Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Machai posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: I have never directly helped anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
V curious what that job is. Asylum centre medical?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ever read the CIA's guide to sabotaging an organization from the inside? My team seems to think that's just How Work Works and should be done as much as possible. I work primarily with CIA plants I s2g

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

goatface posted:

V curious what that job is. Asylum centre medical?

Construction at a factory with very specific technologies and chemicals/materials.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

Ever read the CIA's guide to sabotaging an organization from the inside? My team seems to think that's just How Work Works and should be done as much as possible. I work primarily with CIA plants I s2g

My organization is clearly the French equivalent.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I feel like doing 13+ hour shifts for 3 weeks will reduce your life span. I did 12s one week and it was miserable poo poo. You have no life. Just work eat sleep.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

peanut posted:

Pretty soon I'll be doing a short-term high-intensity interpretation job that requires me to work 13+ hour shifts for 2-3 weeks, generally in full PPE.
Any tips from the work shitpost crew for the wild ride before me?

If this is the plot from arrival, please don't prevent the nuclear holocaust

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Street Horrrsing posted:

If this is the plot from arrival, please don't prevent the nuclear holocaust

If you discover extra-temporal consciousness, tell me the winning lotto numbers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're doings 24 hr shifts of spacewalks to scrape barnacles off the ISS.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

peanut posted:

Pretty soon I'll be doing a short-term high-intensity interpretation job that requires me to work 13+ hour shifts for 2-3 weeks, generally in full PPE.

• Hydrate. Make good snacks available for every chance you get to be out of full PPE.
  • Make really good agreements with your family on how those three weeks are going to be handled.
  • Apologize in advance for the inevitable blowup due to stress and lack of downtime. Identify the most like causes in advance and plan around them.
  • Plan to both make up for lost time with your family and to do whatever stress recuperation technique works best for you. Putting the family time first is recommended, so plan on a fourth week with insufficient sleep and mental health time, you'll be happy you put them first years down the line.
  • Hydrate.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most excellent advice, oh wise one

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Invalid Validation posted:

I feel like doing 13+ hour shifts for 3 weeks will reduce your life span. I did 12s one week and it was miserable poo poo. You have no life. Just work eat sleep.

It absolutely will. Back when I was adjunct teaching, I was getting paid poo poo, but we had to make things work. The husband and I were tag teaming parenting. He was working late nights and weekends delivering pizzas; I was teaching and tutoring 36 hours a week (not including grading and prep) over three days, tutoring for 4 hours a 4th day, and then on Fridays I was doing 8 hours of physical labor at a farm in trade for food. I did this for a couple months.

I don't remember much from that period, but I remember my husband waking me up at one point because I was sleeping deeply enough that I stopped breathing. They eventually put me in a full time position but still needed me to teach, and after a couple months of that, I came down with a lovely lung infection that lasted for 6 months. That was a decade ago now. There are aspects of my health that have never recovered from that, and any sort of cold or flu immediately moves into my lungs now.

We were desperate and poor, and I will tell everyone that if you do not NEED to do that kind of work, DON'T. It is not worth it, and the companies you work for will gladly send flowers to your funeral before paying you what you need.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

peanut posted:

Yeah, come up with a cooler name than "covid" this time.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
when I did tree work it was 12's all summer man. farmer hours.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Invalid Validation posted:

Yeah it sucks almost as much as losing your home. Ive done it on and off most of my life and it's miserable af.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When I did 6 months of 4 12hr days, 2 off, 4 12 hr nights, 2 off I was young and dumb and the only real hazard was to my liver as I spent the entire off time drinking. Echoing if you're in PPE in the heat any moment you are out of PPE is spent hydrating and eating. See if you can get them to buy you a case of Sqwincher popsicles from McMaster, not because it's useful over any other hydration or cool off method but because I love the idea of PPE popsicles.

I've only ever really sustained 16 hour days over a 5-6 workday week just cause whatever is demanding you to be around for 16 hours at a time means there is a serious labor shortage and you're going to be grinding all 16 hours. Any time spent out of work just needs to focus on human needs, there is no time for any self actualization outside of work. Actualization will creep into your job even if you're in inhuman conditions so you won't go insane, probably.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

peanut posted:

I'm excited for the overtime $$$ but also have effectively committed most of that to my daughter's orthodontic treatment starting next year, lol, lmao

Dennal Plan

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

zedprime posted:

I've only ever really sustained 16 hour days over a 5-6 workday week just cause whatever is demanding you to be around for 16 hours at a time means there is a serious labor shortage and you're going to be grinding all 16 hours. Any time spent out of work just needs to focus on human needs, there is no time for any self actualization outside of work. Actualization will creep into your job even if you're in inhuman conditions so you won't go insane, probably.

Qft. If you're working 16 hour days and can still pretend you're a human being, you're probably a robot.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wowee.

Just heard from a coworker about a fun meeting!
In a group that consisted of mid and low-level employees, a VP told them "If you don't love what you're doing here, you should leave" and then proceeded to tell them that he "doesn't have to work anymore, but does it because he loves it".

