Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Last night I dreamed that I got a job at an unknown Elon company. My car then broke down and the company gave me a Tesla loaner. It had "I WORK FOR ELON MUSK" hastily painted (not even stenciled) in large letters along both sides

I slouched down as far as possible while driving and only parked anywhere when I was 100% sure there was no one around to see me. Then I sprinted away from it as fast as possible

I... I might be spending too much time reading this thread. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:lol:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

explosivo posted:

It's still wild to me that this is true. My loving subaru I bought 5 years ago has radar (maybe lidar idk wtf) assisted cruise control and it works incredibly well. Why does this thing that people can have on public roads not have multiple failsafe methods of making sure you don't crash into a wall/car/pedestrian?

Ironically, Subaru is the only other major car company not using forward looking radar for ADAS. It one ups Tesla by functionally using two cameras instead of one and most basic cars with automatic emergency braking only use one.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Odds on this qualifying as "political disinformation"?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Three Olives posted:

Ironically, Subaru is the only other major car company not using forward looking radar for ADAS. It one ups Tesla by functionally using two cameras instead of one and most basic cars with automatic emergency braking only use one.

Oh well poo poo. Either way, it works well but also I'm not expecting it to drive me from point A to point B autonomously

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

elon wanted to watch some video games and the video gamers hate him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUDEk9zw67s

edit: dang this was already posted... i can't keep up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Three Olives posted:

explosivo posted:

Oh well poo poo. Either way, it works well but also I'm not expecting it to drive me from point A to point B autonomously

I found that surprising enough that I had to look it up, and apparently they moved to including lidar for at least some models as of last year :unsmith:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/hrw/status/1696384759939633610

Okay so on the one hand...

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020

...! posted:

Last night I dreamed that I got a job at an unknown Elon company. My car then broke down and the company gave me a Tesla loaner. It had "I WORK FOR ELON MUSK" hastily painted (not even stenciled) in large letters along both sides

I slouched down as far as possible while driving and only parked anywhere when I was 100% sure there was no one around to see me. Then I sprinted away from it as fast as possible

I... I might be spending too much time reading this thread. :stare:

Oh join the club, I clearly spend too much time here too cause I also had a dream where I worked at Twitter. First I was in a meeting with a bunch of other engineers and everyone was yes-manning Elon the whole time. After the meeting ended I was like "are we really going to do all that stuff?" and they all went "No way, he has no idea what's going on around here." Then I spent the rest of the time hiding in the attic (?) of Twitter HQ chilling and collecting a paycheck because Elon didn't even know I worked there

yours is funnier though

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How has Melange not axed community notes? It's snaked it's way into too many parts of the code?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Come on elon I thought you guys were supposed to defend tweeters

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

priznat posted:

Come on elon I thought you guys were supposed to defend tweeters

Not when a foreign government says otherwise

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

And/or prime investors

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I found that surprising enough that I had to look it up, and apparently they moved to including lidar for at least some models as of last year :unsmith:

Basically no one has any real plans to use LiDAR for cars right now, Audi hosed around with it, I think they may have removed it on some, if not all cars. Geely has hosed around with it too, I think they have promised it on forthcoming Volvo's/Polestars, they haven't really said what they are going to do with it either but vague safety promises, Lucid has it, I don't believe they are using it for anything currently, same with Subaru.

Basically LiDAR is expensive, isn't useful for any driving automation systems that are in use now for production cars are will be in use anytime soon as far as mass manufacturing, RADAR is fine, LiDAR is probably too much data for right now.

The really issue is, Tesla's cameras are poo poo, their ADAS systems are poo poo, their automated driving is poo poo and if they at least used radar they probably wouldn't kill people as often because their cars just flat out run into things because radar is well tested and works in most environmental conditions and Tesla basically uses lovely web cams from 10 years ago to replace it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s pretty prominent on the volvo EX90

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

How has Melange not axed community notes? It's snaked it's way into too many parts of the code?

It's his excuse for not doing any moderation. That is, actual moderation that goes beyond banning people that piss him off personally.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

priznat posted:

It’s pretty prominent on the volvo EX90

Isn't in production yet and they haven't really said what they are going to use it for that is a major improvement on what they are using radar for now.

I'm not arguing that LiDAR isn't a lot better than radar of spacial information, it absolutely is, but I think it is something right now if you aren't working on a fully automated car that is more of a gimmick is still years away from being something more than a spec sheet item on luxury cars.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Three Olives posted:

Basically no one has any real plans to use LiDAR for cars right now, Audi hosed around with it, I think they may have removed it on some, if not all cars. Geely has hosed around with it too, I think they have promised it on forthcoming Volvo's/Polestars, they haven't really said what they are going to do with it either but vague safety promises, Lucid has it, I don't believe they are using it for anything currently, same with Subaru.

