Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I dunno about numbers, but it feels like PC gaming has gotten way bigger in the 12 years since Skyrim released. I could see Steam not having a horde of players all at release back then (as opposed to console players), but I bet Skyrim has had one of the more consistent year to year player counts for such an old game.

Pretty regular yeah, it continues to see really heavy modding releases and general play as a fantasy sandbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
A segment in one of the videos showed the player fighting enemies on the landing pad and then into a ship while it proceeded to take off.

Hopefully this will be a legit way to capture ships. It would be pretty cool to stowaway on a ship, then incapacitate the crew and take command of their ship.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I can preload on Steam now.

Dunno if I'm late to this party but I couldn't an hour ago.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao $170AU for the premium edition on steam, just insane. It's intangible! ur payin for air!!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

toggle posted:

ur payin for air!!!

Me right before I scuba

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

sure okay posted:

I can preload on Steam now.

Dunno if I'm late to this party but I couldn't an hour ago.
Same boat here.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

There are spoilers floating around already from people who've beat the main quest that get right at the end of the game and what its NG+ entails :asoiaf:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ThaumPenguin posted:

Looks like the Eurogamer review copy issue is a UK-wide problem, so either Brexit messed something up or Microsoft has a bone to pick with the whole country

https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603495934136673
https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603502363939080

Sounds like a certain country should have let Microsoft buy Activision without making a whole thing about it!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
UK got what it deserved. :colbert:

(Eurogamer said a bit ago a few hours after that story they were sent a review copy, it was probably just something weird happening Bethesda/Microsoft UK's marketing department. Miscommunication or something)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I dunno about numbers, but it feels like PC gaming has gotten way bigger in the 12 years since Skyrim released. I could see Steam not having a horde of players all at release back then (as opposed to console players), but I bet Skyrim has had one of the more consistent year to year player counts for such an old game.

Looks like it. Eldin Ring currently has fewer players than Skyrim, and it's only slightly outpacing FO4, going by the chart site.

BF2042 is completely in the trash where it belongs.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poor UK haters, no longer will they hate on Bethesda, it's only just what they did

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I had an epiphany.

The first ship I'm going to create from scratch will be the Cliff Racer. An agile and small bounty hunter ship. I'm going to turn my Morrowind PTSD into something creative.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maybe they should have voted remain if they wanted Starfields

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not sure if anyone knows how this works...I bought the regular edition through Newegg because they were doing a $10 off on preorders. I see that there is a way to upgrade to the Premium version for an extra charge, which I had thought about purchasing so that I could get the early access, but when I look at what is included in that it seems like the upgrade doesn't come with the early access. Maybe I'm wrong?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hope it's at least a bit like X4 in that I can hire wagies to do all the boring poo poo I don't want to do. Just keep the minerals coming no you aren't getting a raise

Oh poo poo I'll actually be able to play X4 at above minimum settings when my new card comes in

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I had an epiphany.

The first ship I'm going to create from scratch will be the Cliff Racer. An agile and small bounty hunter ship. I'm going to turn my Morrowind PTSD into something creative.

Same TBH, except it'll be the Silt Strider and it'll be as grungy as I can make it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My ship is going to be a big rear end and I'll call it The Piece of poo poo

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Danaru posted:

I hope it's at least a bit like X4 in that I can hire wagies to do all the boring poo poo I don't want to do. Just keep the minerals coming no you aren't getting a raise

I hope you can make your valued associates go through like six airlocks to get to a toilet.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but there is Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, and Skyrim VR. I also don't REALLY know how to read this:

https://steamdb.info/charts/?sort=peak

EDIT
We are absolutely spoiled for excellent games this year, dang. Both BG3 and Armored Core rule.

Skyrim was available as a hard copy for pc. You didnt have to have steam to play. So those numbers are soley for steam pc users.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

Skyrim was available as a hard copy for pc. You didnt have to have steam to play. So those numbers are soley for steam pc users.

:ohno:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

K8.0 posted:

No? You can't get sales data worth dick. However, you can get relative popularity from a number of sources, like player count data where exposed, search trends, number of posts in various places, etc. Compare the Google Trends for Skyrim and The Witcher, it isn't even remotely loving close - and TW3 was HUGE. Google indexes about twice as many reddit posts mentioning Skyrim as The Witcher, and there ain't a Skyrim TV series.

Anyone who thinks any individual RPG other than maybe some Pokemon games (which I will admit I overlooked) that you could combine have player counts that could best Skyrim is bizarrely disconnected from reality. It's probably the second most independently sold video game of all time behind GTA V.