What a tone-deaf, sociopathic gently caress

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Crackbone posted:

Wowee.

In a group that consisted of mid and low-level employees, a VP told them "If you don't love what you're doing here, you should leave" and then proceeded to tell them that he "doesn't have to work anymore, but does it because he loves it".

This is a sick aspirational protestant work ethic but believable factoid to this.

Compare this to it's cousin, the consumer product brand, where director and VPs will tell you if they catch any wind of a competitor in the background of a picture of you on socials you are fired immediately.

Once there was a sr director who came to the team working in a group setting making casual conversation about how she couldn't believe this zoomer intern walking into headquarters casually eating a competitor product so she talked to him like
"You know you shouldn't be doing that right?"
"Yeah, I don't think I want to work here if that's the policy"
"That can be arranged"
Then just looking for team high fives like she just defeated a posting enemy. Meanwhile the team setting is like 1/3 of us consultants who are all behind these crazy people's backs laughing at their literal child's understanding of brand loyalty if only because we are literal mercenaries interested in brand wars only so far as it keeps us working and gives us random fringe benefits.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crackbone posted:

Wowee.

"Let's trade salaries then"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just absurd embodiment of your work as an executive also reminds me of the Rex Tillerson anecdote in Private Empire where there was a safety VP who broke his leg skiing and Rex personally visited him at the hospital to tell him safety VPs do not have accidents and if it happens again he's fired, but get well soon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've had more than a few jobs that banned ear buds for no real reason. Many of these were kind of repetitive and had me doing tasks with very little to no interaction with other employees. If, on a rare occasion, someone needed to speak with me, I just removed them and it was no big deal at all but NOT having the option to listen to music or podcasts WAS kind of a big deal for me. Helps me pass the time and keeps me from zoning out but, usually, these companies try and say it's a safety issue, which is complete bullshit.

To me, it's a "this worker isn't suffering enough" issue.

I had one supervisor (who let me listen to earphones) tell me I could only listen to music, not "talk" or "spoken words" stuff. He claimed it would disrupt my concentration (?) but I just kept listening to what I wanted to anyway since how's he gonna know?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

To me, it's a "this worker isn't suffering enough" issue.

It's this 100%

Customer facing jobs? Yeah duh that makes sense. poo poo where you're doing your own thing, monotonous repetitive stuff, etc? Lol you can gently caress right off if you're trying to stop me from making that tolerable with earbuds

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Johnny Truant posted:

It's this 100%

Customer facing jobs? Yeah duh that makes sense. poo poo where you're doing your own thing, monotonous repetitive stuff, etc? Lol you can gently caress right off if you're trying to stop me from making that tolerable with earbuds

Depends a lot on what the job is. There are legitimate safety concerns in some positions if someone can't hear what's going on around them.

Sitting in your cubical listening to podcasts while punching numbers into a spreadsheet? Obviously OK, gently caress right off if some manager insists they can't do that.

Dicing vegetables in a kitchen? Sorting packages on a conveyor belt at a warehouse? Doing anything, anywhere, in a part of a business where forklifts are a thing that exist? You 110% need to be able to hear what's going on around you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ya I work in a chemistry lab and its a contentious issue. 99% of the time you're not doing anything exciting. But if some person spills sulfuric acid on themselves across the lab and you can't hear them lol well gently caress

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ya I work in a chemistry lab and its a contentious issue. 99% of the time you're not doing anything exciting. But if some person spills sulfuric acid on themselves across the lab and you can't hear them lol well gently caress

The kitchen example was because it's massively hazardous to not be aware of someone walking behind you. Step back at the wrong moment and someone's getting seriously burned.

I've never been in a lab, but I could imagine a similar safety concern for someone carrying a beaker of acid rather than a pot of near-boiling soup.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

When I was doing analyst stuff, I just had one earbud in and one out as a compromise to my needy boss who would instead of messaging me like a civilized person just howl from her office if she wanted to talk to me, is that something you could do?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I used to wear headphones over earplugs when I was working in a factory. The machines were too loud for unprotected hearing, but full volume music blasting right at them could just about cut through the plugs and still be recognisable. You always had to touch or wave in the face of people to get their attention anyway, so nobody gave a poo poo. They had flashing light emergency alarms, so it was plausibly "safe".

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I just wear one earbud so I can still hear a bit of my surroundings and still listen to dumb poo poo while getting stuff done. I’m sure some Lundberg might still have a problem with it but nobody cares here.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dicing vegetables in a kitchen? Sorting packages on a conveyor belt at a warehouse? Doing anything, anywhere, in a part of a business where forklifts are a thing that exist? You 110% need to be able to hear what's going on around you.

Bone conduction headphones are great for this. The sound quality might be a bit on the lower side, but they are 100% worth it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pyrtanis posted:

When I was doing analyst stuff, I just had one earbud in and one out as a compromise to my needy boss who would instead of messaging me like a civilized person just howl from her office if she wanted to talk to me, is that something you could do?

