Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1696873455440871833

I wasn't even aware there was a regime like this for Ukraine. I'm honestly amazed that a ghoulish company like Amazon is doing this, they could've just done nothing and no one would really have noticed, but instead they stepped up and did something for, presumably, no other benefit than some PR that as far as I figure most people have never heard of.

I'd be surprised if the commission they are foregoing haven't ended up on the books as tax write-offs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
It's very interesting how Ukraine is positioning themselves internationally. Not only politically but in other fields. They're strongly supporting musicians and athletes to keep performing internationally. They of course won Eurovision last year, but I saw a small Ukrainian band perform last weekend and I know Go_A were touring this summer. This Amazon move makes them commercially a bit more interesting as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PurpleXVI posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a regime like this for Ukraine. I'm honestly amazed that a ghoulish company like Amazon is doing this, they could've just done nothing and no one would really have noticed, but instead they stepped up and did something for, presumably, no other benefit than some PR that as far as I figure most people have never heard of.

Eh, encouraging widespread adoption until local sellers go under and then putting in higher rates is basically their entire business model to date. This just is good timing and a way to cash in some goodwill.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Slashrat posted:

I'd be surprised if the commission they are foregoing haven't ended up on the books as tax write-offs instead.

Yeah it's the same as that offensive poo poo they used to do where they'd tell you how much Amazon Smile had contributed to charity. It's cheap PR from a megacorp that doesn't pay any taxes, while it positions itself favourably in the country.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Ukraine is probably giving Amazon a poo poo-ton of tax breaks, too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slashrat posted:

Maybe the Ukrainian tax code is especially weird, but I don’t know how that would be possible. Is there any jurisdiction in the world where you can write off “our prices could have been higher” against income? How do you see that working?

(Not that Amazon pays taxes anyway, really.)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's to get activist investors to view them more favorably. They'd do the same for Russia if public opinion was reversed

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it’s PR and establishing market share among sellers as the UA market grows/rebuilds, FWIW. It’s a small amount of foregone commission to risk now versus a greater share of GMV in a post-war Ukraine brimming with foreign investment and aid.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I too get very angry when companies try to make money by supporting things I like.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

I too get very angry when companies try to make money by supporting things I like.

No one else seems especially angry. Check in with your therapist.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looking for the strings attached to a deal from an international megacorporation sounds like a pretty healthy approach to reality to me.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Crab Dad posted:

To me it really seems like internal Russian action to whip up a frenzy for mobilization…

Il-76:es are important, not replaceable and Russia only had 112 of them. They would not be destroying those willingly.

Flikken posted:

Bezo's thinks being not-Musk will save him from the pitchforks

To be clear, Bezos actually hates him a lot. He's not against Musk because of some PR stuff, but because Musk is a jackass who has pretty deliberately snubbed Bezos every chance he gets.

Antigravitas posted:

Amazon probably assumes that Ukraine will receive better access to and quicker integration into the EU single market and wants to establish market share early.

Also Bezos is at the stage of his life where he thinks more about spending money than making it. A lot of his causes are, well, not inspiring, but some are. This might just be one the latter, instead of a 5-d chess move to make more money.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe the Ukrainian tax code is especially weird, but I don’t know how that would be possible. Is there any jurisdiction in the world where you can write off “our prices could have been higher” against income? How do you see that working?

(Not that Amazon pays taxes anyway, really.)

VAT and other product taxes(like for fuel) has been lifted in case of emergency in other European countries during covid and the early price spike after the war. The percentages mentioned by amazon seem likely to be a VAT equivalent.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Amazon have also, fairly quietly, been working with the Ukrainian government on internet security, hosting Ukrainian services on AWS free of charge, and have been funding an online healthcare service where all sorts of healthcare services are accessed remotely on (mostly) Amazon's buck.

https://www.kmu.gov.ua/en/news/amaz...vi-ta-ekonomici

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Begun the Corporate Wars have.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
E: too late

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tuna-Fish posted:

Il-76:es are important, not replaceable and Russia only had 112 of them. They would not be destroying those willingly.

Yeah, it feels like if Russia was going to try and false flag, they'd hit civilian targets to make Ukraine look evil, rather than hitting military targets that make themselves look weak.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlowBloke posted:

VAT and other product taxes(like for fuel) has been lifted in case of emergency in other European countries during covid and the early price spike after the war. The percentages mentioned by amazon seem likely to be a VAT equivalent.

Amazon can’t waive VAT unless they were paying it themselves, and that’s pretty different from a commission (which Amazon is quite public about charging to sellers). Why is it more likely that it’s some VAT thing than just what they said it is, omitting commission?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, it feels like if Russia was going to try and false flag, they'd hit civilian targets to make Ukraine look evil, rather than hitting military targets that make themselves look weak.

