Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
There used to be a way to clear all cache on android through the files app and now there isn't/I can't find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know how old people are dealing with all this garbage. It’s overwhelming

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They get angry and vote Conservative to punish people

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I don’t know how old people are dealing with all this garbage. It’s overwhelming

they yell at anyone younger to "fix it".

I have at least two people in my life that watch a lot of TV and absolutely cannot or will not learn the concept of inputs. totally mystified by the concept. despite using the drat things hours a day for ages. I figured out inputs when I was like 5, shits been around since at least the 80s, what's the problem?? why do I have to fix the thing you use all the time and I use never?? shouldn't you know it better than me?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euphronius posted:

Bruh I literally work in IT and was raised by a computer (:goonsay:) and even I just get exhausted dealing with it all. I turn into an old(er) person when encountering TVs now because every UI and remote is totally different from all the others and the menus lag like crazy no matter what, and then having to type in that Ouija board interface. Soon as you learn something, it shuffles around.

Light Gun Man posted:

they yell at anyone younger to "fix it".

I have at least two people in my life that watch a lot of TV and absolutely cannot or will not learn the concept of inputs. totally mystified by the concept. despite using the drat things hours a day for ages. I figured out inputs when I was like 5, shits been around since at least the 80s, what's the problem?? why do I have to fix the thing you use all the time and I use never?? shouldn't you know it better than me?

Learned helplessness. Any obstacle, either ask for help or better yet get very angry and loud and then people will come to soothe you and do the thing for you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

My book copy of Watership Down is my older sister’s from 1978 and was passed down to me since I saw the movie several times before reading the book. Across the top it says, “America’s beloved #1 bestseller, now an enchanting motion picture!”

That's right, it's enchanting!
Don't ask where anybody is, we never asked where another rabbit is....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lagging menus are really the worst becuase there is no feedback !! You have to have faith it’s going to work

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

euphronius posted:

The lagging menus are really the worst becuase there is no feedback !! You have to have faith it’s going to work

I shop at Tom Thumb regularly and when my tank has some room I check if I have fuel rewards at the gas station. You have to hit the YES button for it to prompt you to enter your phone number, but it takes long enough for the screen to do anything that you will probably press it again, so when the screen does change and you go to start entering digits, the 2nd YES registers and you get punted back out for invalid input

I don't do it often enough to remember it, so it happens every drat time.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I have a Phillips smart TV that I like, but I don't use any of the smart features other than to turn it on and off with my voice. Everything else is through my ps5 or Kodi box, since I don't watch broadcast TV (because gently caress paying for Tory propaganda).

But the Netflix/prime apps on PlayStation are getting shittier, and the Disney app was always poo poo.

Remember how stuff like iTunes/apple music and Spotify pretty much eliminated music piracy because they gave us usable interfaces* and great content selection at reasonable prices? I feel like the film industry looked at that model and then decided to make it as loving horrible as possible. You have to have at least half a dozen services to get even half of what you want to see, and they're all determined to make the experience as annoying as possible, making piracy once again far quicker - and often in better quality - with no loving ads or dumbass algorithms trying to push garbage that I'm not interested in.

*Okay they also have increasingly poo poo UIs too. It's like they WANT us to pirate poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc Jobs was fighting the music industry every day to keep old iTunes functional

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

Iirc Jobs was fighting the music industry every day to keep old iTunes functional

Remember when the first iPhone came with an unlimited data plan because Jobs insisted that was the only way anyone would feel comfortable using the internet on their phone?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ooo fun. Youtube is managing to sneak ads by uBlock Origin somehow. Only a couple have made it through though, it's not the ad infested fest that the normal experience is. I wonder what's happening.

naem
May 29, 2011

paramount plus doesn’t work with a vpn, and crashes constantly

I can’t get through an entire episode of any of the new star tracts

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

naem posted:

paramount plus doesn’t work with a vpn, and crashes constantly

I can’t get through an entire episode of any of the new star tracts

I ran into an issue with Paramount once where it would play more than 30 minutes of commercials for a 20 minute show. I honestly don't know if it was the intended behavior.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Remember when the first iPhone came with an unlimited data plan because Jobs insisted that was the only way anyone would feel comfortable using the internet on their phone?

I had that !! And then my credit card lapsed Becuase of the date on the cc and they canceled the unlimited plan immediately hahah. I wonder if anyone is still grandfathered in

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I had that !! And then my credit card lapsed Becuase of the date on the cc and they canceled the unlimited plan immediately hahah. I wonder if anyone is still grandfathered in

if they're on ATT they probably are. I'm grandfathered into a (relatively) new ATT plan that had some crazy promotion which included HBO/Max/Whatever for life. They occasionally call to :airquote: review my plan :airquote: but nothing is better.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

hazardousmouse posted:

Ooo fun. Youtube is managing to sneak ads by uBlock Origin somehow. Only a couple have made it through though, it's not the ad infested fest that the normal experience is. I wonder what's happening.

