Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Ok, so this is more a vanilla question than a modded, but how far can you push villager trades? Trying to do a stone->emerald setup with Easy Villagers and want to make it as good as possible via conversion. So far I'm at 26. I can't find a resource for this, oddly. It's also kind of annoying since the the bonus happiness obfuscates the actual final trade value.

If you want emeralds I think the vanilla way is typically sticks or glass panes for emeralds and you can get it down to 1 for 1 trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Maguoob posted:

If you want emeralds I think the vanilla way is typically sticks or glass panes for emeralds and you can get it down to 1 for 1 trades.

I don't have access to auto-crafting and don't get infinite sticks anymore from Vaults, sadly. I've got a lot of mob drops coming in, so I'm currently hocking zombie flesh. Made some Easy Villagers farmers and have them selling carrots. Could also probably sell iron, too. I'm basically just trying to set and forget a system for getting emeralds and keeping my stores of stuff like redstone and diamonds at a certain level. Figured we generate a lot of stone, so selling that made sense.

Works quite well, given the chunkloader. Diamonds are my favorite, it's buying enchanted boots and just grinding them up. 1 emerald for 3 diamonds is hard to complain about.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 18, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I've been screwing around with mod code so I can add QoL stuff to GTNH. I wrote a thing to fold dollies so you can stack them and put them into backpacks. The GTNH devs have done a bunch of work to make working with mods easy (plus IntelliJ does a ton of heavy lifting as well.)

https://i.imgur.com/jww1ACG.mp4

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a recommended beginner modpack that is pretty all encompassing? I haven't really played Minecraft much in like uhhh 5-8 years so yeah, just remember having a lot of fun with Tekkit and stuff back in the day, kinda possibly looking for something me and my 11 year old could play together via LAN potentially.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there a recommended beginner modpack that is pretty all encompassing? I haven't really played Minecraft much in like uhhh 5-8 years so yeah, just remember having a lot of fun with Tekkit and stuff back in the day, kinda possibly looking for something me and my 11 year old could play together via LAN potentially.

The All The Mods series is possibly suitable for that. It's got a lot of quests telling you what to do and how to mess with the mods in the pack. All The Mods 8 is the latest, so probably what you want.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Been taking a bit of a vaulting break and have been working on the base aesthetics. Made a library themed after the omega room in the vaults and cleaned up my Villager trading hall. I don't need either, since I have easy villagers, but I liked the looks. I really like the mosaic glass from Macaw's Windows.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
A friend of mine is moving away, and we decided we're going to set up a Minecraft server in the coming months as a way to keep in touch. What's the current state of the art for modded Minecraft modpacks? In the past I really liked the "kitchen sink" FTB packs, like FTB Infinity and Ultimate. Whatever is currently the most popular one is fine by me, just not clear to me what that actually is right now.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Talorat posted:

A friend of mine is moving away, and we decided we're going to set up a Minecraft server in the coming months as a way to keep in touch. What's the current state of the art for modded Minecraft modpacks? In the past I really liked the "kitchen sink" FTB packs, like FTB Infinity and Ultimate. Whatever is currently the most popular one is fine by me, just not clear to me what that actually is right now.

Probably All the Mods is what you’re looking for - it’s a modern kitchen sink pack. I can’t personally vouch for anything (I make my own mod packs to play with my brother).

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Perfect, this looks like exactly what I want, thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I have found that Minecolonies and Create are scratching the same kind of itch as Thaumcraft used to in terms of building big cool stuff.

Also Ars Nouveau is quite useful.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Genuinely thought this was Vintage Story for a sec, holy hell.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Does Minecraft play funky with HFR monitors?

I moved and in doing so upgraded from a 60hz ultrawide to a 1440 144hz monitor, that's the only thing that's changed about my setup. But when I fired up my Create A&B save to get back into it, I'm getting a stable and consistent....13fps. Mucking around with settings hasn't changed much, can anyone point me at some troubleshooting resources?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Genuinely thought this was Vintage Story for a sec, holy hell.

It's the Alacrity resource pack, it has some very nice custom models and foliage especially. I used to use John Smith but that's way out of date now I think.

The Minecolonies mod also includes a thing that adds a bunch of custom block shapes that use the textures of whatever you make them out of.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 25, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I have a 1080p 144Hz monitor and haven't experienced any issues running modded MC at higher than 60 fps.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i have a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor, and the 144hz uses gsync while the 60hz uses freesync. sometimes after reboots i need to toggle freesync off and then back on to make minecraft work normally.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The other day I had the solo minecraft mod / safari itch and checked our Private Game Servers board. I joined this this server using this pack called "FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.19". I am blown away by how quickly this particular pack loads and how well it runs so far.

