Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Star Wars is allowed to be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

But it was beyond that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Boy have I got a series for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cszU0kSnUPA

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DurosKlav posted:

Someone please stop Filoni. I know he loves his waifu very much, but that saber fight outside the ship was beyond silly.

no it's great that filoni watched the trigger anime short from visions s1 and said, i can do that

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

skasion posted:

Hera, please get a nanny or something.

Ok son, mommy’s gotta talk to the politicians about her proposed plan of campaign now, go play somewhere else on our warship with your uncle the psychotic killer robot

Chopper is a war hero dammit, stop trying to stop veterans from working with children

Didn't Kanan and Ezra do the same thing with Mandalorians in Rebels?

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DurosKlav posted:

But it was beyond that.

Didn’t feel any sillier than the droid factory romp in Attack of the Clones, or Leia flying through space in The Last Jedi. I did mention it was very cartoony and wouldn’t feel out of place in an action scene from the Rebels animated show. I feel like the sooner you or whoever else can accept that Ahsoka is a live action extension of the Rebels cartoon, the less you’ll let the things Filoni does upset you.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Space fight was fun, training scene could've been briefer. It still seems weird that next week is the half-way point, and we're still in the first act. I guess the latter half of the season can have slightly longer episodes :shrug:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
What are the odds they put a hyperspace collar on a Purrgil?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

are they tentacles or is it like a headdress and she's got regular hair underneath

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I enjoyed that episode but it felt like it was only just getting started when it was over. Very glad that they established very firmly that Sabine is very much not "Force-Sensitive" or anything, with the robot adamant in a very polite way that she wouldn't have even been in a position to be rejected for training as a Jedi because she wouldn't have even been considered in the first place. Ahsoka pointing out that the Jedi did things a certain way and all it got them was an emo moron* killing their asses was good too, and she's firmly in the,"If the Force is in everybody then EVERYBODY should have the chance to be trained/learn about what we know" camp which I approve of.

The new Republic are such idiots it's kinda hilarious. "Former Imperial members were plotting something? Well that's no cause for alarm because we've got former Imperial members all throughout every facet of our rebuilt society!"

Not a huge fan of the casual reveal that there used to be shipping lanes to entire other galaxies and it was just a casual thing? You'd think being cut off from whole other galaxies they used to have access to would have been some cause for concern for both the Old Republic and the Empire both. Is this show where we discover that the Star Wars Galaxy was the Universal equivalent of North Korea?

* She learned everything she knows from that emo moron!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't think the shipping lane part meant to other galaxies, just within their own, but purgil migration routes also go outside the galaxy as well as within it.

Phenotype posted:

are they tentacles or is it like a headdress and she's got regular hair underneath

They're part of her body, similar to a Twi'lek.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

Not a huge fan of the casual reveal that there used to be shipping lanes to entire other galaxies and it was just a casual thing? You'd think being cut off from whole other galaxies they used to have access to would have been some cause for concern for both the Old Republic and the Empire both. Is this show where we discover that the Star Wars Galaxy was the Universal equivalent of North Korea?

* She learned everything she knows from that emo moron!

Didn't they canon it in the high republic novels?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I liked the training scenes, though I wish they were both longer and more ridiculous. Maybe Luke can put someone though the full 36 chambers treatment at some point. Space battle was fine but maybe a little bit too long/contrived to explain why they'd get so close then go down to the surface. Space lightsaber stuff was cool and I'm fine with it being absurd. Overall I thought it was more engaging than the first two episodes and I'm actually looking forward to the next one now.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It’s now clear to me that the key element in Jedi training is the trainer goading and trolling the students to train them in keeping their anger in check. That explains why Yoda was such a successful teacher and why Obi-Wan wasn’t, as he was mainly supportive and reasonable.

Amusingly, Dark Side training is pretty much the same except for admonishing students after they do get angry. Assuming they train at all in that regard. The point is, if you teach students about either side of the Force, you’re the rear end in a top hat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was a bit confused why Ahsoka and Sabine both seemed to forget Sabine trained with Kanan and Ezra with the darksaber

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Narsham posted:

It’s now clear to me that the key element in Jedi training is the trainer goading and trolling the students to train them in keeping their anger in check. That explains why Yoda was such a successful teacher and why Obi-Wan wasn’t, as he was mainly supportive and reasonable.

Amusingly, Dark Side training is pretty much the same except for admonishing students after they do get angry. Assuming they train at all in that regard. The point is, if you teach students about either side of the Force, you’re the rear end in a top hat.

Obi-Wan def trolls his students (and enemies) a lot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't think the shipping lane part meant to other galaxies, just within their own, but purgil migration routes also go outside the galaxy as well as within it.

