Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone got any recs for really good books about surveillance capitalism? Thank you please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I want to read a detective story that particularly wows me with how smart and clever the detective/criminal/author is.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got any recs for really good books about surveillance capitalism? Thank you please

The definitive answer would be Shoshanna Zuboff "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism"
It's a little dry and academic but imo has some important insights that most popular discussion of the topic gets wrong.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FPyat posted:

I want to read a detective story that particularly wows me with how smart and clever the detective/criminal/author is.
Name of the Rose?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

FPyat posted:

An African Millionaire?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thanks. I do hope the book that Catch Me If You Can was adapted from has some ingenious schemes, even if it’s dubiously truthful.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

FPyat posted:

I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of Maurice LeBlanc's Arsene Lupin stories. They're largely told from the perspective of the criminal, but many latter ones recast Lupin as a detective himself. The Hollow Needle, the first full-length novel in the Lupinverse is a more straightforward detective yarn with the famous gentleman-thief cast as more an antagonist; it's very good.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

anilEhilated posted:

Name of the Rose?

Name of the Rose owns and the audiobook narration by Sean Barrett is something I come back to all the time, even though I don't like audiobooks much

Worth burning a free trial Audible credit on is what I'm saying

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ramie posted:

Name of the Rose owns and the audiobook narration by Sean Barrett is something I come back to all the time, even though I don't like audiobooks much

Worth burning a free trial Audible credit on is what I'm saying

It's also available via my local library and the Libby app, worth checking yours if you don't want to accidentally forget to cancel a free trial (or already used it)

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

or if you don't want to give Amazon money

thanks for the reminder! I forgot that was an option, I know someone that would appreciate not having to pay for Audible

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Libby is great, though Audible has a stranglehold on a lot of audiobooks. For now it's also possible with some finagling to use Overdrive to download those same audiobooks to a Windows PC as non drm'd mp3 files.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

COPE 27 posted:

The definitive answer would be Shoshanna Zuboff "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism"
It's a little dry and academic but imo has some important insights that most popular discussion of the topic gets wrong.

Much obliged, looks great, thanks!

Does anyone have any recs for books about intentionally rethinking or intentionally redesigning your life that have actually good advice and minimum of self help waffle? Trying to think of a way to reclaim as much of my mental autonomy as I can in this time with so much making it difficult

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Does anyone have any recs for books about intentionally rethinking or intentionally redesigning your life that have actually good advice and minimum of self help waffle? Trying to think of a way to reclaim as much of my mental autonomy as I can in this time with so much making it difficult

Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans

It’s, roughly, about applying design thinking principles to your life and career. I read it last summer and enjoyed it and found the exercises it encourages you to do to be usefully thought provoking in the most. I too have a low tolerance for self-help wankery and books that insist on rephrasing the same point half a dozen times in order to flesh out the pamphlet of advise they contain into three hundred pages.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

MisterBear posted:

Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans

It’s, roughly, about applying design thinking principles to your life and career. I read it last summer and enjoyed it and found the exercises it encourages you to do to be usefully thought provoking in the most. I too have a low tolerance for self-help wankery and books that insist on rephrasing the same point half a dozen times in order to flesh out the pamphlet of advise they contain into three hundred pages.

This is exactly the book that I had heard vaguely about but forgotten. Spent an audible on credit on it, thanks for the rec!

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Give me the most heart-wrenching, depressing, and/or cynical modern coming-of-age novels you know. I want to really feel things. And thank you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

HateTheInternet posted:

Give me the most heart-wrenching, depressing, and/or cynical modern coming-of-age novels you know. I want to really feel things. And thank you.

I will use a generous definition of coming-of-age:

The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy (this is "modern" in that it's from the 19th century but not the last 20 years)
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Kindred by Octavia Butler

Longer, weirder:
The Famished Road by Ben Okri
The House of the Spirits by Isabella Allende (this is really a historical fiction following three generations of a household in a fictional South American country, but you follow the childhoods and adolescents of several family members as they come of age.)

tuyop fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 1, 2023

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

HateTheInternet posted:

Cloud Cuckoo Land

If it counts as a coming of age novel, Blood Meridian beats all contenders

E: by modern, do you mean the setting or when it was written?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Thus was Adonis Murdered is a delightfully uptight murder mystery told rather creatively almost entirely through letters. I enjoyed it so much I grabbed the next book of four with the “detective” (an androgynous Oxford Don who is always poking around a group of young barristers in London because they apparently have nothing better to do) to read next

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tom Tucker posted:

Thus was Adonis Murdered is a delightfully uptight murder mystery told rather creatively almost entirely through letters. I enjoyed it so much I grabbed the next book of four with the “detective” (an androgynous Oxford Don who is always poking around a group of young barristers in London because they apparently have nothing better to do) to read next

Sarah Caudwell really was amazing.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Are there any novels or memoirs similar in vibe to Kate Beaton's Ducks?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Are there any novels or memoirs similar in vibe to Kate Beaton's Ducks?

Like Ducks covers a wide area, what are you looking for specifically?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

fez_machine posted:

Like Ducks covers a wide area, what are you looking for specifically?

