Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Isn't the perpetual problem with "grill pizzas" that the heat source is situated well below the pizza, making it very challenging to cook the top of the pizza at a decent speed? Also, since the heat source is relatively far away from the stone, wouldn't you have issues making repeated pizzas back to back? The pellet smoker inserts I'm looking at don't really look like they do much to alleviate that

That's definitely been my experience when using my smoker. It's not really any different to using my oven, bar the greater capacity.

The inserts I've seen sit directly over the fire pot, which channels the heat into the pizza oven. It makes it seem for more efficient for cooking a pizza.

This is how I do multiple pizzas at once

I've been fairly happy with the results so far, but I'm still curious how a pizza oven insert would compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Made dough yesterday and slapped out some quick pan pizzas tonight. One pepperoni, brick cheese, and sort of NY style lazy uncooked sauce from a can of san marzano. Was beautifully poofy and wonderful and cuppy. The other is leftover smoked pork shoulder, red onion, bbq sauce, mozz, and the obvious green onion and half-jalapeno. It was midwest-sweet and sticky and smoky and perfect. I was running out of time and understretched (and underproofed) the dough, but that just led to more cheese crisp on the edges because it didn't fill the pan perfectly. 10/10, will pizza again soon.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hypnolobster posted:

Made dough yesterday and slapped out some quick pan pizzas tonight. One pepperoni, brick cheese, and sort of NY style lazy uncooked sauce from a can of san marzano. Was beautifully poofy and wonderful and cuppy. The other is leftover smoked pork shoulder, red onion, bbq sauce, mozz, and the obvious green onion and half-jalapeno. It was midwest-sweet and sticky and smoky and perfect. I was running out of time and understretched (and underproofed) the dough, but that just led to more cheese crisp on the edges because it didn't fill the pan perfectly. 10/10, will pizza again soon.

these look unbelievably good

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Crossposting because I think it worked

After many months of lack of progress at reliably making a consistent pizza dough using the countertop preferment/refrigerated final proof method, I made an improvised chiller for my poolish out of things I already had: thermostat, chest freezer, and cooler.

The result: easy to work dough that slid off the peel like it was on bearings. And at .16 kWh, it consumes a miniscule amount of energy compared to keeping the AC on full blast at :20bux:/day.

Progress! :science:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Only just found this thread.

I have a breville pizzaiolo, which is an electric benchtop version, and I'm still working on perfecting the process, but its been good so far.

That was the first thing that popped out of the oven.

Going to try for longer ferments on my next batch of dough, and im loving the thought of using paper to help with the launch.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Going to try for longer ferments on my next batch of dough, and im loving the thought of using paper to help with the launch.

I use baking paper under mine for convenience. It makes assembling then so much more efficient and minimises clean-up, and transporting them is easier.

Part of my process is baking them on the pizza stone for about 5 minutes, then rotating them and removing the paper and completing the rest of the bake directly on the pizza stone.

Once everything is cooked, I transfer it back on to the baking paper for slicing because it makes transferring to the dinner plate so much easier.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

NPR Journalizard posted:

Only just found this thread.

I have a breville pizzaiolo, which is an electric benchtop version, and I'm still working on perfecting the process, but its been good so far.

That was the first thing that popped out of the oven.

Hello fellow Pizzaiolo goon! I have one too and it’s great. You’ll find it has one downside, which is that it doesn’t get as hot as an outdoor oven, which makes it tough (though not impossible) to make a real Neapolitan style pie. But that’s outweighed by the ease of use and the fact that I don’t have to leave my kitchen when it’s cold and rainy!

I recommend swapping out the metal peel that came with the oven for a wooden one; you’ll find wood will launch the pizza better and with a little practice you won’t need to use parchment. I use the metal peel for retrieving the pizza when it is cooked.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Ogopogo, I’m in Yukon Pizza right now, eating your pizza. Face me coward!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So

drat

Good.

Wife understandably loved it too.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Doom Rooster posted:

So

drat

Good.

Wife understandably loved it too.

