Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Watched the start of the Fastnet race yesterday. Watching the Ultims thunder away is pure :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

and the seller said I can do one after buying it. Not exactly a good sales pitch.

Run away. You absolutely can have a survey done prior to a sale and anyone who is slightly cagey about that is hiding something. It's not 2021 and boats aren't selling for obscene prices sight unseen anymore.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Step 1 build a guillotine

then attach a 600-800 1950's french diesel

Detach the transmission from the coupling

Run a line to the mast so the motor doesn''t swing back

WINCH!

Find out why the motor ate it rings and has no compression

WINCH!!

Put some cheap osb down so the teak doesn't get too banged out

Remove the old house batteries

move the motor to the companionway

dismantle the moto into pieces.

LIFT!!!!

House bank was heavy so use your halyards

Summer happens and your old AC use doesn't work

RIP AND TEAR!!

Install the new AC

Baby Gator Break

Install a new 48v battery invertor/charger/mppt

Receive a rat's nest

and Metal

And a magic pixie box

plus whatever this stuff is

and I guess an electric motor

ASSEMBLE!

DISASSEMBLE!!

ASSEMBLE!

get annoyed and buy a light pack off of amazon with built in fast charging

Get annoyed at the old shower

Get a fancy thermostatic auto adjusting shower unit

MOUNT THE METAL!

Bring out the mini guillotine

More work to be done here, but future me problem

Commodore Starfish inspecting my work

IT LIVES
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4E4vmh01ReA

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Nice work, excellent catte, saucy winch. 10/10

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Excellent refit, but

The mode button on your thermostat is flipping you off, which is pretty rude. You should find a more polite thermostat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It was a good day to do some single handed sailing on the Puget Sound.

Also apparently I forgot to reserve the boat, and emailing the club with a float plan was enough to make them think I'd reserved the boat, so I was surprised to get a phone call letting me know we all made a mistake and could I please have the boat back by 11?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Assuming its been done properly, is there a reason that a shrink wrapped boat can't be towed on the highway (for a couple hours) other than stones might poke holes in it?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Assuming its been done properly, is there a reason that a shrink wrapped boat can't be towed on the highway (for a couple hours) other than stones might poke holes in it?

I see wrapped boats on the highway all the time. The shrink wrap... isnt' gonna have stones poke holes in it. It's ~thick~ stuff. Like, they install zippers into it for access thick.

I feel like there's more to ask here. Like.. I wouldn't buy and transport a boat without a thorough inspection first. And that isn't happening with the wrap on it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Most new boats are shrink wrapped before transport from what I have seen, go for it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Nerobro posted:

I see wrapped boats on the highway all the time. The shrink wrap... isnt' gonna have stones poke holes in it. It's ~thick~ stuff. Like, they install zippers into it for access thick.

I feel like there's more to ask here. Like.. I wouldn't buy and transport a boat without a thorough inspection first. And that isn't happening with the wrap on it.

Thanks.

I bought the boat brand new in the spring, I'm just thinking about options etc for getting it winterized.

After I get (somewhere) to change the oil, impeller, winterize the engine etc. I might get it shrink wrapped or I might just wrap it in a couple tarps.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

gently caress tarps, one storm and a grommet will pull out and it will flap around and scratch poo poo up, get covered storage or wrap for great success.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Big Taint posted:

gently caress tarps, one storm and a grommet will pull out and it will flap around and scratch poo poo up, get covered storage or wrap for great success.

Backing this up. Doing a good job tarping a boat is.. hard. When shrinkwrap became viable that's what all the smart people went with.

hydrocarbonenema
Mar 4, 2017

Fun Shoe
So after a lot of research and wanting to get out on the water for a while, I said gently caress it and joined freedom boat club. It’s… a lot of fun. Make a reservation or just call, head over and boats ready to go. Have some very nice Cobias for fishing, sea rays and pontoons for cruising. They even have a loving zodiac which is a total blast.

I have a bunch of kids and just didn’t want to worry about all the other poo poo. I can boat year round here so it’s not too bad- price is reasonable- I pay 240 a month and made a lump sum 1500 payment when I joined. I didn’t get the platinum plan which is considerably more expensive, but I can make two reservations (reservation is for 6 hours) one of which can be a Saturday or Sunday and call anytime I want, if there is a boat I get it even on weekends. I have never called and not had a boat available in a month of membership. With my work schedule I end up having a lot of weekdays off so it works out for me.

Best thing is that there is a place by my work and another by my house. So the other day I just picked up a Cobia after work and raced down the river at 50mph and back for the fun of it, just by myself. Was out for maybe 40 minutes, 10 bucks of gas, tipped the dockhand generously and was home. Next day took the wife and kids in the sea ray, anchored and swam. Kids were smoked after 4 hours anyway so I don’t think we will run into issues with the time limit at this point.

Eventually I think I do want to get into ownership but now is not that time. Not trying to be a shill because there are definitely down sides, including limited time slots and issues reserving boats on the weekend. They also will not let you take out the boats with a small cr aft advisory (probably a good thing) or after sunset.

hydrocarbonenema fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 24, 2023

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A service similar to that in Seattle is partly how I got into boating about a decade ago. It's actually a pretty good way to get exposure to a lot of boats and have fun, I thought the two seasons I paid for were well worth it.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
The sailing center my wife and I took lessons from also rents the sailboats to graduates. It’s been a great way to get more experience without committing to buying a boat just yet. I have a overnight sailing trip with them next month on a 38 foot sloop that I am really excited about!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So I'm finding that leaving it till the week before you sail across the Pacific to try to replace your rigging is not a great idea.

