical to Odo’s and that we should search the entire ship looking for this one kind of bucket as evidence of who is or isn’t a Changeling

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lmao: I had somehow managed to absolutely memory hole the existence of changelings in Picard

Wow that season really WAS a smorgasborg of poo poo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ooooh I remember that happening and didn't think twice about it because again I wasn't familiar with DS9 at the time (I spent the summer binging the whole thing: loving phenomenal).

I really like the first 4 episodes of Picard S3 before you find out the villain is a pseudo-Changeling. Everything after that run is garbage.

Also the Fascist Picard episode of S2 is a pretty good laugh if you don't take it too seriously and pretend it's just a goofy one-off or something.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The context not even being mentioned is that mid way through DS9 Odo stops using the bucket permanently because he's no longer as ashamed of his liquid form after meeting more of his kind. It was basically a dependence he'd formed entirely through being raised by solids not something he actually needed.

It really was the dumbest kind of reference, even before you get to the "changlings on deep infiltration missions carry around a big object that identifies them as a changling" bit

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Warthur posted:

And I feel bad for anyone who actually liked season 1 and 2 who then watched season 3. They're probably rare, but they didn't deserve their goodwill being spat on like that. Season 3 dunks on anyone who liked S1-S2 just as hard as those seasons dunk on us for liking TNG. Remember the bit where Troi and Riker talk about how much they hated that house they lived in during Nepenthe? Came across like the show outright saying that season 1 was rubbish, and that's true but drat don't go around reminding us of it if you've realised that.

It’s me, I’m the guy who got real mad about S3 trying so hard to be an entirely different show that they just removed the opening credits entirely. The opening credits, one of the defining elements of every Star Trek series, gone, because otherwise we would be reminded that we’re watching Star Trek: Picard, not TNG.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the first 3 episodes of picard s03 are kinda good.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I forget if odo got all the carpet taken out of his room when he got around to redecorating with all the tchotchkes from the local space Bed, Bath, and Beyond. relaxing in a liquid state must be annoying if you accumulate lint off the floor

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Picard never happened, there are only four current Star Trek TV shows

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Always dug that episode of DS9 where the crew get possessed by space ghosts (Sisko builds a clock and keeps it for the rest of the series!) and Odo's body basically fights off the "infection" by blowing his own head up with the world's most violent sneeze and waking up in the medbay a-ok.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's actually a bunch they can still do with the Gamma Quadrant, the Dominion, and the Changelings.

At some point, the Female Changeling is going to finish her sentence on a penal colony and she'll be returned to the Great Link. René Auberjonois might be dead, but the thing with Odo and the Changelings is that Odo doesn't have to continue to exist, or at least not as he was prior to his return home. There is only the Great Link and it can pour out enough goo to create a new Changeling that is a synthesis of the Link and Odo's experiences and beliefs, better, faster, stronger, etc.

The Dominion itself is going to be seeing serious upheaval and that is going to have a cascading effect across the entire quadrant. There are surely loads of civilizations who either had been fleeing from the Dominion or wanted to escape it that would love to either join the Federation or ask for its protection. The Jem'hadar and the Vorta have some serious existential questions to ask themselves, though there are genetic limits to that that also need to be addressed, and I'm sure your Doctors Bashir would love to get to work on DNA sequencing and gene therapy. Hell, they could probably get Brent Spiner to play another clone of himself to join in on that if they wanted to more explicitly link it to the aesthetics of modern Trek.

Of course none of this will happen because the people running the franchise have no interest in actually learning the drat lore in a meaningful way and then treating it with an ounce of respect.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

M’Benga’s psycho juice sure seems like it would have come in handy fighting the Jem Hadar all those years later, huh..

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

some kinda jackal posted:

M’Benga’s psycho juice sure seems like it would have come in handy fighting the Jem Hadar all those years later, huh..

ketracel green is people!

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Picard: Season 3: Reading Off Weapons Loadout Scans To Build Tension.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Warthur posted:

It's wild because there were so many TNG adversaries who could also be revisited. The Cardassians! That'd be great! They're ripe for checking in on to see how they're doing post-Dominion War and the "there are four lights" thing is just as widely memed as Picard facepalming or the Borg.

The Borg are now in the just constant new Trek treadmill like tribbles and the kobiyashi maru. Whatever meaning they've had has just kind of been eroded off by complete overuse since people know they're popular races or concepts that people with a medium understanding of Trek know, so we're just gonna see em again and again and again.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Like he told the special forces Andorian guy, it's better that thousands die including civilians rather than a solider use a stim that may cause adverse health problems.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean, we don't give our soldiers meth anymore.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Clouseau posted:

The Borg are now in the just constant new Trek treadmill like tribbles and the kobiyashi maru. Whatever meaning they've had has just kind of been eroded off by complete overuse since people know they're popular races or concepts that people with a medium understanding of Trek know, so we're just gonna see em again and again and again.

