Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Current Steam Deck status:

EmuDeck is brilliant. Never found it so easy to set up a bunch of emulators before. Each one is already tuned to best fit the Deck's hardware.

They all run very well. 4U is running at 3x resolution which at 1200x720 is very close to the Deck's native 1280x800. Keeps up a 60fps with very occasional dips below to the high 50s. The Deck's touchscreen is perfect for handling the 3DS second screen. EmuDeck makes the Deck's left touchpad into a pop up menu that among other things lets you rapidly change the screen layout if you want o blow up the size of the second screen for touch inputs. Quite brilliant to have stuff like that out of the box on install, really.

GU / World are modded. Will put 3U on there at some point - the Wii U version should run well.

The Deck is a great MH machine.

E: The "No Playtime Yet" is inaccurate. I did a couple hunts in GU and spent some time in the Valor GL training mission. I think the deck isn't tracking emulated games and time in the emulator for whatever reason.

E2: I still think it's hilarious how all the older games start you off on the really awful, twitchy monsters like the dromes and Great Maccao that are constantly running away from you. Great way to convince folks who are already stunned by just how immobile these weapons are that this is a fun game to play. Great Jagras is a far, far better intro to what the game can be.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Is it hard to configure 4U to look decent? I remember having a hell of time messing with Citra cheats and stuff to get the game to turn off the stereoscopic 3D stuff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

v1ld posted:

E2: I still think it's hilarious how all the older games start you off on the really awful, twitchy monsters like the dromes and Great Maccao that are constantly running away from you. Great way to convince folks who are already stunned by just how immobile these weapons are that this is a fun game to play. Great Jagras is a far, far better intro to what the game can be.

it's one of the few things that makes gu a bit of a drag, because there's a hell of a lot of monsters to fight but for some godawful reason you have to start out with a bunch of dromes and 'great ____' monsters instead when like 3/4ths of them are roughly pretty much the same

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I'm so happy that rise went with the ggis instead of the cocaine raptors

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, GU's start all the way to the first Arzuros fight is just bad. But it's so good once you get past that first wave of awfulness.

Cocaine raptor is spot on.

Great Maccao's multi-kick attack when it stands on its tail apparently attacks over the GL's shield somehow. Great choice of mon for the weapon training missions!

wedgie deliverer posted:

Is it hard to configure 4U to look decent? I remember having a hell of time messing with Citra cheats and stuff to get the game to turn off the stereoscopic 3D stuff.

You don't have to do any of that, the stereoscopic 3D stuff is turned off by default in Citra by Emudeck, yay.

The default is to run Citra at 2x resolution, which I bumped to 3x for 4U since that gives close to native Deck resolution. This gives a clear image in terms of models and edges, but the textures still show their age when you get up close.

I've installed the high res texture packs that use GU textures before but wasn't planning to this time - I find the textures good enough as is. But knowing me I'll probably bring in those textures anyway.

Citra cheats are super easy to install in Emudeck, by the way. So if you do choose to use the one that forces 30 fps in 4U for eg, it's simple enough.

E: I'll grab some pics later.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Citra emulation still has occasional hitching and slow downs whatever your hardware, right? Last time I tried it it was a worse experience than Yuzu.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I like Great Maccao, he's a kick boxer :( Probably one of my favourite intro monsters, he's leagues ahead of the dromes, has a cool design, and unique moveset.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome music as well. One of my favorite monster themes in the whole series.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Citra emulation still has occasional hitching and slow downs whatever your hardware, right? Last time I tried it it was a worse experience than Yuzu.

Yeah. My assumption was that the DS takes cartridges with actual chips on them so maybe it's not as simple as emulating fixed hardware on which software runs.

It usually shows up as audio delay for me, the graphics hitches are minor.

felgs posted:

I like Great Maccao, he's a kick boxer :( Probably one of my favourite intro monsters, he's leagues ahead of the dromes, has a cool design, and unique moveset.

I might have said it wrong. It's not a good choice for the training room is what I meant, where a more standard mon like even a low level arzuros with well telegraphed attacks that leave openings right next to where you already are would probably be better.

Great Maccao isn't a bad mon like the dromes, I like fighting it in its zone at the top of the map well enough, but it's not a good choice for the training room which might have a new player in it for at least these reasons:
- It moves around a lot and many of its attacks are rush attacks that do damage and end a considerable distance from you with no window to punish after the attack
- It's stand on tail rush will be cancelled if you move out of the path and try to create an opening that way
- So you're best off using a down to go ham, but even those cause the mon to be knocked in the air landing far enough away you have to trundle over, losing a big chunk of the window.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

maccao was fine but it absolutely suffered from being lumped in with the Drome Power Hour, since the latter was basically all interchangeable raptors and not the cool feathery kickboxing lizard thing

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

wedgie deliverer posted:

Some pics of 4U on the Deck with Emudeck. The only graphics tweaks are that I set resolution scaling to 3x instead of the default 2x. No texture packs installed.
https://imgur.com/a/etnBI3n

I left the performance stats on. It's pretty rock solid in play. No real stuttering as in my previous tries with Citra, Rinkles. I get some brief audio lag on entering the main town, but that's mostly it in the little I poked around. Note it's playing at 60 fps and not using much power even so.