I have played a bunch of tekkit or some kitchen sink packs 7-10 years back. 5 years ago I played a few weeks in Blightfell. 2-3 years ago I reached age 2 in SevTech Ages. Beat vanilla for the first time 1-2 years ago. I can build a smeltery easily but I'd say I'm not good or in touch with current modded MC. Have tried others over the years but generally I get boddied by modded mobs and lose interest.

I'm really interested in Colonies. It's like a worse version of some of the best parts of Dragon Quest Builders 2. My problem is that everything easily kills me and I am struggling to find or hang on to iron. I have found that the craftable supply camps and ships are good as a free source of certain materials like wool and books. The world is loaded with loot chests but it's tough to hang onto anything for long. If I keep a close eye on the sky a sleeping bag helps keep me and the citizens alive. As soon as I finished the walls and torches, a lightning elemental or something flew in to kill me with lightning bolts and enlightenment. It was a bit funny, and I would rather overcome these challenges some day rather than disable them.

Any early-game survival tips or beginner item farm hints for a modded world?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 30, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

The other day I had the solo minecraft mod / safari itch and checked our Private Game Servers board. I joined this this server using this pack called "FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.19". I am blown away by how quickly this particular pack loads and how well it runs so far.

I have played a bunch of tekkit or some kitchen sink packs 7-10 years back. 5 years ago I played a few weeks in Blightfell. 2-3 years ago I reached age 2 in SevTech Ages. Beat vanilla for the first time 1-2 years ago. I can build a smeltery easily but I'd say I'm not good or in touch with current modded MC. Have tried others over the years but generally I get boddied by modded mobs and lose interest.

I'm really interested in Colonies. It's like a worse version of some of the best parts of Dragon Quest Builders 2. My problem is that everything easily kills me and I am struggling to find or hang on to iron. I have found that the craftable supply camps and ships are good as a free source of certain materials like wool and books. The world is loaded with loot chests but it's tough to hang onto anything for long. If I keep a close eye on the sky a sleeping bag helps keep me and the citizens alive. As soon as I finished the walls and torches, a lightning elemental or something flew in to kill me with lightning bolts and enlightenment. It was a bit funny, and I would rather overcome these challenges some day rather than disable them.

Any early-game survival tips or beginner item farm hints for a modded world?
Build yourself a secure house somewhere and while in it, type "/sethome" into the chat and see what happens. If it says you se a home, "/home" will teleport you to thhe place you /sethome, and /back will teleport you back where you were when you used /home, so you can drop off loot much more easily. If you're a fast enough typer you can escape danger this way, too.

Also, make a lot of charcoal to make torches and press F7 and place torches around your house until there's no yellow X anywhere nearby so there's nowhere unlit enough monsters can spawn at night.

Does it have a quest book? If there is, it should be in the top left when you open your inventory, that can help you get started by providing directions and some rewards.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Zereth posted:

Build yourself a secure house somewhere and while in it, type "/sethome" into the chat and see what happens. If it says you se a home, "/home" will teleport you to thhe place you /sethome, and /back will teleport you back where you were when you used /home, so you can drop off loot much more easily. If you're a fast enough typer you can escape danger this way, too.

Also, make a lot of charcoal to make torches and press F7 and place torches around your house until there's no yellow X anywhere nearby so there's nowhere unlit enough monsters can spawn at night.

Does it have a quest book? If there is, it should be in the top left when you open your inventory, that can help you get started by providing directions and some rewards.

Thanks a lot for the charcoal tip. Big help. I forgot to try /sethome /home and /back. That particular server got pulled which is probably best for my poor citizens. Time for a new one where I'll hoard resources before struggling with a colony this time. My new seed starts next to a giant above-ground dungeon which is a great start.

This pack doesn't have a quest book. The mods have their own books and there's something called Akashic Tome to collect them into one book. There are achievements to aim for. It seems the intended experience is to watch a YouTuber do a Let's Play and follow along. Not really my thing, but I'm otherwise adoring the pack.

Now I'm consider how much cheating I want to do. I had forgotten how much work it is to set up ME storage from zero, and how much I hate corpse running and mobs ruining machines. But overcoming that stuff without handing myself items is more rewarding. For the start I've disabled dropping items on death, advancing time, and phantoms.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 31, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Thanks a lot for the charcoal tip. Big help. I forgot to try /sethome /home and /back. That particular server got pulled which is probably best for my poor citizens. Time for a new one where I'll hoard resources before struggling with a colony this time. My new seed starts next to a giant above-ground dungeon which is a great start.

This pack doesn't have a quest book. The mods have their own books and there's something called Akashic Tome to collect them into one book. There are achievements to aim for. It seems the intended experience is to watch a YouTuber do a Let's Play and follow along. Not really my thing, but I'm otherwise adoring the pack.

