Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A Moose posted:

She's not that good at it though, is she? She's a 4-drop that fetches a swamp, and maybe lives to do it again

Shes not, people just want that card for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

A Moose posted:

She's not that good at it though, is she? She's a 4-drop that fetches a swamp, and maybe lives to do it again

She isn't, as far as I know, but I'm pretty sure she's in a weird middle ground between having a weird mechanical effect, only being from core sets people weren't desperate to open packs for and being a named character people would want to collect all the cards for that means she's worth more than she really should be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A Moose posted:

I imagine playing her on two after a turn one Sol Ring and getting to guarantee a few land drops is pretty good. Even gives you enough time to protect her.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

can also ult immediately if you have doubling season out :v:

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure every 4 drop is good if you can play it turn 2.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Kadath posted:

I’m pretty sure every 4 drop is good if you can play it turn 2.

Not wood elemental :colbert:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Shes not, people just want that card for some reason

ohhhhh, I get it, its for horny reasons. Just like Karlach

Edit: In other news, apparently I have a Lake of the Dead also! This zombie deck is gonna be fun, I'm just going to win by swinging with piles of tokens. And I guess make tons of mana. So far I have a Lake of the Dead, Cabal Coffers, Urborg, fake Cabal Coffers that only works for basics, Nykthos, and Crypt of Agadeem.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 30, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Man, wotc played it way too loving safe with Cabal Stronghold. It either needs a reduction in the activation cost, or removal of the "basic" rider or something. If it was 4,t: add B for each swamp you control, it'd be fine as a fixed coffers, or if it was 1,t: add B for each basic swamp you control it'd be okay

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

A Moose posted:

ohhhhh, I get it, its for horny reasons. Just like Karlach

People do want Karlach for horny reasons but Karlach is also a good card

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I ordered the Eldrazi precon deck because I loving love Eldrazi. I normally don't play commander - my normal playgroup just doesn't like it - but I've started playing with some buddies from work and they enjoy commander. I have four decks, all janky except a pricy sliver deck.

I playtested it right out of the box and it seems solid. Missing some of my favorite big boys but I don't think I want to rob anything from either of my two normal Eldrazi decks... it's almost like it's 50/50 Eldrazi/Golems but it seemed to work. Played it against my sliver commander deck and it won after turning a manaweft sliver into an ox and essentially crippled the sliver deck's abilities to generate the colors it needed to work (a bad draw didn't help the sliver deck, for sure)

Long-term I'm throwing some Spawnsires in there, some Pathrazers, maybe some of the titans if I can spare another set...

What's the general consensus on this precon, or Eldrazi commander decks in general? I never play competitively and like I said, when I do play it's rarely commander, so I'm not familiar with the meta.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Most of the BG3 character cards spiked some since the game came out. It helps that most people felt that the set they’re was bad, I guess, so they were low but now have gone up from demand.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CornHolio posted:

What's the general consensus on this precon, or Eldrazi commander decks in general? I never play competitively and like I said, when I do play it's rarely commander, so I'm not familiar with the meta.

I've played against it a half dozen times and it's solid. It's good at presenting a "hockey stick" threat curve, you're doing absolutely nothing for the first 4 turns so someone else is the threat, then you're untapping 7+ colorless mana with a 2 mana discount on spells and cascading eldrazi nonsense. I'd expect it to play well at casual tables, even relatively high powered ones.

TotalHell posted:

Most of the BG3 character cards spiked some since the game came out. It helps that most people felt that the set they’re was bad, I guess, so they were low but now have gone up from demand.

Stealing this idea but it was a missed opportunity for them to create pre-cons around each of them and get ahead of that demand. I play a Baldur's Gate commander though, so I'm a little biased.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I still have a lot of fun with my modified Capn Nnngathrod Horror tribal, mill and steal your poo poo precon. Probably the cheapest precon to modify and make it super nasty.

It never really dawned on me that CL: Baldur's Gate was also supposed to parallel the video game as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

I've played against it a half dozen times and it's solid. It's good at presenting a "hockey stick" threat curve, you're doing absolutely nothing for the first 4 turns so someone else is the threat, then you're untapping 7+ colorless mana with a 2 mana discount on spells and cascading eldrazi nonsense. I'd expect it to play well at casual tables, even relatively high powered ones.

Stealing this idea but it was a missed opportunity for them to create pre-cons around each of them and get ahead of that demand. I play a Baldur's Gate commander though, so I'm a little biased.

