Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Well in his defense, poo poo is actually broke. I thought he was just pushing poo poo off on me as usual but this time something is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Tell them next time you lead with “help! poo poo is broke!”

I need to start forcing 4:30 cutoffs on people walking up to my desk. There’s a 90% chance that if you walk up to me at 4:50 asking if I can do something tomorrow for you, I’m going to forget it, if I’m even listening to what you’re saying while I’m closing up for the day.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHC9VhSnxiL9wsc6FGDme+yDFfTGC0nMKTGObC_WJ3+TZqdR5Q@mail.gmail.com/

Now that's interesting indeed, although this probably should be in the infosec thread.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

jaegerx posted:

why the gently caress did I respond to a slack message "you there" at 6pm? God drat it

jaegerx posted:

Well in his defense, poo poo is actually broke. I thought he was just pushing poo poo off on me as usual but this time something is hosed.

You're a saint. I'm sure many of us have been in that spot when things are going to poo poo after-hours and we have to start scrambling for help. I'm usually happy to help others out if I'm free (assuming they don't have a habit of abusing that life-line).

This makes me remember how much I disliked being on call for the hospital and receiving those 0130 calls from the NICU because they can't order medications for the new baby. Having to make phone calls to other teams and hoping they wake up.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

jaegerx posted:

Lazy dudes on other teams going “I can’t find the problem on my end so it is therefore an issue on your end.” really gently caress over the unlucky dudes who actually try but just have a system doing weird poo poo you’ve never seen before and didn’t know it could even do

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It was aws.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The nice thing about my current place is that the nanosecond it hits 5pm I stop existing and I''ve never been asked or expected to come in outside hours, knock on wood.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

My manager just tapped me on the shoulder and said "Hey, here is a 10% bump, thanks for your efforts"

Pretty happy with that tbh

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

The nice thing about my current place is that the nanosecond it hits 5pm I stop existing and I''ve never been asked or expected to come in outside hours, knock on wood.

Sounds like it is the only nice thing :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's autocomplete! It's just loving glorified autocomplete!!!

If you think ChatGPT or whatever other AI Services is just glorified auto-complete I am going to say you need to play around with a lot more. A lot more. Or check out Jensen's Taiwan University graduation speech.

mllaneza posted:

A VR/AR app I'm super impressed with is Nanome. It's a molecular modeling and visualization program, with an API that lets it offload the heavy calculations to our compute cloud. That last bit lets us do useful scientific work on an Oculus headset. The UI is very well designed, and the collaboration features work great - people in the same room using AR see an avatar of remote people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDz6x24hYKE

This is what Zucc. has been getting super excited about with AR/VR but it's so often overshadowed as hype or just too buggy. In theory, you can immediately have anyone, anywhere in the world almost in the same room and collaborate so much better than just using something like Zoom or Teams. You have a digital whiteboard and also able use digital visual elements to troubleshoot problems which is super cool for anyone who's worked on big complex scientific problems or just learning something complicated in general.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

NPR Journalizard posted:

My manager just tapped me on the shoulder and said "Hey, here is a 10% bump, thanks for your efforts"

This reads like a Penthouse article

(Seriously though, good for you — are you hiring?)

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

NPR Journalizard posted:

Ha, that’s rad. Meanwhile we’re in the midst of hiring a new engineer for firewall/VPN, and they’ve had me being the lead on VPN for the past 14 months.

I’m an admin, they started the conversation by admitting they pulled a fast one by having me be lead on it in the first place, and I should be getting paid more for that work. But no talk of that actually happening, and I only got the middle of the pack annual salary increase.

They were audacious enough to ask if we even wanted the new engineer on VPN, and if I even wanted to stop being the lead on it. They need to pull their heads outta the sand if they ever think I’d want to keep doing that work and have them admitting I’m not getting paid enough for it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If you think ChatGPT or whatever other AI Services is just glorified auto-complete I am going to say you need to play around with a lot more. A lot more. Or check out Jensen's Taiwan University graduation speech.