Hell yes! Turns out yesterday was my day off - sorry I missed you my dude!! I’m glad y’all enjoyed the pizzas <3

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Also posted in the dinner thread:

I made pizzas last night on the smoker. I tried out a wholemeal dough for the first time.

I was a little worried when the dough was stickier then usual, but everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I guess I'm making them this way from now on.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Got a minor mozzarella crisis going on here. My closest Walmart has been sold out of whole milk low moisture blocks for weeks, none of the other local stores have ever carried it, and Costco stopped selling Bella Rosano. I’ll probably run out this weekend. My options are to buy it for $8/lb from a supermarket deli (ouch) or use part-skim (an affront to God).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Do you have a restaurant supply store in the area? The ones here I can go in and buy bulk like a restaurant. But they’ll have giant 5-7# blocks of the stuff.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

That's a good idea, it turns out there's one that's sorta on my way to work. I'll check there tomorrow morning.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Jhet posted:

Do you have a restaurant supply store in the area? The ones here I can go in and buy bulk like a restaurant. But they’ll have giant 5-7# blocks of the stuff.

This. A lot of restaurant supply stores sell to the general public. I buy 5-lb blocks or bags of shredded whole-milk mozz for like $13 (bay area, so you know it's cheap). They also tend to carry all kinds of flour and prep equipment for reasonably cheap.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The Restaurant Depot near me sells King Arthur special patent for like $.25/lb. It's a fantastic bread flour that seems like it shines in no knead and slow ferment doughs.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Went to the local CHEF'STORE and immediately noticed that the prices are all 30-50% lower than what I've been paying at Walmart and Amazon. I'm going to have to try the Graincraft Power flour once my All Trumps starts running low. Walked out with 10lbs of mozzarella and 5lbs of pepperoni. Totally normal behavior and I can stop at any time.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 28, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yes, I agree it is totally normal behavior.

You can buy a ton of dry goods that have high turnover in your house or are shelf stable this way and it’s still going to be cheaper than Costco too. 50# bags of rice and flour are not unwise.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Not having to pay Amazon prices for Cambro tubs is worth the trip IMO. I have a couple 5 gallon ones that work great for flour, keep the dang rodents out. I like the 5 qt ones for proofing dough too, can make a ton of dough without having to worry about it overflowing.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

bees x1000 posted:

Went to the local CHEF'STORE and immediately noticed that the prices are all 30-50% lower than what I've been paying at Walmart and Amazon. I'm going to have to try the Graincraft Power flour once my All Trumps starts running low. Walked out with 10lbs of mozzarella and 5lbs of pepperoni. Totally normal behavior and I can stop at any time.

That's where I shop for pizza stuff (SF bay area). I can recommend the flour, it's good stuff. I bought a bag of graincraft power flour, that worked well. Their Neopolitan 00 pizza flour is also good, I'm using that now and getting good results.

I do wish I could get semolina in bags smaller than 50 lb though....

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Upgrade posted:

sometimes you just want an easy pizza.

this is what I call my easiest, lowest common denominator pizza, using store bought dough, cooking in the oven, and rolling it out on parchment paper (which i then remove after about 30 seconds of cooking). it's 90% as good as homemade fermented dough in the ooni, but, like, 10 minutes of actual work, and so much less effort.

my oven is also terrible so if i can do this anyone can.

i can post a longer walk through if anyone is interested, but its so easy its a much less intimidating way to get into pizza vs. some of what gets posted here.

This post was useful, thanks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What makes some thinnish crust pizzas puffier than others? Is it more gluten development+a higher temperature or something else?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

No Wave posted:

What makes some thinnish crust pizzas puffier than others? Is it more gluten development+a higher temperature or something else?

