Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Foolster41 posted:

I tried to run mouseguard once, when I was less experienced as a GM (I don't think I'd run anything at that point as GM, and I wonder if I ran it sort of like D&D since that was the system I was familaur with playing at that point (pre 5e, more 3.5E-4E) and it went pretty badly (though I think that was mostly my fault and not the game) and we quit part way through the session. I'd love to give it another go eventually or play it (though I sadly lost the books, so I'd have to rebuy it first to run it IRL).

The Burning Wheel HQ forums have a great Mouse Guard forum, if you do decide to give it a shot again. Your story is one they've heard a lot, and they can help out a lot.

Mouse Guard is on the continuum of games that tell you very explicitly how to play it and does a good job of presenting the information, but where people sometimes stumble because of the assumptions they've brought to the text or the table from playing other games. Nobilis is at the faaaaar end of this continuum, where everything in the text should be taken literally and is actually telling you how to play it, but is frequently interpreted as "flavor text" or fluff. Mouse Guard is much, much easier to get in to than Nobilis - at least, I've never encountered eight-year-old Nobilis players, but man would that be funny - but the folks who are saying to treat it as its own thing and engage with it on its own terms are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A lot of bad games have GM sections that are useless. This means people often interpret GM sections in general as useless, and then they don’t read it for games where you definitely need to.

Mouse Guard has a whole GM turn structure. You can not wave that away and still be playing Mouse Guard.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Hate to butt in with a question, but I've been really wanting to start a play by post game with my friends on Discord. But its hard when so many of the systems I want to try are specifically made for everyone sitting at the same table for a session. Or even a Discord call.

Are there any systems that work well for asynchronous role playing on Discord?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

lowercase16 posted:

Pendragon
Ars Magica

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

lowercase16 posted:

Hate to butt in with a question, but I've been really wanting to start a play by post game with my friends on Discord. But its hard when so many of the systems I want to try are specifically made for everyone sitting at the same table for a session. Or even a Discord call.

I cannot recommend The Quiet Year strongly enough for asynchronous play.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, no matter what system you pick, the answer should include also playing The Quiet Year. Just cause it’s great and great asynchronous. Very easily turns into a giant session 0/world generating thing.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I'm checking those out now. The Quiet Year and Ars Magica might be something we'd use. I don't think some of my players would be interested in Arthurian honor and courtly manners and the like.

Thanks, though!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

lowercase16 posted:

I'm checking those out now. The Quiet Year and Ars Magica might be something we'd use. I don't think some of my players would be interested in Arthurian honor and courtly manners and the like.

Thanks, though!

Might want to pitch it to them anyway; Pendragon is a fantastic game and the supplements are pretty universally great.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Azran posted:

has anyone played the Root RPG? I didn't expect it to be a PbtA title but it was a pleasant surprise

if you've got PbtA experience it's alright. If you know how to write off how heavy it gets about the implied setting it's okay, and it goes a little weird trying to sell why the vagabonds might be working for everybody.

Like, in the board game the vagabond can get points by trading or assisting with any of the factions, or by doing clearing quests. How is doing a fox clearing quest difference from helping out a fox base of the Woodland Alliance? For that matter what's up with all those cards anyone can play?

Their answer was to introduce a 'denizen' faction, with its own reputation track, and suggest that anyone might have a reason to support the Marquisate or the Eyrie, and even if the Woodland Alliance are banking on popular support that's different from implementing 'the will of the people', if that's even a thing.

How it came out was more like "The fallen monarchy, the colonizers, or the popular revolt? Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Maybe the right thing to do is ship a third of your forest to a distant land and surrender a third of your will to a flickering succession of kings! I am very intelligent."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was all "root rpg? Heck yes let me murderhobo against the catipalist oppressors."
Then:

Glazius posted:

"The fallen monarchy, the colonizers, or the popular revolt? Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Maybe the right thing to do is ship a third of your forest to a distant land and surrender a third of your will to a flickering succession of kings! I am very intelligent."