I think they really missed a lot of timing/crossover synergy all around with MtG, BG3, and the movie. Commander seems an obvious place for tie in decks for their own IP but a nightmare to sync up I reckon

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Jiro posted:

I still have a lot of fun with my modified Capn Nnngathrod Horror tribal, mill and steal your poo poo precon. Probably the cheapest precon to modify and make it super nasty.

It never really dawned on me that CL: Baldur's Gate was also supposed to parallel the video game as well.

Yeah it seems like the set was crafted with the idea it would release alongside the game. Probably not the best bet trying to make something align with a video game release date.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's a shame that the movie tie-in was just a secret lair, because it's a lot of fun, and really goddamn funny. Those characters' cards deserve wider availability :mad:

Also the movie has one of the greatest playing-against-type cameos in history, Bradley Cooper as a halfling homebody :haw:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Yeah it seems like the set was crafted with the idea it would release alongside the game. Probably not the best bet trying to make something align with a video game release date.

The game was out in EA with all of those characters for several years before the set came out though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

JawnV6 posted:

I did find a pretty decent review here which kind of matches what I saw when I played. It also gives me a good idea of what needs to come out versus what should stay. I think I need to find a way to rely less on the commander and his double-cascade ability.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

A few of my friends from another tcg and I have been dabbling with Commander lately but one of them is spending way way more money on singles than the rest of us combined and I'm running out of way to skirt around teling him I don't think we're ever going to be playing commander together. I've offered to play Arena, draft tournaments, and even suggested we go to a pre release, but the dude is 20 and can't stop himself from playing obnoxious cards in games with far smaller card pools than Magic. He's really excited about it as well. :(

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Redezga posted:

A few of my friends from another tcg and I have been dabbling with Commander lately but one of them is spending way way more money on singles than the rest of us combined and I'm running out of way to skirt around teling him I don't think we're ever going to be playing commander together. I've offered to play Arena, draft tournaments, and even suggested we go to a pre release, but the dude is 20 and can't stop himself from playing obnoxious cards in games with far smaller card pools than Magic. He's really excited about it as well. :(

Lol what games/cards does he play?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Redezga posted:

That's life, tbh. Not everyone chooses the same paths and makes the same decisions.

It's a bummer for your playgroup in that sense, but he's going to just have to take higher-power commander play to a different group.

Similar thing happened in my local cEDH group. Couple of my friends decided they weren't into it anymore and wanted to go play Modern instead, and I had no interest in following. So it goes.

Stick to your boundaries and encourage him to play on your preferred style of Commander, and if he doesn't, tell him it just ain't happening.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Redezga posted:

Is it a money issue or the semi balance offered by budget limits? If it's the former there's really no reason to not embrace the many cheap or free ways to play with whatever card you want in commander.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lol what games/cards does he play?

His first game was Yugioh, lol. We met through Battle Spirits Saga which only just released its second set, but every other day he's posting a card in the group chat he's planning to buy that can create a <5 turn win condition unless every other play targets him.

Framboise posted:

That's life, tbh. Not everyone chooses the same paths and makes the same decisions.

It's a bummer for your playgroup in that sense, but he's going to just have to take higher-power commander play to a different group.

Similar thing happened in my local cEDH group. Couple of my friends decided they weren't into it anymore and wanted to go play Modern instead, and I had no interest in following. So it goes.

Stick to your boundaries and encourage him to play on your preferred style of Commander, and if he doesn't, tell him it just ain't happening.

That's kind of the bummer of the situation. We all just wanted to play it to casually broaden our idea of tcgs. We actually have another guy in our group in his thirties who has been playing since he was 6 and has a $400,000 collection, but he refuses to play any of us out of fear of killing our interest in the game. He's been trying to guide the guy towards maybe trying to find a pod a bit more advanced, but because this 20 year old dude is very inexperienced and the idea of power levels is a semi loose concept its hard for him to give any solid directions out concern of again killing interest in playing Magic.

Khanstant posted:

Is it a money issue or the semi balance offered by budget limits? If it's the former there's really no reason to not embrace the many cheap or free ways to play with whatever card you want in commander.

None of us are loaded but have semi decent disposal income for tcgs, but we're already all playing one or two others so picking up Magic was meant to be just sort of a casual thing because singles are mostly pretty affordable and commander really only demands you have one copy. He could feasibly scale down or just wait until we gradually scale up, but I know him well enough that he's not going to really know how to scale down without creating some sort of guarantee for himself. None of us are really knowledgable enough about Magic to really know what would be considered an overpowered card outside of looking up how much a single version of it would cost. He doesn't even want to be a toxic player, but his sole idea of avoiding being a toxic player is a personal choice not to play a blue deck.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 31, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Just play the game and raise concerns afterwards if it continues to be an issue, what's so hard about that

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

You know what, you're probably right and I'm just overthinking it. If the balance ends up being truely out of whack and it can't be addressed for one reason or another at least we'll all be able to come to some tangible reason why.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I vote you all Thoracle him repeatedly. The combo is like $20.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Redezga posted:

He doesn't even want to be a toxic player, but his sole idea of avoiding being a toxic player is a personal choice not to play a blue deck.

