Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Ok so it's not the oil level then, thanks folks. Now I'm just left wondering what tf they did to my car because the difference is night and day and it definitely started right after the change. Hopefully they can figure it out when I bring it in.

Are you measuring the fuel economy yourself by tracking the mileage and the amount of fuel you're adding? If you're using the car's digital display to guess at fuel economy I would say at least do a tank of fuel's calculations the old fashioned way just to make sure.

The only way I could see overfilling affecting mileage would be if the oil was getting into the intake manifold by means of the crankcase breathers/PCV system. Extra oil in the intake charge could throw off AFR and cause it to run rich, lowering fuel economy. The mechanical aspect of the crankshaft balancers dipping into the oil would not be expected (by me) to cause friction, but could get oil aerosolized in a way that puts much more oil than normal into the breather system.

e: I'm not a mechanic but this would be my best guess at why you might be seeing poor mileage after an overfill of oil. I would have a hard time trying to convince an oil shop they need to pay for another shop to clean the intake tract/replace the spark plugs/etc. Might want to just drain the oil to the appropriate level and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Check your air filter. That kind of change makes me think they looked at it and reinstalled it wrong.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VelociBacon posted:

I think you should probably try again but turn it another 1/4 turn (for a total of 1/2) and see if that works. I wonder if you're creating such a vacuum from the bleed nipple being partly closed, such that it's pulling air in via the threads or the connections in the vacuum bleeder line. You don't want to go crazy and start unscrewing that nipple by multiple turns but it's not going to really fall out either if you have to go 1/2 turn or more. You will see brake fluid weeping around the threads before it falls out.

That did help somewhat but I think I discovered that my main issue was that these vacuum bleeders can pull air in down the threads of the bleeder valve. I noticed this because with the valve closed and fluid in the tube it would have bubbles coming out of the center of the valve, just like it was being bled but with the valve closed. To solve this I opened it 2-3 full turns and put a little brake lubricant grease on the threads and closed it. After that I was able to proceed like normal and when bleeding I wouldn't be pulling air through when it was closed. Apparently this is just a thing with vacuum bleeders from what I've seen other people say when I was looking up grease on bleeder threads. It only took a few minutes to bleed the air out after that since the caliper was probably mostly full except for a little bit due to all my prior efforts.

In trying to diagnose whether it was the valve or the tool I decided to try it on the other side since the fluid's super clean in the rear passenger brake line now. However, I began to round over the bleeder on that side trying to crack it loose. I'm going to finish up and live with the dirty fluid in the rest of the system for now. I will address it another time, like when I have parts to replace the valves and have looked at methods to replace them, and have more brake fluid. I've used maybe 20oz so far and while it was almost all required to get the one line clear, I have no idea how much the other three lines would take. I know it needs to be done but not today.

In conclusion, that's not Tropicana:

and

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

El Jeffe posted:

Ok so it's not the oil level then, thanks folks. Now I'm just left wondering what tf they did to my car because the difference is night and day and it definitely started right after the change. Hopefully they can figure it out when I bring it in.

Check you tire pressures and see if your brakes are dragging.

The brakes is just a coincidental thing (see if any of them are cooking after you park it) but some oil change shops sometimes check the air in your tires and maybe they screwed something up.

Rexxed posted:

That did help somewhat but I think I discovered that my main issue was that these vacuum bleeders can pull air in down the threads of the bleeder valve.

And this is why my vacuum bleeder is now the pick-up receptacle for my Motive pressure bleeder. Went through the exact same arc as you (with a Harbor Freight compressed-air vacuum unit); thought I was losing my mind. gently caress vacuum bleeders.

VV If I still had one of those on call, I wouldn't be bleeding brakes by myself. He's now 30 and a scientific glassmaker. VV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 30, 2023

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have a pressure bleeder too but really all you need is any person, even a kid, to pump the brake pedal for you when you crack the bleeder open.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

sleepy gary posted:

I have a pressure bleeder too but really all you need is any person, even a kid, to pump the brake pedal for you when you crack the bleeder open.

I feel like having kids would be more of an investment than the bleeder tools.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The bleeder tools are less likely to steal your car in the middle of the night to go to a friend's house in about 15 years

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

These days I have a teenager who would love to help me with my car if a) it wasn't god's perfect vehicle requiring no maintenance (GTI) and b) if I was allowed to do literally anything in my underground parking.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wondering if there’s any conventional wisdom or advice on insurance my gf should follow now that the car is paid off.

It’s a 2018 rav4, 60k miles, apparently still worth ~20k somehow (according to googling my gf did), and we’re in NYC. Shes planning on keeping the car for the car for years more. She had comprehensive and collision coverage but now the loan is paid is paid off, and she’s trying to figure out if she should drop it to just liability or somewhere in between that and what’s she’s got now. I don’t know much about insurance so I figured I should ask here.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Snowy posted:

Wondering if there’s any conventional wisdom or advice on insurance my gf should follow now that the car is paid off.