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

too many threads in tg and i didn't really know where to put this. there's probably a "small publisher rpg" thread but whatevber

background: my brother, sister and gf are players in a d&d 5e campaign im running. my 8 year old daughter was also originally playing as well. since i do most of the mechanical heavy lifting (and my bro now that hes familiar with the system), generally i play like "just tell me what you want your character to do and ill tell you how to do it". the players now get on pretty well with knowing what their characters can do so i dont need to do as much now. but it worked well when my daughter was playing because she was playing a fighter and it was pretty easy for her to be involved. she kinda lapsed out during the summer since its nice out and she's usually outside playing with her friends. but lately she's been wanting to rejoin the campaign. im a bit hesitant because 1) the party is out in the wilderness in the midst of a mini-arc atm, and 2) i dont want her to be dropping in and out, it kinda complicates the flow, obviously. ive been thinking to run one-shots to include her, but lately i stumbled on Mouse Guard

i picked up the compilation of the first season (fall 1152) and my kids freaking love the setting. we've raced through it and read it twice, and my older daughter is reading it again to herself. im thinking the rpg would be a good fit? as long as i do the same where i do the mechanical heavy lifting and just have her tell me what she wants her character to do. i'd probably involve my sister and gf as well so she'll have a couple other party members to help. anyone have any experience with this?

I haven’t played Mouse Guard myself but I would imagine the lighter-weight counterpart is definitely Mausritter. It’s an Into the Odd hack so it’s pretty simple to play - players just have three stats, roll under one of them to do something risky, and otherwise just focus on what their characters are doing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

I was all "root rpg? Heck yes let me murderhobo against the catipalist oppressors."
Then:

And nothing is stopping you from playing it that way, really. The game mechanics are more allegiance-agnostic than allegiance-neutral - you can tie a stone to your marquisate reputation and sink it in the sea and the game will keep ticking over just fine, as wanted posters with increasingly higher bounties and increasingly accurate renditions of your face show up in the shrinking cat territory. There isn't a mechanic to, like, randomly decide "who would be best" for a clearing, that's all up to you.

But the Vagabond isn't a geopolitical actor. Neither is the Woodland Alliance, arguably. In the board game the WA can win without a piece on the board if they light the flame of rebellion in enough hearts. In the board game the Vagabond isn't really taking territory for anyone so much as becoming enough of a local legend that no matter who ends up in charge they'll need to respect the Vagabond's influence.

Root, the RPG, is ultimately not interested in resolving the war, and that lack of an easy end state can be a pretty big weakness.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I mean, that’s not uncommon. I recall the creator of Spire stating that the intended end state of that game is not the completion of the revolution.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

I mean, that’s not uncommon. I recall the creator of Spire stating that the intended end state of that game is not the completion of the revolution.

True. But it's also not really interested in resolving your vagabond, either. A lot of PbtA games will put something in your second-tier advancement options, like a box to tick that says "retire to safety". Root's still fine with letting you do that, but it more comes out of an intersession discussion if you feel like you've run out of ground to cover with your character, rather than being a goal on your character sheet to work toward.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dead horse posted:

I haven’t played Mouse Guard myself but I would imagine the lighter-weight counterpart is definitely Mausritter. It’s an Into the Odd hack so it’s pretty simple to play - players just have three stats, roll under one of them to do something risky, and otherwise just focus on what their characters are doing.

Mausritter and Mouse Guard have wildly different assumptions and just happen to both be about playing mice. This is like hearing someone likes tomato sauce so you give them vindaloo.

They both might be good, but you're not following the request as asked to the point of being misleading.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glazius posted:

And nothing is stopping you from playing it that way, really. The game mechanics are more allegiance-agnostic than allegiance-neutral - you can tie a stone to your marquisate reputation and sink it in the sea and the game will keep ticking over just fine, as wanted posters with increasingly higher bounties and increasingly accurate renditions of your face show up in the shrinking cat territory. There isn't a mechanic to, like, randomly decide "who would be best" for a clearing, that's all up to you.

But the Vagabond isn't a geopolitical actor. Neither is the Woodland Alliance, arguably. In the board game the WA can win without a piece on the board if they light the flame of rebellion in enough hearts. In the board game the Vagabond isn't really taking territory for anyone so much as becoming enough of a local legend that no matter who ends up in charge they'll need to respect the Vagabond's influence.