That's mostly a Voyager problem. There's many things you can say about Picard but it used the Borg better than anything Voyager past Scorpion and closed the book on them in their original form.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Starfleet banning dangerous and mind-altering combat drugs on ethical grounds is good actually.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pik_d posted:

Picard never happened, there are only four current Star Trek TV shows

S1 eps 1-4, and 7
S2 the first and last Q scenes, the trophy room on fascist Earth
S3 eps 1-4 and 9-10

If you watch any more of Picard than that that's self-harm.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Starfleet banning dangerous and mind-altering combat drugs on ethical grounds is good actually.

To say nothing of M'Benga being deeply traumatized by his experiences with the drug and flatly refusing to back to that head space.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MikeJF posted:

I mean, we don't give our soldiers meth anymore.

Amphetamine was still technically approved for use in USAF until like 10 years ago. other go pills are still used. In Gulf War 1 it was mostly Dexedrine, nowadays modafinil

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah but go pills are mainly for keeping people awake and alert during overlong deployments and engagements, they’re not m’bengas berserker packs and basically all proper militaries stopped trying to do that sort of thing decades ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

E:NM

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

maybealabia posted:

The bucket is a Bajoran design that Odo happens to own and Picard season 3 makes it seem like every changeling needs to have that specific bucket so much that they bring it on board and hide it in the air vent

It's dumb as hell

Didnt Quark even come this close to actually managing to bribe Odo with a latinum bucket to sleep in?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
You know what. I ain't particularly fascinated by Picard season 1. Feels a lot like Discovery. But it's a fun shoot-shoot adventure I suppose. Felt good seeing Troi and Riker though, and it just hit me I'd like a Riker cooking show. Raffi is also a cool character.

Edit: Honestly my biggest complaint is that this plot somehow has to be tied to the end of the galaxy and Romulan mythology? I would've been more fine with this being a season of Picard just out to save what he thinks is Data's daughter because the remnants of the Tal Shiar and the Tal Shiarest Tal Shiar refuse to let go of their glorious past, and are willing to risk a new war with the federation just to have an upper hand again. Would've fit thematically with the whole everyone dunking on Picard for thinking he's something special or whatever they're trying to do.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 30, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

You know what. I ain't particularly fascinated by Picard season 1. Feels a lot like Discovery. But it's a fun shoot-shoot adventure I suppose. Felt good seeing Troi and Riker though, and it just hit me I'd like a Riker cooking show. Raffi is also a cool character.

PIC S1 is at least, as some people have pointed out, something that could by editing and overdubbing be made into OK 5-episode limited series or one average 3-hour TNG movie.

If you forgive the ending fleet and space tentacle stuff being extra stupid because COVID-19 messed with the post-production and that part particularly, its mostly a coherent story about trying to find the Soong colony, and evidence for Tal Shiar tampering with the AI's to rebel against federation, while on the run from authorities before the Romulans find it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stalins Moustache posted:

Edit: Honestly my biggest complaint is that this plot somehow has to be tied to the end of the galaxy and Romulan mythology? I would've been more fine with this being a season of Picard just out to save what he thinks is Data's daughter because the remnants of the Tal Shiar and the Tal Shiarest Tal Shiar refuse to let go of their glorious past, and are willing to risk a new war with the federation just to have an upper hand again. Would've fit thematically with the whole everyone dunking on Picard for thinking he's something special or whatever they're trying to do.

Congrats you've just watched, in hindsight, the objectively best season of Picard. It's all downhill from there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Make a show where Riker goes into the holodeck and cooks with Pike.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Personally I liked the PIC S3 more but 99% out of that was nostalgia reasons and getting the epilogue chapter for the main TNG characters. Jack should have been shot for a high treason, f***ing traitorous nepobaby who voluntarily joined Borg forces.

...And BTW that epilogue idea was originally planned but cut early into development from the Nemesis script, because it would have ensured that no more TNG movies will be made. Instead they used the rest of the Nemesis script to ensure that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm actually just on episode 7. My face has been pretty neutral throughout this entire show except for Raffi being an exceptional actor and the scene where she met her son made me sad :smith:
I smiled wiiiidely upon having Picard meet with Troi and Riker again though. And hell yeah, Riker and Pike holodeck cook-out episode must happen.