Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

bad_fmr posted:

A single death is a bloodlust, a million deaths are technically not genocide, and they didnt happen.

Now you’re getting it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

zone posted:

The wins for mighty Puccia just keep flooding in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazprom
Number of employees 466,000[2] (2018)

:byetankie: That's 428 thousand new recruits for the army now they are no longer needed in Gazprom! Just in time for the Big Push to Kyiv! :byetankie:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Tuna-Fish posted:

It matters a lot for this that the first tanks were unusably bad. The vast majority of them broke down en route to the step-off points, most of the rest broke down or got stuck on the way to the enemy lines, and the few that made it there were really only successful because of the psychological impact; both sides quickly found that they were easily knocked out even by small arms fire. (The armor was way too hardened for such thin plates, which meant that hits by rifle bullets would cause them to rapidly spall and erode, and sustained fire would punch through.)

Tanks would get a lot better by the end of the war, but the Churchillian idea that the surprise was squandered taking a few worthless villages is misguided because the tanks, as they existed in September 1916, were actually kinda poo poo, and it took the experience of seeing them fail for their designers to learn of and fix their mistakes. Had the Mark I been massed for a grand assault in some section of the line that was well defended, it probably wouldn't have been a rousing success.

There was a short movie, I think it was done by the BBC, about the first British tank attack from the viewpoint of the commander of one of the tanks. It captured the chaos and confusion of operating a Mark I really well, and the crew realizing that the supposedly bulletproof armor isn't.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1696805996251725875?s=20
Brothers morale extremely high.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

canyoneer posted:

The 2022 All Quiet On The Western Front has a scene with a tank assault by a group of French Saint-Chamond tanks that captures this terror vividly.

There's also a permanent display at the Bovington Tank Museum, where you're basically going through recreated trench systems for a while. Then you start to hear loud rumbling, and recorded voice lines of German grunts going "what the hell is that? What is that noise? Oh my god, what monster is this!" and that sort of thing. Then you come around a corner and see a British Mark IV looming over you.

It was pretty drat effective. Of course it doesn't begin to capture the full effect of tank shock, but still.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1696520148713120095?s=20

quote:

Medvedev has moved on to a new level. Now he threatens the world not just with Apocalypse quotes but also Lenin and Khrushchev quotes.

Below is his Telegram post:

"Ukrainian criminals have announced they were approved any strikes against everything Russian, 'for example in Crimea'.

If it is true (and there is no reason to doubt it now), it is direct legally significant evidence of the West's complicity in the war against Russia on the side of Stepan Bandera's state. A refined casus belli, and for Russia an opportunity to act under jus ad bellum against anyone and everyone in NATO countries.

Sad, alas. The predictions of the Apocalypse are getting closer.

"People will seek death during those days, but they will not find it; they will wish to die, but death will flee from them" (Revelation. 9:6).

"We are remembered as long as we disturb others" (V.I. Lenin).

"Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you." (N.S.Khrushchev)."
Dimon woke up and immediately started screeching. This is a work of art even for him.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

zone posted:

If I did come off as sounding like that, I apologize, but that comment in particular greatly annoyed me for some reason given the kind of copes these twitter vatniks come up with. As far as we're able to see for the time being it's not likely that they can recover from the damage done in this war at all. Very recently Gazprom announced, for instance, that they lost 92% of Year on Year revenue, which is massive. Every day brings with it more severe losses to irreplaceable equipment. Sanctions are still biting, despite not being 100% effective. And even more recently, the cost of bread is beginning to go up. That last named bit has probably done more for ending the war than anything else has in the last several months.

Once again, I apologize if I sounded too flippant about the realities of the situation, because what I was saying was mainly directed at the cope involved more than anything else.

Very much probable that I'm just not in a great place right now so we're good. And yes, apart from how it affects those who have no say but suffer from the economic situation inside Russia, that Gazprom announcement was great.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the popes toes posted:

A convulsing economy offers a lot of corruption opportunities for the right fellow with a little bit of hustle and some get up and go.

putin cuts the bread with a knife

the general cuts it with sawdust

the gazprom oligarch cuts it with indian cow dung baati

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Tuna-Fish posted:

Tanks would get a lot better by the end of the war, but the Churchillian idea that the surprise was squandered taking a few worthless villages is misguided because the tanks, as they existed in September 1916, were actually kinda poo poo, and it took the experience of seeing them fail for their designers to learn of and fix their mistakes. Had the Mark I been massed for a grand assault in some section of the line that was well defended, it probably wouldn't have been a rousing success.