Root, the RPG, is ultimately not interested in resolving the war, and that lack of an easy end state can be a pretty big weakness.
I think I may have misunderstood you in some way then. Who is the hypothetical person or group kinda saying the bit I quoted from you earlier?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

Yes, because the game is not about playing through a revolution, and not because they believe there should be compromise between the oppressed underclasses and their racist, fascist, colonial oppressors. :rolleyes:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It’s weird to just stop there but RPGs seem to trend towards emulation of fairly narrow spaces sometimes. At least it makes no claims otherwise.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Mausritter and Mouse Guard have wildly different assumptions and just happen to both be about playing mice. This is like hearing someone likes tomato sauce so you give them vindaloo.

They both might be good, but you're not following the request as asked to the point of being misleading.

The request was "I know some small children who 'freaking love the setting' of the Mouse Guard comic books". I imagine the draw is the fact that there are cute mice having adventures, not that they really want to get their teeth into a Burning Wheel Lite adaptation straight from the brilliant mind of Luke Crane.

Having read both, I would also recommend Mausritter as a system for a group of children.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Megazver posted:

The request was "I know some small children who 'freaking love the setting' of the Mouse Guard comic books". I imagine the draw is the fact that there are cute mice having adventures, not that they really want to get their teeth into a Burning Wheel Lite adaptation straight from the brilliant mind of Luke Crane.

Having read both, I would also recommend Mausritter as a system for a group of children.

Nope!

If they like the Mouse Guard setting, why would you not pick the game that has the map? That has the pre-designed missions to make your job as a GM easier for the first time? That has character creation based around being in the mouse guard? And, most importantly, has the mechanic of Beliefs! "It's not what you fight, but what you fight for." That's carved in stone in Lockhaven!

Also, I've run Mouse Guard for kids and it works great. It's definitely not too complicated. FFS, I learned D&D 2e when I was a kid and that was at least as complicated. It's not like you're trying to teach them the Mage Knight board game. Kids will learn game rules if they are interested in the game.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 30, 2023

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

You could also try something like Animal Adventures, which is more D&D-like and has cute figurines, and in fact is aimed at kiddos.

I would also agree that Mouse Guard would probably be fine.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

I think I may have misunderstood you in some way then. Who is the hypothetical person or group kinda saying the bit I quoted from you earlier?

The best way to sum it up is that the mechanics are agnostic but the setting, especially as presented in chapter 2, is neutral. Each faction is careful to spell out their potential upsides and downsides. The examples of play feature the vagabonds supporting and running afoul of all the factions.

Spire is very clear that you've been conquered and are living a lesser existence and that's not right.

Root doesn't take a similar position on what's right for the woodlands, and it doesn't really actively clear a place for you to make that decision, either. So it's more a case of "when you're 'politically neutral' that just means you support the status quo" and some elements of chapter 2 come across as just uncritically repeating every ignorant justification for extraction and empire that there ever has been.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

re: mouse guard, i appreciate the recommendations for other games, and they're valid and i like to get them, but i would prefer to play the actual mouse guard rpg rather than homebrew mouse guard into another system tbh. as long as it's not a steaming pile of trash, which it doesn't seem to be, and in fact despite some issues with book formatting or w/e it seems pretty well regarded so i think i'm gonna check it out.

good feedback on it being more direct, mechanically, than 5e tho, thanks. i like that it has explicit guidelines on how play is structured and for forming adventures and stuff, that sounds like what i'm after. i'd prefer that over something mroe freeform. i've struggled with anything PbtA, for example.

and good to hear the people who have actually played it with kids have good reports on it. a lot of people underestimate kids ability to learn and play structured games, esp people who don't have/interact with kids.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I had a good time playing a game recently. So I wrote up an after action report and system critique of it.
The game is CRASH//CART, an indy game where you get to play as Doc Wagon or Trauma Team employees in a cyberpunk world. Our group had a blast with the adventures, but we also compiled some suggestions for players and GMs new to the system. The adventure had blood, bullets and really tense maneuvers with a flying Emergency Medical Vehicle. We won...? Or at least made it to the end of our shifts.

It is a Forged in the Dark game, but uses a curated deck of cards and card draws to resolve the success or failure of actions.

https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2023/08/crashcart-after-action-report-and-review.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This poo poo looks baller.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Mouse Guard is perfectly fine for kids and will tell them explicitly what to do to play, and because they're young they won't care about any of the stupid Craneisms. The layout and his inability to refer to things as "successes" and "failures" without some cutesy jargon are the worst things about it.