"The Jedi Archives speak of Intergalactic Hyperspace lanes between Galaxies" seems pretty clear to me that they traveled between galaxies, and obviously regularly enough that it was worth what was obviously a pretty enormous outlay of resources to achieve.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Didn't they canon it in the high republic novels?

Never read any of those so absolutely no idea, everything that has ever been in the movies and the TV shows so far has been very explicitly set within the confines of just the one galaxy, as far as I can remember.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I got a bad feeling about this…

Also teagone those things you pointed out are 2 of the dumbest things to happen. :lol:

This needs tighter plotting - we didn’t need the intro training. We’ve seen Sabine do this already and get frustrated. She doesn’t need to learn to be a Jedi. She’s a child soldier from Mandalore. That should be good enough.

I hate the random run times on SW episodes too. It’s annoying. There is barely anything happening.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
"The plotting of Ahsoka essentially wants us to think of the giant hyperspace ring as something like the Ring Gates in The Expanse, or like a super wormhole from Deep Space Nine. And yet, we’re told this technology isn't too different from existing hyperspace tech within the home Star Wars galaxy."

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/purrgil-explained-star-wars-space-whales-hyperspace-canon

Seems like entertainment reporters don't pay attention, who knew?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I dunno, I thought it was kinda anticlimactic too. Weird ring ship thing, strange tech, what does it do? It makes hyperspace jumps but like, really long ones.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hello Hamato Xiono, did not expect to see you again

Really starting to hate my prophetic ability to predict things because I just rewatched the ANH training scene yesterday and then the opening of this episode happened

Sooo I should rewatch the podrace and duel on Mustafar so elements from those appear in future episodes

Or preferably The Lawless

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Natasha Liu Bordizzo continues to be great, and with her short hair her Sabine is :discourse:

I remember seeing Katee Sackhoff as Bo-Katan in Mandalorian and being impressed with how well she was able to bring the cartoon character of Bo-Katan to life. I feel like Natasha Liu Bordizzo is accomplishing that even more so here.

The reaction Rosario Dawson gave after Huyang told her "The way you two are acting, there won't be a later" was perfect. That little facial expression finally sold me on her as Ahsoka Tano, the jedi padawan that's quick on her feet under pressure.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also those starfighters were great, Love the 1920s-1940s feel of them :allears:

The space F4U corsairs are great. Reminds me of the spitfire vibes they were leaning into with Djarin's N-1. Space Dam Busters is doing well.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 30, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My pitch would be that whale travel and using the giant hyperspace ring throw you out of sync in time, which the witch lady already sort of implied (let's ignore that it seems like a problem for the trade routes using this method, I guess, that we've also just established). That way when they come back it can be after the sequel trilogy and the events can have some amount of stakes.

Lots of potential upside for the crossover movie too (teenage baby yoda)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

Filoni must be stopped

Fake edit: Filoni must be Chopped

Star Wars TV Megathread: Dave Filoni Must Be C1-10PPED

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jerusalem posted:

"The Jedi Archives speak of Intergalactic Hyperspace lanes between Galaxies" seems pretty clear to me that they traveled between galaxies, and obviously regularly enough that it was worth what was obviously a pretty enormous outlay of resources to achieve.

I mean just because a hyperlane (a naturally occurring phenomenon) existed and people knew about it doesn’t mean they were heavily used. The sheer fact the good guys are all “is that even possible?” and Bylan considered the “Path to Peridia” to be a myth suggests it was something done it a long, long time ago (to a galaxy far, far away :v:).

And tbh it is a setting where they can build a portable space station housing millions capable of violently blasting planets into debris. “At some point someone figured how to visit a neighboring galaxy” isn’t that big a stretch IMO.

Honestly given the purgil iconography on the map, I’d be willing to bet that the trip was previously made using purgil as transportation rather than a giant machine.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
So what exactly was Ahsoka teaching Sabine during their first run. I guess we're supposed to assume that training didn't involve the whole blind sword thingy despite it showing up in every Jedi training shot including children yuenglings

Ahsoka must have just peaced out on the first day lol

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

No Mods No Masters posted:

My pitch would be that whale travel and using the giant hyperspace ring throw you out of sync in time, which the witch lady already sort of implied (let's ignore that it seems like a problem for the trade routes using this method, I guess, that we've also just established). That way when they come back it can be after the sequel trilogy and the events can have some amount of stakes.