I'm reading his account of WW1 right now, and I was wondering at this assertion in particular. There's a lot of 20-20 hindsight in the book, and Churchill makes it sound like he was always advocating for what turned out to be right in retrospect. Then again, he also makes the point on numerous occasions that Brtitain has always acted to promote integrity and a sense of fair play on the world stage, so I'm suspecting he may have been full of poo poo.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

just wanted to let you know this was a lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is this a real thing that happened because lmfao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

cr0y posted:

Is this a real thing that happened because lmfao

It did happen but that pic is of Vietnamese soldiers attempting to swat a commercial drone out of the sky at a BLACKPINK concert in Hanoi.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://nitter.net/GeoConfirmed/status/1696811846303449093#m

Ukraine looks like they breached first main line near Verbove

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Let's loving goooooo! :byetankie:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

did this ever get crossposted

quote:

Russia is hiring young Cubans to sign contracts and go to Ukraine, at arrival in Russia they take the passports and documentation, make them sing contracts without translation and send them to die and work digging trenches, they end up not being paid also, and are asking for help to escape.

cubans winding up on the frontline is uh :stare:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

did this ever get crossposted

cubans winding up on the frontline is uh :stare:

:wtc:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's going to be pretty funny if the Russians wasted all their resources and potential defending the picket defenses and have run out of steam just as they were supposed to leverage their main advantage.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/08/30/7417687/

quote:

Details: Kuleba told diplomats how this became possible.

The foreign minister said that for several months, one Ukrainian unit had been conducting continuous assaults in this area of the front, and due to exhaustion and losses, at some point, this unit lost the ability to continue the offensive. And then "radical decisions" were made: the unit's leadership was changed.

The minister said that the new commander asked to assemble soldiers who were motivated and ready to perform combat missions. A consolidated group of 31 soldiers was created, a third of whom had no combat experience, but all of whom had the knowledge and will to win.

Kuleba added that thanks to the leadership of the commanders and sergeants, this group established "horizontal links" with neighbouring units and started working on the contact line.

Quote: "For 18 hours, they crawled literally on their stomachs through kilometres of minefields, where the Russians had placed six mines per square metre.

Finally, the unit reached a strip of trees dividing farmers' fields. Everyone in Ukraine knows this word - ‘a tree planting’. It is in these invisible landings that the greatest tragedies and heroism of the war take place. So, our unit drove the Russians out of there and held the position for two days until reinforcements arrived.

Subsequently, this group walked another 10 kilometres with backpacks weighing 35-40 kilograms through minefields. They only had time to catch their breath briefly and immediately stormed the fortified Russian positions, drove the enemy out and held out until the main forces arrived.

In total, this unit conducted six assaults and two reconnaissance missions in 40 days. A group of 31 men did the work of an entire battalion, which should have consisted of about 400 men. The losses amounted to seven wounded, including only one seriously injured after stepping on a mine.

In fact, the work of this group made it possible for an entire brigade to attack Robotyne and liberate it after weeks of assaults. After securing its flanks, we open the way to Tokmak and, ultimately, Melitopol and the border with Crimea."
Brave men!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Philonius posted:

I'm reading his account of WW1 right now, and I was wondering at this assertion in particular. There's a lot of 20-20 hindsight in the book, and Churchill makes it sound like he was always advocating for what turned out to be right in retrospect. Then again, he also makes the point on numerous occasions that Brtitain has always acted to promote integrity and a sense of fair play on the world stage, so I'm suspecting he may have been full of poo poo.

Churchill full of poo poo? You don't say!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1696520148713120095?s=20

Dimon woke up and immediately started screeching. This is a work of art even for him.

I'll just put this with my Causus Beli collection (closet bursts open spilling Causus Beli everywhere).

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Karate Bastard posted:

What will it take to fix russia? Like, how many generations of exactly what jesus christ good lord what??? will it take?