I've been playing around with it since GPT2, including messing with the base Transformer libraries. It sucks for anything but autocomplete. I'm not watching whatever AI shill garbage you're linking me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s great at producing weird ersatz poo poo someone who was locked in a closet the first 11 years of their life might come up with

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the natural consequence of using reddit in your training data tbh

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the biggest problem with ai right now is that something like 90% of the people talking about it are either grifters or rubes and that really takes the air out of the room for any useful nuanced discussion

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m still mad people are calling it AI when the same ML stuff has been around (and been used to great effect) for ages at this point. ChatGPT is a dumb parlor trick

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the parlor trick being "steal, pirate, and extort to make the largest text dataset ever then spend 6 figures a day on compute "

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
My friend and I tried to use ChatGPT to solve a Magic: The Gathering deck building problem and it failed miserably but was very polite the entire time. :v: Oh benevolent skynet! The pro tour does not await you!

For those interested:

We were trying to solve the ideal ratio of mountains to Lightning Bolts in the old rules (no 4 copy limit) to achieve a turn four win. We couldn’t get it to understand that on turn four it just needed to play one Lightning Bolt and did not need to play a Mountain.

We eventually did the math ourselves and believe it’s 15 mountains on the play, 14 on the draw.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jaegerx posted:

why the gently caress did I respond to a slack message "you there" at 6pm? God drat it

Please, please just put the details of the request in the message you send me. "You there?" won't get a response. "The controller is down" will. :cripes:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

kung fu jive posted:

My friend and I tried to use ChatGPT to solve a Magic: The Gathering deck building problem and it failed miserably but was very polite the entire time. :v: Oh benevolent skynet! The pro tour does not await you!

For those interested:

We were trying to solve the ideal ratio of mountains to Lightning Bolts in the old rules (no 4 copy limit) to achieve a turn four win. We couldn’t get it to understand that on turn four it just needed to play one Lightning Bolt and did not need to play a Mountain.

We eventually did the math ourselves and believe it’s 15 mountains on the play, 14 on the draw.

I remember there was a channel that tried to do a video of playing each other with ChatGPT generated decks and they all had to try repeatedly to get it to even make a legal deck, and some of them just gave up and replaced illegal cards with extra lands.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Maybe this was already posted, but just in case: https://techxplore.com/news/2023-08-chatgpt-showdown-stack.html

quote:

Researchers found what many already suspected: A significant number of ChatGPT's answers to programming questions were inaccurate or flat-out wrong. Ironically, however, when subjects were asked to compare responses from Stack Overflow and ChatGPT, 40% said they preferred ChatGPT's responses. Why? Because of the "comprehensiveness" and persuasive "articulate language style" of ChatGPT's answers.

Researchers said that 52% of 512 ChatGPT responses to questions were incorrect. Disconcertingly, among the responses preferred by test participants, 77% were wrong.

Even when ChatGPT's responses were blatantly wrong, 2 out of 12 subjects still preferred ChatGPT's answers over Stack Overflow's.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The internet is so hosed lmao

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I remember there was a channel that tried to do a video of playing each other with ChatGPT generated decks and they all had to try repeatedly to get it to even make a legal deck, and some of them just gave up and replaced illegal cards with extra lands.

I could see this having the potential to be really funny. I’ll try to find it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Partnering with Microsoft is so painful. ‘He we need you to do a whole BCDR program for [loving huge client] with 1500 VMs think you can wrangle their app teams and IT and put it all together for $100k? And future proof it for their next three datacenter evacs?’

No, I don’t. For fucks sake you cheap bastards

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

kung fu jive posted:

I could see this having the potential to be really funny. I’ll try to find it.

I think it was this one? I don't think I watched it all the way through so I have no idea how it went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr5PotVyXPg

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
eventually people will realize how slow constraint solvers are even at extremely well-defined, structured problems, and if something that purports to be a solver gives you any answer quickly, it's pulled out of a hat

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I am so excited for LLM regurgitated pink slime to poo poo up the entire internet to make phishing emails sound smarter and make google even more poo poo then it already was.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The internet is so hosed lmao

I had to tell Bard four or five times that the parameters it was using in PowerShell cmdlets were completely made up before I gave up and just wrote the script myself

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Wibla posted:

Sounds like it is the only nice thing :smith:

I mean, there's other good things. They're really good about accepting PTO even with no or little notice, the health insurance is paid for, and sheer incompetence means I get to do things I really shouldn't be mostly because I'm the only one interested. They really shouldn't have me setting everything up for Intune but they are and I plan on using it extensively during my next job search cycle.