I guess specifically the vibe of something very personal and a little dark or bleak with a lot of pathos and humor about a rough situation like she was in? I think just atmospherically similar is what I'm looking for

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

hallo spacedog posted:

I guess specifically the vibe of something very personal and a little dark or bleak with a lot of pathos and humor about a rough situation like she was in? I think just atmospherically similar is what I'm looking for

"Congo Journey" by Redmond O'Hanlon"

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

yaffle posted:

"Congo Journey" by Redmond O'Hanlon"

Thanks, this looks really interesting!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want to get my 11 year old a version of The Odyssey he'll like what's a good kids version that isn't too youngish?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Opopanax posted:

I want to get my 11 year old a version of The Odyssey he'll like what's a good kids version that isn't too youngish?

Rosemary Sutcliff did a well regarded version, illustrated by Alan Lee, if that's not to young...

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

HateTheInternet posted:

Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack. It's entries in the diary of a 12 year old very depressing life in NY.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Is there a particular strongly-recommended English translation of Water Margin? (S. L. Huang's recent retelling "The Water Outlaws" is on my radar as well, but even so.)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sci-fi-classic-audiobooks-feat-hell-divers-books
Any of these good?
I can vouch for helldivers

It's pulp trash

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I can't speak to the audiobook quality themselves, but I loved the Runelords books when I was in high school and college. (EDIT: This is at the exact level of damning and/or complimentary that anyone reading this thinks it is.) They are pretty standard early-2000s Tor fantasy fiction, following on the heels of Wheel of Time but before Brandon Sanderson really became a thing. They're not great but also not memorably terrible so there's a reason they got eclipsed so heavily. These four are the whole first series - there's a sequel series focusing on the first series' protagonists' kids, and while much more ambitious I think they're also notably worse overall. Like Farland clearly forgot stuff that happened in the first series and broke some of the rules he laid down for magic, which much like Sanderson later, was something he originally held to strictly to make the plot "make sense" around it.

Also the main bad guy of much of the first series is Raj Ahten, a vaguely Middle-Eastern-to-Indian decadent rear end in a top hat whose whole, uh, thing has aged a bit poorly. I recall his home society gets treated more even-handedly than usual for such things when the series actually goes there, especially given the time in which it was written and published, but it's still got some issues. The main hero of the series is also pretty bland, but the books do go on to cover stuff from other people's perspectives who are slightly more interesting.

Looking elsewhere in the bundle, Lois McMaster Bujold's stuff is usually good or at least relatively light fun, but The Sharing Knife series is one of the only things of hers that I couldn't get into. I don't think it's necessarily poorly written, but it leans way more heavily on romance novel stuff that I just don't really enjoy so I couldn't stick with it. For some reason the fourth book, Horizon, also looks to be missing from the bundle, and that's supposed to be a direct continuation of the third book so there might be an unsatisfied cliffhanger there.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 14, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Butcher's Crossing by John Williams. In the 1870s, inspired by Emersonian poetry, a Harvard student travels to the frontier to find himself.

Extremely slow burn, but beautiful prose. My first John Williams but it won't be my last.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m looking for books about the invasion of Grenada. And/or failing that, a book about the general history of Grenada.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I like the Sharing Knife books, but yeah, they're not particularly high-stakes drama.

The first two Ringworld books are okay, although for the concept rather than the characters. Everything after that is dreck.

Paperboy
Nov 20, 2018

:shepface:
The Essential Sosonko by Gennady Sosonko is a comprehensive series of portraits of famous and not-so-famous chess players. Sosonko is not only a grandmaster himself but is also an excellent journalist and writer in general.

A lot of the bios come from his columns in the New in Chess magazine, which is also considered top shelf. Sosonko paints a vivid picture of life for professional chess players in the USSR and compels the reader to empathize with these often eccentric individuals.

tldr - Sosonko writes stirring chess player bios. The book is a banger.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Paperboy posted:

The Essential Sosonko by Gennady Sosonko is a comprehensive series of portraits of famous and not-so-famous chess players. Sosonko is not only a grandmaster himself but is also an excellent journalist and writer in general.

A lot of the bios come from his columns in the New in Chess magazine, which is also considered top shelf. Sosonko paints a vivid picture of life for professional chess players in the USSR and compels the reader to empathize with these often eccentric individuals.

PYF chess bio mine would have to be Tal. A tragic genius

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Paperboy posted:

This is the perfect answer to a request for books about chess history I made in this thread several years ago, ha.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I’m looking for a good book about ‘co-counselling, “a grassroots method of personal change based on reciprocal peer counselling”.. sort of a peer-to-peer horizontal way of offering effective psychological support to others in a non-hierarchical way. Or any books about similar. Merci beaucoup, my fair goons

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Version of Les Fleurs du Mal that has like.. annotations, or is otherwise reasonably easy to interpret?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PRADA SLUT posted:

Version of Les Fleurs du Mal that has like.. annotations, or is otherwise reasonably easy to interpret?

It isn't annotated but the Edna St. Vincent Millay version is far and away the best translation into English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It isn't annotated but the Edna St. Vincent Millay version is far and away the best translation into English.

I’ll give it a shot. I was hoping for some annotations when I read poetry because it helps me separate the meaning from the masturbation