Someone with long hair will supplant Putin, so…

The second coming of Jesus?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

There was a short movie, I think it was done by the BBC, about the first British tank attack from the viewpoint of the commander of one of the tanks. It captured the chaos and confusion of operating a Mark I really well, and the crew realizing that the supposedly bulletproof armor isn't.

Our World War part 3.

Whole series is here if you've go access to Iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p022twsy/our-world-war

Part 2 is Ok, part 1 about the opening clash at Mons is also pretty good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

EasilyConfused posted:

Churchill full of poo poo? You don't say!

Churchill was a great orator, but bad at pretty much everything else, especially military adventures, and he cracked the sads quite a bit when FDR and Stalin started consigning him to the kids table with De Gaulle and Chiang in the various conferences.

Also he was a massive racist, having amongst other things deliberately starved India and sent the food to emergency back up storage in the home islands just in case it was needed. He then of course lost his poo poo when India decided to go independent, bcause how dare they.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 30, 2023

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Philonius posted:

As someone with joint nz/uk citizenship, Churchill is a loving prick for pushing repeatedly at every level for Gallipoli campaign, a meat grinder in such terrible terrain that the opening day of it is now the remembrance day (anzac day) in Australia and new zealand. On top of this it was such a resounding success for the ottoman empire that it helped pull the country together from the verge of collapse for another few years, and the commander of the ottoman forces got so much renown from it he went on to found Turkey after the collapse.

Churchill was very good at revising his own history, so dont believe all of it.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Hey little man how's it going?

Jesus loving Christ.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

one could say Churchill always made the right decision

after exhausting all others

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zone posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

shoigu: "remove the gold afterwards. Subpar wood only"

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

zone posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Pictured: large piece of inert deadwood gaudily covered in gold decorations.

Also pictured: shrine to Prigozhin.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zone posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Is that Hot Dog Man as a saint???

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
PSA- anything higher than 2 story is a no no, this includes planes.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

zone posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-says-prigozhin-plane-crash-may-have-been-caused-deliberately-2023-08-30/

:psyduck:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

NTRabbit posted:

Churchill was a great orator, but bad at pretty much everything else, especially military adventures, and he cracked the sads quite a bit when FDR and Stalin started consigning him to the kids table with De Gaulle and Chiang in the various conferences.

Also he was a massive racist, having amongst other things deliberately starved India and sent the food to emergency back up storage in the home islands just in case it was needed. He then of course lost his poo poo when India decided to go independent, bcause how dare they.

Christopher Hitchens once wrote that Churchill "once described himself as the lone voice warning the British people against the twin menaces of Hitler and Gandhi".

However, I have never been able to find the source of that Churchill quote. Has anyone encountered it anywhere else?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ataxerxes posted:

:haibrow:https://search.alexanderstreet.com/preview/work/bibliographic_entity%7Cvideo_work%7C3366552

Our World War, Episode 3 - War Machine. Its really good.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

No way! :lmao:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

It's going to be pretty funny if the Russians wasted all their resources and potential defending the picket defenses and have run out of steam just as they were supposed to leverage their main advantage.

They never had a strategy after this even if their dumbass Imaginot Line worked:

Hold Ukraine Offensive
???
Blyat

Was the plan. They don't have the resources, morale, or equipment to go on the offensive themselves anymore, and Russia's infrastructure is starting to up in flames

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zone posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

I wonder how the pope feels about this

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Why would the Pope care about Orthodox shenanigans? It's been a thousand years since the split.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Whoever can fix the great schism with a three day special operation gets to be the new pope

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

zone posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

What would Saint Yevgeny's patronage be? Mercenaries and catering are the obvious answers.

Maybe he could be prayed to in order to intercede if your boss doesn't give you what you need to do your job.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Their whole plan was march into Ukraine and think it would be over in a week. Remeber troops near Kyiv that had packed parade uniforms. There was no plan B or anything. There's still no plan other than Ukraine is ours and it's badly showing. Putin trying to go for worst president of Russia and/or USSR for the history books.

p.s. Ruble heading back to 100 territory again and 10 yr bonds going up up up!