It happens every now and then, usually ublock updates within a day to sort it out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Try these steps:
  • Go to the uBlock settings dashboard (gears icon)
  • Click "Purge all caches"
  • Click "Update now"
  • Restart browser

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Well thanks! Gonna get right on that, gently caress those ads

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

My book copy of Watership Down is my older sister’s from 1978 and was passed down to me since I saw the movie several times before reading the book. Across the top it says, “America’s beloved #1 bestseller, now an enchanting motion picture!”

somewhat related to this, I like how some new books say "has a neflix adaptation " or even more lol, a streaming service that isnt the Big 3(4?). that a book will survive David Zaslav tax holing the video adaptation

also since we're on dumb tv chat again. is there a different between commercial displays or commercial tvs?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Coming in hot with a new one: I've noticed that in recent years an increasing number of websites with search filters refresh the entire page every time you add a single filter. It makes me furious in a visceral way that I do not fully understand.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Between food being far too expensive and entertainment not only going downhill, but basically stopping now with the actors strike, it feels like a bad omen. When you cant provide the people with bread and circuses they start getting pissed.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
All this poo poo with music and movies is because in 1998 some executive spent 5 minutes with their grandson who showed him how easy it was to mass burn CDs. That's it, boom, death of a form factor. Nightmares about profits and free rides, and entire industries changed.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Microwave meals have gotten shittier. For awhile they graduated up from packaged sadness to actual decent food but have recently started to plummet right back down. I especially love that allot of them now no longer use a simple plastic film, but a plastic baggy, meaning the bottom of the tray gets covered in crap and extricating it from the baggy is unpleasant. Double so for the ones that want you to stir it half-way through, meaning you've got to negotiate the drat thing back into the wet plastic baggy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Between food being far too expensive and entertainment not only going downhill, but basically stopping now with the actors strike, it feels like a bad omen. When you cant provide the people with bread and circuses they start getting pissed.

Yeah but we got legal weed now (your mileage may vary).

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Yeah but we got legal weed now (your mileage may vary).

Even weed is weird now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In my state we just have fake weed sprayed with chemicals

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In my state we just have fake weed sprayed with chemicals

That's the worst. They know we can taste it...

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I have a Philips flatscreen from 2006 and I dread the day it stops working because it's got a surprisingly decent RGB upscaler built into it for some reason? It makes my Dreamcast games look all sexy and crisp and it's the primary reason I refuse to replace it.

That's actually just how Dreamcast games look.

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

redshirt posted:

Can you use a "smart tv" without internet? Never connect it.

Yeah, just skip the Wifi step.

My mom needed a new monitor for her PC recently and the prices for 26" LCD monitors and 48" 4K TVs were literally the same, so guess what we got.

Works like a dream. (especially for anyone with aging parents. Giant screen and 300% scaling. holy poo poo man. my folks are so happy)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Local broadcast TV.

20 some years ago you could turn on local TV programming and you'd have some decent variety in late night/weekend content to make it a bit worth keeping an eye on.

Today, even with all the subchannels on antenna, it all feels far more bland in selection.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

skooma512 posted:

Learned helplessness. Any obstacle, either ask for help or better yet get very angry and loud and then people will come to soothe you and do the thing for you.

I miss the days of being able to "fix" computers, TVs, and other electronics for people by reading the words on the screen out loud to them. These day if a grandparent asks for help with Facebook or voice controlled microwave oven or toilet that needs an app to flush it I have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Old people must love 2FA

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Armacham posted:

Old people must love 2FA

Oh.

My.

GOD.

I was part of a 2FA rollout for biometric Windows login to a law firm comprised in no small part of individuals 50 and up. The way they bitched, you'd have thought we were kneeling during the national anthem while telling them to get vaccinated.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bing home page just showed me a headline that PM Sunak had resigned

Incredible

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Local broadcast TV.

20 some years ago you could turn on local TV programming and you'd have some decent variety in late night/weekend content to make it a bit worth keeping an eye on.

Today, even with all the subchannels on antenna, it all feels far more bland in selection.

Perhaps one exception: Comet TV. I get it over the air, and its daily lineup is Stargate/Grimm/Buffy/X-Files. They have frequent Godzilla marathons on the weekend. Outer Limits, Tales from The Crypt, etc. It's great.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Who the gently caress does this poo poo benefit? Does Hyundai want their products marketed as a hosed up Kronenburg Mini Coupe?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is that website supposed to be ?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

What is that website supposed to be ?

Houston Chronicle

I know lovely AI generated ads have been a thing for a minute but I’m just now starting to see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I bought a french door refrigerator from Best Buy about a year ago, and today I still get promotional emails from them about french door refrigerators. As if I would not only be in the market for another french door refrigerator in less than a year, but if I were in the market again I would somehow be willing to buy another one from the people who sold me a poo poo french door refrigerator that crapped out after a year.