Lots of potential upside for the crossover movie too (teenage baby yoda)

The normal hyperspace lanes don't move. It isn't a typical hyperspace lane, it's a purrgil migration lane. My guess is they are building the thing and waiting for the purgill to start their breeding journey, they way the thing lines up in the temple thing makes it look like they are waiting for an alignment of some kind. The orb thing wasn't built to find Thrawn, so for some reason it just points the way the Purrgil go
https://imgur.com/a/COfsera

koolkal posted:

So what exactly was Ahsoka teaching Sabine during their first run. I guess we're supposed to assume that training didn't involve the whole blind sword thingy despite it showing up in every Jedi training shot including children yuenglings

Ahsoka must have just peaced out on the first day lol

Sabine was a lovely student for Kanan and Ezra. Maybe Ahsoka gave it the good old college do or do not, and Sabine said "gently caress you, i'm a stubborn Mandalorian"

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 30, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I liked the fight on the outside of the spaceship. All she did was deflect some blasts and tear through the hull of a ship which flew close while standing on the hull, even though when I think about it, it wouldn't have flown close enough to do that. I was glad the padawan training scenes ended up not being a rerun, seconding what Jerusalem said about it. The main problems I had with it were the redundant dialog -- the pleasantries at the start of Hera's conversation before showing Jacen on screen right after, and Baylan saying "They're in the forest. Hunt them down" right after Shin says "They must be in the forest" -- and the "what did I miss" cliches. They should've just called the purrgil star whales in the first place. I liked Ahsoka pulling away from her "sometimes you have to teach someone to swim by throwing them in the deep end" approach during the battle and conceding on that at least for the moment.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Baylan was probably the best thing about the first two episodes and SMH he got nothing but the two most generic bad guy lines ever in this one. Ray can't carry your show if you don't give him scenes guys

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Trim out the lingering shots, remove redundant/obvious/placeholder dialog, and make each episode 45 minutes long, and odds are we'd be at the "Ahsoka and Co. are captured and taken aboard the hyperspace ring and the purgill migration begins" story beat by the end of episode three, leaving the next 3 episodes about finding Ezra, finding Thrawn, and going home for the movie

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly given the purgil iconography on the map, I’d be willing to bet that the trip was previously made using purgil as transportation rather than a giant machine.

I'm wondering why the purrgil migration was such a massive enough thing for the Night Sisters to build a secret temple thing for it and have a second temple at the start point for the migration.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really hope that Disney’s future TV projects aren’t stuck to 30 minute runtimes barring a few that run long, overall it hurts their shows and the average show length on any other network is like 45-70 minutes long. This whole episode felt like it should’ve been the third act of an episode on any other network.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1st AD posted:

I really hope that Disney’s future TV projects aren’t stuck to 30 minute runtimes barring a few that run long, overall it hurts their shows and the average show length on any other network is like 45-70 minutes long. This whole episode felt like it should’ve been the third act of an episode on any other network.

I have a hunch that Disney is moving towards more standardized runtimes in order to be able to re-purpose episodes. You could take two 30-minute episodes and air them as a 90-minute programming block on ABC.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It’s ok Sabine, I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to force pull cups that are out of my reach my whole life too. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I still wave my hand when I go through automatic doors

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Ahaha yes absolutely, every single time. If there are people around I try to do it subtly, but they all know (because they're all doing it too! :colbert:)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I got a bad feeling about this…

Also teagone those things you pointed out are 2 of the dumbest things to happen. :lol:

This needs tighter plotting - we didn’t need the intro training. We’ve seen Sabine do this already and get frustrated. She doesn’t need to learn to be a Jedi. She’s a child soldier from Mandalore. That should be good enough.

I hate the random run times on SW episodes too. It’s annoying. There is barely anything happening.

Kind of confused by this post. Sabine learned what Mado learned which is to weight and yield a lightsaber, which worked like no weapon she was used to. We went through this yet another time with Mandalorian.

What does this have to do with wielding the Force and manipulating it? Kanan taught her nothing like this. You completely lost me, am I seriously missing something here? This whole episode was establishing breaking the familial "rules" that Episode 7 and 9 drilled in where Lucas and Rogue One were establishing that anyone can use the Force if they dive in enough.

Darko fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 30, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Empirical evidence that you're more talented with the force than Sabine.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

galenanorth posted:

I liked the fight on the outside of the spaceship. All she did was deflect some blasts and tear through the hull of a ship which flew close while standing on the hull, even though when I think about it, it wouldn't have flown close enough to do that.

Not to get all Tactical but it was a bit silly that she's standing on this gigantic ship that's a good 20x bigger than her and everyone just shoots at her instead of the rest of the ship. Although considering their shots were glancing off the unshielded hull, it doesn't seem like they had the firepower to take down an unmoving ship anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I do like the idea that even if everybody can’t wield the Force, going through a Jedi regimen would at least help your general well being a person. Go spend a couple years at a remote Jedi temple to get your head on straight, that kind of thing.