Basically LiDAR is expensive, isn't useful for any driving automation systems that are in use now for production cars are will be in use anytime soon as far as mass manufacturing, RADAR is fine, LiDAR is probably too much data for right now.

The really issue is, Tesla's cameras are poo poo, their ADAS systems are poo poo, their automated driving is poo poo and if they at least used radar they probably wouldn't kill people as often because their cars just flat out run into things because radar is well tested and works in most environmental conditions and Tesla basically uses lovely web cams from 10 years ago to replace it.

Maybe it's not as much of a standard as I thought, but all the articles I'm finding are talking about lots of manufacturers currently using or actively working on lidar integration, e.g. https://web.archive.org/web/2022020...s-embrace-lidar from last year.

I'm not sure what the comment about too much data means. From what I know about radar and lidar measurements from work, for a "simple" application like this, you'd be getting similar information from either one about the distance to something in front of the sensor, just using EM waves at different frequencies. So you'd be collecting similar information, but affected a bit differently depending on what the beam's passing through between the sensor and the obstacle. No argument on the camera systems, Elon seems like he's using the bare minimum of systems and then half-assing it from there.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Maye Musk looks like the despot of a dystopian YA film whose regime gets overthrown by a plucky, bow-wielding heroine and her boyfriend.

she looks like that wife of the nazi general in the concentration camp episode in band of brothers

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Maybe it's not as much of a standard as I thought, but all the articles I'm finding are talking about lots of manufacturers currently using or actively working on lidar integration, e.g. https://web.archive.org/web/2022020...s-embrace-lidar from last year.

I'm not sure what the comment about too much data means. From what I know about radar and lidar measurements from work, for a "simple" application like this, you'd be getting similar information from either one about the distance to something in front of the sensor, just using EM waves at different frequencies. So you'd be collecting similar information, but affected a bit differently depending on what the beam's passing through between the sensor and the obstacle. No argument on the camera systems, Elon seems like he's using the bare minimum of systems and then half-assing it from there.

Everyone is looking at it, in theory it blows radar away, you just have to know how to process the data in a relevant way that is better than radar.

LiDAR is a much higher resolution view of what is going around, you need to eliminate a bunch of not useful data, radar is more, I am about to run into that thing and I need not to without understanding much about what that thing is.

Pretty much every not poo poo car uses a combination of machine vision and radar, the camera figures out what the thing is and the radar tells you not to run into it knowing that the vision portion is much less important than it not mattering if you are about to run into a car or a person.

Also, lots of cars use multiple sensors, ultrasonic on the front and corners to see if you are about to run into something, forward facing radar to see if you are about to run into something far away at higher speeds and then corner facing radar to see if you are about to run into something in your blind spot, a cross traffic, or turn in front of a car. I can't understate this, Tesla's system is uniquely terrible compared to anything else on the road at the price point.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 30, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

raifield posted:

Reminds me of that moon from Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach

I don't see how - Moon actually cared about children! :haw:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i dont understand, what are tweets

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s an old word used to refer to posts on X, The Everything App.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Especially when the foreign government lent billions of dollars to Elon.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

Harsh but fair

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has Elon paid his legal bills?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So is Bluesky just populated entirely by goons now, or...?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The X-man cometh posted:

Especially when the foreign government lent billions of dollars to Elon.

I mean, he was all-in on interfering with Turkey's election through social media censorship too.

Just wouldn't cooperate over Trump.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ben shapino posted:

Harsh but fair

:hmmyes: As long as it's just for tweets in general and not for political speech

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Here are some bluesky codes

bsky-social-uuc5f-6osmi

bsky-social-ruarl-wujh4

bsky-social-z2vzb-drcc4

Farten Barfen fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 30, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ben shapino posted:

Harsh but fair

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Farten Barfen posted:

Here are some bluesky codes

bsky-social-uuc5f-6osmi

Yoinked! Cheers

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Farten Barfen posted:

bsky-social-ruarl-wujh4

Grabbed this one - thank you!

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

This should be the norm. If you tweet you die.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Alchemist posted:

This should be the norm. If you tweet you die.

harsh but fair

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Has that nerd Eoln removed blocking yet, or has he silently pivoted away because he realized how many problems it would cause?

I mean the second one is definitely not happening, so it's only a matter of time

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
So how many cameras on a Tesla would you need to paint over to ensure they cannot use FSD, and where are they located?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Grimace posted:

Has that nerd Eoln removed blocking yet, or has he silently pivoted away because he realized how many problems it would cause?

I mean the second one is definitely not happening, so it's only a matter of time

Literally everyone despised the idea, particularly the people he thought would love it most. He's either gonna memory-hole the whole idea, or do it on a Saturday night on a Ketamine high and be smug about how he's right and how much better Twitter is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
https://twitter.com/jackalope710/status/1696562441658695974