Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

Or do you just really need the expose view and search functionality to be combined into one ui mode?

yes. surprisingly enough GNOME has developed the one true UI design

apparently KDE has an activities overview plug-in now instead of just Expose, but I haven’t tried it because of the aforementioned font issues

there’s also some kind of declarative scripting thing that I think can replicate the minimize all behavior, but I haven’t looked into it too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

looks like kde 5 must now be in good shape and worth trying out because it didn't have the usual june release and they're working on a kde 6 replacement

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

looks like kde 5 must now be in good shape and worth trying out because it didn't have the usual june release and they're working on a kde 6 replacement
Apparently plasma 6 is the same as plasma 5 but switched over from qt 5 to qt 6 so it isn't that much of a change

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
biggest change is probably that wayland's gonna be the default option

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Plasma 6 is going to be a jump because anyone doing feature development is going to do it against qt6, so when that releases there's going to be a bunch of stuff in it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FlapYoJacks posted:

This is why you should use the proper Linux Distribution: Fedora.

*tips distro*

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
maybe it’s different and better now but the last time I used gnome 3 I actually wanted to die

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
like idk how they did it. but the gnome team really dug deep, put in a lot of late nights, and expended a considerable amount of creative energy on just coming up with the most dogshit ways of doing things

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

maybe it’s different and better now but the last time I used gnome 3 I actually wanted to die

that was like 41 versions ago. theyre on 44 now.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

*tips distro*

is this like cow tipping?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

post hole digger posted:

that was like 41 versions ago. theyre on 44 now.

ill wait for 25 more versions

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Gnome is good because I can smash the windows button and see all the open windows but also immediately start typing for the application I want Bing bong so simple.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wonder if there is something that architecturally prevents an option for the search in the "present windows" mode in plasma from using krunner (since krunner is a separate plugin) instead of just searching the windows being shown?

I don't think it's a huge issue for me, but I have to admit that combining these two features into one as gnome does is pretty nice, and all the functionality is basically there in kde right now, it's just in two different places

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Gnomes not perfect but I tried plasma over the weekend and it’s not for me right now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I started with Plasma when I first switched to Linux and ended up spending so much time having to tinker with that DE to get it to work the way I want. It maybe does a couple of things better than Gnome. But, like the way the workflows go in Gnome make sense, and it's got sane defaults other than the lack of a dash-to-dock and Caffeine built in. But those were a quick couple of extensions, and I've not had to fiddle with or gently caress with Gnome after the 2 minutes it took to add those.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Gnome is very opinionated but after the initial shock of adjustment a fair few of those opinionated aspects of the intended workflow do work surprisingly well. That doesn't change the fact that gnome developers can be rather difficult and unpleasant to work with. Case in point, the issue that i was talking about earlier. There are far more diplomatic ways of getting the point across than what we see here.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/4345

There is also the fact that Gnome devs have consistently held a rather cavalier attitude towards API stability. Technologies like Flatpak make this less of an issue now than it was in the past, but under a classical distro model this scared developers off Gtk in droves. I'd say the majority of former Gtk 2 projects chose to migrate to Qt instead of moving to Gtk 3.

The combination of these two cultural issues puts Gnome in a very precarious position because they discourage outside contributors that aren't long standing core development group. IBM's recent decision to withdraw a lot of manpower from the project could be just the nudge that sends it into a death spiral. The main thing keeping Gnome going up until now was the lack of mature and credible alternatives, but KDE has caught up and shed a lot of the stupider aesthetic and technological decisions that were holding it back until now.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

quote:

There is also the fact that Gnome devs have consistently held a rather cavalier attitude towards API stability. Technologies like Flatpak make this less of an issue now than it was in the past, but under a classical distro model this scared developers off Gtk in droves. I'd say the majority of former Gtk 2 projects chose to migrate to Qt instead of moving to Gtk 3.

gnome/gtk also sucks at any sort of backwards compatibility

gnome settings, firefox, and element all have different sized title bars

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

gnome settings, firefox, and element all have different sized title bars

if you think that’s bad wait until you get a load of Windows

weast
Nov 7, 2012

as someone who has only messed around in linux a little bit the fact that to make gnome have a less insane ui you have to open up a web browser and install an extension seems even more insane

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

weast posted:

as someone who has only messed around in linux a little bit the fact that to make gnome have a less insane ui you have to open up a web browser and install an extension seems even more insane

