Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Stexils posted:

any game that implements chatNPCs will end up like pillars of eternitys backer characters. people will talk to them up to the point they realize the dialogue is meaningless as well as poorly written at which point theyll never talk to an npc again. except where in pillars you could just avoid gold characters itll be for every NPC.

It's like when dungeons are auto-generated, you stop giving a poo poo about them because there's no purpose to anything, no personality, it's just some stuff slapped together. You can't point to any part of the NPC and say that it gives them depth, because none of it is depth, it's just procgen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Araxxor posted:

Oh that looks neat- wait it's from the person who made Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass? Oh hell yeah I'll be keeping an eye on that!

this made me perk up like a meerkat

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

:sickos:

Kasey really enjoys writing games set in doomed worlds huh

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh also it's probably worth noting it has a kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hymntotheearlessgod/hymn-to-the-earless-god

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oof, $120k in a month is really optimistic. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass was great but extremely niche compared to other indie rpg’s du jour

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Isn't the dev Canadian? And specifically French Canadian at that?

Yeah, and based in a part of Québec where there are few English speakers. Despite that, the French translation is absolutely dire.

It keeps the original English sentence structure and mostly preserves the original English word order. The translation seems to have been done within-sentence clause-by-clause instead of sentence-at-a-time or paragraph-at-a-time. It uses French cognates for colloquial English expressions when those cognates feel clunky or less natural in French ("versed in the ways of alchemy" becomes "versé dans l'art de l'alchimie", "in my haste" becomes "dans ma hâte", "to be sure" becomes "pour sûr"). It's a "please look forward to it"-rear end approach to translation/localisation, you can tell very precisely and accurately what the original English was from reading the French script.

It's also obviously not copy-edited. I saw two verbs conjugated wrong in the first seven lines.

I switched back to English as soon as I could.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

oof, $120k in a month is really optimistic. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass was great but extremely niche compared to other indie rpg’s du jour

To be fair in terms of quality it absolutely deserves to be treated on the same level, it's just the sad adventures of cancer boy is a real fuckin' hard sell.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm not nostalgiac for Chrono Trigger at all, because I really hated the Prehistoric chapters.

I feel the second wave of RPG throwbacks are in that Shovel Knight zone in that they succeeded at not just channelling the old games, but outright exceeding them. Pillars 2, Original Sin 2, Octopath 2 aren't tribute acts, but proper follow-ups that are better than what came before.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fridge corn posted:

Isn't the dev Canadian? And specifically French Canadian at that?
I'm sure Thierry wrote the script in English first and they probably outsourced all the localizations. It sounds like Thierry is writing a separate Quebecois script expected to be released later this year.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

whoa holy poo poo yes please

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so it is a poorly edited game featuring timed hits? well, good to know.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxxidation posted:

actually you have to break their defense, wait a second for them to go into a unique idle pose, and then use another specific attack to take advantage of their weakpoint

know which guides forgot about that second step? loving ALL OF THEM

:psypop:

That fight was when I decided to just stop bothering with boss achievements, both because of that unmentioned bullshit and also because of the aforementioned cutscene for a boss item that I missed and didn't have a savefile that could do it without losing something like 6-7 hours of game time.

TurnipFritter posted:

Suikoden 1 + 2 officially delayed until next year, just like Eiyuden

Hopefully this means the upscaling and UI will be redone to not look like utter garbage. Stuff like going into the Rune menu and seeing stuff like "Pl Gt Rune" instead of just "Pale Gate" due to limited space and forcing in a redundant "rune" on to every rune name is one of those things that should've been axed the second a dev looked at it, not survive to make it into a reveal video.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so it is a poorly edited game featuring timed hits? well, good to know.

I feel bad laughing at this but so far this is a succinct description of the first 2 hours of the game

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Earless God drawing a lot of inspo from Lennus of all things has definitely piqued my interest. Paladin's Quest was such a weird little game, but I loved it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I decided Sea of Stars probably wasn't for me when the lead dev said he'd been developing the main characters since he was a kid. That tells me he's so into his own ideas that he's not going to be able to judge them fairly.