In the middle of those shots I swap the screen layouts using the built in radial menu on the left touchpad, which looks like so:

The menu is bottom left and the button that's center bottom row switches layouts. Others will save state, load state, speed up emulation to zip through cutscenes, etc.

Text, UI, and game all look sharp enough without the texture packs, imo:

It's a lot sharper on the actual 7" Deck screen than on whatever monitor y'all are using to read this.

Also, the Deck's touchscreen just works for the second screen controls. So if you want to target a monster, just tap its icon on the screen.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 29, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe the stutter mostly happens on first startup. Shader compilation or something of that sort.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

v1ld posted:

i've been saying this for years :argh: mhp3rd got it right with arzuros but then they just decided to go back to raptors

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Great Maccao is a cool kangaroo raptor with sweet armor. He is my pal and maybe the best of the greats/dromes?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh drat. That is a terribly nice offer. I take it there would be no way to get it into the Switch GU, though? I haven't touched regular Generations in years and my 3DS is pretty much retired at this point...

felgs posted:

I play with people on switch with my 3ds all the time. I have even given switch people the wex cat--XX/GU has DS/switch crossplay. So if we can find a time, I can send you the cat.

As it so happens, I have the WEx cat as well, plus I know I also have the Pro Experience cat, and maybe a couple of the other Japanese exclusive cats (I really want to say I have Beast Extend, but I dunno for sure right now). I'd have to double check when it's not super late at night and can hop on my Switch without waking people up. Couldn't hurt to remind me what the Japanese exclusive skills are other than Weakness Exploit, too, just to see what I actually have and can help out with.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wroggi is my favourite of the raptors. His Japanese name is Great Furogi, he's god a cool design, and his armor set is a cowboy outfit complete with pistols.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

felgs posted:

Wroggi is my favourite of the raptors. His Japanese name is Great Furogi, he's god a cool design, and his armor set is a cowboy outfit complete with pistols.

The belt with the revolvers is so good and is part many of my layered armor sets in Rise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Should MH have transmogs?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Your Computer posted:

i've been saying this for years :argh: mhp3rd got it right with arzuros but then they just decided to go back to raptors

This happened to me in the first MH I played (I think Dos maybe?) and I completely bounced off MH because of it initially, because I just hated how utterly immobile I felt compared to the monsters. I only got back into it in MH4GU because a friend got me into it and only beat Gore Magala there (with dual blades). It was only at MHW where I fully got invested into the series.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Yes, it means you never have to choose between function or fashion.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Rinkles posted:

Should MH have transmogs?

It already does, so I'm not sure where you're going with this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Badly Jester posted:

Oh I guess I never unlocked it in Rise?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Badly Jester posted:

I think they're just asking a general question.

I honestly can't think of reason why Monster Hunter shouldn't have layered armor.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Rinkles posted:

Oh I guess I never unlocked it in Rise?

It's called "layered armor" in Rise, and while I don't remember exactly when you unlock it, I think it's pretty early on. Maybe with HR quests or something?

Edit: HR8 is when it becomes available.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They still don't have transmog weapons right? Rampage weps did but now that those don't really exist, is there any way to have a layered weapon?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

They unlock in sunbreak but if you buy any of the dlc ones you can still equip those as early as low rank

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In Training posted:

They still don't have transmog weapons right? Rampage weps did but now that those don't really exist, is there any way to have a layered weapon?

No Rise has layered weapons now

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

felgs posted:

:v:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Owl Inspector posted:

Also, you can go through a loading screen to the zone where your teammates are fighting the monster to appear directly in front of a charging rathian who punts you back through the loading screen less than a second after you arrive

A monster could also die at the border and be uncarvable!

Your Computer posted:

Part of why MH1 bombed in the US was the slow start. You spent at least an hour doing gathering quests, started with only a sword and shield, and your first actual hunts were stuff like bulfango and velociprey. People were also expecting GS to be more of an anime sword, not that hefty thing your character had trouble wielding.
Reviewers complained it was a bait and switch. They were not expecting the slow deliberate combat and how much gathering and prep you needed to do. Just staying supplied meant running a bunch of farming hunts. Hell, posting quests cost money, so you'd sometimes need to farm just to afford to advance.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Aniodia posted:

As it so happens, I have the WEx cat as well, plus I know I also have the Pro Experience cat, and maybe a couple of the other Japanese exclusive cats (I really want to say I have Beast Extend, but I dunno for sure right now). I'd have to double check when it's not super late at night and can hop on my Switch without waking people up. Couldn't hurt to remind me what the Japanese exclusive skills are other than Weakness Exploit, too, just to see what I actually have and can help out with.

Man if I'd known it was even possible to get these Japanese exclusive cat skills, I'd have tried to track down folks with them ages ago! I was under the impression it was straight up impossible to get them on the Switch GU!