Thanks Ants posted:

I had to tell Bard four or five times that the parameters it was using in PowerShell cmdlets were completely made up before I gave up and just wrote the script myself

It's literally just a generator for work emails, a lot of obvious bullshit said with sincerity and a veneer of politeness over nothing of substance. Pretty sure you could replace most C-suites with chatGPT with no ill effect.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

I mean, there's other good things. They're really good about accepting PTO even with no or little notice, the health insurance is paid for, and sheer incompetence means I get to do things I really shouldn't be mostly because I'm the only one interested. They really shouldn't have me setting everything up for Intune but they are and I plan on using it extensively during my next job search cycle.

It's literally just a generator for work emails, a lot of obvious bullshit said with sincerity and a veneer of politeness over nothing of substance. Pretty sure you could replace most C-suites with chatGPT with no ill effect.

I have definitely had ChatGPT "revise" a bunch of emails to add the businessese that I can't be assed to for important stuff sent to my boss/higher ups.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Fool posted:

the biggest problem with ai right now is that something like 90% of the people talking about it are either grifters or rubes and that really takes the air out of the room for any useful nuanced discussion

It's this.

There's a podcast network I listen to, and two of the hosts decided to do an episode all about AI in light of the chatgpt craze. I neglected to listen to it (only heard a preview of it where they used voice clips of themselves assembled by AI as their smoking gun) because one of the hosts is a huge blowhard and constantly has terrible misinformed takes that he presents as "expert knowledge", so I doubt his episode long take on AI would be any different.

Anyways this guy constantly goes on rants about how we're all on the verge of being out of a job due to AI and that AI is going to fully replace all writers and actors at some point in the next five years. It's very :jerkbag: because while I recognize the potential AI has, it is not nearly as apocalyptic as this guy makes it out to be.

So anyways if someone has some nuanced discussion or article about it, please send them my way cause I am tired of the rubes and grifters making GBS threads things up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

So anyways if someone has some nuanced discussion or article about it, please send them my way cause I am tired of the rubes and grifters making GBS threads things up.

emily bender
timnit gebru

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Here's the thing about LLM-source code. It's generating its code based on what its trainers have trawled on the Internet. Now, ask yourself what there's more of online:

A. Code being posted in hopes of a fix/do my homework
B. Working code presented as an example or answer.

I'm going with A.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's this.

There's a podcast network I listen to, and two of the hosts decided to do an episode all about AI in light of the chatgpt craze. I neglected to listen to it (only heard a preview of it where they used voice clips of themselves assembled by AI as their smoking gun) because one of the hosts is a huge blowhard and constantly has terrible misinformed takes that he presents as "expert knowledge", so I doubt his episode long take on AI would be any different.

Anyways this guy constantly goes on rants about how we're all on the verge of being out of a job due to AI and that AI is going to fully replace all writers and actors at some point in the next five years. It's very :jerkbag: because while I recognize the potential AI has, it is not nearly as apocalyptic as this guy makes it out to be.

The issue is that its not going to be perfect its gonna be good enough. The 6 writers in your PR department axed down to two, a prompt generator and someone else to clean up the pink slime that the LLM generates or something like that. I can completely see this sort of future happening.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am sceptical that it can be "good enough". The AI use cases that Google like to demo are expanding a three sentence prompt into a side of corporate waffle and then turn that into the most generic looking presentation you've ever seen before some C-level asks the AI to summarise that all back into a few sentences. Everything is going to end up sounding so bland and safe that it will be immediately obvious that an AI created it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

LionYeti posted:

The issue is that its not going to be perfect its gonna be good enough. The 6 writers in your PR department axed down to two, a prompt generator and someone else to clean up the pink slime that the LLM generates or something like that. I can completely see this sort of future happening.

Yeah I don't think that's far fetched at all, but the way this guy is talking about it it's clear A) he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about to begin with and B) he thinks it will replace everyone. Full stop.

I have no doubts some studio will attempt to make an AI written movie with some AI assets "acting" or something within the next few years, but I do doubt that it's going to wipe out the entire writing and acting industry overnight.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/08/30/tech/gannett-ai-experiment-paused/index.html

Front page of CNN. These stupid AI products can’t even write boilerplate generic articles about high school sports that pass the sniff test for dummies reading the Columbus Dispatch.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LionYeti posted:

I have definitely had ChatGPT "revise" a bunch of emails to add the businessese that I can't be assed to for important stuff sent to my boss/higher ups.

Politepost is awesome for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody here use a ticket system they actually enjoy interacting with or creates a better/more positive experience for end users? I'm just curious to see if anyone has had any success stories, because my general experience with ticketing systems has been fairly negative my entire career.