Supposed to leave on Monday and done everything but the backstay and forestay (which it turns out I need a piece for that I can't get till Monday)

My last boat I refit over 5 years, this one has been over 18 months which really is not long enough!!!

If you are going to go swageless though, the Haynes marine ones are really really good. The setting ring makes a huge difference

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 26, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Screaming deal for anyone on the west coast. Olson 30 for sale $4900 near Portland but even with transportation costs is basically free

https://www.olson30.org/show-ad/?id=21407Listing&fbclid=IwAR1cOtZ7NIRIe7OnoQno4FyquhEFPkpQHI9diUAKfTajZNxqk_dlXJozPmc

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
loving Simpsons making me read "motivated seller" and hearing "that boat is on fire" in my head.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Screaming deal for anyone on the west coast. Olson 30 for sale $4900 near Portland but even with transportation costs is basically free

https://www.olson30.org/show-ad/?id=21407Listing&fbclid=IwAR1cOtZ7NIRIe7OnoQno4FyquhEFPkpQHI9diUAKfTajZNxqk_dlXJozPmc

Somebody is getting divorced, I see. Possibly two somebodies, depending on the buyer.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Do boat sales go the way of motorcycle sales in the winter and you can get a great deal? There's some decent lil boats that include a slip for the 6 weeks of sailing left but if I can get something better in the offseason I'd probably just do that

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Depends on the area, but now's probably the best time to buy. Once everyone shrinkwraps their boats and arranges storage, most people aren't going to want to entertain a bunch of tire kickers instead of trying to get a better deal on the spring.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Do boat sales go the way of motorcycle sales in the winter and you can get a great deal? There's some decent lil boats that include a slip for the 6 weeks of sailing left but if I can get something better in the offseason I'd probably just do that

generally yes

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't speak for places where freshwater literally freezes over in the winter (:wtc:) but in my experience

Private sales: these just go up for sale when they go up for sale and are entirely dependent on the sellers personal situation. Cruising season in Baja Mexico or Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean can impact prices

Broker sales: this is largely seasonal yeah even in places like California with no discernable seasons. February/March/April are peak listing season

Biggest impact on prices is the economy/interest rates. Boats are the first thing people sell/last thing people buy in an economic crisis, so they trade hands for a song. The value of an average quality J/105 can be $85,000 during low interest rates, but $45,000 during a financial crisis and low low liquidity

Right now interest rates are 7% for homes so probably close to 10 or maybe even 12% in some cases on boats and prices will have to reflect the cost of financing, but the job market right now is still really strong so who knows. We financed our boat at a hair over 4%

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 30, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

February is boat-buying season; It is known. :haibrower:

(California) boat registration renews on a calendar year, its the coldest/shittiest weather of the year, and everyone has to pay taxes. September after Labor Day would be a distant 2nd IMO.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

After 2 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYF719RcNfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72EgNPHfXR4

I got it moving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcySF9i4oA

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:monocle:

all the details, now :colbert:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

:monocle:

all the details, now :colbert:

scroll up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3682371&perpage=40&pagenumber=88#post533768498

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Hell yeah, congrats!

My water pump died yesterday. I can't be too mad, I knew it was going, and the manufacturing date on it was August 2007 so it was original to the boat. So I replaced it today with the closest match from the same manufacturer, it's about 25% higher pressure, which is wonderful. Makes showers even better.

I think I forgot to actually post an update in the thread but I've now had the 12.6kWh/990Ah Victron house bank system running without any issues or hiccups for the past few months. I still need to tweak a few values on the the Wakespeed WS500 with regards to my 170A Balmar alternator to get the most out of it, but everything runs beautifully.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 2, 2023

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Congrats! Love an electric sailboat! Are you going to be able to get regen from the prop when sailing?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

raggedphoto posted:

Congrats! Love an electric sailboat! Are you going to be able to get regen from the prop when sailing?

supposedly yes, don't know how much yet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wargames posted:

supposedly yes, don't know how much yet.

Do you have solar or another source of charging, or do you just do short enough trips that you expect the battery bank to be good enough for what motoring you'll need to do?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

The Locator posted:

Do you have solar or another source of charging, or do you just do short enough trips that you expect the battery bank to be good enough for what motoring you'll need to do?

No way of charging yet, right now it gets me in and out of the slip so good enough. I will have solar and a diesel gen, but other things need to come first like new chainplates.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How do I reliably get rid of water spots on my windshield? Fresh water.

Should I just keep a jug of windex and some rags on board? I've been using invisible glass, but its not that great at dealing with the spots.

Windshield is glass, not plexiglass or acrylic or whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there any products comparable to sunbrella on the market now or are they still the only game in town for something like a permanent mainsail cover expected to last 10+ years

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I took a look at Seattle Fabrics, and they list Sunforger as a good alternative to Sunbrella, at about half the cost. https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Marine-Grade-Awning-and-Cover-Fabrics_c_62.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm looking at doing a deck cover at my house and I had some goons in the homeowner thread suggest a bunch of stuff with names I've never heard of. I can't tell if the rest of the market has caught up with sunbrella or if they're just spamming Google search results. I have a bunch of sunbrella on my boat and my mom's boat and generally it seems to last 10-15 years no problem. Nobody I know has ever complained about sunbrella

SV delos got their canvas redone in south Africa but barely got three years out of it due to "counterfeit sunbrella" and I think the stuff they got put on after has been on for 5+ years with no issue

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Wheeee

https://imgur.com/a/BvNrgbd

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Looks like a big ol pile of money right there.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

The Locator posted:

Looks like a big ol pile of money right there.
It was, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

5 digits worth of goods.