Off the top of my head, I know of: Felyne Weakness Exploit, Aera (increases mount damage), Status Atk Up, Extend Beast, Sonic Mini Bombs (unsure of the actual name of that one. It attaches a Sonic Bomb effect to Mini Barrel Bombay), and I guess Pro Experience even though I didn't know about that one!

I'm on the thread Discord and so is Felgs. We tried to coordinate a cat handoff last night only to be confronted with the dreaded Server Maintenance. We're trying again tonight! If you're missing one, one of us could hook you up. Felgs has all of them.

I would also happily share my battle ready Palicoes I spent way too long rerolling skills on to make them perfect...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, if anyone wants the Japan exclusives, there's only about 5 of them, and I don't mind sharing them.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I feel so starved of MH that I bought my friend MHW so that I could justify starting a third playthrough. Have these bastards not even given a hint of MHW2 yet?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Prawned posted:

I feel so starved of MH that I bought my friend MHW so that I could justify starting a third playthrough. Have these bastards not even given a hint of MHW2 yet?

Probably at TGS in september

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So Emudeck configures the deck's backpaddles for Citra to have a key for switch layouts on the fly - you can go from default big main + small second to equal sized horizontal to equal vertical to the others with one tap, which is neat! It also binds other keys like the one for swapping screens, so you can go from big main/small secondary screen to big secondary/small main with one tap for example. Or go fullscreen with main and rotate it out for secondary with one tap. Very neat stuff.

And since it's on the Steam Deck, you can do button remapping tricks. I rebound one of the back paddles to keep R2 pressed on a single click, toggled off on the next click. So now I get a toggle run button like in World which is really neat.

I'm going to make the B button do continuous gathering on long press on 4U just like in GU and later games. You can toggle a setting to make any key/button auto-repeat on long hold, yay. It's configurable how long between the repeats so I'll set it to a long enough value that combat shouldn't be affected at all.

Gathering being auto-repeat on hold is probably the biggest qol jump in GU over 4U, so being able to bind that away using the Steam controller code is huge.

I'd love those Palicos and the Japanese-exclusive skills, felgs and Silver Falcon, but I don't think there's any way to do multiplayer from the emulator to a real Switch. Just did some more googling and that is still not possible looks like.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

v1ld posted:

I'd love those Palicos and the Japanese-exclusive skills, felgs and Silver Falcon, but I don't think there's any way to do multiplayer from the emulator to a real Switch. Just did some more googling and that is still not possible looks like.

Alas, I'd offer to just open my files in an emulator and do it, but then I remembered I have to emulate my save on citra, which can't talk to the switch emulator

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

felgs posted:

Alas, I'd offer to just open my files in an emulator and do it, but then I remembered I have to emulate my save on citra, which can't talk to the switch emulator

Thanks for the thought.

There's an easy way to merge some parts of saves in the Switch emulator, which is how I activated all the DLC item packs and events quests, but I don't think it would work for random palicos though it might for special palicos that are essentially DLC. All moot because like you say, you're playing the DS version.

The way to activate the DLC packs is to download a clean save that already have those enabled like from here. You then start the game, go to the bed where you can save but before you save you overwrite your existing save with the files from that link. When you then do the save the game will merge in the DLC bits from the new save file you just installed into your existing save information. Really simple and nice.

But I'd expect your existing palicos to overwrite any that exist in another save file.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Silver Falcon posted:

Man if I'd known it was even possible to get these Japanese exclusive cat skills, I'd have tried to track down folks with them ages ago! I was under the impression it was straight up impossible to get them on the Switch GU!

Off the top of my head, I know of: Felyne Weakness Exploit, Aera (increases mount damage), Status Atk Up, Extend Beast, Sonic Mini Bombs (unsure of the actual name of that one. It attaches a Sonic Bomb effect to Mini Barrel Bombay), and I guess Pro Experience even though I didn't know about that one!

I'm on the thread Discord and so is Felgs. We tried to coordinate a cat handoff last night only to be confronted with the dreaded Server Maintenance. We're trying again tonight! If you're missing one, one of us could hook you up. Felgs has all of them.

I would also happily share my battle ready Palicoes I spent way too long rerolling skills on to make them perfect...

So I think I had to do something complicated to get them, like take my save from XX, mod the save file, put it back in my hacked 3ds, then join the same lobby with my Switch to transfer them over. Even then, I think it might've been even more complicated than that, but it's been a while since I did it. It was a ballache either way, but I think I have all of those. I'll be able to check in about 4 hours from now or so, after I get out of work. I also believe I'm in the Awful Hunters discord under the same name, so I'll see if I can't get on and check what I've got.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Question: I know in Rise there's a way to display your guild card titles when you're in a group with other people, was there a way to do that in world or am I just thinking about making your name gold?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I successfully did the cat handoff with felgs and Aniodia today! We have WEX and Aera (increased mount damage). If anybody has a cat with Extend Beast you could send our way, I would shower you with praise! I think that's the only major one we're missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Popped open my switch file, I have the extend beast prowler on there I can pass out.