It’s a 2018 rav4, 60k miles, apparently still worth ~20k somehow (according to googling my gf did), and we’re in NYC. Shes planning on keeping the car for the car for years more. She had comprehensive and collision coverage but now the loan is paid is paid off, and she’s trying to figure out if she should drop it to just liability or somewhere in between that and what’s she’s got now. I don’t know much about insurance so I figured I should ask here.

I've always kept comp and collision, but then again I've had vehicles stolen and totaled so I learned my lesson. If you don't have money sitting around to buy a new one, keep insurance on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can you afford to replace the vehicle if it gets stolen/torched/flooded/otherwise completely and irreparably destroyed?

There's no way I wouldn't have comp and collision on that car. I was going to say "maybe rethink that in the future when the vehicle is old and cheap" but it's not going to be old and cheap for a long time.

Also, old and cheap vehicles are very cheap to have comp and collision on. Comprehensive with $0 deductible glass, collision, and even rental reimbursement, is a whopping $29 every six months on my 2002 Wrangler. Obviously insurance rates vary wildly based on where you live and other factors but I cannot fathom comp and collision costing more than $100-200 every six months on that Toyota.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I only keep PLPD (bare minimum required) on my Saturn Vue, but that’s mostly because it’s only worth $500

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I actually just increased my coverage on my 2015 Fiesta ST that's been paid off for years because it was so little extra.

Take what it would cost you to replace the car and compare it to what the comprehensive coverage costs. How many years of insurance payments is the car worth? How much of the total cost of ownership of the vehicle does the coverage make up?

If the insurance costs are a significant percentage of the car's value then sure, maybe it makes sense to drop to liability and maybe throw that money in a separate account to "self-insure" against the loss of the vehicle, but a 2018 RAV4 almost certainly makes sense to have comprehensive on. I'd do liability for a car that cost low four figures without a second thought but not $20k.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also consider that we're still coming off of an unprecedented period of high used car values - the replacement cost / market value of most used cars is still more than you'd expect.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks for all the insurance advice, looks like she’s going to keep the insurance and we’ll shop around to maybe get a better deal, NYC is brutal.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

For the first time since i got it new, i've run my car past its recommended oil change interval. 2015 prius, ~150k miles. oil change supposed to be every ten thousand, this one went 16. Besides "don't do that again" is there anything preventative I can do to minimize the chances this'll bite me in the rear end down the road?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cactus Ghost posted:

For the first time since i got it new, i've run my car past its recommended oil change interval. 2015 prius, ~150k miles. oil change supposed to be every ten thousand, this one went 16. Besides "don't do that again" is there anything preventative I can do to minimize the chances this'll bite me in the rear end down the road?

Don’t do it again

Also, at 150k+ I’d be doing every 5-7k myself, personally

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You could 'flush' it. Basically drive 1000-2000km and do another oil and filter change.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A small rock hit my windshield on the highway yesterday. It didn't penetrate fully. Is this something I can fix myself or is it better to take it to a windshield place and if so, what's a rough cost for that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A small rock hit my windshield on the highway yesterday. It didn't penetrate fully. Is this something I can fix myself or is it better to take it to a windshield place and if so, what's a rough cost for that?

you cannot fix a windshield yourself

a place should be able to sort it for ~$200, unless you live in a state where your insurance has to cover it in which case it shouldn't cost you anything

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cactus Ghost posted:

Using a good quality synthetic oil and oil filter like Mobil 1 will help for those times you go over the interval but yeah try not to do that.

His Divine Shadow posted:

You could 'flush' it. Basically drive 1000-2000km and do another oil and filter change.

That's not really needed. A good synthetic oil and it will be fine, just don't use cheap lovely oil and you won't have to worry about it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

grab a windshield repair kit.

I use the rainx ones with good success.
read the instructions thoroughly and comprehend them. read them again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

you cannot fix a windshield yourself

a place should be able to sort it for ~$200, unless you live in a state where your insurance has to cover it in which case it shouldn't cost you anything

cursedshitbox posted:

grab a windshield repair kit.

I use the rainx ones with good success.
read the instructions thoroughly and comprehend them. read them again.

:munch:

If the repair kit works to stop the cracks from expanding that's probably enough for me. I still need to replace my tires and get the AC fixed so whatever I can save money on otherwise is great for me.

Indiana, being a poo poo hole, does not require insurance to cover it. I'll have to look at my policy to see if it does anyway though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Project Farm on youtube just did a review of home windshield fix kits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fxxfZDOD1U

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I believe you mean Project Farm on Youtube just did a review of home windshield fix kits!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Are the blind spot monitors on modern cars typically ultrasonic? Or are they radar? Or some sort of optical system?

The other day on the freeway in the middle of nowhere between cities, hours after dark, I saw a dark gray or black Altima that was driving with its lights completely off. At first I thought I was going crazy because I could barely see it in my side mirrors, and then when it passed me I realized that yes, that's a car and not just a weird reflection or effect on the barrier.

