Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smart tv updated to remove the ability to exit their app and use the others the tv supports. Unless you use voice commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can you use a "smart tv" without internet? Never connect it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

Can you use a "smart tv" without internet? Never connect it.

Yes but they're starting to get that video game problem where the TVs don't work quite right out of the box and you may need updates for bug fixes.

... god the future sucks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wash bucket posted:

Yes but they're starting to get that video game problem where the TVs don't work quite right out of the box and you may need updates for bug fixes.

... god the future sucks.

We got the boring soul crushing dystopia instead of the radical soul crushing dystopia.

Was kinda hoping to at least get crushed by a flying cop car or synthetic mind control zombie virus or something. Probably just gonna get cancer from contaminated food and die in an unair-conditioned trailer while an 'smart' TV controlled by racists tells me to eat more fast food. Lame.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

redshirt posted:

I agree with this take.

Avengers works. It's all Whedon.

Weedon understands genre in his fuckin "inappropriate behavior for a show runner" bones, it's all the people going huh that looks easy that have hosed it up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Still.the most deceptive movie marketing so far

Y’all not read the book? It was popular when I was a kid, I mean it’s been out since 77.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Blue Moonlight posted:

Those were Flexplay DVDs - once they turn black, they’re unplayable coasters.

I knew someone that worked at Circuit City during this era. They had "recycle bins" for dropping off the dead discs, but the company never implemented any recycling program at all. They filled up and the entire displays sat in the stockroom for years until someone hucked them out with the regular trash when nobody was looking.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dip Viscous posted:

I knew someone that worked at Circuit City during this era. They had "recycle bins" for dropping off the dead discs, but the company never implemented any recycling program at all. They filled up and the entire displays sat in the stockroom for years until someone hucked them out with the regular trash when nobody was looking.

That was DIVX, the one you had to buy a special player from CC for and you activated over (at the time) dialup modem and could buy more time on because of a barcode or something. The first implementation of phone-home digital video media bankrupted CC, just absolutely demolished it, because they bet their entire loving future as a corporation on it, with that plan.

Flexplays were a non-starter because nobody wanted to rent DVDs from their grocery store that instantly started degrading and turned into trash within days because it was a bad idea. Disney heavily invested in those.

Times were different *checks notes* 25-12 years ago (the official death of Flexplay was 2011 lmao)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dip Viscous posted:

That's every special recycling program.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
And every plastic recycling program

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

Related to all this, I hate how every moment of tension has to be undercut by the comedy relief character getting a quip in. God forbid the audience experience a negative emotion for more than 5 seconds without someone jumping in to go "well THAT just happened!" or "awwwwkward."

Add to this how often the “comedy” is entirely based on the actor’s previous work.

Oscar Schindler stares open mouthed at the stack of hundreds of murdered Jews, their bodies being burnt in an attempt to hide the evidence. “Gasp.. and I thought they.. gasp.. smelled bad on the outside!”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
We’ve been getting walloped with a ton of rain here and the mosquitos have just tripled in amount. Like you can see them swarming, it’s awful, I’ve never gotten bitten so much since living here.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Triikan posted:

YouTube music randomly replaces my playlist songs with other versions of the song. Sometimes it's the clean version, remixes, live versions, or even covers. With some genres that I find a song I like but I'm not too familiar with (mainly electronic), the song is just lost to me forever. There's a rap song that sampled Monster by Meg and Dia that I am positive I'll never find again. Google replaced it with a dubstep song. Thanks.

Not one of these ones, per chance?

https://www.whosampled.com/Meg-%26-Dia/Monster/

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Target's website lists products from third-party sites now and it fuckin' sucks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Target's website lists products from third-party sites now and it fuckin' sucks.

God that really is the beginning of the end for any online store.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Amazon hid the Wish List functionality, removing the ability to add a bunch of stuff to a list to compare at your leisure. Everything is basically being shaped toward impulse buying.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Amazon Prime Video used to have a category called "Free to Me" and it was all the stuff included with Prime membership. Very useful when trying to navigate their trash interface.

They got rid of it, now you have to wade through all the content, a good deal of it for purchase.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

redshirt posted:

Amazon Prime Video used to have a category called "Free to Me" and it was all the stuff included with Prime membership. Very useful when trying to navigate their trash interface.