Oh I can't focus when I listen to stuff, I was just giving another example. Someone crying for help basically is applicable to most any work place.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I have a hangover and 3 straight hours of one on one meetings. Pray for me.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The kitchen example was because it's massively hazardous to not be aware of someone walking behind you. Step back at the wrong moment and someone's getting seriously burned.

Or stabbed.

It’s a really bad idea to wear headphones in the kitchen.

Unless you’re opening/closing and you’re chilling by yourself, then gently caress it. The actual best solution is a good Bluetooth speaker as long as everyone can agree on a type of music (or at least agree to take turns)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hot new thing in job searching: I'm running into a lot of jobs lately whose application platforms will literally not accept an application unless you indicate that you graduated from a specific list of universities - not even like, ivy-league or prestigious schools, just an incomplete list of international and domestic schools.

I'm indicating that I graduated from one of those schools even though I didn't because I still have a degree in the same thing, plus exceed all of their other requirements lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 31, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
In my experience the spreadsheets and information collected by those platforms isn't really used anyway. For every panel I have been on an admin assistant has downloaded the applications (uploaded documents) into a shared folder for all panel members to access. We never looked at it discussed any information manually typed into the portal itself.

So yeah, if you can't press 'submit' because your ieb university isn't on the list I doubt anyone would even notice, at least at any place I've worked at

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Johnny Truant posted:

It's this 100%

On of the issues on our shop floor right now is that headphone requirements were relaxed during COVID because we had less traffic and fewer people around, so visual awareness was more or less sufficient. The floor is now busier than ever due to clawing back a ton of processes from vendors and ramping things beyond 2019 levels and so they are pulling back on the earbuds. Last time I was walking the floor I was told at least two people had been hit by carts they didn't know were coming and another movie "stuff vs car" collision happened earlier that day that they are blaming entirely on earbuds. I think this is another attempt at changing stuff to what it was because shop floor employees were supposed to wear ear protection before and now they're claiming they can't hear stuff coming because of something that does something similar. We're just insanely busy and moving things at rates, and through areas, we aren't used to, not running over people because some Boomer is too busy focusing on how awesome George Strait is.

Yesterday at 4 I get told a shitstorm is coming. About half an hour later I have almost 100 new emails and a meeting notice pop into my inbox. This dude wants an X-Ray test on a series of welds, no drawings, no techniques, just "X-Ray these welds." I get in touch with this inspection house that can absolutely do the inspection if we get them the parts within the next few hours, it'll be the first thing they do in the morning despite all they have from us is a internal company spec and no drawing or image. I spend three hours essentially fighting the people demanding we help/serve them to get the parts out. "How is part shipped?" is about the first question asked. OK. Fine, I can fix this. I submit the first delivery request I've had to in years because no one on this team has ever had to send parts for processing. Too late, we'll do this tomorrow morning.

Overnight some rando remembers that they also need to process a couple test plates, but have no part numbers or specs for the vendor to inspect to, so I tell them to take a walk while we deal with the bigger issue. From the start I've been asking them to tell me how they are funding this and got no answer. That's all I need. I can make everything else work, just tell me how the vendor gets paid. Crickets. The vendor then tells me that both the inspection part and the test pieces I wanted held back were delivered (that's an escape, should have never left our facility) along with the part we're looking to have inspected. Turns out the vendor isn't even QUALIFIED to do the inspection on the test plates, so they sent parts to a vendor for a process they can't support that they weren't expecting to get because some random contractor is in control of the process. I'm about to sign off for the day and I still don't have a funding method and can't do the first thing to make the inspection happen. I told them at 9AM that it was up to them to unfuck things, It's almost 5:30 here and I still have nothing. With the long weekend coming up I was hoping they would maybe work on this, but...nope. I think all I'm learning is that the next time I get an emergency request I can just take a walk, which is probably not what they want to see.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

goatface posted:

I used to wear headphones over earplugs when I was working in a factory. The machines were too loud for unprotected hearing, but full volume music blasting right at them could just about cut through the plugs and still be recognisable. You always had to touch or wave in the face of people to get their attention anyway, so nobody gave a poo poo. They had flashing light emergency alarms, so it was plausibly "safe".

Hahaha, this made me think about when I was an employee disability liaison and I got into a fight with the property officer because he said he'd gone "above and beyond" to make sure that a new office we were opening was accessible for all employees. Meaning he'd put a flashing emergency light in the wheel chair accessible toilet and nowhere else in the whole building. Good work mate, I'm sure the three Deaf employees based there were thrilled to learn that they needed to be in a toilet booth they wouldn't usually use to be notified of a pending emergency.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The lifts at my CAR B work have a rather annCAR Coying habit of announcing which one CAR A CAR Bwill arrive in response to a floor buttCAR F#on request and I'm directly situated CAR C in front of them with no souCAR Bnd baffles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

The lifts at my CAR B work have a rather annCAR Coying habit of announcing which one CAR A CAR Bwill arrive in response to a floor buttCAR F#on request and I'm directly situated CAR C in front of them with no souCAR Bnd baffles.

Same