Much to my delight I learned that plasmas extension system is somehow worse

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
why would you need to extend plasma

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
gnome users got stockholm syndrome so bad they immediately look to installing extensions when trying another desktop

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lmao i just got hit by an audio linux bug. sorta. it's specifically when i try to run my diy voiceprint visualizer against the system audio

specifically there's a recent regression in pipewire where it doesn't let you open monitor devices in sdl2 anymore. the monitor device shows up in sdl2's list of capture devices, but if you try to actually open it then sdl2 freaks out with ""Requested PulseAudio sink/source missing?"

rather than debug whatever pipewire had decided to break sometime in the last couple months, i just fixed it by switching back to using stock pulseaudio, which worked. problem solved

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

kinda annoying because i'd been using pipewire for the last couple years or so with no issues, it had basically been a more stable pulseaudio replacement. how the mighty have fallen

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you should report it somewhere, it sounded kinda niche

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tankakern posted:

you should report it somewhere, it sounded kinda niche

their gitlab is down and throwing 502s so i assume they're not interested

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

weast posted:

What? No? It hasn't been that way for years.

Just grab the extension manager from flathub and you can manage them all in there.

https://flathub.org/apps/com.mattjakeman.ExtensionManager

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

What? No? It hasn't been that way for years.

Just grab the extension manager from flathub and you can manage them all in there.

https://flathub.org/apps/com.mattjakeman.ExtensionManager

I had literally no idea this exists because when you look at the gnome shell extensions website and go to troubleshooting, it asks you to install the browser plugin. Nothing about this random other software that I was supposed to know about I guess, now I know for next time I try though

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'm a bit surprised it isn't bundled with gnome. pop_os has it by default, for example, and it seems like something that shouldn't be an extra step

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

i'm a bit surprised it isn't bundled with gnome. pop_os has it by default, for example, and it seems like something that shouldn't be an extra step

honestly it might have been and i just missed it because i was vaguely familiar with how it used to be, and nothing told me otherwise

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

at the risk of introducing even more instability into an already questionably stable DE, I use PaperWM and it makes Gnome tolerable for me :unsmith:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/30424662/221416159-464d7512-5174-451b-9035-0ee84f9eb4ec.mp4

that and VShell to let me search windows easily

but I also have a 4K monitor and aspire to get one with >60Hz and VRR / HDR so it sounds like I'll probably also want to switch over to KDE at some point in the future. I like my infinitely scrolling desktop :smith:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 29, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently the built in tiling in KDE doesn't let you have different layouts for each virtual desktop, so I'm using the bismuth plugin now. It's a bit more janky than a real tiling window manager and it's also dynamic tiling rather than manual tiling, which I prefer, but it's ok for the time being

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

corona familiar posted:

at the risk of introducing even more instability into an already questionably stable DE, I use PaperWM and it makes Gnome tolerable for me :unsmith:

it's like if i3 was designed by people who really like e-readers

I don't know how to feel about this

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
lol tiling

y’all would have liked CMU’s Andrew system

(except for the weird-rear end scroll bars, everyone hated those, they work like neither Smalltalk/X11-Athena nor Star/ViewPoint nor Lisa/Mac/Windows/Amiga/Atari)

tiling is the “vi is the best because I’m more efficient” of window systems

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
in this corner... the vi is the best because I'm more efficient people! and in the other... the unused memory is wasted memory people!

ding ding ding

*vi users are crumpled in a heap having spent the entire fight trying to remember the command sequence to tap gloves*

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

it's like if i3 was designed by people who really like e-readers

I don't know how to feel about this

i too love and have pushed paperwm here many times, so i'll just tell you: you should probably feel good about it.

it is very much tiling for normal people though, a lot of aero-snap'pish interactions (i.e. tear a window off to float it or tile it into a column, everything in the infinite row by default) and some limitations that simplify things (tiling is always an infinite row of screen-height columns, e.g. no such thing as two windows above one other window) but would probably annoy the tiling hardcore.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

in this corner... the vi is the best because I'm more efficient people! and in the other... the unused memory is wasted memory people!

ding ding ding

*vi users are crumpled in a heap having spent the entire fight trying to remember the command sequence to tap gloves*
wait, i have to fight myself???

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

wait, i have to fight myself???

this is what they call the duality of man!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
big fan of overlapping windows here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Who needs a tiling WM when Tmux and a single open terminal is all you need?