They got rid of it, now you have to wade through all the content, a good deal of it for purchase.

Removing a feature that makes it difficult to use something you specifically paid for? Why would that a be problem?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Welp, YouTube seems to have finally defeated my ad blocker. I'm seeing commercials for the first time in forever.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Nothing here yet, but there's always firefox if it's a chrome thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think I am going to get a paper newspaper subscription

This is insanity on the internet

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Welp, YouTube seems to have finally defeated my ad blocker. I'm seeing commercials for the first time in forever.

I had one ad try to play but I got a few seconds of audio with no video. Then my ad blocker shoved that poo poo back down the dark hole where it belongs.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

wash bucket posted:

lol. I remember that being a thing with new editions back when books were made of dead trees but it's kinda messed up they can do that to an ebooks you've already bought. Though I remember buying music on iTunes and having the album art randomly switch up after the fact.

My book copy of Watership Down is my older sister’s from 1978 and was passed down to me since I saw the movie several times before reading the book. Across the top it says, “America’s beloved #1 bestseller, now an enchanting motion picture!”

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wash bucket posted:

They're starting to directly stream ads packaged with videos. Ad blockers could theoretically detect this and "fast forward" you or something but for all intents and purposes it'll appear the same as any other video and will be unblockable.

Youtube is rolling this out slowly so they avoid too much backlash about it.

ergo we need a new youtube.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

in all seriousness, i'd put everything i wanna see in a cue, record it and time shift it like in ye olden days.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*mom from the waterboy voice*

internet ads are the devil!!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My TV is 15 years old and still going strong. Are all TVs "smart" now, or can you buy a normal TV and avoid all that dumb bullshit?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

You can make your own tv. Buy a caseless screen, speakers, all the components. Hook it up to a raspberry pi or something.

Surely some artisan is making and selling these already.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My TV is 15 years old and still going strong. Are all TVs "smart" now, or can you buy a normal TV and avoid all that dumb bullshit?

not really. i had to buy a smart tv recently when my 15 year old samsung died, which i wasnt happy about . but its not that big a deal, i just never connected it to the internet and only use the hdmi feeds. so it behaves just like a regular tv, thankfully

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You can get "monitors" or there's a commercial version meant for sports bars and other displays.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

anonumos posted:

Amazon hid the Wish List functionality, removing the ability to add a bunch of stuff to a list to compare at your leisure. Everything is basically being shaped toward impulse buying.

I still wish list often, it's just a small text link :(

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

wash bucket posted:

Best Buy's Insigia TVs still come in not smart flavors and they're the ultimate old person TV. My Dad burned through a bunch of Samsung TVs he hated until he found one of these. He loved it so much he went back to Best Buy and bought a second one as a spare.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pray for my tv. I don't think I can handle this twenty-first century.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Gotta Time Dive to get one of those fucknormous sony trinitrons from right before the LCD switch.

The letterboxing/snapped spines from carrying it will be worth it. Maybe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

not really. i had to buy a smart tv recently when my 15 year old samsung died, which i wasnt happy about . but its not that big a deal, i just never connected it to the internet and only use the hdmi feeds. so it behaves just like a regular tv, thankfully

I bought a TV last year and specifically paid extra for a model that wasn't a smart TV. Every time I turn it on, it wants me accept a licensing agreement and connect to the Internet and I have to cancel out of it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Random Stranger posted:

I bought a TV last year and specifically paid extra for a model that wasn't a smart TV. Every time I turn it on, it wants me accept a licensing agreement and connect to the Internet and I have to cancel out of it.

Have you considered connecting it to the internet? Then disconnecting it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Have you considered connecting it to the internet? Then disconnecting it?

At this point hitting cancel is more me flipping the bird to "smart" features than anything else.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Where are the hackers fighting against all this stuff? William Gibson promised I'd be able to find a guy in a sewer pipe that could fix my poo poo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Triikan posted:

Where are the hackers fighting against all this stuff? William Gibson promised I'd be able to find a guy in a sewer pipe that could fix my poo poo.

They all got jobs with cyber security firms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I have a Philips flatscreen from 2006 and I dread the day it stops working because it's got a surprisingly decent RGB upscaler built into it for some reason? It makes my Dreamcast games look all sexy and crisp and it's the primary reason I refuse to replace it.