I even like Mouseritter, but MG is definitely a better choice for children than an OSR hack that expects your characters to die, for what I would hope would be pretty obvious reasons. Also, lavishly illustrated with bits from the comics, which is also important to get kids into the spirit of things.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

re: mouse guard, i appreciate the recommendations for other games, and they're valid and i like to get them, but i would prefer to play the actual mouse guard rpg rather than homebrew mouse guard into another system tbh. as long as it's not a steaming pile of trash, which it doesn't seem to be, and in fact despite some issues with book formatting or w/e it seems pretty well regarded so i think i'm gonna check it out.

good feedback on it being more direct, mechanically, than 5e tho, thanks. i like that it has explicit guidelines on how play is structured and for forming adventures and stuff, that sounds like what i'm after. i'd prefer that over something mroe freeform. i've struggled with anything PbtA, for example.

and good to hear the people who have actually played it with kids have good reports on it. a lot of people underestimate kids ability to learn and play structured games, esp people who don't have/interact with kids.

That last is absolutely goons.txt

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Helical Nightmares posted:

I had a good time playing a game recently. So I wrote up an after action report and system critique of it.
The game is CRASH//CART, an indy game where you get to play as Doc Wagon or Trauma Team employees in a cyberpunk world. Our group had a blast with the adventures, but we also compiled some suggestions for players and GMs new to the system. The adventure had blood, bullets and really tense maneuvers with a flying Emergency Medical Vehicle. We won...? Or at least made it to the end of our shifts.

It is a Forged in the Dark game, but uses a curated deck of cards and card draws to resolve the success or failure of actions.

https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2023/08/crashcart-after-action-report-and-review.html

Oh, interesting. The deck of cards is always a tempting design element, and I like your analysis and also want to go in and start tinkering a little myself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the D&D brain damage kicking in with the idea that a RPG is complex and hard to learn so you shouldn't bother trying something you don't already know.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the D&D brain damage kicking in with the idea that a RPG is complex and hard to learn so you shouldn't bother trying something you don't already know.

harsh but fair

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Helical Nightmares posted:

quote:

The client, on some very good happy drugs, had had enough of this bullshit, jumped out of the gurney, ran into an unoccupied cop vehicle and hightailed it out of there before we could all blink. “Well, I think that’s the end of the shift,” I mused, smoking an illegal cigarette and looking at our once-client fly off into the yellow-red Pacific coast sunset. Another police vehicle tried to lift off and ended up crashing into a local Wendys. The smoke enhanced that beautiful reddening sunset between the palm trees. Synthwave was pounding from the EMV’s speakers as the dejected police officer threw his cap on the ground and said that that was yet another toll runner that they’d never be able to catch.

Roll credits.
:allears:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I recently saw a youtube video featuring an inexperienced GM explaining a one page dungeon, and they kept saying 'one page dungeon or one page campaign'.

And now I desperately want to see a one page campaign. And if I can't find any I may have to make one myself.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DalaranJ posted:

I recently saw a youtube video featuring an inexperienced GM explaining a one page dungeon, and they kept saying 'one page dungeon or one page campaign'.

And now I desperately want to see a one page campaign. And if I can't find any I may have to make one myself.

Generally they don't mean a campaign as in a series of adventures when they say that, they mean campaign setting, usually it'll be a map(often in hex format) often with a basic setting outline and probably have some areas of interest laid out

EDIT: here's an example of this sort of thing(in both the cooler looking original black version and the easier to read but not as cool looking white version)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 31, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

drrockso20 posted:

Generally they don't mean a campaign as in a series of adventures when they say that, they mean campaign setting, usually it'll be a map(often in hex format) often with a basic setting outline and probably have some areas of interest laid out

That’s what I was looking for. Is there any place I can find more of this kind of stuff? Any keyword to search?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

That’s what I was looking for. Is there any place I can find more of this kind of stuff? Any keyword to search?

I mostly find them in various OSR related pages but I'm not sure there's a specific keyword for it

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Pointcrawl.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frogappreciator/fist-paranormal-mercenary-rpg-box-set/

FIST Kickstarter!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah meant to share that a couple days ago when it launched

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah meant to share that a couple days ago when it launched
You could have made the fist post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

FTFY