Aphrodite posted:

I vote you all Thoracle him repeatedly. The combo is like $20.

Okay I’m on the power gamer’s side now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Redezga posted:

None of us are loaded but have semi decent disposal income for tcgs, but we're already all playing one or two others so picking up Magic was meant to be just sort of a casual thing because singles are mostly pretty affordable and commander really only demands you have one copy. He could feasibly scale down or just wait until we gradually scale up, but I know him well enough that he's not going to really know how to scale down without creating some sort of guarantee for himself. None of us are really knowledgable enough about Magic to really know what would be considered an overpowered card outside of looking up how much a single version of it would cost. He doesn't even want to be a toxic player, but his sole idea of avoiding being a toxic player is a personal choice not to play a blue deck.

Regardless of income, especially when just dipping in or new to a game, you don't know if you like a card as much as you think you might or not sometimes until you play with it. You can print out or write the cards rule text on a paper and stick it in a sleeve and it's as good as the real thing. Between games you can just scribble out a new card if you need to tweak your deck or try out something new. Sometimes your opponents have a card that would be perfect for your deck while you've drawn some turd in yours and why not make that deck adjustment with a price of paper and pen since you can?

Price of cards doesn't really correlate reliably to toxicity or power level, and what feels toxic or sucky will depend on the group and vibe and phase of the moon. And a lot of it takes care of itself to an extent, winning and losing can be fun but you definitely know when you or what you're playing is just sucking the life out of the party and it sucks so you want to avoid it if you feel it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Just use proxies wtf.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I threw this together for funsies, and I like how many microsynergies it has.

https://archidekt.com/decks/5267662/lands_but_fun

I feel like I need a few more pieces of interaction, and should make room for a beast within at a minimum. This is for a group that skews casual, so something like a mox diamond or a wheel would really stick out in terms of power.

Is there anything obvious I’m missing in these colors? My maybe board has stuff like harrow, gamble, both of the tatiyovas, oracle of muldaya. I purposefully want to try a deck with no rocks, and based around lands but no landfall. The land pile is probably not super tuned, and is based around proxies I have to spare.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 1, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

MFW not Moxfield: :argh:
This site don't even load the card images on the overview.
Gamble is pretty cool as an extra copy of Life from the Loam, not sure what else it would be getting. I might swap around some of the ramp spells and lands to play more that cost 2 like Three Visits.
If someone wanted to be pedantic Valakut Exploration has Landfall.
Laelia the Blade Reforged is a good beater that gets a lot better with Valakut Exploration.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Gamble is pretty cool as an extra copy of Life from the Loam, not sure what else it would be getting. I might swap around some of the ramp spells and lands to play more that cost 2 like Three Visits.
If someone wanted to be pedantic Valakut Exploration has Landfall.
Laelia the Blade Reforged is a good beater that gets a lot better with Valakut Exploration.

Awesome! It feels a little janky playing so few basics with more than a few cards that fetch strictly basics, but it also feels like a lot of the non-basics are pretty essential, and this can probably do enough with valakut in the late game. I’m very bad at building decks, and especially manabases.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I love that Prismatic Omen has dropped down to like 2 dollars.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

I love that Prismatic Omen has dropped down to like 2 dollars.

I hope Anime Smothering Tithe goes down more in foil. It's sitting at $90 right now.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I want the Japanese art Blood Moon so I can jam it into a Berserk themed deck

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Yeah it does?

(Also Archidekt does nice stuff like being able to drag cards over from Scryfall to add them to the deck)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got my bonus from work soooo put in a 280 MPC order and have started building my dargons (changelings) deck :stoked: still slowly upgrading my Jetmir as well, kinda wanna see just how competitive I can make him...

Ordered Maldhound's treasure deck in the MPC order cause it looked hilarious

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/z4EwOTdl7vU?si=Gq0o5i6W18jmCFZs

Prof's breakdown of the precons along with making the point that the W/G precon has a bunch of the same reprints that the Abzan Enchantments precon has.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I figured most precons from now on were just gonna be a fat chunk of reprints in each and all they'd do is swap commanders and slap it all in a new 80+ dollar set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Wrong thread woooops

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 3, 2023