Now I'm consider how much cheating I want to do. I had forgotten how much work it is to set up ME storage from zero, and how much I hate corpse running and mobs ruining machines. But overcoming that stuff without handing myself items is more rewarding. For the start I've disabled dropping items on death, advancing time, and phantoms.

Does it have Refined Storage? that's similar to Applied Energistics but less fiddly, it mostly just requires a lot of input resources and crafts which you can eventually automate with it. Also if it has Ars Nouveau you can fairly quickly get a spellbook and a spell that lets you place torch equivalents that are permanent, from range, at no cost other than your regenerating mana bar.

I'd recommend building walls around the minecolonies town when you get started, and making very sure everything inside is lit up (including roofs) and for a ways around it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Can anyone check if minecolonies is compatible with chisel and bits? It was for awhile, and then it wasn't, and last I checked they were working on adding it back? Don't really want to go through the effort of setting everything back up again just to try it out but I also didn't see much in their github commits. I just want to make a stupid pretty village :argh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so I've been running my modpack on 1.18.1 for a long time now, because some mods hadn't updated. but now I want to update to a more current version after seeing some that haven't been updated in ages but were still compatible until recent patches have been updated to some of the most recent versions(like Lava Sponge). I've never updated through Prism before, do I just change the version of Minecraft on here:

and then hit check for updates here:

and it'll automatically update them all? or do I need to manually update them all? asking before I do anything in case I somehow gently caress everything up.

e: ah poo poo, is Oh The Biomes You'll Go an abandoned mod? it hasn't updated and the creator's twitter hasn't been used in months, with a last update right before they were supposedly going to release a new version...hope he's okay.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 2, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well I got this far, got the game to load with mods enabled and updated, but then it gives me this crash report for Oh The Biomes You'll Go upon startup: https://mclo.gs/4sCo2Mq

if someone manages to help me fix all this garbage so it works again, I'll give you an av or plat cert, your choice

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's complaining about a missing global_biome_swapper JSON key in the existing BYG config.

https://gist.github.com/CorgiTaco/988408d59afd92ba1452e2fe6ddd594c says:

quote:

- Configs

- It is advised to delete your config directory and let your game regenerate them fresh.
- Overworld Biomes - <gamedir>/config/byg-overworld-biomes.json5
- Added a global biome swapper which allows you to swap a biome of your choice to another for ALL Overworld regions. This is for those of you who don't want to edit numerous files.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

pseudorandom name posted:

It's complaining about a missing global_biome_swapper JSON key in the existing BYG config.

https://gist.github.com/CorgiTaco/988408d59afd92ba1452e2fe6ddd594c says:
well that was simpler than I expected.

I was able to load my world after excising that folder. thanks! what sort of cert would you like? it was a stupidly easy fix, but it fixed it, so I'm happy and you get a cert of your choice.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
For those still into GTNH the 2.4 update is in RC builds so should be done soon for another major stable version.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

well that was simpler than I expected.

I was able to load my world after excising that folder. thanks! what sort of cert would you like? it was a stupidly easy fix, but it fixed it, so I'm happy and you get a cert of your choice.

nothing, thanks.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

and it'll automatically update them all? or do I need to manually update them all? asking before I do anything in case I somehow gently caress everything up.

Wait that worked? I'd never thought of doing things that way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I updated the main version of minecraft and appropriate version of forge to the version of minecraft that still had all the mods working(so 1.19.4) and then hit "check for updates" in the mod section options, and it automatically updated everything. then I wiped the config folder like I was told here and blammo, it all worked

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm like 99% of the way to being perfectly great with all my mods updated and everything, but there's one singular mod that's not working properly so far that I've encountered. it's Pam's Harvestcraft 2: Trees. In the Life in the Woods: Renaissance modpack from ages ago, the fruit trees would spawn very rarely, but allow you to harvest and create your own saplings to plant elsewhere. That still works here, but...something is super wrong with the spawn rates, I walked into a new location and there were multiple dozens of fruit trees in only a few chunks. I'm obviously not very good with this stuff, so how would I go about editing the config file to make it so fruit tree spawn rates aren't insanely high? The config file is basically blank, with only the following in it:

quote:

["Right-click Fruit Tree Harvesting Settings"]
#Disable/enable right-click harvesting of tree fruits
"Enable right-click harvesting for tree fruits" = true

anything more complicated than that sort of stuff is greek to me, especially conjuring up new rules to include in there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't have any specific magic there, but I had a general idea to regenerate the configuration file using the new mod version:

1. Back poo poo up.
2. Delete the existing config files.
3. Start up the pack. Maybe even create a new world.
4. Quit.
5. Look at what config files you have now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nope, just brings back that basically blank config file with the above quoted segment and nothing else. I guess I'll just disable it for now, I'd rather not have it at all than have them popping up absolutely everywhere. like, in past versions, it would be one of those fruit trees in a small to medium sized biome at most, maybe a few of them in a huge jungle biome. but here, I could see 8-12 of them in viewing distance in any direction I looked. it's too much, and since I can't read the matrix, I don't know how to modify it, so I'll just disable it until I hear back from the creator if ever.