TW3 was literally given away for free when the witcher TV series started you moron. Copies sold would be a misnomer when you could get it for free for a long enough time. There isn't a TES show but there certainly is a fallout one.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

kri kri posted:

For a YouTuber

MaTN did the inverse hbomberguy thing of defending fallout 3. I think he did a far better job of it too.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

ThaumPenguin posted:

Looks like the Eurogamer review copy issue is a UK-wide problem, so either Brexit messed something up or Microsoft has a bone to pick with the whole country

https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603495934136673
https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603502363939080

Bummer for Jon from MATN.

He’s my favorite YouTuber and has been for many years. He’s done some amazing stuff with BGS games.

I’m on dad vacay from Thursday night to Sunday morning so I’m looking forward to coming up for air next week and will then check in on some initial impressions. Remap will be streaming at embargo (like most everyone) and I’d love to hear what Rob thinks of it, but not until I’m 20+ hours in or something like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Danaru posted:

The only good RPG is Final Fantasy X and that's because it has blitzball

That is not the only reason I consider FFX the greatest JRPG ever made. However, it is the most important one.

Let's Blitz!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My ceremonial cacao is arriving the same day as this game, I'm ready to drink my nice, bitter hot chocolate drink with a dash of cayenne while getting blazed asf and playing STARFIELD!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does the premium edition get you anything other than early access?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Beve Stuscemi posted:

First xpac as well

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

you get items that make the early game easier and you effectively pay $5-10 more for the first dlc

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I entered some numbers into a spreadsheet. Why? No good answer for that.

In November 2011, Steam's daily user count was around 4.6 million, which means that at launch, Skyrim's player count represented 6% of the daily online Steam users (people which had the client running on their computers). We do not have numbers for active users (actually in-game) for that period. Still, that's actually really high compared to the rest - BG3's best day was only a bit above 3% of the total player population, while Cyberpunk was around 4.5%.

...this isn't a great way of counting players, obviously, as the online player count has been steadily rising over time (the peak was 33 million earlier this year). A more useful metric that has seen less inflation is in-game users*, but this only started getting tracked in 2017 on SteamDB. However, using that we can see that that at Cyberpunk's release, it had 17% of all players, or about 1 out of every 6 active Steam users.

For Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3, they each had roughly 10% of the total in-game users.

Given how many people are gonna be playing through Game Pass, I don't think Starfield's Steam numbers will break any records.

* Kind of. I think many bot accounts are logged in 24/7, so they will skew the in-game numbers a little bit. Enough to matter? Well... the Capcom Arcade Stadium F2P games got close to 500K peak players when they released trading card updates. There's definitely tons of bots out there.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Todd Howard's Shartfailed 3000

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ErrEff posted:

In November 2011, Steam's daily user count was around 4.6 million, which means that at launch, Skyrim's player count represented 6% of the daily online Steam users (people which had the client running on their computers). We do not have numbers for active users (actually in-game) for that period. Still, that's actually really high compared to the rest - BG3's best day was only a bit above 3% of the total player population, while Cyberpunk was around 4.5%.

...this isn't a great way of counting players, obviously, as the online player count has been steadily rising over time (the peak was 33 million earlier this year). A more useful metric that has seen less inflation is in-game users*, but this only started getting tracked in 2017 on SteamDB. However, using that we can see that that at Cyberpunk's release, it had 17% of all players, or about 1 out of every 6 active Steam users.

For Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3, they each had roughly 10% of the total in-game users.

Given how many people are gonna be playing through Game Pass, I don't think Starfield's Steam numbers will break any records.

* Kind of. I think many bot accounts are logged in 24/7, so they will skew the in-game numbers a little bit. Enough to matter? Well... the Capcom Arcade Stadium F2P games got close to 500K peak players when they released trading card updates. There's definitely tons of bots out there.

Cool spreadsheet, nerd.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ErrEff posted:

nice meltdown

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ZombieCrew posted:

You sure about that? I think all Beth games since FNV have been Steamworks (until 76).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Has anyone said Skyrimjob yet I think that joke might work

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The nerds are now doing math in this thread, we need Starfield NOW Todd!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

todd howard's about to make you his bitch

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you get items that make the early game easier and you effectively pay $5-10 more for the first dlc

Afaik the items are purely cosmetic. You also get the digital soundtrack and art book.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm preloading it on Steam, and also thought it was Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just remembered there's another spaceship game with "Star" in the title still in development. I wonder if they know, oh god that would be so embarrassing...