And even beyond how it looks, there are plenty of available military targets where the Russians can just shrug and go "we have reserves". Il-76:es are absolutely not one of those, they are an important strategic asset that isn't being made anymore and doesn't have a replacement.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

Amazon can’t waive VAT unless they were paying it themselves, and that’s pretty different from a commission (which Amazon is quite public about charging to sellers). Why is it more likely that it’s some VAT thing than just what they said it is, omitting commission?

In most eurozone countries, the vat is paid by the e-commerce platform if they are the payment endpoint. Amazon will then manage the VAT if the seller is fulfilling the sale(VAT offloaded to the seller)or if it's just stocking the warehouse(VAT paid by amazon). If ukraine worked in the same way and told amazon, "We will let you avoid VAT if you lower the commission", it's feasible.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Amazon's whole thing is examining every market at every level with massive amounts of data and calculating how to loss lead so that in five or ten years time they turn around and make an enormous mountain of money

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

In most eurozone countries, the vat is paid by the e-commerce platform if they are the payment endpoint. Amazon will then manage the VAT if the seller is fulfilling the sale(VAT offloaded to the seller)or if it's just stocking the warehouse(VAT paid by amazon). If ukraine worked in the same way and told amazon, "We will let you avoid VAT if you lower the commission", it's feasible.

I think these are Ukrainian sellers who are using Amazon for distribution, so it's likely they're selling into the EEA and using Amazon to handle FX and VAT.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Who had Block Ships on their 2023 bingo card? Because I wish I did.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russia-sinks-line-of-its-own-ships-to-protect-kerch-bridge

I’d be laughing quite a bit harder if they hadn’t already murdered tens of thousands of Ukrainians. It’s like the worst episode of keystone kops.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Amazon has been working in Ukraine since before the war. Ring was originally a Ukrainian startup I believe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PurpleXVI posted:

Eh too much is going on I was thinking those attack in Moscow.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PurpleXVI posted:

brb setting up a drop shipping company for JO crystals in Ukraine

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MrYenko posted:

Who had Block Ships on their 2023 bingo card? Because I wish I did.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russia-sinks-line-of-its-own-ships-to-protect-kerch-bridge

I’d be laughing quite a bit harder if they hadn’t already murdered tens of thousands of Ukrainians. It’s like the worst episode of keystone kops.

:raise: This is only going to make them want to target the bridge more as a continued "gently caress you" to the meager Russian countermeasures.

The Sea Baby's draft is only like...a meter, right? (Though, not loaded with nearly a ton of explosives, granted.) I can't imagine a few sparse artificial reefs stopping them from sneaking up on the bridge. Particularly since they already have perfect IMINT on their locations.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

AlternateNu posted:

:raise: This is only going to make them want to target the bridge more as a continued "gently caress you" to the meager Russian countermeasures.

The Sea Baby's draft is only like...a meter, right? (Though, not loaded with nearly a ton of explosives, granted.) I can't imagine a few sparse artificial reefs stopping them from sneaking up on the bridge. Particularly since they already have perfect IMINT on their locations.

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t chain the boats together, or put fencing of some kind between them. Even the article says they likely will do so. They did something similar around Sevastopol.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gonna laugh if they somehow managed to make a sick rear end ramp for the next explosive boat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its like that one mission in Waves of Steel where you drive your battleship with jet boosters off a ramp while blasting.

Its a fun goon made game you should play it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'd assume you would simply run one boat into the strung barrier, and then drive the others through. Maybe it's similar to relying on artillery to cut wire in WW1 though, and you just end up with an un-cleared barrier and a lot of assets bunched under the guns.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Or just fly over the drat thing with an explodey UAV launched from a USV.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Or just fly over the drat thing with an explodey UAV launched from a USV.

Unfortunately there's a bit of a gap between "small uav payload" and "amount of HE required to really gently caress up a bridge but good"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ramp
ramp
ramp
RAMP
RAMP

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If they're planing-hull boats, they might be able to jump it without a ramp.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
How deep is the draft on a hydrofoil?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Why doesn't Russia just use the big sausage tenders that showed up after the COLE got bombed? Put them babies around the bridge and watch the Sea Bahbes bounce off of them with a comically loud "BOIOIOIONG", laughing while they don't see the missiles coming straight down to wreck their poo poo?

Seems like a good plan to me.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Flikken posted:

On a normal size passenger boat moving at speed, anywhere from 12-18 inches.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Automatic Retard posted:

That’ll do, Prig, that’ll do.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Flikken posted:

Datapoint: the Philippine Navy lost a hydrofoil patrol boat when it struck a basking shark.