I think the difference is the old version was all one mod, Pam's Harvestcraft, but now it's split up into four different mods, and the tree mod doesn't have a robust config file like the old mod did(which DID have settings for tree spawn rate, but is not compatible with the new version of the mod)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yo dawg I heard you like version disparities

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I do not

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dumb question, are there multiple config files?

seems to be implied in the source (ChanceConfig.java might mean a corresponding .cfg), although the github version linked has 1.18 as its latest version rather than 1.20

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jesus I had forgotten how long everything takes to get started in modded MC. Each mod's book or wiki has a helpful Getting Started, but it's days of collecting or teching to specific materials to get some benefit out of any. Not that I'm expecting to launch a spaceship or build a nuclear reactor overnight.

Create is exceptional in that it adds tools that are immediately useful and accessible without being broken.

Colonies is fantastic, but it's very slow to setup with low-stat starter colonists and the amount of materials it requires. No bonsai trees or planter-hopper things that I've found yet. Storage for construction materials is also irksome at builder level one. I can not imagine forestry and mining will produce enough material to really help construction.
The colonists have surprisingly good pathfinding and can navigate ladders and steep corners. Now building inside and on top the above-ground dungeon.

There are still so many systems and guide books I haven't dabbled with yet. I'd like to get further into Ars before diving into the many other magic mods.

I think maybe 1.19 is why performance is so good with this mod pack. Probably the first pack for 1.19 I've tried.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Forestry and mining in minecolonies are actually very helpful, I've been using medieval dark oak style and 90% of the level 1 buildings are just made out of wood, dirt, and coarse dirt. Coarse dirt can be made by the builder as it's a 2x2 recipe so all you really need is a lot of dirt, wood, and some gravel. Also some coal/charcoal for campfires and torches.

If you cut down a load of your desired tree type and process it into planks, stairs, slabs, fences, doors, and leave some as logs, then supply that to a builder to set up a builder hut, tavern, a woodcutter, and a carpenter, that will let you automate collection and processing of almost all the basic materials you need to build level 1 buildings and sprawl out your town.

After that you want a mine or a quarry, a quarry I think is probably easier although I haven't built one cos my style pack didn't have one in it and I don't have anywhere I want to dig a huge pit, but mines need a regular supply of wood products to build out the mine shafts whereas I think quarries are less demanding? Either way you can get a good supply of ore and stone from some sort of excavation. Then you want to set up a warehouse, couriers, guards, hospital, farm etc to keep your town running automatically. You also want a university before you hit 25 villagers because you need to research to get more than that and there's a bunch of useful stuff you can unlock with research, sooner you can start that the better IMO.

Once you've got stone and perhaps a stone mason you want to start upgrading your buildings because that boosts your villager's work speed a ton, and good villagers work better than lots of villagers on things like building and mining.

A high level smeltery is also a good rush because it can break up ore blocks into significantly more ore than you can, equivalent to applying fortune to them, and you also need that for the stone smelter which is very helpful to have.

You will find that higher level buildings usually require a pittance of some very specific resource and yeah that can be annoying, but mostly it means you need to explore and just grab a bit of everything. Flowers in particular, you need specific flowers for higher level residences and until you get a level 3 flower shop you need to get them from the biomes that spawn them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 5, 2023

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
I think a lot of mods these days split their configs into client and server versions. The server versions are written into the save/world folder, I think, either from the serverconfigs folder if a custom one exists there, or the mod just writes a default config when you create the world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dumb question, are there multiple config files?

seems to be implied in the source (ChanceConfig.java might mean a corresponding .cfg), although the github version linked has 1.18 as its latest version rather than 1.20
it doesn't, I asked in the discord and nobody could find anything relevant, recommending I go in and manually modify the code for each type of tree spawn instead. I don't think I even have a program to read those files, let alone the knowhow to edit them properly.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

it doesn't, I asked in the discord and nobody could find anything relevant, recommending I go in and manually modify the code for each type of tree spawn instead. I don't think I even have a program to read those files, let alone the knowhow to edit them properly.

Shouldn't it be LUA? You can edit that in notepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not at my PC right now but iirc everything besides the config file when opened in Notepad was full of gobbledygook. You could pick out certain things but then they'd be surrounded by nonsense.