And as someone who does a lot of writing and editing for a living, I can't stand when people think they can bypass experts and do the writing themselves. It's an actual skill and you suck at it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
thiss im snoop cruise! jst wamted to talk and agree with fittzy fi. hire writing to do all mine posts typicly. this is me typng 4 fist time!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
while on some level i agree with the idea that if you want good writing you should actually hire a good writer, defining it around "experts" is some dork rear end poo poo. like heaven forbid people feel passion for their own creations and not care about turning out the best product by hiring an "expert", lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I have to assume that the “expert” is just for proofreading but that’s a dead profession these days

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Oxxidation posted:

I have to assume that the “expert” is just for proofreading but that’s a dead profession these days

if its a dead profession, that would explain all your bad posts!!! B)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I decided Sea of Stars probably wasn't for me when the lead dev said he'd been developing the main characters since he was a kid.

if true then from what I've seen he hasn't really made any progress from his initial ideas as a kid lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
did i come across as too mean in my recent posts? people be honest with me, i am having a sudden crisis. wait i need to undercut the sincerity in this post by calling you all b*tches or something.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

if true then from what I've seen he hasn't really made any progress from his initial ideas as a kid lol

Two hours in, and the main characters' personality is, for both of them, "Yeah! Awesome! I'm excited to go on an adventure with my friends!".

They have a friend who is normal and doesn't have magic powers and insisted on accompanying them on a dangerous thing. He lost an eye doing it, and Dumbledore shows up and says "haha guess you won't be making that mistake again!" and then nobody mentions the eye ever again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sirens blaring as i attempt to create my own art. the lights go out for a moment, and then the expert artists burst onto the scene. they bash me in the face with my keyboard and execute me by slamming a pen through my chest, killing me instantly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

And as someone who does a lot of writing and editing for a living, I can't stand when people think they can bypass experts and do the writing themselves. It's an actual skill and you suck at it.
how DARE you create art

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm not trying to gatekeep art lol. The devs seemed really happy about hiring great composers for the game, so they obviously care about incorporating quality talent and assets, but for some reason writing is often overlooked in otherwise good games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its an actual skill. do not do it in order to get better at it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snooze Cruise posted:

did i come across as too mean in my recent posts? people be honest with me, i am having a sudden crisis. wait i need to undercut the sincerity in this post by calling you all b*tches or something.

FWIW I think you had a point. Writing is an art not a science, you're not guaranteed to get a better story just because you have a bunch of writing degrees from writing school working on it (as opposed to like making a bridge where you would want qualifications like that).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of the most famous writers in the games industry is a guy whose prior experience was working in a mortuary and being scared of ghosts. he channeled this into writing the ultimate story about how much ghosts scare him, killer7

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

less mean and more silly. especially in game development, where dedicated writers (ie staff who focus on the script and nothing else) tend to be under large studios only

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

toby fox, known professional writer. thats why undertale's writing was so beloved

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
when i get scared of ghost, i always tell myself maybe the ghosts are all cute women and that they think im cute to make it less scary. this is not a joke but a geniue thing i do when the fear takes me at night.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pinterest Mom posted:

They have a friend who is normal and doesn't have magic powers and insisted on accompanying them on a dangerous thing. He lost an eye doing it, and Dumbledore shows up and says "haha guess you won't be making that mistake again!" and then nobody mentions the eye ever again.

I don't understand this complaint, what are they supposed to say 10 years later? "Wow you're still missing that eye huh? hosed up!"

My actual complaint for that guy is that he lost his left eye, but when you're moving in the south-west direction, they just flip his sprite so that the eye that's missing is the sprite's right eye. Booo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a good thing ryukishi07, noted guy who played ff5 and was bad at working with kids, hired a professional writer to channel those experiences into his visual novel, or else it wouldnt have been popular

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

one of the most famous writers in the games industry is a guy whose prior experience was working in a mortuary and being scared of ghosts. he channeled this into writing the ultimate story about how much ghosts scare him, killer7

holy poo poo i didnt know he was an undertaker,

suda rules

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Two hours in, and the main characters' personality is, for both of them, "Yeah! Awesome! I'm excited to go on an adventure with my friends!".

I laughed when even for more serious moments his character portrait is unchanging from his empty-headed grin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zun and ryukishi07 went the extra mile by also not hiring an artist

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Will you all take it less personally if I replace "expert" with "competence"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

It's like when dungeons are auto-generated, you stop giving a poo poo about them because there's no purpose to anything, no personality, it's just some stuff slapped together. You can't point to any part of the NPC and say that it gives them depth, because none of it is depth, it's just procgen.

procgen can be molded and given plenty of personality if time and effort is spent on it, i.e. Caves of Qud is oozing with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Will you all take it less personally if I replace "expert" with "competence"

the issue is that nobody who does professional writing in the western games industry is competent