In my experience (so super anecdotal), it has a lot to do with hydration too. My pizzas were blowing up like balloons when my dough was around 70% hydration. Now I'm around 60% and they are crispy and more "normal" puffy.
I'm cooking in a Roccbox for whatever that's worth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

No Wave posted:

Air bubble size

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hand pulling vs rolling makes a big difference too.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hand pulling vs rolling makes a big difference too.

i think like 70% of it is this. making sure not to completely flatten the 'cornicione' when forming the pizza. the air you leave in the crust will create awesome bubbles

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Oooeeee

Brush your crust with olive oil before the bake, fries the crust up real nice!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mama mia

what kind of pep do you use?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

mama mia

Pepto bismol

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

mama mia

It’s called Rosa Grande, which I believe is the commercial version of the Hormel Cup n Char

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I made sourdough pizza dough last night. My fridge is kinda cold so I left it on the counter in ziplocs for like an hour and a half to wake up the starter. No activity.

Well, it wasn't all that warm in my kitchen, so I put it in the oven with the light on (~90F) for about an hour. Still nothing.

I put it in the fridge in its usual spot (crisper drawer at ~40F). I check back today, still nothing. What should I attribute this to? Can I still salvage this batch by throwing it back in the stand mixer with regular yeast?

Recipe:
- 900g neopolitan 00 pizza flour
- 600g water
- 350g starter
- 15g olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
(salt I'll add just before baking)

I mixed everything, hydrated for 5 minutes, kneaded for ~6 minutes in my stand mixer.

Variables:
- Starter was in cold fridge, like 35F. It's made from a leftover crust from last batch + flour & water
- I mixed it up before I left on a business trip, then didn't touch it for 2 weeks
- No salt in initial dough mix
- Less olive oil than usual

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
No yeast?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It was a sourdough starter. I am assuming it is a perpetuation of the previous dough, and the previous-previous dough, and so on back to some primordial Eve starter.

The bread thread may have more to say about tricks for that. I do use some sourdough, but it is tempered with regular yeast. When I wondered how my starter was doing, I would stir some off and let it go on some fresh flour all day on the counter. It has always puffed up on that.

I wonder if that hour at 90F really did anything. That's quite a pile of dough and you could have moved it around a bit to circulate that heat inside.

I guess if the gluten structure was poor, all the gas could just belched out, but that would probably be some other departure from procedure that I bet you would have brought up first.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It was a sourdough starter. I am assuming it is a perpetuation of the previous dough, and the previous-previous dough, and so on back to some primordial Eve starter.

The bread thread may have more to say about tricks for that. I do use some sourdough, but it is tempered with regular yeast. When I wondered how my starter was doing, I would stir some off and let it go on some fresh flour all day on the counter. It has always puffed up on that.

I wonder if that hour at 90F really did anything. That's quite a pile of dough and you could have moved it around a bit to circulate that heat inside.

I guess if the gluten structure was poor, all the gas could just belched out, but that would probably be some other departure from procedure that I bet you would have brought up first.

The initial sourdough starter is from a goon a few months back, so idk its history. Normally with straight yeast, an hour on the counter will perk it up, and it'll be firmly at attention after an hour at 90F.

The gluten structure is probably fine, there didn't appear to be any additional gas in the ziplocs. I guess I'll check with the bread thread as to why my bread bed is dead

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Was the starter itself actually doing anything before you put it into the pizza? Have you been feeding it, does it bubble up?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Nettle Soup posted:

Was the starter itself actually doing anything before you put it into the pizza? Have you been feeding it, does it bubble up?

lol, 2 weeks later...

It ended up turning out ok. I managed to get some detectable ferment in it by the time I needed to use it, and it rose as expected and tasted tasty.

I'm looking for inspiration. What kind of pizza-adjacent things do you make? what other kind of flatbreads do you make in your oven?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

HolHorsejob posted:

lol, 2 weeks later...

It ended up turning out ok. I managed to get some detectable ferment in it by the time I needed to use it, and it rose as expected and tasted tasty.

I'm looking for inspiration. What kind of pizza-adjacent things do you make? what other kind of flatbreads do you make in your oven?

You could do an artistic focaccia. A calzone is a folded pizza.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Other things pizza ovens are good at: Naan, piadina, pinsa,

I really like pane carasau / gutiau and have been meaning to try this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBP-bnYCSc

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Khachapuri work really well too (and are amazing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Fantastic ideas, all. I'm gonna try the khachapuri soon, and maybe the pan carasau. Makes me want to try my hand at papadam as well