Anyway, dude just kept on driving and never turned on his lights, he was in my range of sight for about 15 or 20 minutes at least. I noticed that ACC could see him because of radar, but my eyes barely could. I was realizing that cars with their lights off are going to be basically invisible to optical or camera based systems, but show up perfectly fine to radar. I wonder how Teslas are going to handle that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Iirc those detection systems use lidar

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Nah, blind spot monitoring and ACC are both radar typically. LIDAR is a big ol' spinning sensor that you'd see.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Are the blind spot monitors on modern cars typically ultrasonic? Or are they radar? Or some sort of optical system?

The other day on the freeway in the middle of nowhere between cities, hours after dark, I saw a dark gray or black Altima that was driving with its lights completely off. At first I thought I was going crazy because I could barely see it in my side mirrors, and then when it passed me I realized that yes, that's a car and not just a weird reflection or effect on the barrier.

Anyway, dude just kept on driving and never turned on his lights, he was in my range of sight for about 15 or 20 minutes at least. I noticed that ACC could see him because of radar, but my eyes barely could. I was realizing that cars with their lights off are going to be basically invisible to optical or camera based systems, but show up perfectly fine to radar. I wonder how Teslas are going to handle that.

Do most states have no automatic headlights? Here in western Canada all cars have their headlights on if the car is on, by regulation. It's not the same for taillights though and the new cars that don't dim your instruments when your lights are off are causing a lot of morons to drive around at night with no rear lights on at all.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Do most states have no automatic headlights? Here in western Canada all cars have their headlights on if the car is on, by regulation. It's not the same for taillights though and the new cars that don't dim your instruments when your lights are off are causing a lot of morons to drive around at night with no rear lights on at all.

Daytime running lights are not required in any state in the US. Growing up in Michigan, you could always tell a vehicle that had be imported from Canada because it had DRLs. Of course, we were also taught in Driver's Ed to turn our headlights on during the day to make the vehicle more visible, especially for people driving white cars in winter.

In the past few years, DRLs have become standard on every vehicle I've driven manufactured since 2013, but the headlight control is separate, and can (generally) be changed between automatic, on, parking and off. On my Ram work truck, I can use the settings on the entertainment display to turn the DRLs on or off, but the headlights are a separate knob left of the steering wheel.

Generally autolamps for headlights was hit or miss for the last 20 years. My 1999 Explorer had automatic headlights. My 2001 Expedition which is a higher trim level doesn't. My 2007 Focus didn't. My Wife's 2016 Explorer does.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Having grown up in Sweden I just keep my low beams on all the time since I want to be seen when driving

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah it's incredible what a difference it makes to have half beams on, or some other position lights, compared to a car driving dark, the difference in noticeability is so staggering I am surprised anyone would drive without lights.

In Sweden iirc cars are made so they cannot run dark, even if you turn the selector to off the parking lights still shine when the car is running. Same on modern cars in Finland, though my old rear end from 1990 car can be made to run dark, but I dunno why you would want to? I just leave the half beams on, it's automatic so I never have to think about it, it's better than my other car which is 20 years newer in that respect. Cars even look better with some lights on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Even if they’re not required, the crash statistics on DRL vs no daytime lights are a pretty strong endorsement for lighting up

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah it's incredible what a difference it makes to have half beams on, or some other position lights, compared to a car driving dark, the difference in noticeability is so staggering I am surprised anyone would drive without lights.

In Sweden iirc cars are made so they cannot run dark, even if you turn the selector to off the parking lights still shine when the car is running. Same on modern cars in Finland, though my old rear end from 1990 car can be made to run dark, but I dunno why you would want to? I just leave the half beams on, it's automatic so I never have to think about it, it's better than my other car which is 20 years newer in that respect. Cars even look better with some lights on.

What if I want to follow someone without being detected

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

What if I want to follow someone without being detected

Paint the car tiger striped

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I believe Canada is mandating tail lights be included with the DRLs as of this year or next model year. Here's hoping that carries over to the US out of cost efficiency. The number of dark cars in the rain and fog is too drat high.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My Ducati Scrambler has daytime running lights and some kind of auto light sensor but I can't really figure out how it works. Sometimes it starts with an auto symbol, sometimes not. The normal green headlight symbol seems to come on when the DRL are lit up. I would much rather just have the low beam on constantly like all other bikes.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

:confused:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guy Axlerod posted:

I believe Canada is mandating tail lights be included with the DRLs as of this year or next model year. Here's hoping that carries over to the US out of cost efficiency. The number of dark cars in the rain and fog is too drat high.

Tail lights with DRLs would be a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm fully in favor of cars being like bikes where all the lights are on when it's switched on and there's nothing you can do about it. Way too many people happily cruising around in their rain colored cars with no lights on at all in heavy storms or at night.